Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - February - Preliminary Round - Group 5
2020-02-05 14:36:56 UTC

Mmm Mmm Baby - Spiders

The Flirt – Shirley & Lee

Back Home at Noon - Jimmy Reed

Wore To A Frazzel - Tony & Jackie Lamie

You Gotta Go Baby - Five Blue Notes

SavoyBG
2020-02-05 14:39:13 UTC

1. Mmm Mmm Baby - Spiders
2. You Gotta Go Baby - Five Blue Notes
3. The Flirt – Shirley & Lee
4. Back Home at Noon - Jimmy Reed
5. Wore To A Frazzel - Tony & Jackie Lamie

Roger's Hillbilly Rocker has some good elements to it, but overall it's such a mess that I had to put it last.
Roger Ford
2020-02-05 14:50:20 UTC
1. Mmm Mmm Baby - Spiders
2. You Gotta Go Baby - Five Blue Notes
3. The Flirt =E2=80=93 Shirley & Lee
4. Back Home at Noon - Jimmy Reed
5. Wore To A Frazzel - Tony & Jackie Lamie
Roger's Hillbilly Rocker has some good elements to it, but overall it's suc=
h a mess that I had to put it last.
Boo hoo!!

Um....is this the part in the script where I stamp my feet hard and
announce my imminent Rogexit? :)

Poor Roggie! Nobody likes his records.
Roger Ford
2020-02-05 15:51:26 UTC
1. Mmm Mmm Baby - Spiders
2. You Gotta Go Baby - Five Blue Notes
3. The Flirt =E2=80=93 Shirley & Lee
4. Back Home at Noon - Jimmy Reed
5. Wore To A Frazzel - Tony & Jackie Lamie
Roger's Hillbilly Rocker has some good elements to it, but overall it's suc=
h a mess that I had to put it last.
Boo hoo!!
Um....is this the part in the script where I stamp my feet hard and
announce my imminent Rogexit? :)
Poor Roggie! Nobody likes his records.
Jim'll come to the rescue I bet ya!!

2020-02-05 15:59:48 UTC
1. Back Home at Noon - Jimmy Reed

2. Mmm Mmm Baby - Spiders

3. The Flirt – Shirley & Lee

4. Wore To A Frazzel - Tony & Jackie Lamie

5. You Gotta Go Baby - Five Blue Notes

2020-02-05 14:41:12 UTC
You Gotta Go Baby - Five Blue Notes - 8
Wore To A Frazzel - Tony & Jackie Lamie - 8
Mmm Mmm Baby - Spiders - 7
Back Home at Noon - Jimmy Reed - 7
The Flirt - Shirley & Lee - 6

2020-02-05 14:55:06 UTC
Mmm Mmm Baby - Spiders

Recorded in March 1954 (at the same session that produced what I think
is the very best Spiders track to originate from that year---the
unreleased "Love's All I'm Puttin' Down") this was the FIRST recording
of this song. The boys recorded it again a month later in April which
went unissued until 1961 when Imperial included it in the song lineup
for their sole LP on the label.Chuck Carbo leads on both versions
Post by SavoyBG
The Flirt - Shirley & Lee

Overly-contrived flip of 1957's "Rockin' With The Clock" (which title
WAS in one of the Battles (the Duets one)
Post by SavoyBG
Back Home at Noon - Jimmy Reed

From the good selling 1962 "Just Jimmy Reed" LP on Vee Jay (that made
the Billboard album chart riding on his then-current "Good Lover" hit)
this was recorded earlier that year in Chicago personnel Jimmy Reed
voc,g,hca ; Lefty Bates g ; Jimmy Reed Jr b, :Al Duncan dms
Post by SavoyBG
Wore To A Frazzel - Tony & Jackie Lamie

Oddball rockabilly/hillbilly bop/country rock or whatever else you
wanna call it,I've always had a very soft spot for this one.
Apparently recorded in some Tannersville Va store on a pokey home tape
recorder and released---like so many of these things----on a custom
order Starday label (Sunset) in 1958
Post by SavoyBG
You Gotta Go Baby - Five Blue Notes

From 1954 on Sabre label of Chicago here's the excellent uptempo
followup to their "Ooh Baby" that was one of my nominations in last
month's contest. Fingers crossed that this one does a tad better for
Rick!

(BTW this one also features on that quite brilliant 1964 "Collectors
Showcase Vol 5 : Groups Three" album on Constellation that also
contains The Five Echoes' "Broke" featured elsewhere in this contest)

2020-02-05 15:57:42 UTC
1-You Gotta Go Baby - Five Blue Notes
2-Mmm Mmm Baby - Spiders
3-The Flirt – Shirley & Lee
4-Back Home at Noon - Jimmy Reed

5-Wore To A Frazzel - Tony & Jackie Lamie
I thought Shirley Goodman had an annoying voice, but she sounds like a
choir of angels next to this guy. Couldn't listen to more than 20
seconds. Reminds me of the Maddox Brothers & Rose.
Mark Dintenfass
2020-02-05 16:00:00 UTC
http://youtu.be/WlT_smeS730
You Gotta Go Baby - Five Blue Notes
Mmm Mmm Baby - Spiders
The Flirt ­ Shirley & Lee
Back Home at Noon - Jimmy Reed
Wore To A Frazzel - Tony & Jackie Lamie

Last round I liked them all and had to decide which was best. This
round I don't much like any of them and had to decide which was worst.
2020-02-05 15:59:51 UTC
DianeE
2020-02-05 16:17:07 UTC
Must be that astrological thing--Dinty and Rick's ballots are in perfect
alignment with mine.
Dennis C
2020-02-05 16:49:42 UTC
1- Shirley and Lee ( shirley enough, baby!!)

2- Tony and Jackie Lamie

3- Jimmy Reed

4- Spiders

5- Five Blue Notes
Carl
2020-02-05 17:15:28 UTC
Looks like I’m in the minority all the way down on this group. Every few years I listen to this Spiders song and think I’m going to like it because I generally like the Spiders. And then I listen and am disappointed.

This Five Blue Notes isn’t anywhere as good for me as Ooh Baby (or it’s flip side)

The Frazzel record is at least interesting enough I’d like to put it on a playlist for a while

1. Wore To A Frazzel - Tony & Jackie Lanier

2. Back Home at Noon - Jimmy Reed

3. The Flirt – Shirley & Lee

4. You Gotta Go Baby - Five Blue Notes

5. Mmm Mmm Baby - Spiders
Jim Colegrove
2020-02-05 17:18:26 UTC
1. Wore To A Frazzel - Tony & Jackie Lamie

2. Mmm Mmm Baby - Spiders

3. You Gotta Go Baby - Five Blue Notes

4. The Flirt – Shirley & Lee

5. Back Home at Noon - Jimmy Reed
SavoyBG
2020-02-05 17:41:25 UTC

1. You Gotta Go Baby - Five Blue Notes - 31
2. Mmm Mmm Baby - Spiders - 31
3. The Flirt – Shirley & Lee - 26
4. Wore To A Frazzel - Tony & Jackie Lamie - 24

5. Back Home at Noon - Jimmy Reed - 23

Rick's Five Blue Notes edges my Spiders in a 5-4 tie breaker to take the group. Bill manages to hit the ball and avoid the Golden Sombrero as S & L finished third. Roger's "Frazzel" was in deep shit after 8 ballots, but Jim's first place ranking along with his last place ranking for Steve's Jimmy Reed kept the Hillbilly mess in the contest. Steve's Jimmy Reed will not be back at noon or any other time!
Dennis C
2020-02-05 18:58:24 UTC
Billy fouled off a dozen pitches and served one into short left for a bingle, baby!!
SavoyBG
2020-02-05 19:41:47 UTC
Billy fouled off a dozen pitches and served one into short left for a bingle, baby!!
I've got him with a can of corn to CF.
Bill B
2020-02-05 23:09:34 UTC
Billy fouled off a dozen pitches and served one into short left for a bingle, baby!!
I've got him with a can of corn to CF.
It may have been a Texas Leaguer, but it looks like a rope in the box score. And, given my history, it feels like going yard.

By the way, can of corn is an out and Dennis' example is for a successful at bat.