1951 was a great year for music!
2006-11-07 03:34:33 UTC
Finally got around to putting my personal top 100 of 1951 on the computer
and am playing it now. I gotta say, between R&B, country and even some pop,
that was a truly great year for music!

So, here are the 1951 songs that I'm listening to:

1. MY REVERIE - The Larks
2. ROCKET 88 - Jackie Brenston & His Delta Cats
3. SIXTY MINUTE MAN - The Dominoes
4. MOANIN' AT MIDNIGHT - Howlin' Wolf
5. GLORY OF LOVE - The Five Keys
6. DO SOMETHING FOR ME - The Dominoes
7. BOOGIE-WOOGIE ON A SATURDAY NIGHT - Steve Gibson & The Red Caps
8. TRAIN KEPT A-ROLLIN' - Tiny Bradshaw
9. (I HEARD THAT) LONESOME WHISTLE - Hank Williams
10. BEE'S BOOGIE - Smiley Lewis
11. BLACK NIGHT - Charles Brown
12. LOVIN' MACHINE - Wynonie Harris
13. I'M IN THE MOOD - John Lee Hooker
14. ETERNALLY - The Swallows
15. COLD, COLD HEART - Hank Williams
16. HOW MANY MORE YEARS - Howlin' Wolf
17. (THERE'LL BE) PEACE IN THE VALLEY (FOR ME) - Red Foley
18. DO IT IF YOU WANNA - Sonny Boy Williamson
19. WEEPING WILLOW BLUES - The Dominoes
20. WHERE ARE YOU (NOW THAT I NEED YOU?) - The Mello-Moods

21. TABARIN - The Four Flames
22. MY BABY LEFT ME - Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup
23. HOW HIGH THE MOON - Les Paul & Mary Ford
24. STILL A FOOL - Muddy Waters
25. RED, RED WINE - Milton Buckner
26. SHINE ON (BIG BRIGHT MOON, SHINE ON) - Ruth Brown
27. DON'T YOU KNOW I LOVE YOU - The Clovers
28. I WILL WAIT - The Four Buddies
29. BLOODSHOT EYES - Wynonie Harris
30. DUST MY BROOM - Elmore James

31. JUICED - Jackie Brenston
32. FOOL, FOOL, FOOL - The Clovers
33. WHO'LL BE THE FOOL FROM NOW ON? - The Marshall Brothers
34. ALL NIGHT LONG - Johnny Otis
35. LEAVE MARRIED WOMEN ALONE - The Jimmy Cavallo Quartet
36. I MISS YOU SO - The Orioles
37. SHOULDN'T I KNOW - The Cardinals
38. IT AIN'T THE MEAT (IT'S THE MOTION) - The Swallows
39. I CAN'T HELP IT (IF I'M STILL IN LOVE WITH YOU) - Hank Williams
40. THE CHILL IS ON - Joe Turner

41. UNFORGETTABLE - Nat "King" Cole
42. THE WRONG YO-YO - Piano Red
43. WALK THAT MESS - Tiny Bradshaw
44. LEMON SQUEEZING DADDY - The Sultans
45. THE DEACON MOVES IN - Little Esther with The Dominoes
46. HEY, GOOD LOOKIN' - Hank Williams
47. BOOGIN' IN THE RAIN - Ivory Joe Hunter
48. HONEY BEE - Muddy Waters
49. SHOTGUN BOOGIE - Tennessee Ernie Ford
50. HUCKLEBUCK WITH JIMMY - The Five Keys

51. ONE MONKEY DON'T STOP NO SHOW - Sticks McGhee
52. CHAINS OF LOVE - Joe Turner
53. EVERY HOUR - Little Richard
54. BABY, WE'RE REALLY IN LOVE - Hank Williams
55. ROCKIN' CHAIR - Fats Domino
56. WILL YOU BE MINE? - The Swallows
57. I'M JUST A FOOL IN LOVE - The Orioles
58. WALK THAT CHALKLINE - Tiny Bradshaw
59. DIGGIN' THE BOOGIE - Piano Red
60. HEART AND SOUL - The Four Buddies

61. MOTHER EARTH - Memphis Slim
62. ROCK THE JOINT - The Jimmy Cavallo Quartet
63. TOO MUCH OF A LITTLE BIT - The Royales
64. ROCK-A-BYE BABY - Roy Brown
65. SKYLARK - The Clovers
66. LOUISIANA BLUES - Muddy Waters
67. I AM WITH YOU - The Dominoes
68. BIG TOWN - Roy Brown
69. MY SUMMER'S GONE - The Four Buddies
70. HEARTBREAKER - The Heartbreakers

71. ATLANTA BOOGIE - Tommy Brown
72. HOLD ME! SQUEEZE ME! - The Orioles
73. BAD, BAD WHISKEY - Amos Milburn
74. BABY, LET ME HOLD YOUR HAND - Ray Charles
75. OLD MacDONALD - The Five Keys
76. LOOKIN' FOR A MAN - Little Esther
77. THE HOUSE NEAR THE RAILROAD TRACK - Tommy Brown
78. I DON'T BELIEVE IN TOMORROW - The Larks
79. TOO YOUNG - Nat "King" Cole
80. MARIE - The Ravens

81. LONG DISTANCE CALL - Muddy Waters
82. PRETTY BABY BLUES - Tampa Red
83. HOWLIN' AT THE MOON - Hank Williams
84. IT'S LATER THAN YOU THINK - Roy Milton
85. TAXI BLUES - Little Richard
86. EYESIGHT TO THE BLIND - The Larks
87. DEAREST - The Swallows
88. LOOKING FOR A WOMAN - Jimmy McCracklin
89. FLAMINGO - Earl Bostic
90. I GOT LOADED - Peppermint Harris

91. TOO LATE BABY - The Five Keys
92. HOPEFULLY YOURS - The Larks
93. BABY, PLEASE DON'T GO - The Orioles
94. GO! GO! GO! - The Treniers
95. PRETTY BABY BLUES - The Cardinals
96. NO MORE LOVE - Ella Johnson
97. LET'S ROCK AWHILE - Amos Milburn
98. ROCK LITTLE BABY - Cecil Gant
99. I'LL ALWAYS LOVE YOU - The Cardinals
100. CRY - Johnnie Ray with the Four Lads

BUBBLING UNDER:

101. IN MY REAL GONE ROCKET - Jackie Brenston
102. T-99 BLUES - Jimmy Nelson
103. PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME - The Cardinals
104. HEY LITTLE GIRL - The Larks
Scarlotti
2006-11-07 03:59:24 UTC
My own lists have gone through some major revisions over the past
couple of months. And I agree that 51 is definitely a stellar musical
year.

1951: MY TOP 100
AIN'T MISBEHAVIN' - Frankie Laine
AND SO TO SLEEP AGAIN - Patti Page
ANGRY - Kay Starr
ANYTIME - Eddie Fisher
BECAUSE - Mario Lanza
BECAUSE OF YOU - Tony Bennett
A BEGGAR IN LOVE - Guy Mitchell
BELLE, BELLE, MY LIBERTY BELLE, Guy Mitchell
CAN'T HELP LOVIN' THAT MAN - Annette Warren (Soundtrack)
CHERRY PINK & APPLE BLOSSOM WHITE - Georgia Gibbs
COFFEE & CIGARETTES (THINKING IT OVER) - Johnnie Ray & The Four Lads
COLD, COLD HEART - Tony Bennett
CRY - Georgia Gibbs
CRY - Johnnie Ray & The Four Lads
CUDDLE UP A LITTLE CLOSER - Doris Day
DETOUR - Patti Page
DOMINO - Doris Day
DOWN IN THE VALLEY - The Andrews Sisters
DOWN THE TRAIL OF ACHIN' HEARTS - Patti Page
DOWN YONDER - Champ Butler
EVERY LITTLE MOVEMENT (HAS A MEANING ALL IT'S OWN) - Doris Day
FALLING IN LOVE WITH LOVE - Vaughn Monroe & Patrice Munsel with The
Metropolitan Opera
FLAMENCO - Frankie Laine
GAMBELLA (THE GAMBLIN' LADY) - Frankie Laine & Jo Stafford
THE GANG THAT SANG 'HEART OF MY HEART' - Frankie Laine
GET HAPPY - Frankie Laine
GET OUT THOSE OLD RECORDS - Guy Lombardo, Kenny Gardner & The Lombardo
Trio
THE GIRL IN THE WOOD - Frankie Laine
GIVE ME TIME - Johnnie Ray & The Four Lads
GOT HIM OFF MY HANDS (BUT CAN'T GET HIM OFF MY MIND) - Georgia Gibbs
HELLO, YOUNG LOVERS - Perry Como
(HERE AM I) BROKEN HEARTED - Johnnie Ray & The Four Lads
HEY, GOOD LOOKIN' - Frankie Laine & Jo Stafford
HONEST AND TRULY - The Ink Spots
HOW COULD YOU BELIEVE ME - Fred Astaire & Jane Powell (Soundtrack)
I GET IDEAS - Tony Martin
I GOT MY ARMS WIDE OPEN (AND MY LOVE READY) - Kay Starr
I WANT TO BE A COWBOY'S SWEETHEART - Patti Page
I WOULD DO MOST ANYTHING FOR YOU - Frankie Laine
I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS - Doris Day
I'M FOREVER BLOWING BUBBLES - Doris Day
I'M JUST A SHADOW OF MYSELF - Johnnie Ray
THE ISLE OF CAPRI - Frankie Laine
IT HAD TO BE YOU - Doris Day
IT IS NO SECRET - Bill Kenny & The Song Spinners
JEALOUSY (JALOUSIE) - Frankie Laine
JEZEBEL - Frankie Laine
A KISS TO BUILD A DREAM ON - Louis Armstrong
THE LADY DRINKS CHAMPAGNE - Johnnie Ray & The Four Lads
THE LITTLE WHITE CLOUD THAT CRIED - Johnnie Ray & The Four Lads
LOVE IS SUCH A CHEAT - Frankie Laine
THE LOVELIEST NIGHT OF THE YEAR - Mario Lanza
MAKE BELIEVE - Howard Keel & Kathryn Grayson (Soundtrack)
ME TOO (HO-HO! HA-HA!) - Kay Starr
METRO POLKA - Frankie Laine
MISTER AND MISSISSIPPI - Patti Page
MOCKIN' BIRD HILL - Patti Page
MOONLIGHT BAY - Doris Day
MOUNTAINS IN THE MOONLIGHT - Johnnie Ray & The Four Lads
MY BUDDY - Doris Day
MY TRULY, TRULY FAIR - Guy Mitchell
NECESSARY EVIL - Frankie Laine
OLD MAN RIVER - William Warfield (Soundtrack)
ON TOP OF OLD SMOKY - The Weavers & Terry Gilkyson
ONCE UPON A NICKEL - Georgia Gibbs
ONE FOR MY BABY - Frankie Laine
OUT IN THE COLD AGAIN - Johnnie Ray & The Four Lads
PATHS OF PARADISE - Johnnie Ray
PLEASE, MR. SUN - Johnnie Ray & The Four Lads
PRETTY-EYED BABY - Frankie Laine & Jo Stafford
ROSE, ROSE I LOVE YOU - Frankie Laine
SAN ANTONIO ROSE - Patti Page
(WHY DID I TELL YOU I WAS GOING TO) SHANGHAI - Doris Day
SHE DIDN'T SAY NOTHIN' AT ALL - Johnnie Ray
SHE REMINDS ME OF YOU - Frankie Laine
SONG OF THE ISLANDS - Frankie Laine
SOUND OFF (THE DUCKWORTH CHANT) - Vaughn Monroe
SPARROW IN THE TREETOP - Guy Mitchell
TELL ME - Doris Day
TELL ME WHY - Eddie Fisher
TELL THE LADY I SAID GOODBYE - Johnnie Ray
THAT'S THE ONE FOR ME - Frankie Laine & Jo Stafford
THAT'S HOW RHYTHM WAS BORN - Frankie Laine
TILL WE MEET AGAIN - Doris Day
TOMORROW MOUNTAIN - Frankie Laine
TOM'S TUNE - Georgia Gibbs
TOO YOUNG - Nat "King" Cole
TUMBLING TUMBLEWEEDS - Patti Page
TURN BACK THE HANDS OF TIME - Eddie Fisher
UNFORGETTABLE - Nat "King" Cole
UNLESS - Guy Mitchell
UNLESS - Eddie Fisher
WHAT COULD BE SWEETER? - Frankie Laine
WHEN IT'S SLEEPY TIME DOWN SOUTH - Frankie Laine
WHILE YOU DANCED, DANCED, DANCED (I WALKED IN WITH A SMILE) - Georgia
Gibbs
WHISKEY AND GIN - Johnnie Ray
WHO'S GONNA SHOE MY PRETTY LITTLE FEET - Patti Page
WONDERFUL, WASN'T IT - Frankie Laine
WOULD I LOVE YOU (LOVE YOU, LOVE YOU) - Patti Page
YOU LEFT ME OUT IN THE RAIN - Frankie Laine
sharx35
niall@removethisgreatgulfhomes.com
2006-11-07 11:04:53 UTC
25. RED, RED WINE - Milton Buckner
Is this the same tune as the the later huge hit for UB40 ?
Any chance you could post it ?

Thanks,

Niall

Now Playing - The Strangers - "Blue Flowers"
Roger Ford
2006-11-07 12:41:03 UTC
Post by ***@removethisgreatgulfhomes.com
Post by Dean F.
25. RED, RED WINE - Milton Buckner
Is this the same tune as the the later huge hit for UB40 ?
Not unless Neil Diamond was the most talented 10 year old songwriter
of 1951
Post by ***@removethisgreatgulfhomes.com
Any chance you could post it ?
It's a pretty decent R&B jumper!

I posted a copy of it it to the usual place

Here's a link to a site that has some info about the record

http://www.jazzdocumentation.ch/buckner/discography/buckner1.html

When you get to the bit about this particular record be sure you click
on the "letter" link that takes you to a copy of a very encouraging
missive sent by Herman Lubinsky of Savoy Records to Milt Buckner :)

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
niall@removethisgreatgulfhomes.com
2006-11-07 16:26:30 UTC
Not unless Neil Diamond was the most talented 10 year old songwriter
of 1951
Post by ***@removethisgreatgulfhomes.com
Any chance you could post it ?
It's a pretty decent R&B jumper!
I posted a copy of it it to the usual place
Thanks Roger. It's akeeper all right. Sounds like some of the musicians
were practising what they preached ..... lol

Niall
Now Playing - Kenny Martin - "Ask Me"

Palmateer
2006-11-07 13:14:16 UTC
Yes, 1951 was the start of a fantastic acceleration of blues-based rock 'n'
roll. Thanks, Dean.

Tom (the Palmateer)