Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - March - Preliminary Round - Group 1
2020-03-02 13:53:03 UTC

Be Sweet - Ernie K-Doe

I Can’t Refuse - The Orchids

Marihuana Boogie - Lalo Guerrero

Let 'Er Roll - Sid King & the Five Strings

Across The Track - Robert Parker

SavoyBG
2020-03-02 13:58:27 UTC

1. I Can’t Refuse - The Orchids
2. Let 'Er Roll - Sid King & the Five Strings
3. Be Sweet - Ernie K-Doe
4. Across The Track - Robert Parker
5. Marihuana Boogie - Lalo Guerrero
Steve Mc
2020-03-02 14:40:42 UTC
1. Let 'Er Roll - Sid King & the Five Strings

2. Across The Track - Robert Parker

3. Marihuana Boogie - Lalo Guerrero

4. Be Sweet - Ernie K-Doe

5. I Can’t Refuse - The Orchids

2020-03-02 14:12:38 UTC
Across The Track - Robert Parker - 8
I Can't Refuse - The Orchids - 7
Be Sweet - Ernie K-Doe - 7
Let 'Er Roll - Sid King & the Five Strings - 6
Marihuana Boogie - Lalo Guerrero - 4

2020-03-02 14:18:46 UTC
Be Sweet - Ernie K-Doe

(Cash Box review February 9 1963)
ERNIE K-DOE (Minit 661) o "BE SWEET" (2:27) [Shirlit BMI-Kador] 'The
performer tops a showing that's on the order of his big sometime-back
hit, "Mother-In-Law," although the setting sound is more ambitious
than the latter item. This grow-on-you sound should be watched. (B)
"EASIER SAID THAN DONE" (2:18) [Minit BMI- Kador] Touching soulful
vocal by the artist.
Post by SavoyBG
I Can't Refuse - The Orchids

Believed by some to actually be an old Five Thrills recording Parrot
released this nice bluesy ballad in 1955 as by The Orchids. It was the
flipside to their second release for the label following up the
Chicago group's best known record "Newly Wed"
Post by SavoyBG
Marihuana Boogie - Lalo Guerrero

From the guy who later gave the world the unforgettable "Pancho Lopez"
here's one for all the lyric lovers!! So what happens here? Foreign
lingo? Meanwhile on a "whats coming out the speakers" level its lively
but not at all my cuppa tea I'm afraid. But at least it beats poor ole
Pancho tho
Post by SavoyBG
Let 'Er Roll - Sid King & the Five Strings

The better side of Sid & co's superfluous cover of "Blue Suede Shoes"
on Columbia.
Recorded 31 January 1956 at Jim Beck Studio in Dallas,Tx. Personnel
Sid Ervin [vcl/rh gt], Billy Ervin [ld gt], Mel Robinson [steel],
Kenny Massey [bass], Dave White [drums], Bill Simmons [piano].
Producer: Don Law
Post by SavoyBG
Across The Track - Robert Parker

I'm sure glad Bruce increased the number of nominations per member or
else this 1960 winner from New Orleans by Robert Parker (of future
"Barefootin'" fame) would not be here. Bob follows up his regional hit
"All Nite Long" here with this excellent slab of best Louisiana r&b
on Joe Ruffino's Ron label .

2020-03-02 16:37:06 UTC
Marihuana Boogie - Lalo Guerrero
http://youtu.be/3DURBKVkaOoY0
From the guy who later gave the world the unforgettable "Pancho Lopez"
here's one for all the lyric lovers!! So what happens here? Foreign
lingo? Meanwhile on a "whats coming out the speakers" level its lively
but not at all my cuppa tea I'm afraid. But at least it beats poor ole
Pancho tho
As for foreign lyrics songs, imo, better than Dominique and Sukiaki,
though nowhere near as good as La Bamba or Tequila.

2020-03-02 14:21:19 UTC
Wow, good group. Hate to put anything last!

1-Be Sweet - Ernie K-Doe
2-Across The Track - Robert Parker
3-Let 'Er Roll - Sid King & the Five Strings
4-I Can’t Refuse - The Orchids
5-Marihuana Boogie - Lalo Guerrero
Jim Colegrove
2020-03-02 14:34:10 UTC
1. Let 'Er Roll - Sid King & the Five Strings

2. Marihuana Boogie - Lalo Guerrero

3. I Can’t Refuse - The Orchids

4. Across The Track - Robert Parker

5. Be Sweet - Ernie K-Doe
Mark Dintenfass
2020-03-02 14:58:59 UTC
Be Sweet - Ernie K-Doe
Across The Track - Robert Parker
I Can¹t Refuse - The Orchids
2020-03-02 15:25:36 UTC
RANKINGS

1. I Can’t Refuse - The Orchids
2. Let 'Er Roll - Sid King & the Five Strings
3. Across The Track - Robert Parker
4. Be Sweet - Ernie K-Doe
5. Marihuana Boogie - Lalo Guerrero
Rick Schubert
2020-03-02 15:54:32 UTC
1. I Can’t Refuse - The Orchids
RWC
2020-03-02 17:42:24 UTC
Folk with sophisticated taste will opt for :-)

1. Let 'Er Roll - Sid King & the Five Strings
http://youtu.be/OB584p83Nc0

2. Marihuana Boogie - Lalo Guerrero
http://youtu.be/URBKVkaOoY0

3. I Can’t Refuse - The Orchids
http://youtu.be/yrIwGa_8KoA

4. Across The Track - Robert Parker
http://youtu.be/qVR8UuhLRNo

5. Be Sweet - Ernie K-Doe
http://youtu.be/DI_b29mM6XI
SavoyBG
Are you voting, or just commenting?
SavoyBG
2020-03-02 22:09:36 UTC
Not sure if Geoff is voting or not.

FINAL RANKINGS WITHOUT GEOFF (same as Rick's ballot)

1. I Can’t Refuse - The Orchids - 33
2. Across The Track - Robert Parker - 31
3. Let 'Er Roll - Sid King & the Five Strings - 29
4. Be Sweet - Ernie K-Doe - 27

5. Marihuana Boogie - Lalo Guerrero- 15

Carl's Orchids record wins the group, followed closely by Diane's Robert Parker jam. Jim's Sid King and Mark's Ernest Kador also advance. Steve's Lalo el gonzo.

FINAL RANKINGS WITH GEOFF

1. I Can’t Refuse - The Orchids - 36
2. Let 'Er Roll - Sid King & the Five Strings - 34
3. 2. Across The Track - Robert Parker - 33
4. Be Sweet - Ernie K-Doe - 28

5. Marihuana Boogie - Lalo Guerrero- 19
Dennis C
2020-03-03 00:05:48 UTC
I do believe the Knoxville Blenders would have done better than Lalo, baby!!
RWC
2020-03-03 01:12:44 UTC
1. Let 'Er Roll - Sid King & the Five Strings
http://youtu.be/OB584p83Nc0
2. Marihuana Boogie - Lalo Guerrero
http://youtu.be/URBKVkaOoY0
Are you voting, or just commenting?
Just commenting, Bruce.
(I've since discovered that my ranking is identical to Jim's)
Dennis C
2020-03-02 19:56:44 UTC
1- Orchids

2- Ernie K-Doe

3- Robert Parker

4- Sid King

5- Lalo Guerrero ( I thought Bugge had stopped, baby!!)
RWC
2020-03-03 06:33:22 UTC
1- Orchids
2- Ernie K-Doe
3- Robert Parker
4- Sid King
5- Lalo Guerrero ( I thought Bugge had stopped, baby!!)
Your ranking suggests you should have gone into politics, Dennis.