Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - July - Prelims - Group 3
2019-07-05 00:36:32 UTC

Don't Be Gone Long - Bob Doss

My Lovin’ Baby - Charlie & Ray

She Made My Blood Run Cold - Ike Turner

Pink Cadillac - Sammy Masters

SavoyBG
2019-07-05 00:44:25 UTC

1. Don't Be Gone Long - Bob Doss - 9
2. Pink Cadillac - Sammy Masters - 6
3. She Made My Blood Run Cold - Ike Turner - 6
4. My Lovin’ Baby - Charlie & Ray - 5
Steve Mc
2019-07-05 01:22:45 UTC
1. My Lovin’ Baby - Charlie & Ray - 5

2. Don't Be Gone Long - Bob Doss - 9

3. Pink Cadillac - Sammy Masters - 6

4. She Made My Blood Run Cold - Ike Turner - 6

2019-07-05 01:19:29 UTC
Sammy masters
Bob doss
Charlie & Ray
Ike turner
Rick Schubert
2019-07-05 03:39:49 UTC
1. My Lovin’ Baby - Charlie & Ray
2. Don't Be Gone Long - Bob Doss
3. She Made My Blood Run Cold - Ike Turner
4. Pink Cadillac - Sammy Masters
Roger Ford
2019-07-05 04:12:30 UTC
Don't Be Gone Long - Bob Doss - 8
Pink Cadillac - Sammy Masters - 7
She Made My Blood Run Cold - Ike Turner -7
My Lovin' Baby - Charlie & Ray - 6

2019-07-05 04:59:30 UTC
Don't Be Gone Long - Bob Doss - 8
Heavily booted ca. 1972 this was a huge seller at the time at rock 'n
roll oldies locations (including ours) on this side of the pond. My
notes say this guy only made two records and waited till 1961 for his
second- as "Bobby Doss" on the Lynn label in Texas---the "Wear My Ring
Around Your Neck"-like "I've Got You (Where I Want You)" in 1961

Post by Roger Ford
Pink Cadillac - Sammy Masters - 7
Decent rockabilly from the guy whose biggest selling record was
recorded in 1959 --the "Running Bear"-ish "Rockin' Red Wing" waxed
for Terry Fell's Lode label (and leased to Warner Bros)

But in 1956 Masters was recording for the notorious Smiling Bill
McCall at 4-Star where he cut his best rockabilly effort. Unbeknown to
Masters.ever-the-hustler McCall (who Johnny Cash had a memorable dig
at in song) made an under-the-counter deal with Modern Records who
then put out their "Johnny Todd" version of "Pink Cadillac" which was
simply the Masters 4-Star master with overdubbed snare drum.

Both versions however blew away the dire Rusty Draper cover on Mercury
Post by Roger Ford
She Made My Blood Run Cold - Ike Turner -7
With a vocal from Clayton Love this appeared on Federal in 1957 and
was reissued later in 1961 on the main King label to muscle in on the
then-current success of Ike & Tina's Sue hits
Post by Roger Ford
My Lovin' Baby - Charlie & Ray - 6
I know these guys are fairly popular in some quarters here but I never
really warmed to them that much. This just scrapes a 6 (can't see it
making my 1955 Top 1000 when I get to it) but even their "I Love You
Madly" hit doesn't grab me much more

2019-07-05 10:57:20 UTC
She Made My Blood Run Cold - Ike Turner -7
With a vocal from Clayton Love this appeared on Federal in 1957 and
was reissued later in 1961 on the main King label to muscle in on the
then-current success of Ike & Tina's Sue hits
-------------
In fact I was going to nominate it for the cusp years contest, until I
looked for a youtube link and discovered it had originally been released
in 1957!
Bill B
2019-07-05 10:19:00 UTC
1 My Lovin’ Baby - Charlie & Ray
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/C9iuf5E_Yeo
2 Pink Cadillac - Sammy Masters
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/moHfJZf463M
3 Don't Be Gone Long - Bob Doss
http://youtu.be/FIPXdL2tpQk
http://youtu.be/VsmvuVCQG-Q
OleManRiver
2019-07-05 11:05:24 UTC
1. She Made My Blood Run Cold - Ike Turner
2. Pink Cadillac  - Sammy Masters
3. Don't Be Gone Long - Bob Doss
4. My Lovin’ Baby - Charlie & Ray
DianeE
2019-07-05 11:59:58 UTC
1-She Made My Blood Run Cold - Ike Turner
2-Don't Be Gone Long - Bob Doss -- Now this is the kind of rockabilly I
like!

Big gap....

3-Pink Cadillac - Sammy Masters -- This isn't.
4-My Lovin’ Baby - Charlie & Ray
Dennis C
2019-07-05 13:27:09 UTC
* Rockabilly Rules, baby!!

1- "Don't Be Gone Long" Who the hell is Bob Doss??!! Well he certainly lays down a poppingly panting paean to prurience here, baby!!

2- "Pink Cadillac"- Clean slap-happy redneck rhapsody!! I can smell the drive in popcorn just listening!!

3- "She Makes My Blood Run Cold"- Don't know eho "she" was but Ike's later muse made his " fists fly hot", baby!!

4- "My Lovin Baby"- Sure this isn't Theresa Brewer and Ray? I guess it's that gene deficiency of mine. Okay record but that terminally cute phrasing on "so" is just sooooOooo insufferable!!
SavoyBG
2019-07-05 13:53:55 UTC
* Rockabilly Rules, baby!!
1- "Don't Be Gone Long" Who the hell is Bob Doss??!! Well he certainly lays down a poppingly panting paean to prurience here, baby!!
2- "Pink Cadillac"- Clean slap-happy redneck rhapsody!! I can smell the drive in popcorn just listening!!
3- "She Makes My Blood Run Cold"- Don't know eho "she" was but Ike's later muse made his " fists fly hot", baby!!
4- "My Lovin Baby"- Sure this isn't Theresa Brewer and Ray?
May as well be, Charlie & Ray were fanooks who were together.

I think this is the first time that me and Dennis agreed on the rankings.
SavoyBG
2019-07-05 13:55:31 UTC
Just need Jim's ballot to wrap this group up.
Jim Colegrove
2019-07-05 14:12:02 UTC
1. Pink Cadillac - Sammy Masters

2. Don't Be Gone Long - Bob Doss

3. She Made My Blood Run Cold - Ike Turner

4. My Lovin’ Baby - Charlie & Ray
SavoyBG
2019-07-05 15:11:15 UTC

1. Don't Be Gone Long - Bob Doss - 31
2. Pink Cadillac - Sammy Masters - 28

3. She Made My Blood Run Cold - Ike Turner - 21
4. My Lovin’ Baby - Charlie & Ray - 20

Charlie and Ray are out now and I'm listing the Ike Turner with it as it's extremely likely that it will be out too with just 21 points. The 2 rockabilly items will advance.