Lynn Evans, Chordettes, 95
2020-02-12 02:24:01 UTC
Lynn Evans Mand (nee Hargate), 95, of Elyria, died Thursday, February 6, 2020. She was born May 2, 1924 in Youngstown, where she was a 1942 graduate of Chaney High School. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University in 1946 with a B.A. in Education and received her Masters Degree in Special Education from Hofstra University in 1969.

For several years she worked as a case worker for the American Red Cross and also the Florence Critttenden Home in Youngstown. From 1952 to 1964, she was the lead singer with the quartet, The Chordettes and produced hits including Mr. Sandman, Lollipop, Eddie My Love, Just Between You and Me and Never On Sunday and were regulars on radio and TV. In 2001, The Chordettes were inducted into the Vocal Group Hall of Fame. Lynn then taught Special Education using her musical talents for 25 years in the Brentwood, Long Island, New York Public School System, retiring in 1989. In 1990, the Chordettes reunited and toured until 1995. Lynn was a member of St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, American Association of University Women and the Elyria Musical Arts Society.

Lynn is survived by a son, Robert Evans; daughter, Carolyn Evans; grandchildren, Robert Evans II, Sarah Velasquez, Lisa Rhodes and Hannah Gritman; six great-grandchildren and nieces and nephews including her caregiver, Joan VanWormer.
She was preceded in death by her husbands, Robert B. Evans in 1977 and The Reverend John L. Mand, Jr., in 1999; brothers, The Reverend G. Russel Hargate and The Reverend Arthur W. Hargate and a granddaughter, Carolyn Ruth VanNostrand.
A memorial service will be Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 6:30 p.m. in St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, 300 Third Street, Elyria with The Reverend June Hardy Dorsey officiating, assisted by The Reverend Brian K. Wilbert. Burial will be in Union Cemetery, Niles.

Memorial contributions may be made to Harmony Foundation ***@harmonyfoundation.org 866-706-802.
Roger Ford
2020-02-12 15:13:24 UTC
Lynn Evans Mand (nee Hargate), 95, of Elyria, died Thursday, February 6, 20=
20. She was born May 2, 1924 in Youngstown, where she was a 1942 graduate o=
f Chaney High School. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University in 1946 w=
ith a B.A. in Education and received her Masters Degree in Special Educatio=
n from Hofstra University in 1969.=20
For several years she worked as a case worker for the American Red Cross an=
d also the Florence Critttenden Home in Youngstown. From 1952 to 1964, she =
was the lead singer with the quartet, The Chordettes and produced hits incl=
uding Mr. Sandman, Lollipop, Eddie My Love, Just Between You and Me and Nev=
er On Sunday and were regulars on radio and TV.
I still like The Chordettes' "Lollipop" (so sue me!) and whats more I
like it BETTER than the original Ronald & Ruby version.

That one featured a 13 year old black kid (Ronald) duetting with the
19 year old white Beverly Ross (co-writer of the song) in the "Ruby"
part---which racial mixture when discovered was a no-no for radio play
on followup records and personal appearances in many areas soon ending
their duo career.

Here's that original version

2020-02-12 16:29:51 UTC
I still like The Chordettes' "Lollipop" (so sue me!)
I have Mr. Sandman backed with Lollipop on my jukebox.
SavoyBG
2020-02-12 16:56:08 UTC
Yes, those are far better than the rockabilly and blues records that you had to endure when you were voting in the Obscure Tournament.
Bill B
2020-02-12 18:58:55 UTC
I'm glad you agree. It's about time you came to your senses.
Steve Mc
2020-02-12 17:02:41 UTC
I still like The Chordettes' "Lollipop"
My granddaughter loves Lollipop:

In addition to this:

And this:

And of course this:

YourGoldenRetriever
2020-02-14 22:10:05 UTC
Post by t***@iwvisp.com
[...]
RIP..I've always loved the 'Dettes.FAR better than some of the rock at that time..hee hee.