New Book on Fortune Records
2020-09-26 02:01:20 UTC
http://www.nortonrecords.com/kb-mind-over-matter-the-myths-mysteries-of-detroits-fortune-records-kicks-books/
Dean F.
2020-09-26 17:20:27 UTC
http://www.nortonrecords.com/kb-mind-over-matter-the-myths-mysteries-of-detroits-fortune-records-kicks-books/
Two years ago, I attended a rockabilly weekender at which Michael Hurtt gave a presentation on Fortune Records. He said he was writing a book on the label. Glad it's finally out!
Roger Ford
2020-09-26 17:30:48 UTC
http://www.nortonrecords.com/kb-mind-over-matter-the-myths-mysteries-of-detroits-fortune-records-kicks-books/
100 dollars a copy!!! Wow!!

2020-09-26 18:08:29 UTC
That's list price. $81.66 including shipping and tax.
SavoyBG
2020-09-26 20:10:09 UTC
576 pages
Dean F.
2020-09-28 05:58:19 UTC
576 pages
In his 2018 presentation. Michael Hurrt insisted that he would cover the label's full output, not just the R&B stuff. Clearly, he meant it!
RWC
2020-09-27 16:32:17 UTC
"Fortune was started in 1946 by the husband and wife team of Devora
and Jack Brown in Detroit Michigan. The most successful act for
Fortune was Nolan Strong and the Diablos. Devora wrote many of the
songs that appeared on the label and Jack Brown recorded the songs."

https://www.liquisearch.com/fortune_records
"Fortune specialized in R&B, blues, soul and doo-wop music, although
the label also released pop, big band, hillbilly, gospel, rock 'n'
roll, and even polka records."
"...original releases tapered off after 1972 aside from a few LPs in
the mid 1980s."
"Record collectors often find Fortune's numbering system confusing
because there were several series issued at once, and also because
some particular record numbers were used more than once.

"45 rpm pressings starting around catalog #165 in 1952"

(if you have a special interest in the Fortune artists 'The Five
Dollars/{Andre & the} Don Juans' then there are several additional
substantial paragraphs at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortune_Records )

https://www.detroitrocknrollmagazine.com/search/label/Fortune%20Records
A few snippets:
"The first songs cut in the new (11629 Linwood) Fortune Studio were
recorded on a Magnacord tape machine. In 1953, they purchased an Ampex
model 350 which was used to record all of the Fortune masters, until
the early sixties"
"Devora came to Detroit from Cleveland, Ohio and was introduced to
Jack Brown through a blind date set up by a friend. Devora {pianist}
was already writing poems and songs. Even though Jack was working as
an accountant at the time, he liked her songs and encouraged her to
send them to a few music publishers..."
"Unlike most record companies of the 50’s, Fortune Records had a sound
all of it’s own. You knew it was a Fortune Record without looking at
the label. Just like Motown in the 60’s."

http://www.westwoodmusicgroup.com/Fortune_Records/Fortune_Records.html
** this page has many playable (left-click) 90-second song snippets **

"In the beginning, they operated out of their home, then they rented a
place on Linwood Avenue in Detroit. Their first record was "Jane" by
Russ Titus. It was a hit in Detroit. The elusive national hit record
was "Jealous Love" by The Davis Sisters in 1952. Two years later
"Adios My Desert Love" and "The Wind" by Nolan Strong & The Diablos
was a triump in Black vocal group harmony."
"Fortune's biggest national Hit was "Village Of Love" by Nathaniel
Mayer. Released in May, 1962, the record reached #22 on the Billboard
Pop Chart."
*** "The Fortune Records catalog consists of 800 recordings from {c.}
1947 to 1972 on the Fortune, Hi-Q, Strate-8 and Blue Star labels ***.

Fortune Records - Discography - Singles - 100-series (1946-1957)
https://www.liquisearch.com/fortune_records/discography/singles/100-series

Fortune Records - Discography - Singles - 200-series (1957-1967+)
https://www.liquisearch.com/fortune_records/discography/singles/200-series

Fortune Records - Discography - Singles - 500-series (1954-1964)
https://www.liquisearch.com/fortune_records/discography/singles/500-series

Fortune Records - Discography - Singles - 800-series (1954-1965)
https://www.liquisearch.com/fortune_records/discography/singles/800-series

Alternatively, a Fortune singles discography on just one,
Wangdangdula, web page: https://wdd.mbnet.fi/fortune.htm

Fortune Records - Discography - Albums
https://www.bsnpubs.com/detroit/fortune.html

(Fortune Records) Hi-Q label - Singles (c.1957-1967)
https://www.liquisearch.com/fortune_records/discography/other_labels/hi-q_records_-_singles

(Fortune Records) Strate-8 label - Singles (1959-1970)
http://www.45cat.com/label/strate-8

https://www.amazon.com/Dirty-Boogie-Fortune-Records-Various/dp/B00HYGTW2U
"Fortune Records is the great secret record company in the history of
Detroit rock n roll. Their signature sound of raw vocals and simple
instrumental arrangements contrasted with the polished sound of their
Motown neighbours."
Read the first customer review by a 'charles a.'

The tracks for the above discontinued 2014 3-cd compilation (that
presumably include Fortune's 'best' tracks) are nicely listed here:
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Dirty-Boogie-The-Fortune-Records-Story/release/8285190

during my research on the Fortune label, I came across a bio for Andre
Williams, which concluded with a 2019 link to a compilation of 27 of
his recordings - a 'slow' link, but it still works! If interested,
this is the web page:
https://fromthevaults-boppinbob.blogspot.com/2019/11/andre-williams-born-1-november-1936.html

You might like to peruse the Archive at the bottom of the page
(expanding each month) to see if there are any other artists that take
your fancy :-)
Dean F.
2020-10-05 07:54:20 UTC
I just ordered a copy and will dutifully report on the book once I've had a chance to look it over.
Dean F.
2020-12-31 02:23:43 UTC
On Friday, September 25, 2020 at 10:01:21 PM UTC-4, ***@aol.com wrote:

I'm currently 428 pages in and have learned a lot -- not only about Fortune Records, but about the Detroit music scene of the '40s, '50s and '60s. I knew there was a lot more to it than Motown, but wow! I had never paid $75 for a book before, but MIND OVER MATTER is worth every penny.

I plan to air a Fortune Records tribute on Thursday, January 7th, from 5:00 - 7:30 p.m. EST at http://wrtcfm.com/. The show will be archived at the same link for two weeks after.
Roger Ford
2020-12-31 07:34:44 UTC
On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 18:23:43 -0800 (PST), "Dean F."
I'm currently 428 pages in and have learned a lot -- not only about Fortune=
Records, but about the Detroit music scene of the '40s, '50s and '60s. I k=
new there was a lot more to it than Motown, but wow! I had never paid $75 f=
or a book before, but MIND OVER MATTER is worth every penny.
I plan to air a Fortune Records tribute on Thursday, January 7th, from 5:00=
- 7:30 p.m. EST at http://wrtcfm.com/. The show will be archived at the sa=
me link for two weeks after.
Oh goody a subject we can agree on :)

No sign of the book over here yet (importing from the US will cost a
...um....fortune----so I guess I'll have to wait)

Meantime if you're looking for suggestions for your show here's just a
few of my favorite Fortune recordings outside of the obvious Diablos
etc biggies

Dell Vaughn - Rock The Universe - 1958

Eddie Stapleton - Well I'm Weak - 1964 (!)

Joe Weaver & Don Juans - Baby I Love You So - 1955

Doctor Ross & Orbits - Cat Squirrel - 1961

and on Hi-Q.........

Farris Wilder - It's All Your Fault - 1957

James Walton & Blues Kings - Miss Jessie James - 1963

Thanks Devora for the kindness and hospitality --and patience---you
showed a couple of over-inquisitive English record collectors back in
'68

Good luck with the show Dean...I'll be tuned in!

2020-12-31 10:40:43 UTC
Good luck with the show Dean...I'll be tuned in!
If you're interested, today from 5:00-7:30 p.m. EST I'll be hosting a tribute to Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller (at the same link).
Sav...@aol.com
2020-12-31 14:51:29 UTC
Only if you're featuring "Is That All There Is" and "Bazoom" by the Cheers.
Roger Ford
2021-01-01 14:04:25 UTC
On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 18:23:43 -0800 (PST), "Dean F."
I'm currently 428 pages in and have learned a lot -- not only about Fortune=
Records, but about the Detroit music scene of the '40s, '50s and '60s. I k=
new there was a lot more to it than Motown, but wow! I had never paid $75 f=
or a book before, but MIND OVER MATTER is worth every penny.
No sign of the book over here yet (importing from the US will cost a
...um....fortune----so I guess I'll have to wait)
It has now arrived over here as per this London ad for the book but is
already out of stock even at a ,massive 115GBP UK price (roughly 157
USD)

2021-01-01 14:05:41 UTC
On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 18:23:43 -0800 (PST), "Dean F."
I'm currently 428 pages in and have learned a lot -- not only about Fortune=
Records, but about the Detroit music scene of the '40s, '50s and '60s. I k=
new there was a lot more to it than Motown, but wow! I had never paid $75 f=
or a book before, but MIND OVER MATTER is worth every penny.
No sign of the book over here yet (importing from the US will cost a
...um....fortune----so I guess I'll have to wait)
It has now arrived over here as per this London ad for the book but is
already out of stock even at a ,massive 115GBP UK price (roughly 157
USD)
Oops!!

https://www.nohitrecords.co.uk/product/book-mind-over-matter-the-myths-and-mysteries-of-detroits-fortune-records-kicks/

2021-01-08 06:44:39 UTC
I did my Fortune radio tribute yesterday. It's archived at this link until January 21st:

http://wrtc.streamrewind.com/bookmarks/listen/311866/soul-rock-freeform-with-farrell
Sav...@aol.com
2021-01-08 16:15:49 UTC
http://wrtc.streamrewind.com/bookmarks/listen/311866/soul-rock-freeform-with-farrell
According to the 45 "Movin'" is by Andre Williams and Gino Parks with the Diablos, not the Five Dollars.

Roger Ford
2021-01-08 17:08:47 UTC
http://wrtc.streamrewind.com/bookmarks/listen/311866/soul-rock-freeform-with-farrell
According to the 45 "Movin'" is by Andre Williams and Gino Parks with the Diablos, not the Five Dollars.
http://youtu.be/cG9GxswbbLk
The "A" side of the single that you refer to has the full title
"(Georgia May Is) Movin' " and is indeed by Andre with Gino Parks &
The Diablos

However the flip (the one Dean played and the side I like best too) is
fully titled "(Andre Williams Is) Movin'" and that is the one---as
Dean rightly said---that's by Andre and The Five Dollars

2021-01-18 17:51:16 UTC
http://wrtc.streamrewind.com/bookmarks/listen/311866/soul-rock-freeform-with-farrell
According to the 45 "Movin'" is by Andre Williams and Gino Parks with the Diablos, not the Five Dollars.
http://youtu.be/cG9GxswbbLk
The "A" side of the single that you refer to has the full title
"(Georgia May Is) Movin' " and is indeed by Andre with Gino Parks &
The Diablos
However the flip (the one Dean played and the side I like best too) is
fully titled "(Andre Williams Is) Movin'" and that is the one---as
Dean rightly said---that's by Andre and The Five Dollars
According to the book "Mind Over Matter" by Bill Miller and Michael
Hurtt, published by Kicks Books this past year, it states starting on
page153 that Andre is lead on the "Andre Williams" side and Gino is
lead on the "Georgia May" side. "The label credited the Five Dollars
on one side and the Diablos on the flip, though neither group was
actually involved."

This book is very interesting.
Jim Colegrove
2021-01-18 17:59:56 UTC
On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 11:51:16 -0600, Jim Colegrove
[...]
Of course, the "Georgia May" side is obviously a duet of both singers.
And I like the "(Andre Williams Is) Movin'" side is the one I like
better.
Dean F.
2021-01-19 02:12:42 UTC
If anyone's interested, here's what I played on my recent Fortune Records radio special. My one regret is that I forgot to play Gino Parks.

1. (M-M-M-M Andre Williams Is) M-M-MOVIN’, Andre Williams & The Five Dollars (1960)

2. CAT SQUIRREL, Dr. Ross & The Orbits (1961)
3. I NEED YOU BABY, Eddie Kirkland (1959)
4. HONEY WON’T YOU LOVE ME, Jimmy Gartin (1959)

5. THE WIND, The Diablos (1954)
6. SEPTEMBER IN THE RAIN, The Royal Jokers (1957)
7. HELP MURDER POLICE, The Hi-Fidelities (1957)

8. BIG CHIEF YODEL, Big Chief Redbird (1955)
9. ROSE OF TANGIER, The Four Kings (1955)
10. BUGGIN’ BABY, George Young (1957)

11. WEDDING BELLS, OH WEDDING BELLS, The Swans (1954)
12. YOU ARE, The Diablos (1956)
13. BACON FAT, Andre Williams (1957)

14. HONEY LET’S GO (To a Rock ‘N’ Roll Show), Johnny Powers (1957)
15. DESTRUCTION, The Catalinas (1959)
16. BIG FINE WOMAN, John Lee Hooker (1960)

17. SO STRANGE, The Five Dollars (1956)
18. BABY, I LOVE YOU SO, Joe Weaver & The Don Juans (1955)
19. VILLAGE OF LOVE, Nathaniel Mayer & The Fabulous Twilights (1962)

20. HEY MR. PRESLEY, Pete DeBree & The Wanderers (1958)
21. BABY SITTER I LOVE YOU, The Del Victors (1962)
22. LA BOMBA [sic], Tony Valla & The Alamos (1961)

23. THE WAY YOU DOG ME AROUND, The Diablos (19556)
24. SHAKIN’ SHELLY, George Young (1957)
25. (Why Don’t You) LOVE ME, The Delteens (1961)

26. DRUNK DRIVER’S COMING, The Richard Brothers (1958)
27. ROCKIN’ THE BLUES, Don Rader (1959)
28. GOLDEN ANGEL, The Montclairs (1957)

29. PLAYBOY, Melvin Davis (1963)
30. FROGGY WENT A-COURTIN’, Kenny Layne (1958)
31. (Miss Sadie Mae) CURL MY BABY’S HAIR, John Lee Hooker (1958)

32. DARLING BE MINE, The Earthquakes (1959)
33. ROCK THE UNIVERSE, Dell Vaughn & The Fortune Aires (1958)
34. JAIL BAIT, Andre Williams (1957)

35. I DON’T LIKE YOU THAT MUCH, The Royal Jokers (1957)
36. CANNONBALL, Doctor Ross (1962)
37. MIND OVER MATTER, Nolan Strong (1962)

38. YELLOW MOON, The Five Dollars (1958)
39. TOUGH CAT, The Ferros A/K/A Nick & The Jaguars (1959)
40. I MUST HAVE DONE SOMEBODY WRONG, Eddie Kirkland (1959)

41. WEAR MY RING, The Creators (1961)
42. BLUE STROLL, Jim Myers & His Gems with the Montclairs (1960)
43. GREASY CHICKEN, Andre Williams (1958)

44. TAKE MY HAND, The Centurys (1959)
45. JANE, WHY DID YOU DO IT, Tony Valla & The Alamos (1961)
46. THIS IS A MIRACLE, Floyd Smith & The Montclairs (1961)

47. SHEDDIN’ TEARS OVER YOU, Shorty Frog & His Space Cadets (1957)
48. ROCKIN’ THE BLUES, Don Rader (1959)
49. GOING DOWN TO TIJUANA, The Five Dollars (1955)

50. SHAM-ROCK, The Tempos (1958)
51. HI HO LITTLE GIRL, The Terrigan Brothers (1958)
52. GONNA RIDE THAT SATELLITE, Jimmy Gartin & The Highlanders (1958)
53. MY LAST DANCE WITH YOU, Nathaniel Mayer & The Fabulous Twilights (1961)
Sav...@aol.com
2020-12-31 19:10:55 UTC
Where did you get it for $75?
Dean F.
2020-12-31 19:29:28 UTC
Where did you get it for $75?
Directly from Norton Records' website. Along with the cover price, there was also a $10 charge for postage.

However, I just re-checked the label's site. The price has gone up to $100. Looks like I acted in the nick of time!
bbug
2020-12-31 23:06:49 UTC
Where did you get it for $75?
Directly from Norton Records' website. Along with the cover price, there was also a $10 charge for postage.
However, I just re-checked the label's site. The price has gone up to $100. Looks like I acted in the nick of time!
A google search for Norton Records coupons turned up a 20% coupon with no shipping or taxes, but it expires tonight.