Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - June - Cusp Edition (1960-1963) - Preliminary Round - Group 2
2019-06-02 14:47:42 UTC

Something Is Worrying Me - Otis Redding

I Feel So Good - J B Lenoir

Faded Love - Patsy Cline

My Song - Little Milton

SavoyBG
2019-06-02 14:55:04 UTC

1. My Song - Little Milton - 8
2. I Feel So Good - J B Lenoir - 6
3. Something Is Worrying Me - Otis Redding - 5
4. Faded Love - Patsy Cline - 4
Steve Mc
2019-06-02 15:21:13 UTC
1. I Feel So Good - J B Lenoir

2. Something Is Worrying Me - Otis Redding

3. Faded Love - Patsy Cline

4. My Song - Little Milton

2019-06-02 15:23:53 UTC
1. Faded Love - Patsy Cline
2. Something Is Worrying Me - Otis Redding
3. My Song - Little Milton
4. I Feel So Good - J B Lenoir
DianeE
2019-06-02 19:27:59 UTC
Post by OleManRiver
1. Faded Love - Patsy Cline
2. Something Is Worrying Me - Otis Redding
3. My Song - Little Milton
4. I Feel So Good - J B Lenoir
---------
Last round, you and I voted the same way. This round, it's a complete
reversal. Your 1-2-3-4 is my 4-3-2-1.
Roger Ford
2019-06-02 15:36:06 UTC
Ratings differ but you got the ranking order dead right! :)

My Song - Little Milton - 8
I Feel So Good - J B Lenoir - 8
Something Is Worrying Me - Otis Redding - 6
Faded Love - Patsy Cline - 6

2019-06-02 15:52:38 UTC
Ratings differ but you got the ranking order dead right! :)
My Song - Little Milton - 8
I wasn't familiar with this one before but its an unreleased cut
recorded for Checker in 1961. Beautiful! (Do we know who the backing
group is?)
Post by Roger Ford
I Feel So Good - J B Lenoir - 8
Recorded in Chicago in July 1963 this was the flipside to Lenoir's
last single released in his lifetime "I Sing Um The Way I Feel" (that
made the 1963 Battle) on USA label. Lafayette Leake on piano.
It was 1965 before we got this record in the UK---released on the Sue
label here.
Post by Roger Ford
Something Is Worrying Me - Otis Redding - 6
Another flipside here from the man starting to make a lot of noise for
Volt Records----Mr Otis Redding. It backed his memorable "Pain In My
Heart" hit,again in 1963
Post by Roger Ford
Faded Love - Patsy Cline - 6
Something has to rate bottom but this is actually one of Patsy's
better records---her revival of Bob Wills' classic song

It's the Rockers. And thanks to you for putting it on youtube for the contest.
SavoyBG
2019-06-03 00:43:22 UTC

1-I Feel So Good - J B Lenoir - 32
2-Something Is Worrying Me - Otis Redding -32
3-My Song - Little Milton -31

4-Faded Love - Patsy Cline - 25

Cline is out. Lenoir noses out Redding on the tie breaker. They were each ranked higher on 6 ballots and each had 3 first place rankings. Lenoir had 4 second place rankings to just 3 for Redding.
Bob Roman
2019-06-02 16:04:46 UTC
1. Patsy Cline
2. J.B. Lenoir
3. Otis Redding
4. Little Milton

2019-06-02 16:59:27 UTC
1- "My Song"- Baritonal bourbon buzz is Little Milton's voice!! Mellow-ass sax solo seals this!!

2- "Something is Worrying Me"- A portent of greater things to come and by a mere pubic follicle does this fall to secong place here,baby!!

3- "I Feel Good"- Probably because his name is dpelled right!

4- "Faded Love" Formulaic Patsy Cline: Orchestral wash....Choral rinse...repeat!
Jim Colegrove
2019-06-02 17:26:31 UTC
1. Something Is Worrying Me - Otis Redding

2. I Feel So Good - J B Lenoir

3. My Song - Little Milton

4. Faded Love - Patsy Cline
Bill B
2019-06-02 17:29:52 UTC
1 Faded Love - Patsy Cline
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/GCCKFmdNvRg
2 My Song - Little Milton
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/gZl8lg1Vn-M
3 Something Is Worrying Me - Otis Redding
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/g2ughAT80R8
4 I Feel So Good - J B Lenoir
http://youtu.be/vconhb0yQzg
Rick Schubert
2019-06-02 18:06:50 UTC
1. I Feel So Good - J B Lenoir
2. My Song - Little Milton
3. Faded Love - Patsy Cline
4. Something Is Worrying Me - Otis Redding

All good songs but none to get excited about. Much weaker than first group. Not much separation
between #1 and #4.
Mark Dintenfass
2019-06-02 18:30:13 UTC
Something Is Worrying Me - Otis Redding
My Song - Little Milton
I Feel So Good - J B Lenoir
Faded Love - Patsy Cline

Interesting grouping. The cusp era was a time when the all them genres
were crisscrossing and dissolving into each other, and no one really
knew what would come next. All four of these are good, but I wish
Little Milton had left the doowop-ing out and remembered the stark
simplicity of the great, great original. This secondary Otis Redding
still sounds like it belongs to another and more interesting universe.
2019-06-02 19:24:23 UTC
The Patsy Cline record would have done very well in the Pop contest, I
think. Here, unfortunately, it's up against my favorite Lenoir record,
an excellent remake by Little Milton & The Rockers (though not quite as
excellent as the one by Aretha Franklin a few years later), and a
mediocre Otis Redding record, which nevertheless feels more like it
belongs in this tournament.

1-I Feel So Good - J B Lenoir
2-My Song - Little Milton
3-Something Is Worrying Me - Otis Redding
4-Faded Love - Patsy Cline
Carl
2019-06-02 19:23:23 UTC
Otis Redding - Something Is Worrying Me