February nominations
2021-01-20 10:01:18 UTC
Congratulations from this side of the pond to President Biden on his
inauguration to office today (Weds 20th January 2021)

I'm sure he'd agree that these nominations (and those that follow from
others) are all well worthy of inauguration too---into the February
edition of the Obscure 1950s Era Recordings tournament

Here are my February nominations

Wine Woogie - Marvin Phillips - Specialty 445 - 1952

Crazy Times - The Lamplighters - Federal unreleased - 1953

Fire In My Heart - Bobby Hall & Kings - Harlem 2322 - 1954

Mellow Daddy - The Drakes - United unreleased - 1955

Ding Dong - The Packards - Paradise 105 - 1956

2021-01-20 15:10:12 UTC
Crazy Times - The Lamplighters - Federal unreleased - 1953
http://youtu.be/eZ96-uerJgc
Video Unavailable

2021-01-20 15:57:30 UTC
I think these pass muster. Do you see any problems here, Roger?

Yea! Yea! Come Another Day - Tony Casanova

Rock My Soul - Mr. Google Eyes

Have You Gone Crazy - Earl Johnson

Down At Big Mamma's House - Rex Hale

Girlfriend - Five Scalders

Steve Mc
2021-01-20 18:18:42 UTC
Wipe Your Tears - Jimmy Nolen (1956)
Jimmy Nolen - Wipe Your Tears - YouTube

Why Can’t I Come In - Jimmy Reed

Sentimental Fool - Barbara Pittman (1956)

Live My Life - Rose Mitchell (1954)

No, No, No, No - Billy Boy Arnold

2021-01-20 18:29:09 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
Wipe Your Tears - Jimmy Nolen (1956)
Jimmy Nolen - Wipe Your Tears - YouTube
Why Can’t I Come In - Jimmy Reed
http://youtu.be/oSNRLnoKUwg
Sentimental Fool - Barbara Pittman (1956)
http://youtu.be/pgIKrifOqpA
Live My Life  - Rose Mitchell (1954)
http://youtu.be/rhWHigi94rQ
No, No, No, No - Billy Boy Arnold
http://youtu.be/SssKGjIzoPs
Here's the Jimmy Nolen link. For some reason, some of the YouTube links
recently have been coming up showing the name as it shows above.

2021-01-20 18:29:22 UTC

Roger Ford
2021-01-21 13:55:10 UTC
On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 10:18:42 -0800, Steve Mc
Why Can’t I Come In - Jimmy Reed
http://youtu.be/oSNRLnoKUwg
Isn't this "Knocking At Your Door" under another title?

Recorded and released in 1966 on the Exodus label

And retitled when re-released later still

Diane, can you please confirm

Looks like we need a replacement Steve.
Dennis C from Tennessee
2021-01-21 15:03:25 UTC
Looks like we need a replacement Steve.
You can't replace Steve !!!!

He's one of a kind, baby!!!
Steve Mc
2021-01-21 15:17:24 UTC
Post by Dennis C from Tennessee
Post by ***@aol.com
Looks like we need a replacement Steve.
You can't replace Steve !!!!
He's one of a kind, baby!!!
Do I have your permission to forward this on to my wife ?

2021-01-21 15:08:06 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
Why Can’t I Come In - Jimmy Reed
http://youtu.be/oSNRLnoKUwg
Isn't this "Knocking At Your Door" under another title?
Recorded and released in 1966 on the Exodus label
And retitled when re-released later still
Diane, can you please confirm
Looks like we need a replacement Steve.
How about this one ?

I Wanna Know - Jimmy Reed

2021-01-21 15:53:41 UTC
On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 07:08:06 -0800, Steve Mc
Post by Steve Mc
On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 10:18:42 -0800, Steve Mc
Why Can’t I Come In - Jimmy Reed
http://youtu.be/oSNRLnoKUwg
Isn't this "Knocking At Your Door" under another title?
Recorded and released in 1966 on the Exodus label
And retitled when re-released later still
Diane, can you please confirm
Looks like we need a replacement Steve.
How about this one ?
I Wanna Know - Jimmy Reed
http://youtu.be/3zdVlxPVir0
Steve,this is out of time frame too

Recorded 1966 released on Bluesway 1967

2021-01-21 16:02:04 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
Why Can’t I Come In - Jimmy Reed
http://youtu.be/oSNRLnoKUwg
Isn't this "Knocking At Your Door" under another title?
Recorded and released in 1966 on the Exodus label
And retitled when re-released later still
Diane, can you please confirm
Looks like we need a replacement Steve.
How about this one ?
I Wanna Know - Jimmy Reed
http://youtu.be/3zdVlxPVir0
Steve,this is out of time frame too
Recorded 1966 released on Bluesway 1967
Damn. And that's probably the year I saw him. He was so drunk he fell
down on his back, pulled the mike stand down down between his legs, and
sang into it while keeping time with his knees going in and out to the
music. A very, very strange sight to say the least.

OK. One more try.

Jimmy Reed - Mary Mary (1963)

2021-01-20 19:31:28 UTC
I think these pass muster. Do you see any problems here, Roger?
Have You Gone Crazy - Earl Johnson
http://youtu.be/ID5fVykCAfA
This was in the Dynamic Debuts battle (Earl King's first)

2021-01-20 19:35:58 UTC
I think these pass muster. Do you see any problems here, Roger?
Have You Gone Crazy - Earl Johnson
http://youtu.be/ID5fVykCAfA
This was in the Dynamic Debuts battle (Earl King's first)
ROGER FORD
Okay, replacing that with this:

Thing A Ma Jig - Rebecca Williams

Roger Ford
2021-01-20 18:15:27 UTC
On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 07:10:12 -0800, Steve Mc
Post by Steve Mc
Post by Roger Ford
Crazy Times - The Lamplighters - Federal unreleased - 1953
http://youtu.be/eZ96-uerJgc
Video Unavailable

or

2021-01-20 19:55:20 UTC
I believe these are all still eligible.

Girl Of Mine - The Solitaires - Old Town 1010 - 1955

What Can I Do - BB 'Blues Boy' King - RPM 437 - 1955

Gone - Jesse Belvin - Specialty 350 - 1955

Backtracking - Little Junior Parker - Duke 137 - 1955

Honey From The Bee - The Larks - Apollo 475 - 1955

Jim Colegrove
2021-01-21 16:58:28 UTC
Check these:

Down In The Groovy - Lonnie Lyons - Freedom 1949

Sweetest Little Girl - Jimmy "T-99" Nelson - RPM 1952

Jealous Man - Johnny Lewis (Joe Hill Louis) - Rockin 1953

Roll Baby Roll - Floyd Dixon - Cat 1954

So Glad She's Mine - Charles "Hungry" Williams - Checker 1956

Steve Mc
2021-01-21 17:20:13 UTC
Down In The Groovy - Lonnie Lyons - Freedom 1949
http://youtu.be/hnYHbM1I3nA
Sweetest Little Girl - Jimmy "T-99" Nelson - RPM 1952
http://youtu.be/oC5Z1TwqR_4
Jealous Man - Johnny Lewis (Joe Hill Louis) - Rockin 1953
http://youtu.be/vfHbvt-YIfk
Roll Baby Roll - Floyd Dixon - Cat 1954
http://youtu.be/5-C-YJvAyBM
So Glad She's Mine - Charles "Hungry" Williams - Checker 1956
http://youtu.be/vrNNBSXJmWQ
Nice nominations Jim.

2021-01-21 17:50:48 UTC
On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 10:58:28 -0600, Jim Colegrove
Post by Jim Colegrove
Roll Baby Roll - Floyd Dixon - Cat 1954
http://youtu.be/5-C-YJvAyBM
This was in an earlier edition of this contest

2021-01-21 18:02:24 UTC
Post by Jim Colegrove
Roll Baby Roll - Floyd Dixon - Cat 1954
http://youtu.be/5-C-YJvAyBM
This was in an earlier edition of this contest
I knew that so - duh to me.

I can't find Daddy Cleanhead anywhere so Let's try:

Something's Goin' On In My Room -Daddy Cleanhead - Specialty 1955

Sav...@aol.com
2021-01-21 18:34:21 UTC
http://youtu.be/tfcwE44Uqko
It was in the 55 battle.
Jim Colegrove
2021-01-21 19:56:28 UTC
Post by Jim Colegrove
Roll Baby Roll - Floyd Dixon - Cat 1954
http://youtu.be/5-C-YJvAyBM
This was in an earlier edition of this contest
I knew that so - duh to me.
Something's Goin' On In My Room -Daddy Cleanhead - Specialty 1955
http://youtu.be/tfcwE44Uqko
It was in the 55 battle.
OK, it wasn't listed in the old list that I have of them.

How about:

She's Gone - Schoolboy Cleve - Feature 1954

Roger Ford
2021-01-21 20:06:19 UTC
On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 13:56:28 -0600, Jim Colegrove
Post by Jim Colegrove
Roll Baby Roll - Floyd Dixon - Cat 1954
http://youtu.be/5-C-YJvAyBM
This was in an earlier edition of this contest
I knew that so - duh to me.
Something's Goin' On In My Room -Daddy Cleanhead - Specialty 1955
http://youtu.be/tfcwE44Uqko
It was in the 55 battle.
OK, it wasn't listed in the old list that I have of them.
She's Gone - Schoolboy Cleve - Feature 1954
http://youtu.be/bvL6rSIaIqo
No,its not wrong as you may have thought before opening the
message :)

Just to say that I will be both pleased and annoyed should this win
the February tournament.

Pleased because its a terrific record that Í've long liked.

And annoyed because I've had it on a tournament "possibles" list for
geological aeons now---and never used it

2021-01-21 20:34:15 UTC
Post by Jim Colegrove
Roll Baby Roll - Floyd Dixon - Cat 1954
http://youtu.be/5-C-YJvAyBM
This was in an earlier edition of this contest
I knew that so - duh to me.
Something's Goin' On In My Room -Daddy Cleanhead - Specialty 1955
http://youtu.be/tfcwE44Uqko
It was in the 55 battle.
OK, it wasn't listed in the old list that I have of them.
She's Gone - Schoolboy Cleve - Feature 1954
http://youtu.be/bvL6rSIaIqo
No,its not wrong as you may have thought before opening the
message :)
Just to say that I will be both pleased and annoyed should this win
the February tournament.
If it does we'll split the pot. :)
2021-01-21 23:11:05 UTC
We are gonna have just 30 nominations this month and Diane does not want to find 2 songs again, so what we'll do is get one extra nomination from Rick for winning in January and one extra nomination from Steve for winning the year end tournament in December. That will get us to 32 for February and we'll revisit the problem in March if we have to.
Steve Mc
2021-01-22 00:09:59 UTC
We are gonna have just 30 nominations this month and Diane does not want to find 2 songs again, so what we'll do is get one extra nomination from Rick for winning in January and one extra nomination from Steve for winning the year end tournament in December. That will get us to 32 for February and we'll revisit the problem in March if we have to.
Well, being that it took me 3 tries to get a Jimmy Reed in, how about this.

Peepin' and Hidin' - Count Victors (1962)

2021-01-22 14:54:15 UTC
We are gonna have just 30 nominations this month and Diane does not want to=
find 2 songs again, so what we'll do is get one extra nomination from Rick=
for winning in January and one extra nomination from Steve for winning the=
year end tournament in December. That will get us to 32 for February and w=
e'll revisit the problem in March if we have to.
Is Diane still gonmna vote?

2021-01-22 15:28:22 UTC
We are gonna have just 30 nominations this month and Diane does not want to=
find 2 songs again, so what we'll do is get one extra nomination from Rick=
for winning in January and one extra nomination from Steve for winning the=
year end tournament in December. That will get us to 32 for February and w=
e'll revisit the problem in March if we have to.
Is Diane still gonna vote?
yes
Roger Ford
2021-01-24 12:21:41 UTC
We are gonna have just 30 nominations this month and Diane does not want to=
find 2 songs again, so what we'll do is get one extra nomination from Rick=
for winning in January and one extra nomination from Steve for winning the=
year end tournament in December. That will get us to 32 for February and w=
e'll revisit the problem in March if we have to.
Is Diane still gonna vote?
yes
Cool.

And I will find time to note as she asked

2021-01-24 05:58:41 UTC
one extra nomination from Rick for winning in January and one extra
nomination from Steve for winning the year end tournament in
December.
Rock, Pretty Baby - Capris - Lifetime 610 - 1958

Why Do You Treat Me This Way - Belvederes - Poplar 114 - 1962

My Flaming Heart - Danleers - Mercury 71356 - 1958

Walkin' Down Broadway - Penguins - Mercury 70654 - 1955

My Baby's Tops - Gardenias - Federal 12284 - 1957

Thrill Me So - Cadillacs - Mercury 71738 - 1960

RWC
2021-01-22 14:11:10 UTC
Post by Jim Colegrove
She's Gone - Schoolboy Cleve - Feature 1954
http://youtu.be/bvL6rSIaIqo
And annoyed because I've had it on a tournament "possibles" list for
geological aeons now---and never used it
Might I suggest that you bruce your "possibles" list (actually rank them as
potential tournament finalists, to potentially enhance your Obscure contest
performance stats, Roger. {Of course, you will spread the top ranking items
over the months ahead} :-)

I-know, if you showed me your "possibles" list, you'd have to kill me :-)
RWC
2021-01-22 15:13:49 UTC
OK, it wasn't listed in the old list that I have of them.
Jim, to update this old list, I might suggest a recent Battle+Obscure list
posted on Nov 2 (it's only missing the 32 Obscure songs from January).

You are using the latest version of Agent (every competing app
has its pros and cons and Agent is still great! [for its layout, etc])

(By default, and annoyingly, Agent deletes the bodies of messages that
are 30+ days old. This can be stopped by right-clicking on group name,
clicking on Default Properties at bottom, and going to What to Purge...
- that's how, in Agent, I've permanently {fingers crossed} got all message
bodies going back to 2003 {that were, recently, still on the server})

The recent Battle+Oscure list of artist-songs is still available at:
https://app.box.com/s/hggv9mvoqyzcabo025z953x7u3nfklhg
Jim Colegrove