Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - June - Cusp Edition (1960-1963) - Preliminary Round - Group 6
2019-06-04 18:42:16 UTC

Let Me In - Bo Diddley

First Time I Met The Blues - Buddy Guy

I Love You, I Love You So-O-O - Hank Ballard and the Midnighters

Ride This Train - The Gospelairs - Peacock

SavoyBG
2019-06-04 18:47:41 UTC

1. Ride This Train - The Gospelairs - 6
2. Let Me In - Bo Diddley - 6
3. First Time I Met The Blues - Buddy Guy - 5
4. I Love You, I Love You So-O-O - Hank Ballard and the Midnighters - 4

The Gospelaires edge Bo for the top spot. I never thought that Buddy Guy could sing. I have over 100 MP3s by the Royals-Hank Ballard-Midnighters and I don't file this one.
Roger Ford
2019-06-04 18:58:14 UTC
Let Me In - Bo Diddley - 7
Ride This Train - The Gospelairs - Peacock - 6
First Time I Met The Blues - Buddy Guy - 6
I Love You, I Love You So-O-O - Hank Ballard and the Midnighters - 5

2019-06-04 19:17:10 UTC
Let Me In - Bo Diddley - 7
One of the highspots of the "Bo Diddley In The Spotlight" LP in 1960.
Post by Roger Ford
Ride This Train - The Gospelairs - Peacock - 6
Good gospel from the Dayton Oh group fronted by Bob Washington
Post by Roger Ford
First Time I Met The Blues - Buddy Guy - 6
His first for Chess from 1960. There were a couple of earlier singles
on Artistic
Post by Roger Ford
I Love You, I Love You So-O-O - Hank Ballard and the Midnighters - 5
Forgettable flip of "Finger Poppin' Time" in 1960

2019-06-04 20:28:27 UTC
1. Ride This Train - The Gospelairs - Peacock
2. I Love You, I Love You So-O-O - Hank Ballard and the Midnighters
3. Let Me In - Bo Diddley
4. First Time I Met The Blues - Buddy Guy

-- Rick
Mark Dintenfass
2019-06-04 21:00:44 UTC
Let Me In - Bo Diddley
Ride This Train - The Gospelairs - Peacock
First Time I Met The Blues - Buddy Guy
I Love You, I Love You So-O-O - Hank Ballard and the Midnighters

There's very little Ballard don't like a lot, but not this one.
2019-06-04 21:16:55 UTC
1-Let Me In - Bo Diddley
2-I Love You, I Love You So-O-O - Hank Ballard and the Midnighters
3-Ride This Train - The Gospelairs - Peacock
4-First Time I Met The Blues - Buddy Guy

I have always said Buddy Guy is a great, great guitarist, but I can't
stand his singing voice. I don't know why but there it is. I believe
the original "traditional-style" version of this song, by the pianist
Little Brother Montgomery, is way better and worth a listen:

Steve Mc
2019-06-04 22:49:21 UTC
1-Ride This Train - The Gospelairs - Peacock

2-Let Me In - Bo Diddley

3-I Love You, I Love You So-O-O - Hank Ballard and the Midnighters

4-First Time I Met The Blues - Buddy Guy

#1 almost by default. The top 3 all have messy parts toward the end, and
the Midnighters background singing is terrible. And what Bruce and
Diane said about Buddy's voice.

2019-06-05 11:00:13 UTC
I find it hypnotic, just right for the record.
Dennis C
2019-06-04 21:55:12 UTC
Four ordinary entries here.

1- "First Time I Met the Blues" soso composition augmented by the talent of Buddy Guy.

2- "I Love you I love you So" Same impression as above with Hank Ballard doing the lifting out of the middling miasma!

3- "Let Me In" Diddley can't save this stinker. Where's the signature propulsive rhythm, baby?

4- "Ride this Train" I guess I'm going to Hell. Ain't ridin' that train!!
Bob Roman
2019-06-04 22:10:24 UTC
1. Gospelaires
2. Buddy Guy
3. Bo Diddley
4. Hank Ballard

2019-06-04 23:17:39 UTC
The Gospelaires
Hank Ballard
Buddy Guy
Bo Diddley
OleManRiver
2019-06-04 23:42:01 UTC
1. Let Me In - Bo Diddley
2. Ride This Train - The Gospelairs
Bill B
2019-06-05 10:06:16 UTC
1 I Love You, I Love You So-O-O - Hank Ballard and the Midnighters
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/YhXUhdIaMJE
2 Let Me In - Bo Diddley
http://youtu.be/huZmoDrTfEo
http://youtu.be/exK10kH9eV0
http://youtu.be/_-B8OZ78Wes
Jim Colegrove
2019-06-05 14:22:26 UTC
1. Ride This Train - The Gospelairs

2. Let Me In - Bo Diddley

SavoyBG
2019-06-05 18:18:26 UTC

1. Ride This Train - The Gospelairs - 38
2. Let Me In - Bo Diddley - 35
3. I Love You, I Love You So-O-O - Hank Ballard and the Midnighters - 25

4. First Time I Met The Blues - Buddy Guy - 22

Buddy Guy is out, The rest move on.