Anti-Obscurities
2021-01-22 23:57:03 UTC
I still think for a little diversion, one of these months we should each
nominate 4 or 5 of some of our favorites. I know we've done something
similar in the past, maybe even a few times, but not exactly in this format.

We'd probably also get more participants, as it'd be easier on
everybody. And if that happened, some of us wouldn't have to nominate
more songs than the others. Just sayin'.

And if successful, perhaps we could also have like a Doo Wop month, or
an Instrumental month, or a Blues month, or a Rockab... nah, that
probably wouldn't fly.

2021-01-23 03:55:45 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
I still think for a little diversion, one of these months we should each
nominate 4 or 5 of some of our favorites. I know we've done something
similar in the past, maybe even a few times, but not exactly in this format.
We'd probably also get more participants, as it'd be easier on
everybody. And if that happened, some of us wouldn't have to nominate
more songs than the others. Just sayin'.
And if successful, perhaps we could also have like a Doo Wop month, or
an Instrumental month, or a Blues month, or a Rockab... nah, that
probably wouldn't fly.
I'll second that. Especially if it leads to some conversation about the music
and not just a vote.

2021-01-23 04:13:34 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
I still think for a little diversion, one of these months we should each
nominate 4 or 5 of some of our favorites. I know we've done something
similar in the past, maybe even a few times, but not exactly in this format.
We'd probably also get more participants, as it'd be easier on
everybody. And if that happened, some of us wouldn't have to nominate
more songs than the others. Just sayin'.
And if successful, perhaps we could also have like a Doo Wop month, or
an Instrumental month, or a Blues month, or a Rockab... nah, that
probably wouldn't fly.
I'll second that. Especially if it leads to some conversation about the music,
and not just a vote.
Talking about music is like dancing about architecture. Sampson talks about music every day in long reviews that nobody wants to read.

After all these years what do you think we could say about "Roll Over Beethoven," "Long Tall Sally," "Come Go With Me" and "Don't Be Cruel?"
Steve Mc
2021-01-23 04:40:02 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
[...]
Are those your first nomination's ? I'll bet they'd all go petty far.

2021-01-28 00:48:14 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
Post by ***@aol.com
After all these years what do you think we could say about "Roll Over Beethoven,"
"Long Tall Sally," "Come Go With Me" and "Don't Be Cruel?"
Are those your first nomination's ? I'll bet they'd all go petty far.
I think few people here, Steve, would enjoy a contest that included the likes of
"Jailhouse Rock" in the nominations :-)
Steve Mc
2021-01-28 03:11:35 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
Post by ***@aol.com
After all these years what do you think we could say about "Roll Over Beethoven,"
"Long Tall Sally," "Come Go With Me" and "Don't Be Cruel?"
Are those your first nomination's ? I'll bet they'd all go petty far.
I think few people here, Steve, would enjoy a contest that included the likes of
"Jailhouse Rock" in the nominations :-)
Well that would go pretty far in my voting.

bbug
2021-01-23 11:25:07 UTC
On Jan 22, 2021 at 5:57:03 PM CST, "Steve Mc" <>
Post by Steve Mc
[...]
If I were to participate in such a contest, I would limit my nominations to those records that were added to Roger's original lists by group members as personal favorites, if that could be determined. Many of those were true obscurities which just became ineligible through chance.

I think it's a good idea, even for Rockabilly.
bbug
2021-01-23 12:43:48 UTC
If in fact it could be determined, I'd make a separate contest for personal nominations only.
Sav...@aol.com
2021-01-23 14:00:33 UTC
I'd be good with allowing any record that never won a battle in any of Roger's contests. That would make thousands more good records eligible without bringing in any of the real well known classics.
md
2021-01-23 15:26:32 UTC
Post by md
Post by Steve Mc
[...]
That "Come Go With Me" is the odd man out on this list? :)

2021-01-28 00:54:40 UTC
Post by md
Post by ***@aol.com
After all these years what do you think we could say about "Roll Over
Beethoven," "Long Tall Sally," "Come Go With Me" and "Don't Be Cruel?"
That "Come Go With Me" is the odd man out on this list? :)
Before reading your post, Mark, that's what I instinctively thought
- for some reason that eludes me.
md
2021-01-23 15:28:26 UTC
Talking about music is like dancing about architecture. Sampson talks abou
music every day in long reviews that nobody wants to read.
Nobody here is as long-winded as Sampson, or so often just dense.

2021-01-28 07:38:14 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
I still think for a little diversion, one of these months we should each
nominate 4 or 5 of some of our favorites ...
And if successful, perhaps we could also have like a Doo Wop month, or
an Instrumental month, or a Blues month, or a Rockabilly.
To be frank.
Steve, you being a 'cleanskin' in this newgroup (someone who has
not done anything wrong before, an unblemished character) and
furthermore, being someone who, one imagines, is positively liked
by many, you could, with confidence, start your own contest *with
a near guaranteed healthy participation*.
Steve Mc
2021-01-28 15:39:02 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
I still think for a little diversion, one of these months we should each
nominate 4 or 5 of some of our favorites ...
And if successful, perhaps we could also have like a Doo Wop month, or
an Instrumental month, or a Blues month, or a Rockabilly.
To be frank.
Steve, you being a 'cleanskin' in this newgroup (someone who has
not done anything wrong before, an unblemished character) and
furthermore, being someone who, one imagines, is positively liked
by many, you could, with confidence, start your own contest *with
a near guaranteed healthy participation*.
Thanks for the nice comments. Before you came around, I did run a clips
quiz here.

Here's the link from Marc Dashevsky's home page, and the foreward.

http://marcdashevsky.com/ClipsQuiz/

I periodically run oldies Clips Quizzes over at
rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s. Most have themes as indicated by the
title, and the clips are generally from the '50s through the early '60s.
I enjoy making these quiz clips as it's like playing with old friends.
There is a small core of the above group's regulars that usually play,
time permitting, though it'd be nice to have more participants. I'm also
sure the regulars would appreciate more competition. No prizes involved,
it's all for fun.

I really enjoyed doing it, but I really didn't get the participation
that I had hoped for, so I quit doing them. Although some of the
notables that did usually participate were Mark, Bill, Rick, Norm and
Marc, and even Peter Stoller on the Leiber & Stoller quiz. He got,if
memory serves, the only 100%. Go figure.

So anyway, I no longer have the patience and stamina do something like
you suggested, and besides, am enjoying the obscurites contest with
Bruce doing most of the heavy lifting.