Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - May Preliminary Round - Group 8
2019-05-08 15:24:37 UTC

I'm Out - The Surf Riders

Peaches And Cream - Larry Williams

Love Me Now Or Let Me Go - Dominoes

Little Wheel - John Lee Hooker

SavoyBG
2019-05-08 15:40:30 UTC

1. I'm Out - The Surf Riders - 7
2. Little Wheel - John Lee Hooker - 6
3. Love Me Now Or Let Me Go - Dominoes - 6
4. Peaches And Cream - Larry Williams - 4

The Surf Riders is #425 on my 1958 list. The organ on the Dominoes record drops it a smidge below the Hooker. The Larry Williams is exceedingly mediocre.
Roger Ford
2019-05-08 15:54:39 UTC
Little Wheel - John Lee Hooker -7
I'm Out - The Surf Riders - 6
Love Me Now Or Let Me Go - Dominoes 6
Peaches And Cream - Larry Williams 5

2019-05-08 16:07:51 UTC
Little Wheel - John Lee Hooker -7
Good rockin' groove on my favorite Hooker single of 1957
Post by Roger Ford
I'm Out - The Surf Riders - 6
Okay RAB single about which I have no other details sorry
Post by Roger Ford
Love Me Now Or Let Me Go - Dominoes -6
Jackie Wilson on lead recorded March 1954 released a year later
Post by Roger Ford
Peaches And Cream - Larry Williams 5
Below par LW that I never much cared for

2019-05-08 15:59:55 UTC
1-Love Me Now Or Let Me Go - Dominoes

2-Little Wheel - John Lee Hooker

3-I'm Out - The Surf Riders - it beats the 2 rockabillies in the last
round, but I still couldn't listen to the whole thing.

4-Peaches And Cream - Larry Williams - he phoned it in on this one.
Steve Mc
2019-05-08 17:06:22 UTC
1- Little Wheel - John Lee Hooker

2- I'm Out - The Surf Riders

3- Peaches And Cream - Larry Williams

4- Love Me Now Or Let Me Go - Dominoes

2019-05-08 16:29:49 UTC
1- "I'm Out"- NASCO Label gettin it done, baby!!
Clean gut bucket slap and an impeccable vocal has this rocksbilly curio on top!!

2- "Little Wheel" sets a solid shuffle early and stays there. Hooker's inimitable style does the rest!!

3- "Peaches and Cream" Larry Williams is better than this!!! Sounds like he should have hocked up four ounces of phlegm out of his neck befor the red light went on, baby!!

4- "Love me now or let me go" Splendid lead vocal. Overall effect is an insistent drone!!
OleManRiver
2019-05-08 16:32:09 UTC
Bill B
2019-05-08 17:28:27 UTC
1 Peaches And Cream - Larry Williams
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/IthPNPqq4gA
2 Love Me Now Or Let Me Go - Dominoes
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/JWprYLDiwVY
3 I'm Out - The Surf Riders
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/RCS1hPi0pOA
4 Little Wheel - John Lee Hooker
http://youtu.be/MBsfDXa9SOM
Carl
2019-05-08 18:46:13 UTC
Little Wheel
I’m Out
Peaches and Cream
Dominoes
Jim Colegrove
2019-05-08 19:10:35 UTC
1. I'm Out - The Surf Riders

Bob Roman
2019-05-08 20:13:45 UTC
1. Dominoes
2. Hooker
3. Riders
4. Williams

2019-05-08 21:17:58 UTC
1. Love Me Now Or Let Me Go - Dominoes
2. Peaches And Cream - Larry Williams
3. I'm Out - The Surf Riders
4. Little Wheel - John Lee Hooker
Mark Dintenfass
2019-05-08 21:28:10 UTC
Love Me Now Or Let Me Go - Dominoes
Peaches And Cream - Larry Williams
Little Wheel - John Lee Hooker
I'm Out - The Surf Riders

I seem to like the Larry Williams a bit more than some others, though
it's far from his great stuff, so the Dominoes workout with Jackie
Wilson gets the top. I'd praise it even more, since the opening of it
is great, but Wilson turns a bit too operatic when he hits the bridge.
2019-05-09 00:25:56 UTC

1. Little Wheel - John Lee Hooker - 35
2. I'm Out - The Surf Riders - 33
3. Love Me Now Or Let Me Go - Dominoes - 29

4. Peaches And Cream - Larry Williams - 23

Larry is out, the other 3 advance. It was looking like for sure that the Dominoes would get a lower 3rd place score than the 27 that the Accents got way back in group 1, but it finished with first place rankings on the last 3 ballots to avoid a chance of being eliminated.