My favorite 1980s records by 1950s artists
2018-09-15 18:26:52 UTC
Tony Bennett - The Song is Ended
Chuck Berry - I'm Through With Love
Bobby Bland - Members Only
James Brown - Living In America
Ruth Brown - Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out
Solomon Burke - Love Buys Love
Johnny Cash - Highway Patrolman
Ray Charles - 3/4 Time
Miles Davis - Perfect Way
The Dells - You Just Can't Walk Away
Dion - King of the New York Streets
Fats Domino - Whiskey Heaven
Four Tops - When She Was My Girl
Aretha Franklin - Sweet Bitter Love [Who's Zooming Who version]
John Lee Hooker - The Healer
The Impressions - Fan The Fire
(Curtis Mayfield - Baby It's You)
The Isley Brothers - Between the Sheets
Wanda Jackson - Rock-a-billy Fever
Etta James - Damn Your Eyes
Waylon Jennings - Will the Wolf Survive
George Jones - He Stopped Loving Her Today
B.B King - There Must Be a Better World Somewhere
Carole King - One Fine Day
Gladys Knight & Pips - Landlord
Brenda Lee - Broken Trust
Jerry Lee Lewis - Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Little Milton - Age Ain't Nothin' But a Number
Little Richard - Rock Island Line
Professor Longhair - Red Beans
Dean Martin - Since I Met You Baby
Johnny Mathis - Love Won't Let Me Wait [w/Deniece Williams]
Rick Nelson - Almost Saturday Night
Willie Nelson - Seven Spanish Angels [w/Ray Charles]
Roy Orbison - You Got It
Buck Owens - Streets of Bakersfield [w/Dwight Yoakam]
Carl Perkins - Birth Of Rock And Roll
Ray Price - San Antonio Rose [w/Willie Nelson]
Charlie Rich - Goodtime Charlie's Got The Blues
Smokey Robinson - Let Me Be the Clock
Frank Sinatra - Theme from New York, New York
The Staple Singers - Slippery People
Joe Tex - Don't Do Da Do
Irma Thomas - A Woman Left Lonely
Tom and Jerry - Slip Slidin' Away [Concert in the Park version]
Tina Turner - What's Love Got to Do With It
Muddy Waters - I'm a King Bee

2018-09-15 19:47:27 UTC
Ain’t She Something Else
Conway Twitty
Bill B
2018-09-15 21:43:37 UTC
Morse Code Of Love (Capris 1982):

Bob Roman
2018-09-16 22:13:04 UTC
Dion - King of the New York Streets
The Everly Brothers - On the Wings of a Nightingale
Post by Bob Roman
Fats Domino - Whiskey Heaven
2018-09-17 05:37:27 UTC
George Benson* - "Turn Your Love Around"

Aretha Franklin - "Freeway of Love"

Marvin Gaye** - "Sexual Healing"

The Harptones - "Love Needs A Heart"

The Isley Brothers - "Don't Say Goodnight (It's Time For Love)"

Bullmoose Jackson - "Get Off the Table, Mable (The Two Dollars Is For The Beer)"

B.B. King - "Inflation Blues"

Little Richard - "Great Gosh A' Mighty!"

Elvis Presley - "Guitar Man (Remix)"

*Made his first record as "Little George Benson" in 1954.
**Recorded with Harvey & The Moonglows in 1959.
Roger Ford
2018-09-17 08:58:30 UTC
On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 22:37:27 -0700 (PDT), "Dean F."
Post by Dean F.
Marvin Gaye** - "Sexual Healing"
**Recorded with Harvey & The Moonglows in 1959.
Absolutely this would be my pick too

Plus "Let's Get It On" for the 70's

And his omission in the 60's record threads is about to be rectified

2018-09-17 09:26:16 UTC
On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 22:37:27 -0700 (PDT), "Dean F."
Post by Dean F.
Marvin Gaye** - "Sexual Healing"
**Recorded with Harvey & The Moonglows in 1959.
Absolutely this would be my pick too
The entire MIDNIGHT LOVE album is good.
I'm partial to "What's Going On," but your pick is a close second for me.
Bob Roman
2018-09-17 14:08:00 UTC
George Benson* - "Turn Your Love Around"
*Made his first record as "Little George Benson" in 1954.
Nice find. I did not know that.
Post by Dean F.
Little Richard - "Great Gosh A' Mighty!"
Your pick and mine were both part of a brief late-80s LR comeback effort. (Another, as I remember it, was a Taco Bell commercial.)

I still prefer mine.

Great Gosh A' Mighty

Rock Island Line

2018-09-18 01:09:02 UTC
"Great Gosh A' Mighty" came from the Nick Nolte/Bette Midler comedy film, "Down & Out In Beverly Hills."
Bob Roman
2018-09-18 02:18:48 UTC
"Great Gosh A' Mighty" came from the Nick Nolte/Bette Midler comedy film,
"Down & Out In Beverly Hills."
And Richard Dreyfuss.

2018-09-17 17:44:29 UTC
Post by Dean F.
George Benson* - "Turn Your Love Around"
*Made his first record as "Little George Benson" in 1954.
Wee Georgie's take on the then-current Ray Charles hit

"It Should Have Been Me #2" / "She Makes Me Mad" Groove 0024

(both sides)

Here's a couple of unreleased sides by him from the same time

2018-09-17 09:29:39 UTC
Thought of another one:

Big Jay McNeely - "Night Train"

Dean F.
2018-09-17 09:40:46 UTC
George Jones, "He Stopped Loving Her Today"
Willie Nelson, "On the Road Again"
RWC
2018-09-30 03:46:21 UTC
Willie Nelson, "On the Road Again"
Released 1980, recorded in the fall of 1979; from the soundtrack of the Columbia
film "Honeysuckle Rose":
- with superimposed lyrics

Unless it's just me, this quickly became one of the most recognizable recordings
of all time. A timeless, pleasing record. It won Willie Nelson a Grammy Award
for Best Country Song a year later. In 2004, Rolling Stone ranked it #471 on its
list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Road_Again_(Willie_Nelson_song) - includes
a WN singles discography 1957-2018

Following are some abridged excerpts from:
https://www.michigandaily.com/section/arts/road-again-and-again-and-again

The seminal “On the Road Again” was the version by the Memphis Jug Band, which
was recorded in 1928 [Victor 38015-B]. Characteristic of the Memphis Jug Band,
the sound resembles acoustic blues mixed with early folk {and is a precursor of
RAP}.
The song relates the plight of a man whose lover keeps cheating on him with
other men. The song is fun nevertheless, largely due to its keeping focus on the
carefree adventures of the cheating woman herself.
- and a bio for the band

The next notable “On the Road Again” came in 1965 from a different folk
figurehead, Bob Dylan. The narrator sings about a home that he finds
distasteful, with “fistfights in the kitchen”. It’s descriptive, accusatory and
deliciously spiteful. The song itself doesn't actually even use the phrase “on
the road again,” but it’s clear from the disdainful lyrics what the title phrase
is referring to: The narrator is abandoning a lifestyle and a group of people he
dislikes, back on the road to try to find something better.

Five years later, Canned Heat released their take on the phrase with a track of
softcore, paranoid rock {'you can almost small the weed burning'}. The 1970 “On
the Road Again” {from 1968 album 'Boogie'}, which Slackwax covered in 2012, is
full of bluesy repetitions. Like Dylan’s version, it’s a song about getting away
from one’s problems, mournful in the style of many blues songs but also tingling
with a kind of dark optimism.

- Slackwax (2012)

Ten years after that, Willie Nelson released perhaps the best-known “On the Road
Again,” a carousing country rock song full of all-too-classic road trip images,
like “makin’ music with my friends” and “goin’ places that I’ve never been.”
It’s free-spirited, both in its lyrics and in its merry personality. One of the
intriguing things about it is the group aspect. When Nelson sings, “Our way is
on the road again,” you feel like you’re included, like you’re one of a group of
people whose way is to keep going, always exploring, always seeking out
someplace new.

The most recent major “On the Road Again” is from 2015: a weird, electronic
psytrance instrumental from Israeli duo Infected Mushroom.

However, I’m going to close out this article with a slightly older iteration:
2005’s “On the Road Again” from hip-hop artist Sheek Louch. It’s a track full of
blistering confidence, from boasts about the artist himself to comparisons
between himself and other rappers (“I got a thousand songs like ’Pac and them”).
Superficially, the sound itself is distinct from some of the other songs I’ve
listed, but when you get right down to it, Sheek’s version, just like Nelson’s
and Dylan’s, is a song about personal progress, a song that says “full steam
ahead.”

Will Dockery
2018-10-23 21:13:38 UTC
Tony Ben
<Snipped>

Sad to see these has-beens trying to rock in the 80s. Sorry, boring.
Will Dockery
2018-10-23 21:19:28 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Bob Roman
Tony Ben
<Snipped>
Sad to see
That you are still a malicious, obsessed troll, forger?

"We know."
SavoyBG
2018-10-23 21:35:51 UTC
A has been is much better than a never was like yourself.
Will Dockery
2018-10-24 01:16:24 UTC
Bruce, that was not me you responded to, but was actually a forger.

:)
SavoyBG
2018-10-24 01:48:30 UTC
Probably Pendragon.
Will Dockery
2018-10-24 04:23:41 UTC
Don't be silly. Now allow me to spam your group with tons of my terrible YouTube performances and links to my ReverbNation page. I do that in every group until eventually everyone leaves.
Ken Whiton
2018-10-24 08:31:09 UTC
*-* On Tue, 23 Oct 2018, at 21:23:41 -0700 (PDT),
*-* In Article <2251cb04-2fda-4eb7-8144-***@googlegroups.com>,
*-* (the fake) Will Dockery wrote
*-* About Re: My favorite 1980s records by 1950s artists
Post by SavoyBG
Post by Will Dockery
Bruce, that was not me you responded to, but was actually a
forger.
:)
Probably Pendragon.
Don't be silly. ...
Country: Italy
State/Region: Calabria
City: Acri

FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: ***@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
Will Dockery
2018-10-24 10:27:29 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by SavoyBG
Post by Will Dockery
Bruce, that was not me you responded to, but was actually a forger.
:)
Probably Pendragon.
Don't be silly
Hard to get much sillier than a pathetic obsesso like you, so obsessed with me that you want to become me.

:)
z***@gmail.com
Silly is the volume of drama you bring to any group you join. The people here can see the shithole you made of alt.arts.poetry.comments
Will Dockery
2018-10-25 10:52:09 UTC
No, what the people here are seeing is a malicious, obsessive troll impostor forging my name and misrepresenting me and my thoughts.

😀
Will Dockery
No, we don't need people seeing that.
Will Dockery
2018-10-26 20:23:22 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
No, we don't need
<snip>

Re: Forgery notice

Tell you what... just mark the imposter as an imposter. Then let it go. We believe you. And when he wants you to interact with him, when he challenges you, don't. Just don't. That way you win. Respond and we all lose.

..
Will Dockery

Will Dockery
2018-10-27 16:22:09 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
No, we don't need
<snip>
Re: Forgery notice
Tell you what... just mark the imposter as an imposter. Then let it go. We believe you. And when he wants you to interact with him, when he challenges you, don't. Just don't. That way you win. Respond and we all lose.
..
Re: Forgery notice
Tell you
<snip>

Yes, me, not you, you forging impostor.

:)
b***@gmail.com
Will, stop. You've lost this battle. Just shut up as you've been told.
t***@iwvisp.com
2018-10-28 18:20:47 UTC
It’s times like these that I wonder if it would be better to have this group be Moderated, to easily rid ourselves of the Dockerys, Pendragons (of the past), and the Italian pedophile reporters, et al.

Then I envision Bruce at the Moderator and ...!
Mr. M
2018-10-28 19:30:13 UTC
Post by t***@iwvisp.com
It’s times like these that I wonder if it would be better to have this group be Moderated, to easily rid ourselves of the Dockerys, Pendragons (of the past), and the Italian pedophile reporters, et al.
Then I envision Bruce at the Moderator and ...!
just start a Facebook group, invite who you want, and appoint
a moderator. Then somebody can have the delete button.

Mr. M
SavoyBG
If we did that you'd be one of the first I would delete.
Mr. M
assuming I would ask to join.
xpenenyx
2018-10-30 17:00:53 UTC
Post by Mr. M
It’s times like these that I wonder if it would be better to have this group be Moderated, to easily rid ourselves of the Dockerys, Pendragons (of the past), and the Italian pedophile reporters, et al.
Then I envision Bruce at the Moderator and ...!
just start a Facebook group, invite who you want, and appoint
a moderator. Then somebody can have the delete button.
Mostly idiotic, socially retards use and post to facebook.
Mr. M
Mr. M
2018-10-30 18:11:51 UTC
It's great for posting old records
DianeE
2018-10-31 16:46:15 UTC
Post by xpenenyx
Post by Mr. M
Post by t***@iwvisp.com
It’s times like these that I wonder if it would be better to have this group be Moderated, to easily rid ourselves of the Dockerys, Pendragons (of the past), and the Italian pedophile reporters, et al.
Then I envision Bruce at the Moderator and ...!
just start a Facebook group, invite who you want, and appoint
a moderator. Then somebody can have the delete button.
Mostly idiotic, socially retards use and post to facebook.
------------
But you're on it, or did you delete your account?

I hate Facebook but there are some groups I belong to in real life that
conduct all their business on Facebook, so I have to maintain an
account. I don't use my real name, though. For what it's worth.

As Len Blanks said here a while ago, it's hard work being a product.
t***@iwvisp.com
2018-10-31 17:02:00 UTC
I hate Facebook but
I find more wrong with Facebook than right but maybe the combination of being from PA but living in CA, with 7 states in between on the years, I enjoy the benefit of reconnecting with friends and making a few new ones. For instance, Val Shively's wife Patty and I went to H S together. We reconnected after 45 years!

Ray
xpenenyx
2018-11-04 17:37:42 UTC
Post by t***@iwvisp.com
Post by DianeE
I hate Facebook but
I find more wrong with Facebook than right but maybe the combination of being from PA but living in CA, with 7 states in between on the years, I enjoy the benefit of reconnecting with friends and making a few new ones. For instance, Val Shively's wife Patty and I went to H S together. We reconnected after 45 years!
That can be done easily enough through classmates.com and/or similar
sites.
Ray
xpenenyx
2018-11-04 17:35:37 UTC
Post by xpenenyx
Post by Mr. M
It’s times like these that I wonder if it would be better to have this group be Moderated, to easily rid ourselves of the Dockerys, Pendragons (of the past), and the Italian pedophile reporters, et al.
Then I envision Bruce at the Moderator and ...!
just start a Facebook group, invite who you want, and appoint
a moderator. Then somebody can have the delete button.
Mostly idiotic, socially retards use and post to facebook.
------------
But you're on it, or did you delete your account?
Not really. It's there but I don't nor does anyone post to it..
SavoyBG
2018-10-28 19:30:37 UTC
Post by t***@iwvisp.com
It’s times like these that I wonder if it would be better to have this group be Moderated, to easily rid ourselves of the Dockerys, Pendragons (of the past), and the Italian pedophile reporters, et al.
Then I envision Bruce as the Moderator and ...!
LOL!!!

I am totally against any groups being moderated. In this current case with Dockery and those that followed him here, yes they are all zeroes, including Dockery. But it's not like there's a lot happening around here right now, so at least there are SOME new posts. A couple of the forger posts mocking Dockery have been amusing.
Will Dockery
2018-10-29 02:27:10 UTC
Post by t***@iwvisp.com
It’s times like these that I wonder if it would be better to have this group be Moderated, to easily rid ourselves of the Dockerys, Pendragons (of the past), and the Italian pedophile reporters, et al.
Then I envision Bruce as the Moderator and ...!
LOL!!!
I am totally against any groups being moderated. In this current case with Dockery and those that followed him here, yes they are all zeroes, including Dockery. But it's not like there's a lot happening around here right now, so at least there are SOME new posts. A couple of the forger posts mocking Dockery have been amusing.
I'm only here when I have something to say about 1950s music and related topics.

:)
Will Dockery
2018-10-29 10:45:01 UTC
Post by t***@iwvisp.com
It’s times like these that I wonder if it would be better to have this
group be Moderated, to easily rid ourselves of the Dockerys, Pendragons
(of the past), and the Italian pedophile reporters, et al.
Then I envision Bruce as the Moderator and ...!
LOL!!!

I am totally against any groups being moderated. In this current case with
Dockery and those that followed him here, yes they are all zeroes, including
Dockery. But it's not like there's a lot happening around here right now, so
at least there are SOME new posts. A couple of the forger posts mocking
Dockery have been amusing.

Exactly, it is only Usenet, after all.

:)
Will Dockery
2018-10-29 10:46:58 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
No, we don't need
<snip>
Re: Forgery notice
Tell you what... just mark the imposter as an imposter. Then let it
go. We believe you. And when he wants you to interact with him, when
he challenges you, don't. Just don't. That way you win. Respond and we
all lose.
..
Re: Forgery notice
Tell you
<snip>
Yes, me, not you, you forging impostor.
:)
Will, stop. You've lost this battle

Heh... so to you this is a "battle".

No wonder you're such an obsessed idiot...
Will Dockery
2018-10-24 17:57:06 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Bruce, that was not me you responded to, but was actually a forger.
:)
Probably Pendragon.
Possibly...

Pendragon does deny it... but (and there always seems to be one) Pen does insist his sockpuppets are independent entities and he also has an ally or two who could easily have stalked me over here to the 1950s music group, and forged posts, that has happened before.

:)