Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - March 2021 - Preliminary Round - Group 6
2021-03-07 11:41:48 UTC
Sun. March 7 2021
Sav...@aol.com
2021-03-07 14:03:08 UTC

The Girl I Love - The Cadillacs

Seventh Son - Willie Mabon

Keep On Churnin' - Wynonie Harris

Paying For That Back Street Affair - Kitty Wells

Don't Cut Out On Me - Tender Slim

Sav...@aol.com
2021-03-07 14:03:43 UTC

1. Seventh Son - Willie Mabon
2. The Girl I Love - The Cadillacs
3. Keep On Churnin' - Wynonie Harris
4. Paying For That Back Street Affair - Kitty Wells
5. Don't Cut Out On Me - Tender Slim
Roger Ford
2021-03-07 14:09:34 UTC
Seventh Son - Willie Mabon - 8
Keep On Churnin' - Wynonie Harris - 8
The Girl I Love - The Cadillacs - 7
Don't Cut Out On Me - Tender Slim - 7
Paying For That Back Street Affair - Kitty Wells - 5

2021-03-07 14:16:01 UTC
The Girl I Love - The Cadillacs
http://youtu.be/1sLudQIg_Rw
My favorite of the Cadillacs 1956 output on Josie. Good but not up to
the high standard of their earlier "Gloria" or "Speedoo"
Post by ***@aol.com
Seventh Son - Willie Mabon
http://youtu.be/yx8Q42szBKQ
Recorded June 1 1955 in Chicago for Chess here's Willie Mabon with one
of his very best! Personnel : Willie Mabon (vcl/pno) Paul King (tp)
Harold Ashby,Herbert Robertson (ts) Bill Anderson (b) Oliver Coleman
(dm). Following Mabon's original recording the Willie Dixon penned
song has had many remake versions in subsequent years---the most
famous (and certainly the most profitable) being the 1965 version by
Johnny Rivers that was a #7 US hit
Post by ***@aol.com
Keep On Churnin' - Wynonie Harris
http://youtu.be/d8swz7WFgrU
From 1952 here's wonderful Wynonie on King churnin' up his best butter
of the year
Post by ***@aol.com
Paying For That Back Street Affair - Kitty Wells
http://youtu.be/h8j3t_hjWAg
I loved Kitty's #1 country hit answer record from the previous year
"It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels" but I'm not so enamoured of
this 1953 followup that answers---yes you guessed it-Webb Pierce's big
country hit "Back Street Affair" (the original of which BTW was by
Billy Wallace later of rockabilly fame with a couple of excellent such
outings on Mercury)
Post by ***@aol.com
Don't Cut Out On Me - Tender Slim
http://youtu.be/5Ak8y0OSwnA
"Tender Slim" aka Joe Richardson with a decent uptempo blues rocker on
Herald from 1962. He had minor chart success earlier with the "Pop
Goes The Weasel"-inspired "Teenage Hayride" instrumental

2021-03-07 14:41:58 UTC
1. Don't Cut Out On Me - Tender Slim

2. Keep On Churnin' - Wynonie Harris

3. Paying For That Back Street Affair - Kitty Wells

4. Seventh Son - Willie Mabon

5. The Girl I Love - The Cadillacs
Steve Mc
2021-03-07 15:30:11 UTC
1. Keep On Churnin' - Wynonie Harris

2. Don't Cut Out On Me - Tender Slim

3. Seventh Son - Willie Mabon

2021-03-07 16:37:13 UTC
1-Wynonie Harris

2- Willie Dixon

3- The Cadillacs

4- Kitty Wells

5- Tender Slim
Dennis C from Tennessee
2021-03-07 16:41:48 UTC
Post by Dennis C from Tennessee
1-Wynonie Harris
2- Willie Dixon
3- The Cadillacs
4- Kitty Wells
5- Tender Slim
Correction on my posting. I meant Willie Mabon.

Had it actually been Dixon's version it would tower over this competition, baby!!
Sav...@aol.com
2021-03-07 16:47:01 UTC
Post by Dennis C from Tennessee
Had it actually been Dixon's version it would tower over this competition, baby!!
Dixon's version is not that good. He was not a singer.

DianeE
2021-03-07 14:44:50 UTC
I'm confused. Is "Seventh Son" by Willie Mabon, or Willie Dixon?

1-Keep On Churnin' - Wynonie Harris
2-Paying For That Back Street Affair - Kitty Wells
3-The Girl I Love - The Cadillacs
4-Seventh Son - Willie Mabon
5-Don't Cut Out On Me - Tender Slim

This is a terrific group and one where I hate to have to put any record
last. "From best to worst" does not apply--"from best to really good?"
Sav...@aol.com
2021-03-07 14:49:00 UTC
I'm confused. Is "Seventh Son" by Willie Mabon, or Willie Dixon?
Written by Dixon, performed here by Mabon. Dixon later did the song on albums, more than once.
Number 5 is still "the worst" of the 5. Nobody ever said that the worst has to be bad.....or that the best has to be good. If you listed your 5 favorite records of all time in order, number 5 would still be the worst of those 5.
md

2021-03-07 15:11:49 UTC
1. Seventh Son - Willie Mabon
2. Paying For That Back Street Affair - Kitty Wells
3. Don't Cut Out On Me - Tender Slim
4. The Girl I Love - The Cadillacs
5. Keep On Churnin' - Wynonie Harris
Rick Schubert
2021-03-07 17:27:52 UTC
1. The Girl I Love - The Cadillacs
2. Don't Cut Out On Me - Tender Slim
3. Seventh Son - Willie Mabon
4. Keep On Churnin' - Wynonie Harris
5. Paying For That Back Street Affair - Kitty Wells

Mine won't be last today. ;-)
Sav...@aol.com
2021-03-07 17:34:15 UTC

1. Keep On Churnin' - Wynonie Harris - 33
2. Seventh Son - Willie Mabon - 31
3. The Girl I Love - The Cadillacs - 27
4. Don't Cut Out On Me - Tender Slim - 24

5. Paying For That Back Street Affair - Kitty Wells - 20

Steve's Butter churner wins the group with Carl's Mabon second. Mark's Caddys take third and Slim Jim is 4th. Diane's Back Street Affair is out.
S Hunter