*%~+=NEW THIS WEEK=+~%*
Roger Ford
2003-11-02 03:42:39 UTC
Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
not quite so memorable records (and as we get nearer to the end of the
year the odd Christmas record or two starts creeping in!) listed and
reviewed as NEW RELEASES by "Billboard" this week in.....

1953 (Oct 31)

Jim Reeves - Bimbo (Abbott 148)
The Flamingos - Carried Away (Chance 1145) (sic!)
The Robins - Ten Days In Jail (RCA 5489)
Cliff "King" Solomon - Lil Daddee (Okeh 7010)**
Clarence Green - Bad Shape Blues (Monarch 701)**
Fats Gaines - Home Work Blues (Big Town 108)**

1954 (Oct 30)

The Ames Brothers - The Naughty Lady Of Shady Lane (RCA 5897)
Smiley Lewis - Too Many Drivers (Imperial 5316)
Joe Houston - All Night Long (Money 203)
Claud Cloud - Beginners Mambo (MGM 11847)**
Curtis Irvin - Cheatin' On Me (RPM 417)**
The Ramblers - Please Bring Yourself Back Home (MGM 11850)**

1955 (Oct 29)

Frankie Laine - A Woman in Love (Columbia 40583)
Little Richard - Tutti Frutti (Specialty 561)
Andre Williams - Going Down To Tia Juana (Fortune 824)
The Diablos - The Way You Dog Me Around (Fortune 518)
Shirley & Lee - Lee's Dream (Aladdin 3302)
Joe Miller - I Found The One I Love (Herald 464)**

1956 (Nov 3)

Bing Crosby - Around the World (Decca 30120)
Little Brenda Lee - I'm Gonna Lasso Santa Claus (Decca 30107)
Screamin' Jay Hawkins - I Put A Spell On You (Okeh 7072)
The Dukes - Wini Brown (Imperial 5415)
Al (Minnie) Boyd - Thanks For The Blues (Middle Tone 012)**
Billy Ford & Nightriders - Confessing (United 167)**

1957 (Nov 4)

The Crickets - Oh Boy! (Brunswick 55055)
The Drifters - Yodee Yakee (Atlantic 1161)
Dee Clark - 24 Boyfriends (Falcon 1005)
The Sprouts - Teen Billy Baby (RCA 7080)
The Five Chums - High School Affair (Excello 2123)**
Rollee McGill - People Are Talking Pts 1 & 2 (Kaiser 592)**

1958 (Nov 3)

Jimmie Rodgers - Bimbombey (Roulette 4116)
Wade Flemons - Here I Stand (Vee Jay 295)
The Pharaohs - Pray For Me (Ranson 100)**
The Versatiles - Crying (Atlantic 2004)**
The Click-Etts - But Not For Me (Dice 100)**

1959 (Nov 2)

Marty Robbins - El Paso (Columbia 41511)
Santo & Johnny - Teardrop (Canadian-American 107)
King Curtis - Heavely Blues (Atco 6152)
Chan Romero - My Little Ruby (Del-Fi 4126)
Titus Turner - We Told You Not To Marry (Glover 201)
Brad Suggs - I Walk The Line (Phillips International 3549)

1960 (Oct 31)

Connie Francis - Many Tears Ago (MGM 12964)
Bobby Darin - Christmas Auld Lang Syne (Atco 6183)
Ferrante & Teicher - Exodus (United Artists 274)
Lloyd Price - (You Better) Know What You're Doin' (ABC 10162)
Carl Perkins - Honey 'Cause I Love You (Columbia 41825)
The Hawk - In the Mood (Phillips International 3559)

1961 (Oct 30)

The Coasters - (Ain't That) Just Like Me (Atco 6210)
Chris Kenner - Something You Got (Instant 3237)
Vic Dana - Little Altar Boy (Dolton 48)
The Crystals - There's No Other (Like By Baby) (Philles 100)
Timi Yuro - Smile (Liberty 55375)
The Jive Five - Never Never (Beltone 1014)

1962 (Nov 3)

Nat "King" Cole - Dear Lonely Hearts (Capitol 4870)
The Exciters - Tell Him (United Artists 544)
The Excellents - Coney Island Baby (Blast 205)
The Dovells - The Jitterbug (Parkway 855)
Johnny & Hurricanes - Sheik Of Araby (Big Top 3125)
Carole King - School Bells Are Ringing (Dimension 1004)

1963 (Nov 2)

Jerry Lee Lewis - Hit The Road Jack (Smash 1857)
The Raindrops - That Boy John (Jubilee 5466)
Bob & Earl - Harlem Shuffle (Marc 104)
The Chiffons - I Have A Boyfriend (Laurie 3212)
Hank Jacobs - So Far Away (Sue 795)
The Four Pennies - When The Boy's Happy (Rust 5070)

** these I have'nt heard as far as I know (and unless I've heard it
and forgotten it there is an ATLANTIC record in there this week!!)

This weeks teaser in two parts.....

1) THREE (yes count them!) listed acts either also appear under a
different name in this weeks list--or they're otherwise heavily
related to the other act listed

Who are they and what are the other names involved?

2) A record listed here is an answer record to a famous hit by another
artist who is also listed here (tho NOT with the record concerned).

What is the answer record and which artist had the original record it
answers?

Hmmmmmm......oh dear what can the answers be?

ROGER FORD
-----------------------
an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Mark Dintenfass
2003-11-02 03:50:35 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
2) A record listed here is an answer record to a famous hit by another
artist who is also listed here (tho NOT with the record concerned).
What is the answer record and which artist had the original record it
answers?
Titus Turner's, "We Told You Not To Marry" is an answer record to Lloyd
Price's "I'm Gonna Get Married."

There, I finally got one!
--
--md

Remove xx to respond
Roger Ford
2003-11-02 18:50:21 UTC
On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 21:50:35 -0600, Mark Dintenfass
Post by Mark Dintenfass
Post by Roger Ford
2) A record listed here is an answer record to a famous hit by another
artist who is also listed here (tho NOT with the record concerned).
What is the answer record and which artist had the original record it
answers?
Titus Turner's, "We Told You Not To Marry" is an answer record to Lloyd
Price's "I'm Gonna Get Married."
There, I finally got one!
Ahhhh but that was not the only time Turner answered Price on a
record.

Know what the other one was?

ROGER FORD
-----------------------
an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Mark Dintenfass
2003-11-02 19:37:32 UTC
Post by Mark Dintenfass
Post by Roger Ford
2) A record listed here is an answer record to a famous hit by another
artist who is also listed here (tho NOT with the record concerned).
What is the answer record and which artist had the original record it
answers?
Titus Turner's, "We Told You Not To Marry" is an answer record to Lloyd
Price's "I'm Gonna Get Married."
There, I finally got one!
Ahhhh but that was not the only time Turner answered Price on a
record.
Know what the other one was?
Nope. Enlighten me, great master.
--
--md

Remove xx to respond
Roger Ford
2003-11-02 19:40:45 UTC
Post by Mark Dintenfass
Post by Roger Ford
2) A record listed here is an answer record to a famous hit by another
artist who is also listed here (tho NOT with the record concerned).
What is the answer record and which artist had the original record it
answers?
Titus Turner's, "We Told You Not To Marry" is an answer record to Lloyd
Price's "I'm Gonna Get Married."
There, I finally got one!
Ahhhh but that was not the only time Turner answered Price on a
record.
Know what the other one was?
Nope. Enlighten me, great master.
"The Return Of Stagger Lee" in 1959.

Take a tip...if you have'nt heard it let it stay that way :)

ROGER FORD
-----------------------
an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Mark Dintenfass
2003-11-02 19:48:12 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Post by Mark Dintenfass
Post by Roger Ford
Ahhhh but that was not the only time Turner answered Price on a
record.
Know what the other one was?
Nope. Enlighten me, great master.
"The Return Of Stagger Lee" in 1959.
Take a tip...if you have'nt heard it let it stay that way :)
I will. Thanks--for the speedy response, too. Less than three minutes
passed between my hitting "Post" and your reply. Amazing!
--
--md

Remove xx to respond
Norm Katuna
2003-11-02 21:52:29 UTC
Post by Mark Dintenfass
Post by Roger Ford
2) A record listed here is an answer record to a famous hit by another
artist who is also listed here (tho NOT with the record concerned).
What is the answer record and which artist had the original record it
answers?
Titus Turner's, "We Told You Not To Marry" is an answer record to Lloyd
Price's "I'm Gonna Get Married."
There, I finally got one!
Ahhhh but that was not the only time Turner answered Price on a
record.
Know what the other one was?
Nope. Enlighten me, great master.
"The Return Of Stagger Lee" in 1959.
You're sure about that--absolutely sure? As far as I know, he never did a song
with "that" title.

Now, Don Revels on UA did one with that particular title.

Norm K
Bobby
2003-11-02 04:01:49 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
1) THREE (yes count them!) listed acts either also appear under a
different name in this weeks list--or they're otherwise heavily
related to the other act listed
Who are they and what are the other names involved?
Jerry Lee Lewis - The Hawk
The Robins - The Coasters
The Four Pennies - The Chiffons
Roger Ford
2003-11-02 18:47:31 UTC
Post by Bobby
Post by Roger Ford
1) THREE (yes count them!) listed acts either also appear under a
different name in this weeks list--or they're otherwise heavily
related to the other act listed
Who are they and what are the other names involved?
Jerry Lee Lewis - The Hawk
The Robins - The Coasters
The Four Pennies - The Chiffons
Right on!
ROGER FORD
-----------------------
an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Dean F.
2003-11-02 04:05:42 UTC
Want me to post an MP3 of it?
Roger Ford
2003-11-02 08:45:02 UTC
Post by Dean F.
Post by Roger Ford
The Click-Etts - But Not For Me (Dice 100)**
** these I have'nt heard as far as I know
Want me to post an MP3 of it?
Please!

ROGER FORD
-----------------------
an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Norm Katuna
2003-11-02 05:58:16 UTC
On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 03:42:39 GMT, in rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s, Roger Ford
Post by Roger Ford
Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
not quite so memorable records (and as we get nearer to the end of the
year the odd Christmas record or two starts creeping in!) listed and
reviewed as NEW RELEASES by "Billboard" this week in.....
1953 (Oct 31)
Jim Reeves - Bimbo (Abbott 148)
I guess this probably came out on red wax.
Post by Roger Ford
The Flamingos - Carried Away (Chance 1145) (sic!)
I REALLY think you'll have to agree with me about this being one of the worst
wrong side reviews ever in Billboard. What the hell were they thinking when
they made this the A-side for the review? Wonder if they got this on red wax to
review?
Post by Roger Ford
The Robins - Ten Days In Jail (RCA 5489)
This is probably the most common of all the Robins RCA stuff. I've never had it
in great shape, and my current copy is only vg, but I must have had at least 5
lesser copies of this over the years.
Post by Roger Ford
Cliff "King" Solomon - Lil Daddee (Okeh 7010)**
Not listed in Tefteller, so......
Post by Roger Ford
Clarence Green - Bad Shape Blues (Monarch 701)**
There's a bunch of Clarence Green listings in Tefteller from the late 50s and
early 60s, nothing this early.
Post by Roger Ford
Fats Gaines - Home Work Blues (Big Town 108)**
Nothing in Tefteller.
Post by Roger Ford
1954 (Oct 30)
The Ames Brothers - The Naughty Lady Of Shady Lane (RCA 5897)
Archie Bleyers was better. And to think people thought that this was risque?
Post by Roger Ford
Smiley Lewis - Too Many Drivers (Imperial 5316)
One release earlier than my earliest by him. Is that how you think about people
in front of you while you're at work?
Post by Roger Ford
Joe Houston - All Night Long (Money 203)
Got a so, so copy of this. Could this have been the Dolphin's biggest seller?
Post by Roger Ford
Claud Cloud - Beginners Mambo (MGM 11847)**
Probably a terrible instro.
Post by Roger Ford
Curtis Irvin - Cheatin' On Me (RPM 417)**
$400 in Tefteller. "Make a little love" is shown as the a side. Didn't
somebody else do a song with that title?
Post by Roger Ford
The Ramblers - Please Bring Yourself Back Home (MGM 11850)**
$400 in Tefteller. Another wrong side for this week. The flip is the side
always listed when up for sale.
Post by Roger Ford
1955 (Oct 29)
Frankie Laine - A Woman in Love (Columbia 40583)
Uh, why is this here?
Post by Roger Ford
Little Richard - Tutti Frutti (Specialty 561)
Great record.
Post by Roger Ford
Andre Williams - Going Down To Tia Juana (Fortune 824)
The Diablos - The Way You Dog Me Around (Fortune 518)
Have nice copies of both of the above. Both came from that WCOS deal from years
ago. Did you notice something? Two different number series for R&B records in
the same week. Any idea why two different series here?
Post by Roger Ford
Shirley & Lee - Lee's Dream (Aladdin 3302)
Part of the on-going story??
Post by Roger Ford
Joe Miller - I Found The One I Love (Herald 464)**
Nothing on it in Tefteller. Could it have been on the pop side?
Post by Roger Ford
1956 (Nov 3)
Bing Crosby - Around the World (Decca 30120)
All I can say is "Wonderful", oh yuck.
Post by Roger Ford
Little Brenda Lee - I'm Gonna Lasso Santa Claus (Decca 30107)
Don't seem to have it.
Post by Roger Ford
Screamin' Jay Hawkins - I Put A Spell On You (Okeh 7072)
Oh, his classic.
Post by Roger Ford
The Dukes - Wini Brown (Imperial 5415)
Only one I know by them is "Teardrop Eyes"
Post by Roger Ford
Al (Minnie) Boyd - Thanks For The Blues (Middle Tone 012)**
Know nothing on this. Minnie for a guy's nickname???
Post by Roger Ford
Billy Ford & Nightriders - Confessing (United 167)**
$40 in Tefteller.
Post by Roger Ford
The Drifters - Yodee Yakee (Atlantic 1161)
Not such a great record.
Post by Roger Ford
Dee Clark - 24 Boyfriends (Falcon 1005)
Nor is this that great.
Post by Roger Ford
The Sprouts - Teen Billy Baby (RCA 7080)
Spangle right?
Post by Roger Ford
The Five Chums - High School Affair (Excello 2123)**
$40 in Tefteller. Sounds like it would be pop to me.
Post by Roger Ford
Rollee McGill - People Are Talking Pts 1 & 2 (Kaiser 592)**
Know nothing about this either.
Post by Roger Ford
1958 (Nov 3)
Jimmie Rodgers - Bimbombey (Roulette 4116)
Best record on the list. They just don't get any better than this, except for
maybe some Gadabouts, Crew Cuts and Pat Boone records.
Post by Roger Ford
Wade Flemons - Here I Stand (Vee Jay 295)
Just loved this.
Post by Roger Ford
The Pharaohs - Pray For Me (Ranson 100)**
Never heard this. It's not listed as The Pharaohs, but as Four Pharaohs. Are
you sure that's how Billboard showed it?
Post by Roger Ford
The Versatiles - Crying (Atlantic 2004)**
No biggie. A real Cheapie in Tefteller.
Post by Roger Ford
The Click-Etts - But Not For Me (Dice 100)**
Don't know it, but it is the most expensive of all their listings. And you did
]know it was a girl group, right?
Post by Roger Ford
1959 (Nov 2)
Marty Robbins - El Paso (Columbia 41511)
Played to death on KFWB.
Post by Roger Ford
Santo & Johnny - Teardrop (Canadian-American 107)
Oh yuck.
Post by Roger Ford
King Curtis - Heavely Blues (Atco 6152)
Never heard it.
Post by Roger Ford
Chan Romero - My Little Ruby (Del-Fi 4126)
Got a vg- copy of this.
Post by Roger Ford
Titus Turner - We Told You Not To Marry (Glover 201)
He sure got around.
Post by Roger Ford
Brad Suggs - I Walk The Line (Phillips International 3549)
Same as the Johnny Cash. Can't imagine this being the same guy as on Meteor.
Post by Roger Ford
1960 (Oct 31)
Connie Francis - Many Tears Ago (MGM 12964)
Not bad, but not her best.
Post by Roger Ford
Bobby Darin - Christmas Auld Lang Syne (Atco 6183)
Never was able to get this one.
Post by Roger Ford
Ferrante & Teicher - Exodus (United Artists 274)
The theme from the movie?
Post by Roger Ford
Lloyd Price - (You Better) Know What You're Doin' (ABC 10162)
Don't know it and don't want to.
Post by Roger Ford
Carl Perkins - Honey 'Cause I Love You (Columbia 41825)
Same with this one.
Post by Roger Ford
The Hawk - In the Mood (Phillips International 3559)
Piano instrumental by some unknown piano player. A real no-hit wonder.
Post by Roger Ford
1961 (Oct 30)
The Coasters - (Ain't That) Just Like Me (Atco 6210)
Not one of there better ones.
Post by Roger Ford
Chris Kenner - Something You Got (Instant 3237)
Not bad.
Post by Roger Ford
Vic Dana - Little Altar Boy (Dolton 48)
I goofed. This is the best record on the list. I would say this far exceeds
anything else on this list, including the side not listed on Chance. That side
pales in comparison with this item of such greatness.
Post by Roger Ford
The Crystals - There's No Other (Like By Baby) (Philles 100)
Liked it but not as much as a few later ones.
Post by Roger Ford
Timi Yuro - Smile (Liberty 55375)
Why is this here?
Post by Roger Ford
The Jive Five - Never Never (Beltone 1014)
I guess this was sort of okay.
Post by Roger Ford
1962 (Nov 3)
Nat "King" Cole - Dear Lonely Hearts (Capitol 4870)
I guess this is where the Beatles got their inspiration for one of their albums
from.
Post by Roger Ford
The Exciters - Tell Him (United Artists 544)
NIce record.
Post by Roger Ford
The Excellents - Coney Island Baby (Blast 205)
Kind of late for this kind of sound, but it did make it, sort of.
Post by Roger Ford
The Dovells - The Jitterbug (Parkway 855)
One of their flops.
Post by Roger Ford
Johnny & Hurricanes - Sheik Of Araby (Big Top 3125)
Wonderful. I even have a near mint copy of this.
Post by Roger Ford
Carole King - School Bells Are Ringing (Dimension 1004)
Used to have this, but didn't think it was that great.
Post by Roger Ford
1963 (Nov 2)
Jerry Lee Lewis - Hit The Road Jack (Smash 1857)
Better than the Ray Charles version.
Post by Roger Ford
The Raindrops - That Boy John (Jubilee 5466)
Should have used the flip side for one of your teasers.
Post by Roger Ford
Bob & Earl - Harlem Shuffle (Marc 104)
Decent hit in L.A.
Post by Roger Ford
The Chiffons - I Have A Boyfriend (Laurie 3212)
Got a near mint copy of this.
Post by Roger Ford
Hank Jacobs - So Far Away (Sue 795)
This was played on KFWB, but it looks like it only made it to #91 nationally.
Post by Roger Ford
The Four Pennies - When The Boy's Happy (Rust 5070)
Actually have this.
Post by Roger Ford
This weeks teaser in two parts.....
1) THREE (yes count them!) listed acts either also appear under a
different name in this weeks list--or they're otherwise heavily
related to the other act listed
Who are they and what are the other names involved?
Okay. I saw 3 responses to this, but did not open them up, knowing that they
might be teaser answers. I'm doing this without having seen any of the earlier
comments to this thread.

So, with that, here are my answers. For Sure We have The Chiffons/Four Pennies
and J.L.L./The Hawk, and I guess the heavily related part goes to the
Robins/Coasters
Post by Roger Ford
2) A record listed here is an answer record to a famous hit by another
artist who is also listed here (tho NOT with the record concerned).
What is the answer record and which artist had the original record it
answers?
Got to be the Titus Turner record answering the Lloyd Price record that he did.

And right after I send this, I'll look at those other comments to this thread.

And now back to Roger "too old to get married" Ford.

Norm K
Roger Ford
2003-11-02 18:42:25 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
not quite so memorable records (and as we get nearer to the end of the
year the odd Christmas record or two starts creeping in!) listed and
reviewed as NEW RELEASES by "Billboard" this week in.....
1953 (Oct 31)
Jim Reeves - Bimbo (Abbott 148)
I guess this probably came out on red wax.
Whatever it came out on,the BBC here played this a LOT as I
recall....tho here in England Miss Ruby Wright had the monster hit
with the song,a top 10 entry
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Flamingos - Carried Away (Chance 1145) (sic!)
I REALLY think you'll have to agree with me about this being one of the worst
wrong side reviews ever in Billboard. What the hell were they thinking when
they made this the A-side for the review? Wonder if they got this on red wax to
review?
I don't agree at all----if I'd been BB's record reviewer this week and
a red wax 45RPM promo of Chance 1145 landed on my desk I'd have gone
for the up tempo "Carried Away" side too----this one really ROCKS!!
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Cliff "King" Solomon - Lil Daddee (Okeh 7010)**
Not listed in Tefteller, so......
I'd guess its very jazzy by the fact that the label credits "vocal by
Ernestine Anderson"
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Fats Gaines - Home Work Blues (Big Town 108)**
Nothing in Tefteller.
This one has a vocal credit on the label too---given to one "Rose
Johnson"
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1954 (Oct 30)
The Ames Brothers - The Naughty Lady Of Shady Lane (RCA 5897)
Archie Bleyers was better. And to think people thought that this was risque?
We got a Dean Martin 45RPM release here too on this song---which never
came out that way in USA.But as in the USA,the Ames swept all aside
and scored with the big hit here too
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Smiley Lewis - Too Many Drivers (Imperial 5316)
One release earlier than my earliest by him. Is that how you think about people
in front of you while you're at work?
Not all of them....just the ones who happen to be mailmen :)
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Claud Cloud - Beginners Mambo (MGM 11847)**
Probably a terrible instro.
I quite like his "Cloudburst" instrumental that Alan Freed used
regularly on his Radio Luxembourg show
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1955 (Oct 29)
Frankie Laine - A Woman in Love (Columbia 40583)
Uh, why is this here?
From "Guys And Dolls" and a #1 hit for Leather Lungs here in UK
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Little Richard - Tutti Frutti (Specialty 561)
Great record.
Terrible original version.....needed livening up by Pat Boone to
really breathe some life into the song,give it some much needed
RHYTHM.... and really make it R-O-C-K!!!
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Andre Williams - Going Down To Tia Juana (Fortune 824)
The Diablos - The Way You Dog Me Around (Fortune 518)
Have nice copies of both of the above. Both came from that WCOS deal from years
ago. Did you notice something? Two different number series for R&B records in
the same week. Any idea why two different series here?
There seem to have been 3 Fortune numbering sequences---the "100"
series are definitely C&W with Roy Hall & Skeets McDonald showing up
on there.

The "500" series was originally intended to be "pop" and jazz I think
--certainly the records issued on the series all fit that
bill.Leastways up until #509 they do---when Jack & Devora Brown
assigned that number to their new R&B find The Diablos---and their
first record "Adios My Desert Love" in 1954.

The "800" series were all blues,R&B and gospel from the word go with
Andre Williams,The Five Dollars and Joe Weaver featuring on there.
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1956 (Nov 3)
Bing Crosby - Around the World (Decca 30120)
All I can say is "Wonderful", oh yuck.
In his autobiography (which is infinitely more interesting than any of
his recordings) Eddie Fisher claims he recorded the original version
of this song---which I guess is pretty plausible given his close
connections with the producer of the movie whence the song
comes---Mike Todd

And his forthcoming much MUCH closer connections with Todd's soon to
be widow :)
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Little Brenda Lee - I'm Gonna Lasso Santa Claus (Decca 30107)
Don't seem to have it.
I once boobed badly by passing up several hundred copies of this in
the LaMonte warehouse in Darby,Pa circa 1971. At the time LaMonte was
recognized as one of the heaviest bootleggers in the USA (putting both
Rascio and Pecoraro in the shade! No mean feat! :) but I don't think
these were boots----all of them had pic sleeves.
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Screamin' Jay Hawkins - I Put A Spell On You (Okeh 7072)
Oh, his classic.
The flip is great too "Little Demon"
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Billy Ford & Nightriders - Confessing (United 167)**
$40 in Tefteller.
Definitely not the same Billy Ford as the late father of a member of
this newsgroup whom modesty forbids naming :)

But very probably the same Billy Ford who partnered Lillie Bryant a
couple of years later on "La Dee Dah"
Post by Norm Katuna
1957 (Nov 4)
Post by Roger Ford
The Drifters - Yodee Yakee (Atlantic 1161)
Not such a great record.
I agree--not one of their more memorable moments :-(
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Dee Clark - 24 Boyfriends (Falcon 1005)
Nor is this that great.
Now I disagree---it's one of the better Little Richard ripoffs
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Sprouts - Teen Billy Baby (RCA 7080)
Spangle right?
Yes originally on Spangle 2002 before RCA leased it

If I can find it I still have the Spangle label copy for Johnny
Restivo's "The Shape I'm In" somewhere----what happened was,we got a
lot of calls over here for this record but Rascio was loath to help us
out with an RCA record (he avoided Columbia too & the other
majors)----so we came up with the idea of inventing an "original"
label for the Restivo (similar to what was done with Ronnie Self's
"Bop-A-Lena" which Rascio put on our "original" Gustin label (named
after Val Shively's assistant at the time,Bonnie Gustin)

We decided to use Spangle (a label that RCA had actually leased from
before) for the simple reason that we could'nt get hold of a record
carrying the "Stars" label that we originally intended to use.

As it turned out for other reasons the planned Restivo/Spangle was
aborted and never materialised.
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Five Chums - High School Affair (Excello 2123)**
$40 in Tefteller. Sounds like it would be pop to me.
A more respectable $75 in Kreiter
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Rollee McGill - People Are Talking Pts 1 & 2 (Kaiser 592)**
Know nothing about this either.
Good artist tho who had a couple of very decent releases on Mercury
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1958 (Nov 3)
Wade Flemons - Here I Stand (Vee Jay 295)
Just loved this.
The original of the song that the Rip Chords did in 1963
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Pharaohs - Pray For Me (Ranson 100)**
Never heard this. It's not listed as The Pharaohs, but as Four Pharaohs. Are
you sure that's how Billboard showed it?
BB shows it the way I have it here.And the label name the same way
(RanSON not Ransom) But Kreiter shows them as "The Four Pharaohs".

Was'nt Bobby Taylor who (with the Vancouvers) much later did "Does
Your Mama Know About Me?" in this group?
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Click-Etts - But Not For Me (Dice 100)**
Don't know it, but it is the most expensive of all their listings. And you did
]know it was a girl group, right?
The "-etts" on the end of the group name kinda hints that way,yes :-)
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1959 (Nov 2)
Marty Robbins - El Paso (Columbia 41511)
Played to death on KFWB.
Too good to ever be played to death!
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Santo & Johnny - Teardrop (Canadian-American 107)
Oh yuck.
You're kidding??? I like this almost as much as "Sleep Walk" (its VERY
similar!)
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Chan Romero - My Little Ruby (Del-Fi 4126)
Got a vg- copy of this.
Not up to the standard of his "The Hippy Hippy Shake"
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Titus Turner - We Told You Not To Marry (Glover 201)
He sure got around.
My notes here say Glover---or at least this particular record on
Glover---was distributed by Hy Weiss' Old Town outfit
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Brad Suggs - I Walk The Line (Phillips International 3549)
Same as the Johnny Cash. Can't imagine this being the same guy as on Meteor.
It IS the same guy!
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1960 (Oct 31)
Connie Francis - Many Tears Ago (MGM 12964)
Not bad, but not her best.
I'm not a great Connie fan but I think this and the UK-only "Robot
Man" were her best two singles
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Bobby Darin - Christmas Auld Lang Syne (Atco 6183)
Never was able to get this one.
I should have put ** up.Don't think I ever heard it
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Ferrante & Teicher - Exodus (United Artists 274)
The theme from the movie?
Yes and one of my all time favorite movie themes
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Lloyd Price - (You Better) Know What You're Doin' (ABC 10162)
Don't know it and don't want to.
You never know...someday this might work as a link in some teaser
answer :)
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Carl Perkins - Honey 'Cause I Love You (Columbia 41825)
Same with this one.
Nowhere near "Jive After Five" or "Pink Pedal Pushers" but certainly a
cut abopve many of his other lacklustre Columbia releases
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Hawk - In the Mood (Phillips International 3559)
Piano instrumental by some unknown piano player. A real no-hit wonder.
Liberace on speed?
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1961 (Oct 30)
The Coasters - (Ain't That) Just Like Me (Atco 6210)
Not one of there better ones.
On the contrary,this is one of my favorite later Coasters songs and I
am forever at a loss to understand why this was never any kind of
American hit
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Vic Dana - Little Altar Boy (Dolton 48)
I goofed. This is the best record on the list. I would say this far exceeds
anything else on this list, including the side not listed on Chance. That side
pales in comparison with this item of such greatness.
Even by Vic Dana standards this has to be the lowest of the low.To
make matters worse this dreadful dirge has been preserved for
posterity by its inclusdion in the movie "Don't Knock The Twist".

You have been warned!
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Timi Yuro - Smile (Liberty 55375)
Why is this here?
Tho Nat Cole has the supreme version of this song I'm very partial to
the Yuro treatment---my second favorite version
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1962 (Nov 3)
Nat "King" Cole - Dear Lonely Hearts (Capitol 4870)
I guess this is where the Beatles got their inspiration for one of their albums
from.
Talking of Cole here is one of my later favorites by him---tho the
very best of his later singles IMO remains "That Sunday,That Summer"
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Johnny & Hurricanes - Sheik Of Araby (Big Top 3125)
Wonderful. I even have a near mint copy of this.
Good flip on this "Minnesota Fats" inspired by the Jackie Gleason pool
champion character in "The Hustler"
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1963 (Nov 2)
Jerry Lee Lewis - Hit The Road Jack (Smash 1857)
Better than the Ray Charles version.
Now who's kidding??
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Raindrops - That Boy John (Jubilee 5466)
Should have used the flip side for one of your teasers.
The original version of some song Tommy James & The Shondells did
later--hmmmm was it "Crimson And Clover"? Or maybe "Crystal Blue
Persuasion"? Oh which one was it? :)

Of course for such a teaser I could have asked for the name of the
label the TJ record first appeared on :)
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Bob & Earl - Harlem Shuffle (Marc 104)
Decent hit in L.A.
Huge record on the British R&B scene and a key record in the boom in
the music here
Post by Roger Ford
The Four Pennies - When The Boy's Happy (Rust 5070)
Actually have this.
Don't these two look good bracketed together? :)
Post by Roger Ford
2) A record listed here is an answer record to a famous hit by another
artist who is also listed here (tho NOT with the record concerned).
What is the answer record and which artist had the original record it
answers?
Got to be the Titus Turner record answering the Lloyd Price record that he did.
Yes as Mark D. correctly said "We Told You Not To Marry" effectively
answers Price on "I'm Gonna Get Married"
Post by Norm Katuna
And right after I send this, I'll look at those other comments to this thread.
And now back to Roger "too old to get married" Ford.#
I think Harry Belafonte got it about right

"I never will marry, never take me a wife
I expect to live single all the rest of my life"

ROGER FORD
-----------------------
an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
John Wade
2003-11-03 01:22:55 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Billy Ford & Nightriders - Confessing (United 167)**
But very probably the same Billy Ford who partnered Lillie Bryant a
couple of years later on "La Dee Dah"
Yes, the same Billy Ford.

There is an anomaly here.

According to the excellent research on
the United and States label, by Pruter,
Campbell and Kelly, Billy Ford recorded
six sides for United on January 6, 1953.

"You Foxie Thing" b/w "Smooth Rocking"
United 142, released c. February, 1953.
The matrix numbers on these two are
1175 and 1176,

"(untitled song)", matrix number 1178
and "Fool Around With You", matrix
number 1180, were both unissued.

"Confessin'" b/w "Old Age", United 167,
released c. January, 1954. The matrix
numbers are 1177 and 1179.

The release number 142 corresponds
to a February, 1953 release, and the
release number 167 corresponds to a
January 1954 release date.

So, why is this being reviewed in late
1956??
John Wade
***@triad.rr.com
Robert J. Boyne
2003-11-04 22:24:11 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
not quite so memorable records (and as we get nearer to the end of the
year the odd Christmas record or two starts creeping in!) listed and
reviewed as NEW RELEASES by "Billboard" this week in.....
1953 (Oct 31)
Spangle right?
Yes originally on Spangle 2002 before RCA leased it
Off topic but I was reminded of the sweets "Spangles".

Are they still available in the UK?
Post by Roger Ford
ROGER FORD
-----------------------

Robert J.
--
Robert J. Boyne.Sutton Group West Coast Realty.North Vancouver/British Columbia.Cell. 604-644-6973.
" I have the good sense to know that unheard songs are often sweeter".
Home page - http://www.realtor-lower-mainland.com
Roger Ford
2003-11-05 05:56:41 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
not quite so memorable records (and as we get nearer to the end of the
year the odd Christmas record or two starts creeping in!) listed and
reviewed as NEW RELEASES by "Billboard" this week in.....
1953 (Oct 31)
Spangle right?
Yes originally on Spangle 2002 before RCA leased it
Off topic but I was reminded of the sweets "Spangles".
Are they still available in the UK?
Not sure but anyway they make you fat

ROGER FORD
an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).