The Number Ones: Percy Faith’s “Theme From A Summer Place“
2018-11-25 21:52:15 UTC
A writer named Tom Breihan has been reviewing, in order, every song to hit #1 in the Billboard Hot 100.

Percy Faith – “Theme From A Summer Place“
HIT #1: February 22, 1960
STAYED AT #1: 9 weeks

How, exactly, does stuff like this happen? A piece of fluffy and inconsequential instrumental music, from a tawdry and manipulative melodrama that nobody even remembers today, ends up dominating the Billboard Hot 100 for a good chunk of 1960, selling more records than any other single that year and, for good measure, winning the Grammy for Record Of The Year. On top of that, Percy Faith’s version of “Theme From A Summer Place” isn’t even the one that plays during the movie, and it isn’t even the movie’s main theme. But all of that happened. By the Billboard chart metric, “Theme From A Summer Place” is the most popular instrumental song in history, and I can’t for the life of me figure out why.

Historically, movies have held a huge influence over the Billboard charts, and you can see an example of that as recently as the long reign of Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth’s “See You Again.” But why this song? From this movie? If this trailer is any indication, the movie is an endless string of glares and accusations and family betrayals, and yet the theme is a light, gooey easy-listening waltz. So maybe the contrast between the story and the music is what drove this? Or maybe this was just a time when people actively sought out elevator music. In any case, more than any song I’ve encountered yet in the course of this project, this one baffles me.

2018-11-25 22:07:30 UTC
As traditional pop instrumentals go it's one of the best IMO. It's a low 7 for me. I never minded when it was played on the radio, unlike shit pop
instrumentals like "Love Theme From Romeo and Juliet" by Mancini and "Exodus" by Ferrante & Teicher, which are both horrid IMO.
Roger Ford
2018-11-26 06:22:18 UTC
As traditional pop instrumentals go it's one of the best IMO. It's a low 7 for me. I never minded when it was played on the radio, unlike shit pop
instrumentals like "Love Theme From Romeo and Juliet" by Mancini and "Exodus" by Ferrante & Teicher, which are both horrid IMO.
Never liked the Mancini (but I do like his "Moon River") but I always
kinda liked the sound of those pianos on "Exodus"

2018-11-25 22:38:46 UTC
If I were to pick a favorite traditional pop instrumental from this era, this would be it. It may be a cheat, because a jazz pianist is in front, but those lush strings seem to anchor it as pop.

2018-11-25 22:44:27 UTC
http://youtu.be/eFXql17YyAk
That's a 2 for me.
SavoyBG
2018-11-25 23:10:24 UTC
If I were to pick a favorite traditional pop instrumental from this era,
I'd take this:

Roger Ford
2018-11-26 06:24:03 UTC
--
Musak to my ears

2018-11-26 13:20:28 UTC
If I were to pick a favorite traditional pop instrumental from this era,
this would be it. It may be a cheat, because a jazz pianist is in front,
but those lush strings seem to anchor it as pop.
Musak to my ears
I love it, but I can accept that I might be the only one here to even like it.

2018-11-26 21:41:28 UTC
If I were to pick a favorite traditional pop instrumental from this era,
this would be it. It may be a cheat, because a jazz pianist is in front,
but those lush strings seem to anchor it as pop.
Musak to my ears
I love it, but I can accept that I might be the only one here to even like it.
--------------
It's waaaaaaaaaaaay tooooooooooo
drrrrrrraaaaaaaggggggggggggggggggggyyyyyyyyyyyyy for me.

I liked a lot of pop instrumentals when I was a kid, "Quiet Village" by
Martin Denny for example, "Peter Gunn" by Ray Anthony, and when I was
too young to buy records, "Under Paris Skies," "Moulin Rouge," and of
course "The Third Man Theme."

I hated "So Rare" by Jimmy Dorsey orch. because of the blaring horns,
but now that I'm half deaf it doesn't sound as awful to me as it used
to. I love "Tea For Two Cha Cha" by Tommy Dorsey orch., especially in
stereo, and I don't care what any of you think!
Roger Ford
2018-11-27 09:18:27 UTC
[...]
I always liked "So Rare" although it didn't repeat its US success over
here. It did get a few plays on BBC tho

I remember liking bro Tommy's cha cha record at the time but it sounds
dreary and tiresome now. The other big hit cha cha "Patricia" still
has some appeal tho

2018-11-28 23:13:48 UTC
[...]
------------
Yes, Perez Prado. It was very big in NYC. I had no idea he was a big
mambo king at one time.

Bill B
2018-11-26 14:50:52 UTC
If I were to pick a favorite traditional pop instrumental from this era, this would be it. It may be a cheat, because a jazz pianist is in front, but those lush strings seem to anchor it as pop.
I have a great collection on two CDs of Pop Instrumental Classics:

DISC ONE:
1. THEME FROM A SUMMER PLACE - Percy Faith
2. MOONGOLOW AND THEME FROM PICNIC - Morris Stoloff and The Columbia Pictures Orchestra
3. BLUE TANGO - Leroy Anderon
4. THE POOR PEOPLE OF PARIS (JEAN'S SONG)- Les Baxter
5. LAST DATE - Floyd Cramer
6. LOVE IS BLUE - Paul Mauriat
7. CHERRY PINK AND APPLE BLOSSOM WHITE (CEREZO ROSA) Perez Prado
8. CHARIOTS OF FIRE -Vangelis
9. LOVE'S THEME - Love Unlimited Orchestra
10. MUSIC BOX DANCER - Frank Mills
11. MARIA ELENA - Los Indios Tabajaras
12. SAIL ALONG SILV'RY MOON - Billy Vaughn
13. JOY - Apollo 100
14. NEVER ON SUNDAY - Don Costa
15. MOON RIVER - Henry Mancini
16. SHANGRI-LA - Robert Maxwell
17. YELLOW BIRD - Arthur Lyman
18. UNCHAINED MELODY - Les Baxter
19. RUBY - Richard Hayman
20. THE STRIPPER - David Rose
DISC TWO:
1. THIRD MAN THEME -Anton Karas
2. THE HOT CANARY - Florian Zabach
3. QUIET VILLAGE - Martin Denny
4. SO RARE - Jimmy Dorsey
5. HOLIDAY FOR STRINGS - David Rose
6. EBB TIDE - Frank Chacksfield
7. CANADIAN SUNSET - Hugo Winterhalter
8. ONLY YOU - Frank Pourcel
9. AUTUMN LEAVES - Roger Williams
10. LISBON ANTIQUA - Nelson Riddle
11. LOVE THEME FROM ROMEO AND JULIET - Henry Mancini
12. STRANGER ON THE SHORE - Mr. Acker Bilk
13. MELODY OF LOVE - Billy Vaughn
14. THE ENTERTAINER - Marvin Hamlisch
15. PATRICIA - Perez Prado
16. WHITE SILVER SANDS - Bill Black's Combo
17. A WALK IN THE BLACK FOREST - Horst Jankowski
18. SONG FROM MOULIN ROUGE (WHERE IS YOUR HEART)- Percy Faith
19. SOMEWHERE MY LOVE (LARA'S THEME FROM DR. ZHIVAGO)- Ray Conniff
20. WONDERLAND BY NIGHT - Bert Kaempfert

My favorite is "A Walk In The Black Forest" by Horst Jankowski. I don't consider the two Perez Prado inclusions as Pop, but Latin.

SavoyBG
2018-11-26 14:59:41 UTC
[...]
http://youtu.be/TNLOSUcvVF8
I prefer this version:

Bill B
2018-11-26 15:06:40 UTC
http://youtu.be/zPZUF82UBpY
It's very good, but I'll stick with Horst. I know you're a fan of TJB. So am I. Also, their labelmates, the Baja Marimba Band. I notice marimbas on their version of "A Walk In The Black Forest."
SavoyBG
There's too much garbage on here and too big of an era covered to classify this as a "great" collection IMO.
Bill B
Garbage? I like everything in the collection. How does the length of time covered affect quality?
SavoyBG
2018-11-26 15:23:06 UTC
[...]
Can't really argue taste, but there are several things on there that really blow IMO. You really like MUSIC BOX DANCER?>????
I don't think that there's any kind of a flow to a set that jumps around to so many different types of sounds. That Robert Maxwell is a 1 or a 0 for me. The Pourcel is a puker too.
Bill B
2018-11-26 15:55:06 UTC
[...]
Yes I do. So, apparently, does my Good Humor Man, who plays it during his rounds. :-)
That Robert Maxwell is a 1 or a 0 for me. The Pourcel is a puker too.

I like "Only You," though it's not on a par with most of the others. Perhaps I should have said I sort of like "Shangri La."

Not liking two out of 40 doesn't preclude greatness. What others are under five for you?
Bill B
2018-11-26 16:00:22 UTC
Not liking two out of 40 doesn't preclude greatness. What others are under five for you?
Change under five to what others are garbage.
SavoyBG
2018-11-26 17:52:26 UTC
Not liking two out of 40 doesn't preclude greatness. What others are under five for you?
Change under five to what others are garbage.
CHARIOTS OF FIRE -Vangelis
MUSIC BOX DANCER - Frank Mills
SHANGRI-LA - Robert Maxwell
UNCHAINED MELODY - Les Baxter
RUBY - Richard Hayman
THE HOT CANARY - Florian Zabach
HOLIDAY FOR STRINGS - David Rose
EBB TIDE - Frank Chacksfield
ONLY YOU - Frank Pourcel
LOVE THEME FROM ROMEO AND JULIET - Henry Mancini
MELODY OF LOVE - Billy Vaughn
SONG FROM MOULIN ROUGE (WHERE IS YOUR HEART)- Percy Faith
SavoyBG
2018-11-26 16:02:50 UTC
What others are under five for you?
These are all 4 or lower:

BLUE TANGO - Leroy Anderon
CHARIOTS OF FIRE -Vangelis
LOVE'S THEME - Love Unlimited Orchestra
MUSIC BOX DANCER - Frank Mills
MOON RIVER - Henry Mancini
SHANGRI-LA - Robert Maxwell
Mark Dintenfass
2018-11-26 16:50:30 UTC
18. SONG FROM MOULIN ROUGE (WHERE IS YOUR HEART)- Percy Faith
This is probably my favorite pop "instrumental" from your list--the
quotation marks are because of the terrific singing by Felicia Saunders
near the end.
Post by Bill B
7. CHERRY PINK AND APPLE BLOSSOM WHITE (CEREZO ROSA) Perez Prado
I like this even better but, to avoid a definitional debate, I'll
momentarily pretend to agree with you that it's not "pop."

Anyone know what instrument makes that deep rumbling bass note that
comes in sporadically? It's a fantastic hook.
Post by Bill B
14. NEVER ON SUNDAY - Don Costa
1. THIRD MAN THEME -Anton Karas
Two excellent movie themes from two excellent movies.
Post by Bill B
18. UNCHAINED MELODY - Les Baxter
A truly great movie theme from a thoroughly mediocre movie, but I never
choose to listen to the Baxter version. There are a number of sung
versions I like, but Al Hibbler's is the only one I really need. It's
probably my favorite "pop" song of the whole decade.

Speaking of "Unchained," I was watching the Wisconsin football game
over the weekend and the announcers filled some time by talking about
Elroy 'Crazylegs' Hirsch, a star halfback for Wisconsin (and later for
Michigan), who after a pro career went on to a brief movie career,
including the starring role in "Unchained." Somewhere (in case you're
thinking I am wandering off-topic) I have an album cover that refers to
Chuck 'Crazylegs' Berry, and that nickname for our main man no doubt
connects back to Hirsch. A quick Google search indicates that the
somewhat annoying nickname has stuck with Chuck in some quarters,
especially among European fans who post his stuff to YouTube.

Nothing else in your great collection grabs me.
2018-11-26 20:12:59 UTC
On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 10:50:30 -0600, Mark Dintenfass
Post by Bill B
7. CHERRY PINK AND APPLE BLOSSOM WHITE (CEREZO ROSA) Perez Prado
I like this even better but, to avoid a definitional debate, I'll
momentarily pretend to agree with you that it's not "pop."
Anyone know what instrument makes that deep rumbling bass note that
comes in sporadically? It's a fantastic hook.
I would guess that's a tuba.
14. NEVER ON SUNDAY - Don Costa
Dennis C
2018-11-26 20:46:24 UTC
Schwarzenegger with a cold would declaim:"It's not a tuba"!!!!
Mark Dintenfass
2018-11-27 01:05:10 UTC
I like this even better but, to avoid a definitional debate, I'll
momentarily pretend to agree with you that it's not "pop."
Anyone know what instrument makes that deep rumbling bass note that
comes in sporadically? It's a fantastic hook.
I would guess that's a tuba.
Never heard a tuba sound like that, but I'll take your word for it. For
some reason, that sound lifts the whole record to another level for me,
which is one reason I like it a lot more than I like "Patricia."
2018-11-27 03:59:50 UTC
If I were to pick a favorite traditional pop instrumental from this era, this would be it. It may be a cheat, because a jazz pianist is in front, but those lush strings seem to anchor it as pop.
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Instrumental-Gold/release/5801988

One major omission, an all time super great, is Percy Faith's DELICADO from '52.

You might also like his BOLERO from '50.

(non 12" album) BAXTER tracks, not in the list, that I like:
Moon Moods '47
[another good theremin number: Billy May - This Room Is My Castle Of Quiet '49
I Love Paris '53
April In Portugal '53
and for something different: Sabre Dance '59

Two Billy Vaughan tracks worthy of inclusion:
Moritat from Three Penny Opera '56
A Swingin' Safari '62

A few other Adult Pop Instrumentals that would be a good fit for the List:
Don Costa AHOAC - Never On Sunday '60
Edmundo Ros AHO - Ecstacy '52
Bob Thompson, his Choir & Orch - Diga Diga Doo '58
Russ Case AHO - The Doll Dance '56
Ralph Marterie and his Down Beat Orch - Caravan '53
The John Buzon Trio - Caravan '59
Dick Hyman at the Piano - Caravan '60
Gordon Jenkins AHO w. Marshall Royal - Caravan '60
Ray Anthony AHO - Dragnet '53
Ray Martin AHConcertO - Gypsy Fiddler '51
Roger Williams w. Glenn Osser Orch. - Wanting You '55

and if 1965 was allowed
Sammy Kaye AHO - The Night Walker
Bill B
2018-11-27 11:31:27 UTC
Don Costa AHOAC - Never On Sunday '60
That's on the list (Disk 1, track 14)
Roger Ford
2018-11-27 10:13:13 UTC
If I were to pick a favorite traditional pop instrumental from this era, this would be it. It may be a cheat, because a jazz pianist is in front, but those lush strings seem to anchor it as pop.
1. THEME FROM A SUMMER PLACE - Percy Faith
The best version of one of my all time favorite movie themes
Post by Bill B
2. MOONGOLOW AND THEME FROM PICNIC - Morris Stoloff and The Columbia Pictures Orchestra
I liked the way the two distinct melodies are in "counterpoint" here
Post by Bill B
4. THE POOR PEOPLE OF PARIS (JEAN'S SONG)- Les Baxter
I liked the tune but not in this version. A rare example of the UK
version (Winifred Atwell on piano) being better
Post by Bill B
5. LAST DATE - Floyd Cramer
OK but I preferred his followup "On The Rebound"
Post by Bill B
6. LOVE IS BLUE - Paul Mauriat
I HATE this tune with a passion. Oh...except when the Dells do it :)
Post by Bill B
7. CHERRY PINK AND APPLE BLOSSOM WHITE (CEREZO ROSA) Perez Prado
Always liked this and the UK trumpet cover from Eddie ("O Mein Papa")
Calvert was not bad either. IIRC tune came from a Jane Russell movie
"Underwater"
Post by Bill B
14. NEVER ON SUNDAY - Don Costa
I might be out on a limb here in disliking both the movie and its
theme
Post by Bill B
15. MOON RIVER - Henry Mancini
Jerry Butler just edges it but Mancini's version isn't far behind IMO
Post by Bill B
18. UNCHAINED MELODY - Les Baxter
Love the song but not in this version. Has to be either #1 Al Hibbler
or #2 the overplayed but still terrific Righteous Brothers version
Post by Bill B
19. RUBY - Richard Hayman
From the movie "Ruby Gentry" I don't like any of the 1953 orchestral
versions. It had to wait years for the Ray Charles vocal treatment to
become one of the standout tracks on his "Dedicated To You" LP
Post by Bill B
20. THE STRIPPER - David Rose
So predictable it became boring on the second hearing
Post by Bill B
1. THIRD MAN THEME -Anton Karas
The actual title was "The Harry Lime Theme" and it came out in 1949
tho it wasn't a hit in US until 1950 when it was retitled. Completely
hypnotic zither melody from one of the best movies of the era
Post by Bill B
4. SO RARE - Jimmy Dorsey
One of my favorite 50's pop instrumentals that did nothing on the UK
chart
Post by Bill B
6. EBB TIDE - Frank Chacksfield
Another boring tune that had to wait for the Righteous Brothers to
liven it up
Post by Bill B
7. CANADIAN SUNSET - Hugo Winterhalter
Hate the instrumental version but Andy Williams did a halfway decent
vocal version shortly afterwards
Post by Bill B
9. AUTUMN LEAVES - Roger Williams
Again the Williams piano piece blows but Nat Cole nailed it in the
best vocal version I know of
Post by Bill B
10. LISBON ANTIQUA - Nelson Riddle
This tune was always called "In Old Lisbon" over here. Either way I
never liked it
Post by Bill B
12. STRANGER ON THE SHORE - Mr. Acker Bilk
Originally titled "Jenny" but retitled when it was used as the theme
to a forgettable BBC-TV childrens serial titled "Stranger On The
Shore". Tho it was from 1961 the Bilk record ended up the #1 record of
1962 in USA beating even "I Can't Stop Loving You"
Post by Bill B
15. PATRICIA - Perez Prado
Just about the only cha cha record I still like
Post by Bill B
18. SONG FROM MOULIN ROUGE (WHERE IS YOUR HEART)- Percy Faith
Another favorite movie theme with a very nice vocal part added
(courtesy Felicia Sanders)
Post by Bill B
20. WONDERLAND BY NIGHT - Bert Kaempfert
This is just horrible!! Never understand how it got to #1 in USA
Post by Bill B
My favorite is "A Walk In The Black Forest" by Horst Jankowski. I don't consider the two Perez Prado inclusions as Pop, but Latin.
http://youtu.be/TNLOSUcvVF8
This is another horrid one IMO. Don't like the tune in any version