Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - April - Round 2 - Group 3
2019-04-15 12:55:10 UTC

Bring My Baby Back - Bill "Bass" Gordon & Colonials

You Move Me, Baby! - Otis Blackwell

Always Be Faithful - Monarchs

Right Around The Corner - The '5' Royales

SavoyBG
2019-04-15 12:58:30 UTC

1. Always Be Faithful - Monarchs
2. Right Around The Corner - The '5' Royales
3. You Move Me, Baby! - Otis Blackwell
4. Bring My Baby Back - Bill "Bass" Gordon & Colonials
Bob Roman
2019-04-15 13:03:36 UTC
1. Royales
2. Monarchs
3. Blackwell
4. "Bass"

2019-04-15 13:21:25 UTC
1- The Monarchs

2- Bill "Bass" Gordon

3- 5 Royales

4- Otis Blackwell
Jim Colegrove
2019-04-15 13:20:04 UTC
1. Right Around The Corner - The '5' Royales

2. Always Be Faithful - Monarchs

OleManRiver
2019-04-15 13:47:36 UTC
Steve Mc
2019-04-15 14:29:04 UTC
Real close for 2 & 3 for me.

1. Right Around The Corner - The '5' Royales

2. You Move Me, Baby! - Otis Blackwell

3. Always Be Faithful - Monarchs

4. Bring My Baby Back - Bill "Bass" Gordon & Colonials

2019-04-15 14:07:02 UTC
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/w0aeHwJ9sPU
2 Always Be Faithful - Monarchs
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/IPwRToQTQPE
3 Bring My Baby Back - Bill "Bass" Gordon & Colonials
http://youtu.be/grmgvyjnFG0
4 You Move Me, Baby! - Otis Blackwell
http://youtu.be/zAlCmZLt0cI
Roger Ford

2019-04-15 14:43:36 UTC
1. Always Be Faithful - Monarchs
2. Bring My Baby Back - Bill "Bass" Gordon & Colonials
3. Right Around The Corner - The '5' Royales
4. You Move Me, Baby! - Otis Blackwell
DianeE
2019-04-15 18:19:43 UTC
4-Always Be Faithful - Monarchs
SavoyBG
2019-04-15 18:41:51 UTC

1-Right Around The Corner - The '5' Royales - 34
2-Always Be Faithful - Monarchs - 31

3-Bring My Baby Back - Bill "Bass" Gordon & Colonials - 18
4-You Move Me, Baby! - Otis Blackwell - 17

The 5 Royales and Monarchs advance to the ELITE EIGHT. Bill and Otis are done.

I'll open Group 4 tonight when I get back from my game.
RWC
2019-04-16 00:44:18 UTC
1-Right Around The Corner - The '5' Royales
Frantic, baby!
I suppose you dislike the other three records even more.
DianeE
2019-04-16 02:19:42 UTC
1-Right Around The Corner - The '5' Royales
Frantic, baby!
-----------
It is certainly not frantic, unless to you "frantic" means something
other than "loud, fast, and out of control." Fast alone is not frantic.

The only frantic record I like is "Rock Around The Clock" by the Sex
Pistols.
Post by DianeE
2-Bring My Baby Back - Bill "Bass" Gordon & Colonials
3-You Move Me, Baby! - Otis Blackwell
4-Always Be Faithful - Monarchs
-------------
I had never heard any of them before. I don't like the Monarchs record,
which is not surprising because I never liked their hit record (in NYC
at least) "Pretty Little Girl." I liked the Gordon and Blackwell
records enough to download and keep them.
RWC
2019-04-16 03:08:32 UTC
1-Right Around The Corner - The '5' Royales
Frantic, baby!
-----------
It is certainly not frantic, unless to you "frantic" means something
other than "loud, fast, and out of control."
Fast alone is not frantic.
Now she tells us.

Anyway, the Dixon record "Real Lovin' Mama" is *not* louder, more out of
control, or even faster than the *rougher* sounding "Right Around The Corner ",
in fact "Real Lovin' Mama" is smoother, more solid, and mellow in comparison, it
even comes across as less 'frantic'. They both have a welcome sax break.

http://youtu.be/w0aeHwJ9sPU - Royales
- Dixon

I rest my case, your honor
DianeE
2019-04-16 23:45:39 UTC
1-Right Around The Corner - The '5' Royales
Frantic, baby!
-----------
It is certainly not frantic, unless to you "frantic" means something
other than "loud, fast, and out of control."
Fast alone is not frantic.
Now she tells us.
-------------fran·tic
/ˈfran(t)ik/
adjective
1-wild or distraught with fear, anxiety, or other emotion.
2-conducted in a hurried, excited, and chaotic way, typically because of
the need to act quickly.

NOT. JUST. FAST.
---------------
Post by RWC
Anyway, the Dixon record "Real Lovin' Mama" is *not* louder, more out of
control, or even faster than the *rougher* sounding "Right Around The Corner ",
-----------------
WRONG! "Right Around The Corner" is 135 beats per minute; "Real Lovin'
Mama" is *180* beats per minute.
--------------
Post by RWC
in fact "Real Lovin' Mama" is smoother, more solid, and mellow in comparison, it
even comes across as less 'frantic'. They both have a welcome sax break.
-------------
That is not the way I hear it at all.

Mark Dintenfass
2019-04-16 00:26:04 UTC
Right Around The Corner - The '5' Royales
Always Be Faithful - Monarchs
Bring My Baby Back - Bill "Bass" Gordon & Colonials
You Move Me, Baby! - Otis Blackwell
Sorry, Dinty, somehow I miscounted and thought everyone had voted. Doesn't change anything though, just the point totals.

FINAL RANKINGS

1-Right Around The Corner - The '5' Royales - 38
2-Always Be Faithful - Monarchs - 34

3-Bring My Baby Back - Bill "Bass" Gordon & Colonials - 20
4-You Move Me, Baby! - Otis Blackwell - 18
Mark Dintenfass
2019-04-16 03:06:28 UTC
Right Around The Corner - The '5' Royales
Always Be Faithful - Monarchs
Bring My Baby Back - Bill "Bass" Gordon & Colonials
You Move Me, Baby! - Otis Blackwell
Sorry, Dinty, somehow I miscounted and thought everyone had voted. Doesn't
change anything though, just the point totals.
FINAL RANKINGS
1-Right Around The Corner - The '5' Royales - 38
2-Always Be Faithful - Monarchs - 34
3-Bring My Baby Back - Bill "Bass" Gordon & Colonials - 20
4-You Move Me, Baby! - Otis Blackwell - 18
I think this is the first time my choices coincided completely with the
group's.