Here's A Thought
2019-04-15 11:15:49 UTC
Suppose you can't vote for your own nominations in the Obscure Tournaments.

Pros? Cons?
SavoyBG
2019-04-15 12:41:35 UTC
Suppose you can't vote for your own nominations in the Obscure Tournaments.
Pros? Cons?
The tournament is about the records. Not about the people who nominated the records.

Besides, what would you do, only rank 3 of the 4 and the one that is your record gets zero points?
Dennis C
2019-04-15 13:00:57 UTC
Don't worry, Billy!!

I, in all likelihood, would vote for your shit record, baby!
SavoyBG
2019-04-15 13:05:14 UTC
Need I remind you, in the March finals I ranked my record (This I Know) last. It ended up winning because of the other voters, who gave it 5 first place rankings and 3 second place rankings.

There's nothing wrong with the tournament rules.
DianeE
2019-04-15 18:18:02 UTC
---------
But there's something wrong with the tournament *concept*.
SavoyBG
2019-04-16 00:29:20 UTC
Need I remind you, in the March finals I ranked my record (This I Know) last. It ended up winning because of the other voters, who gave it 5 first place rankings and 3 second place rankings.
There's nothing wrong with the tournament rules.
---------
But there's something wrong with the tournament *concept*.
No, there's not. Because the concept is not necessarily to find the best 4 records and the best overall record. It is to create excitement with each round as the tournament progresses and mainly to expose some odd records to the group.
Even people who don;t like to rank records can manage to rank 4 records at a time.
Bill B
Well, everyone would probably rank their nomination fourth with one vote. But I just threw it out for consideration of the possible effect. The only benefit I can think of is removing the need to vote your own nomination first as a defensive measure, hardly enough to change the rules. I have done that a few times (and I feel guilty when I do), although I usually like my nomination more than the other candidates.
SavoyBG
I rank them according to how much I like each one. As I've said, I have ranked my own record last already including in the final round in March.
RWC
2019-04-15 23:08:44 UTC
I rank them according to how much I like each one. As I've said, I have ranked my own record last already.
Geoff has ranked his own record last in February - Round 1 - Group 6

Medal please.
Mark Dintenfass
2019-04-15 17:12:19 UTC
Suppose you can't vote for your own nominations in the Obscure Tournaments.
Pros? Cons?
The tournament is about the records. Not about the people who nominated the records.
Besides, what would you do, only rank 3 of the 4 and the one that is your
record gets zero points?
Well, everyone would probably rank their nomination fourth with one vote. But
I just threw it out for consideration of the possible effect. The only
benefit I can think of is removing the need to vote your own nomination first
as a defensive measure, hardly enough to change the rules. I have done that a
few times (and I feel guilty when I do), although I usually like my
nomination more than the other candidates.
I root for my nominations when I think they are good, and I have no
guilt at all voting for them when I think they are better than other
choices, even just a tad better. They reflect my tastes, and that's
all, and I never expect anyone to share them. If people can't
appreciate, say, Eartha Kitt, that's simply their loss, not mine.
2019-04-15 23:33:21 UTC
My votes reflect my tastes, and that's
all, and I never expect anyone to share them. If people can't
appreciate, say, Eartha Kitt, that's simply their loss, not mine.
I expect everyone to share my tastes. If people can appreciate Lou Mac that's
simply their gain, not mine.
RWC
2019-04-16 00:05:12 UTC
I root when I think they are good, and I have no
guilt at all rooting them when I think they are better than other
choices, even just a tad better.
Mark the lad!
RWC
2019-04-15 23:38:55 UTC
Bill, my head's starting to hurt.
Bob Roman
2019-04-15 17:23:39 UTC
If this rule were put in place, and I want to protect my own song, I could just opt out of voting that round. Then the three others would be giving potential points to my song but I wouldn't be doing anything for them.

I'm for keeping everything as simple and easy as possible. I'm for no change.

2019-04-16 01:07:26 UTC
Suppose you can't vote for your own nominations in the Obscure Tournaments.
Pros? Cons?
Another thought.

To add more fun rounds, and to give lasting recognition to all nominations, how
about matchups for eliminated songs, done in such a way that when the tournament
finally ends, all nominations are ranked, like in Battle contests.