Sol Rabinowitz on Mojo
Intheway
2005-11-04 22:54:33 UTC
What follows is part of an email received today from Sol Rabinowitz in
response to the email I sent him yesterday.

Roger, you will note that he refers specifically to "unreleased" songs,
which would be consistent with the earlier recording date of Mojo by
Ann Cole.

Thanks to Doug, I think we have a pretty definitive answer to this one.

I did extend an invitation to join the group.

---------------

Fred,

Thanks for your interest.

These are the facts: I worked with the author of Got My Mo Jo Working
(Preston Foster) for approximately a year after he first came to see me
at my office, selling his songs. He came with a guitar and tape
recorder, and sang the songs himself. I realized he had a way with
lyrics, and felt that he might create something really worthwhile. One
day he walked in with Mo Jo. I was planning a second session with Ånn
Cole, and the song seemed perfect for her. She loved it and learned it
in an hour. We recorded the song a few days later, along with "In the
Chapel" and two others. I decided to release "In the Chapel" first,
feeling that both songs had a good chance for success. "In The Chapel"
did very well, reaching near the top of the R&B charts. By this time
Ann was touring with many important artists, having been voted "The
most promising Female Vocalist of the Year" by Cash Box magazine. She
was booked for a tour throughout the South as the opening act for Muddy
Waters. She performed with his band backing her up. I happened to see
the show at a club in Hollywood, Florida while on a vacation in Miami
Beach and heard her singing Mo Jo in the show. I had asked her not to
perform any unreleased songs on stage, to avoid just this problem. I
had had a similar incident with a group called the Rivileers who sang
the songs they had recorded at a house party before they were released,
and lo and behold, a version of one of their songs was released before
the Rivileers version, and became a hit.

Of course, Ann Cole ignored me and was singing Mo Jo all over the South
with Muddy's band. He went back to Chicago after the tour and told
Leonard Chess of Çhess Records he had written a new song that he
wanted to record. It was recorded and released the same week as the Ann
Cole version. My Baltimore distributor who was also Chess' distributor
called to tell me he had received samples of both recordings on the
same day. Fortunately, Ann Cole's record did better on the charts and
in sales than Muddy's record at that time. This information I received
directly from Leonard Chess when I called him to tell him he had
recorded a song published by my company and that he owed us royalties
for the sales of Muddy's recording. He signed a mechanical license
agreeing to pay us royalties and I thought the problem was solved. Over
the years we have had legal action concerning the song, but today, that
is over, and the song is now acknowledged to be Preston Foster's.

----------------------
S***@aol.com
2005-11-04 23:04:29 UTC
Post by Intheway
feeling that both songs had a good chance for success. "In The Chapel"
did very well, reaching near the top of the R&B charts.
It scraped on to the chart, which was a top 15 at that time, and peaked
at # 14.
Post by Intheway
I had had a similar incident with a group called the Rivileers who sang
the songs they had recorded at a house party before they were released,
and lo and behold, a version of one of their songs was released before
the Rivileers version, and became a hit.
Can we find out what song this was?
Post by Intheway
Of course, Ann Cole ignored me and was singing Mo Jo all over the South
with Muddy's band. He went back to Chicago after the tour and told
Leonard Chess of Çhess Records he had written a new song that he
wanted to record.
If we can believe this account than "Muddy Waters the Thief" would be
an accurate name for the thread I started.....which means if any of his
heirs ever want to hire you for anything you'll have to turn them
down.....you don't work for the spawn of a thief.

Post by Intheway
in sales than Muddy's record at that time.
Neither record charted nationally, but I saw no evidence of the Cole
version being a bigger hit than the Muddy when I went through
Billboard's regional charts years ago....in fact the Muddy was
definitely the bigger of the two based on the charts that I saw.
Intheway
2005-11-05 00:24:22 UTC
Post by S***@aol.com
Post by Intheway
Of course, Ann Cole ignored me and was singing Mo Jo all over the South
with Muddy's band. He went back to Chicago after the tour and told
Leonard Chess of Çhess Records he had written a new song that he
wanted to record.
If we can believe this account than "Muddy Waters the Thief" would be
an accurate name for the thread I started.....which means if any of his
heirs ever want to hire you for anything you'll have to turn them
down.....you don't work for the spawn of a thief.
Waters was stopped from unfairly profiting from someone else's work.
Too bad the same can't be said about the Lubinsky family, who, as
you've told us, have taken great delight in that practice.
Post by S***@aol.com
Neither record charted nationally, but I saw no evidence of the Cole
version being a bigger hit than the Muddy when I went through
Billboard's regional charts years ago....in fact the Muddy was
definitely the bigger of the two based on the charts that I saw.
Psst! Bruce!!!! The Billboard charts, especially the R&B charts of
the 50s, were notoriously inaccurate and incomplete, for reasons we've
gone over a number of times here. You can continue to ignore these
facts, but they won't go away.

So what we've got her is a disagreement between someone who was there,
and who was receiving the publishing money on both versions of the
song, who says the Cole version initially outsold the Waters version,
and someone 50 years later, relying on charts almost everyone agrees
were of truly dubious accuracy, who says the Waters song was the bigger
seller.

Yep, I'll go with Bruce on this one. I mean, he's so certain about
those charts, he's got to have it right this time.
S***@aol.com
2005-11-05 02:10:55 UTC
Post by Intheway
Post by S***@aol.com
Post by Intheway
Of course, Ann Cole ignored me and was singing Mo Jo all over the South
with Muddy's band. He went back to Chicago after the tour and told
Leonard Chess of Çhess Records he had written a new song that he
wanted to record.
If we can believe this account than "Muddy Waters the Thief" would be
an accurate name for the thread I started.....which means if any of his
heirs ever want to hire you for anything you'll have to turn them
down.....you don't work for the spawn of a thief.
Waters was stopped from unfairly profiting from someone else's work.
Too bad the same can't be said about the Lubinsky family, who, as
you've told us, have taken great delight in that practice.
I'm sure Muddy got a way with it other times. Once a thief, always a
thief.
Post by Intheway
Post by S***@aol.com
Neither record charted nationally, but I saw no evidence of the Cole
version being a bigger hit than the Muddy when I went through
Billboard's regional charts years ago....in fact the Muddy was
definitely the bigger of the two based on the charts that I saw.
Psst! Bruce!!!! The Billboard charts, especially the R&B charts of
the 50s, were notoriously inaccurate and incomplete, for reasons we've
gone over a number of times here. You can continue to ignore these
facts, but they won't go away.
Are you going to tell that to Rabinowitz when you reply to him? He
mentions the charts himself a couple of times.
Post by Intheway
So what we've got her is a disagreement between someone who was there,
and who was receiving the publishing money on both versions of the
song, who says the Cole version initially outsold the Waters version,
and someone 50 years later, relying on charts almost everyone agrees
were of truly dubious accuracy, who says the Waters song was the bigger
seller.
That's assuming that he's being honest, with is a huge assumption. He
may just want to come off like his version was more popular after all
of these years. Anybody around here remember hearing the Ann Cole
version back then as opposed to the Muddy Waters version?

Of course there's no possible chance that Chess under-reported their
sales to grab some money that they should have had to pay for
publishing either, right?
Intheway
2005-11-05 04:09:38 UTC
Post by S***@aol.com
That's assuming that he's being honest, with is a huge assumption. He
may just want to come off like his version was more popular after all
of these years. Anybody around here remember hearing the Ann Cole
version back then as opposed to the Muddy Waters version?
Of course there's no possible chance that Chess under-reported their
sales to grab some money that they should have had to pay for
publishing either, right?
I'm just going to leave you to your rich fantasy life on this one,
Bruce.

We've got the word of someone who was there, and has nothing to gain or
lose by spinning things one way or another. On the other hand, we've
got you, making up theories as you go along, just to keep up the
pretense you have a clue what you are talking about.

Game, set and match to Rabinowitz.
a***@gmail.com
2005-11-05 05:43:49 UTC
John The Conqueror root would have been a helpful aid throughout this
interesting thread and its predecessor. It's getting tougher and
tougher to find here in NY.

Bob
DianeE
2005-11-05 13:44:15 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
John The Conqueror root would have been a helpful aid throughout this
interesting thread and its predecessor. It's getting tougher and
tougher to find here in NY.
---------
Since the gentrification of Harlem, you betcha. Try luckymojo.com or
Miller's Rexall Drugs and Curios in Atlanta.

DianeE
Roger Ford
2005-11-05 13:54:29 UTC
On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 13:44:15 GMT, "DianeE"
Post by Intheway
Post by a***@gmail.com
John The Conqueror root would have been a helpful aid throughout this
interesting thread and its predecessor. It's getting tougher and
tougher to find here in NY.
---------
Since the gentrification of Harlem, you betcha. Try luckymojo.com or
Miller's Rexall Drugs and Curios in Atlanta.
LOL!! I had to read that twice!

I thought you said the GENTILIFICATION of Harlem :)

ROGER FORD
-----------------------
an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Roger Ford
2005-11-05 12:13:36 UTC
Post by Intheway
What follows is part of an email received today from Sol Rabinowitz in
response to the email I sent him yesterday.
Roger, you will note that he refers specifically to "unreleased" songs,
which would be consistent with the earlier recording date of Mojo by
Ann Cole.
Very interesting especially since it appears to back up Mike
Leadbitter's original assertion to this effect in "Blues Unlimited".

Thanks for posting

ROGER FORD
-----------------------
an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Intheway
2005-11-05 15:06:02 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Very interesting especially since it appears to back up Mike
Leadbitter's original assertion to this effect in "Blues Unlimited".
If you can get back to primary sources, you can usually find out what's
true and what's not. I can imagine that it took Leadbitter weeks, if
not months, to verify this one piece of information, which only
increases the respect his work is due. The fact that it took less than
24 hours this time only tells me we are truly living in an age of
miracles.