Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - October - Semi-Finals - Group 2
2020-10-23 13:49:35 UTC

You're The Only Girl Dolores - Nolan Strong & His Diablos

She Used To Be My Woman - Long John

I Ain't Got You - Jimmy Reed

Why Do I Love You - Flairs

SavoyBG
2020-10-23 13:50:06 UTC

1. She Used To Be My Woman - Long John
2. Why Do I Love You - Flairs
3. I Ain't Got You - Jimmy Reed
4. You're The Only Girl Dolores - Nolan Strong & His Diablos
Steve Mc
2020-10-23 14:09:03 UTC
1. I Ain't Got You - Jimmy Reed

2. Why Do I Love You - Flairs

3. She Used To Be My Woman - Long John

4. You're The Only Girl Dolores - Nolan Strong & His Diablos

2020-10-23 13:54:17 UTC
1-I Ain't Got You - Jimmy Reed
2-You're The Only Girl Dolores - Nolan Strong & His Diablos
3-Why Do I Love You - Flairs

4-She Used To Be My Woman - Long John
Roger Ford

2020-10-23 14:13:04 UTC
1- Long John Hunter

2- Jimmy Reed

3- Diablos

4- Flairs
Carl
2020-10-23 14:36:03 UTC
1. You're The Only Girl Dolores - Nolan Strong & His Diablos
2. I Ain’t Got You - Jimmy Reed
3. She Used To Be My Woman - Long John
4. Why Do I Love You - Flairs
Jim Colegrove
2020-10-23 14:38:01 UTC

Rick Schubert
2020-10-23 15:47:48 UTC
1. Why Do I Love You - Flairs
4. I Ain't Got You - Jimmy Reed
SavoyBG
2020-10-23 15:53:04 UTC

1. I Ain't Got You - Jimmy Reed - 25
2. You're The Only Girl Dolores - Nolan Strong & His Diablos - 23 (5-4)

3. She Used To Be My Woman - Long John - 23
4. Why Do I Love You - Flairs - 19

Steve's JR wins the group and Roger's Diablos win the tie breaker 5-4 to tak second and knock out my Long John. My Flairs is also out.
SavoyBG
2020-10-23 15:57:19 UTC
Here are the items that will be in tomorrow's FINAL FOUR

Romp And Stomp Blues - Mercy Dee (Carl)
(All Alone And) Miserable - The Gardenias (Roger)
Ain't Got You - Jimmy Reed (Steve)
You're The Only Girl Dolores - Nolan Strong & His Diablos (Roger)

Looks like Mercy Dee and Jimmy Reed will vie for number one, but we'll see what happens.

Jimmy Reed only finished 4th in the prelims in this group.....

1. She Used To Be My Woman - Long John (Bruce)
2. Dim Lights - JB Hutto & His Hawks (Carl)
3. Oop Boopy Oop - Don Julian & The Meadowlarks (Roger)
4. I Ain't Got You - Jimmy Reed (Steve)

.....But it has picked up steam ever since.
Dennis C from Tennessee
2020-10-23 16:16:49 UTC
Here's my personal top four of the entire contest:

1- Lenny Miles( Had he lived another 60 years, he'd be suing all of you for non support

2-Royal Jesters( Glad you unearthed this but stunned at the unearthly way you reburied it!)

3- Mercy Dee (you got one right!!)

4- Homesick James (kept growing on me!)

Lots of honorable mentions not the least of which was that rockabilliest Pat Cupp number!!!

Very entertaining contest this month, baby!!
DianeE
2020-10-23 16:33:18 UTC
Post by Dennis C from Tennessee
1- Lenny Miles( Had he lived another 60 years, he'd be suing all of you for non support
2-Royal Jesters( Glad you unearthed this but stunned at the unearthly way you reburied it!)
3- Mercy Dee (you got one right!!)
4- Homesick James (kept growing on me!)
Lots of honorable mentions not the least of which was that rockabilliest Pat Cupp number!!!
Very entertaining contest this month, baby!!
------------
The unreleased Flairs track was the find of the month for me. Very
bouncy, enjoyable record. Unfortunately a few beats too slow for brisk
walking.
RWC
2020-10-24 07:07:55 UTC
On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 09:16:49 -0700 (PDT), Dennis C from Tennessee
Post by Dennis C from Tennessee
1- Lenny Miles( Had he lived another 60 years, he'd be suing all of you for non support
Tells us Dennis, that you have a soft spot for cusp teen pop ballads,
with strings and all :-)
Post by Dennis C from Tennessee
2-Royal Jesters( Glad you unearthed this but stunned at the unearthly way you reburied it!)
3- Mercy Dee (you got one right!!)
4- Homesick James (kept growing on me!)
Very entertaining contest this month, baby!!
Entertaining for sure, Dennis,
these are my authoritative top four for the contest, baby! -
seriously!

In no particular order:

Dim Lights - JB Hutto & His Hawks [Carl]

Love Me - Royal Jesters [Jim]

You've Been Good To Everybody - Du Droppers [Rick]

All Alone And Miserable - The Gardenias [Roger]

Dennis C from Tennessee
2020-10-24 11:03:04 UTC
Jeoff!!

You figured me out on the cusp teen pop ballads!!
I always bristled when I heard the saccharine accusations hurled at David Gates!! I firmly contended that his concoctions were pure crystalized sucrose, baby!!!
RWC
2020-10-24 15:29:24 UTC
On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 04:03:04 -0700 (PDT), Dennis C from Tennessee
Post by Dennis C from Tennessee
I always bristled when I heard the saccharine accusations hurled at David Gates!!
I firmly contended that his concoctions were pure crystalized sucrose, baby!!!
(OMG, speaking as your pro bono PR consultant, Dennis, I think we
might need some reputational risk management/damage control here:)

Let it be known that you also like David Gates sans saccharine:

Lovin' At Night [Robbins 1008;;Nashville] - July 1958

Swingin' Baby Doll [East West 123;;NYC] - Feb 1959

and the flip

Walkin' And Talkin'

You'll Be My Baby [Mala 413] - Jan 1960

and the doo wop flip:

What's This I Hear

( Geoff has the Usenet Binaries 26-track David Gates 'album' "Swinging
Baby Doll, 1958-1965" {posted in 2014}, which includes all or many of
his sucrose concoctions, baby! :-)
Dennis C from Tennessee
2020-10-24 15:54:55 UTC
Geoffrey!!!

Wow!!! I mean I never knew he dated back that far and what a contrast from these primordial beginnings to his more polished, sophisticated, and shall we say more granulated sucrose of the 70's!!

Thanks for your confectional wisdom, baby!!!