Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - July - Prelims - Group 4
2019-07-05 15:13:18 UTC

Try Me One More Time - Nolan Strong & The Diablos

Caddy Bo - Magnificents

Pistol Packin' Mama - Hurricanes

The Blues Don't Mean A Thing - Jive Bombers

SavoyBG
2019-07-05 15:20:19 UTC

Try Me One More Time - Nolan Strong & The Diablos - 7
The Blues Don't Mean A Thing - Jive Bombers - 7
Pistol Packin' Mama - Hurricanes - 6
Caddy Bo - Magnificents - 5
Steve Mc
2019-07-05 16:24:59 UTC
1. Pistol Packin' Mama - Hurricanes

2. Try Me One More Time - Nolan Strong & The Diablos

3. The Blues Don't Mean A Thing - Jive Bombers

4. Caddy Bo - Magnificents

2019-07-05 15:29:21 UTC
Try Me One More Time - Nolan Strong & The Diablos
http://youtu.be/Dlz4nPUDeuU
Caddy Bo - Magnificents
http://youtu.be/J3zmdvvfcCM
Pistol Packin' Mama - Hurricanes
http://youtu.be/XAU2Zbc-iu8
The Blues Don't Mean A Thing - Jive Bombers
http://youtu.be/7bXkM6XfPy4
Damn, all four of my nominations in the first four groups. I'm going to have a long time to lick my wounds.
SavoyBG
2019-07-05 15:33:13 UTC
Try Me One More Time - Nolan Strong & The Diablos
http://youtu.be/Dlz4nPUDeuU
Caddy Bo - Magnificents
http://youtu.be/J3zmdvvfcCM
Pistol Packin' Mama - Hurricanes
http://youtu.be/XAU2Zbc-iu8
The Blues Don't Mean A Thing - Jive Bombers
http://youtu.be/7bXkM6XfPy4
Damn, all four of my nominations in the first four groups. I'm going to have a long time to lick my wounds.
They could be DEEP wounds if "Caddy Bo" goes out and you lose 3 records in the first 4 groups!

And my 4 records ended up in the last 4 groups in these prelims.
OleManRiver
2019-07-05 17:17:33 UTC
1. Try Me One More Time - Nolan Strong & The Diablos
2. The Blues Don't Mean A Thing - Jive Bombers
3. Caddy Bo - Magnificents
4. Pistol Packin' Mama - Hurricanes
Bill B
2019-07-05 17:30:42 UTC
1 Caddy Bo - Magnificents
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/J3zmdvvfcCM
2 Pistol Packin' Mama - Hurricanes
http://youtu.be/XAU2Zbc-iu8
http://youtu.be/7bXkM6XfPy4
http://youtu.be/Dlz4nPUDeuU
Dennis C
2019-07-05 17:53:18 UTC
1- "Try Me One More Time"- Kicks the door in right away and doesn't stop! Nolan Strong's vocal rides the swells sndcrests of that jangly guitar and leads the competition to this point, baby!!

2- "The Blues Don't Mean a Thing"- Tremendous lead singer on a song that could be laid down by Bobby Darin!

3- "Pistol Packin' Mama"- Fair enough refiguring of the Al Dexter classic. Surreal vision of a crazed gun-totin' shrew with "dooby ooby doo" streaming as accompaniment.

4- "Candy Bo" Somebody tell Bill Bugge that these tunes are submitted for a contest and not to a "Junk be Gone" pickup service to rid him of unwanted clutter!!
Bill B
2019-07-06 10:41:23 UTC
4- "Candy Bo" Somebody tell Bill Bugge that these tunes are submitted for a contest and not to a "Junk be Gone" pickup service to rid him of unwanted clutter!!
It's only part contest. It is also an opportunity to give exposure to various types of music and unusual variations within specific types. Yes, I'd like to win, but not at the expense of compromising my values.

I already have next month's selections ready to go, including one I've subtitled "Dennis' Song."
Jim Colegrove
2019-07-05 19:33:26 UTC
1. Try Me One More Time - Nolan Strong & The Diablos

2. The Blues Don't Mean A Thing - Jive Bombers

3. Pistol Packin' Mama - Hurricanes

4. Caddy Bo - Magnificents
SavoyBG
2019-07-06 18:42:28 UTC

1. Try Me One More Time - Nolan Strong & The Diablos - 33
2. Pistol Packin' Mama - Hurricanes - 29
3. The Blues Don't Mean A Thing - Jive Bombers - 24

4. Caddy Bo - Magnificents - 14

The Diablos and Hurricanes definitely advance. The Jive Bombers will probably advance. The Mags are out.
SavoyBG
The Jive Bombers definitely advance because we already have 2 items with less than 24 points.
Roger Ford
2019-07-05 20:18:33 UTC
Try Me One More Time - Nolan Strong & The Diablos -8
Pistol Packin' Mama - Hurricanes - 7
The Blues Don't Mean A Thing - Jive Bombers - 6
Caddy Bo - Magnificents -4

2019-07-05 20:35:05 UTC
Try Me One More Time - Nolan Strong & The Diablos -8
Easily their best for 1956 this is my favorite record in the whole
contest for this month. Take a bow Jack & Devora for this one!
Post by Roger Ford
Pistol Packin' Mama - Hurricanes - 7
There were TWO James Browns who appeared on the King label and the
"other one" featured in this group along with Vernon Britton,Frederick
Williams & Henry Auston. This was their first release for the label in
1955
Post by Roger Ford
The Blues Don't Mean A Thing - Jive Bombers - 6
This was the followup to the great 1956 "Bad Boy" their most famous
record to which is not a patch on. Neither is it comparable to the
fine release that followed it "Cherry". Both records mentioned were in
their respective Singles Battles
Post by Roger Ford
Caddy Bo - Magnificents -4
I've commented on this before but to reiterate---this is the very
sub-standard followup to one of my very favorite group records
ever---the wonderful "Up On The Mountain". The dismal femme lead
(Barbara Arrington) completely kills it for me

I wish any 2 of these had been in the previous group.
DianeE
2019-07-05 21:35:56 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
1. Pistol Packin' Mama - Hurricanes
2. Try Me One More Time - Nolan Strong & The Diablos
3. The Blues Don't Mean A Thing - Jive Bombers
4. Caddy Bo - Magnificents
-----------
Looks like Rick and Steve ranked them the same way I did this time. No
earthquake can faze these guys!
SavoyBG
2019-07-05 22:54:31 UTC
Need Carl's ballot to finish up, but "Caddy Bo" is long gone already.
DianeE
2019-07-06 01:36:08 UTC
Need Carl's ballot to finish up, but "Caddy Bo" is long gone already.
------------
2 days ago Carl said "May not have internet next 2 days. Try my best."
How about giving him another day?
SavoyBG
I'm not moving on until he posts.
Bill B
2019-07-06 10:37:53 UTC
Need Carl's ballot to finish up, but "Caddy Bo" is long gone already.
One benefit of its trouncing is it makes "Chi Chi Merengue" look good.
Roger Ford
2019-07-06 10:51:28 UTC
Need Carl's ballot to finish up, but "Caddy Bo" is long gone already.
One benefit of its trouncing is it makes "Chi Chi Merengue" look good.
The only thing that would make "Chi Chi Merengue" look good is melting
it down into an ashtray

2019-07-06 11:02:38 UTC
Need Carl's ballot to finish up, but "Caddy Bo" is long gone already.
One benefit of its trouncing is it makes "Chi Chi Merengue" look good.
---------
"Chi Chi Merengue" is just too *exotic* for me. Like Chinese opera, or
Indian raga music. I can't even say if it's good or bad. It all just
sounds weird (and unpleasant) to me.

I often think that the Jewish liturgical music I have heard in the
synagogue all my life must sound just that weird to anyone from another
culture, although I take it for granted. Most cantors are operatically
trained and have great voices, but I would not in a million years dream
of entering a cantorial recording in a contest like this.
Steve Mc
2019-07-05 23:46:08 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
1. Pistol Packin' Mama - Hurricanes
2. Try Me One More Time - Nolan Strong & The Diablos
3. The Blues Don't Mean A Thing - Jive Bombers
4. Caddy Bo - Magnificents
-----------
Looks like Rick and Steve ranked them the same way I did this time.  No
earthquake can faze these guys!
I didn't feel it up here, but back in '89....

I didn't feel it down here, but some people in my general neighborhood said they felt it a bit.
Dennis C
2019-07-06 00:44:58 UTC
I felt the thudding tremor all the way down here of "Candy Bo"'s plummet in this contest, baby!!!
Roger Ford
2019-07-06 11:55:31 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
Post by Steve Mc
Post by Roger Ford
Post by Steve Mc
1. Pistol Packin' Mama - Hurricanes
2. Try Me One More Time - Nolan Strong & The Diablos
3. The Blues Don't Mean A Thing - Jive Bombers
4. Caddy Bo - Magnificents
-----------
Looks like Rick and Steve ranked them the same way I did this time.  No
earthquake can faze these guys!
I didn't feel it up here, but back in '89....
I didn't feel it down here, but some people in my general neighborhood said they felt it a bit.
One of the small advantages of living in the British Isles is the fact
that they sit stabilised in the middle of their tectonic plate meaning
that very,very little in the way of even minor earth tremors ever
happen here and absolutely none of that volcano shit

2019-07-05 21:28:36 UTC
No snarky comments from me this time--I liked all of these.

1-Pistol Packin' Mama - Hurricanes
Never heard this one before, amazed at how well this pure country record
translates into R&B doowopp.
4-Caddy Bo - Magnificents
Carl
2019-07-06 18:15:18 UTC
Hurricanes
Diablos
Jive Bombers
Magnificents

Like all 4 of these. Back in civilization now