Why is this?
2018-11-01 07:54:06 UTC
In my Free Agent news browser the current Ricky Nelson thread comes up
with a most peculiar header :-

?UTF followed by a long line of utter random gobbledegook mostly in
upper case and numerals

All previous headers have come up normal. It's just this one

Does Free Agent not like Ricky Nelson?

2018-11-02 09:05:29 UTC
*-* On Thu, 01 Nov 2018, at 07:54:06 GMT,
*-* In Article <***@news.virginmedia.com>,
*-* Roger Ford wrote
*-* About Why is this?
Post by Roger Ford
In my Free Agent news browser the current Ricky Nelson thread comes
up with a most peculiar header :-
?UTF followed by a long line of utter random gobbledegook mostly in
upper case and numerals
All previous headers have come up normal. It's just this one
Does Free Agent not like Ricky Nelson?
It's not that, it's just that Free Agent doesn't support the
UTF-8 character set that particular thread uses. I see the same thing
in Xnews, which also doesn't support UTF-8, but the thread looks
normal in Thunderbird, which does support UTF-8.

FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: ***@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
Roger Ford
2018-11-02 15:15:19 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
In my Free Agent news browser the current Ricky Nelson thread comes
up with a most peculiar header :-
?UTF followed by a long line of utter random gobbledegook mostly in
upper case and numerals
All previous headers have come up normal. It's just this one
Does Free Agent not like Ricky Nelson?
It's not that, it's just that Free Agent doesn't support the
UTF-8 character set that particular thread uses. I see the same thing
in Xnews, which also doesn't support UTF-8, but the thread looks
normal in Thunderbird, which does support UTF-8.
Ok gotcha. Gracias,Ken!

2018-11-04 03:50:50 UTC
Post by Ken Whiton
It's not that, it's just that Free Agent doesn't support the
UTF-8 character set that particular thread uses.
You mean version 1.11 of Free Agent doesn't support UTF-8 :-)

Agent (not Free Agent) is currently v.8 build 1178
(v.8 was released Oct 2014)

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/ describes features

Agent version release dates (from v1.8, Aug 2001 onwards):
http://www.forteinc.com/release/

Agent was born in 1995.

Forte's 2 primary products, Agent 8 and Agent Usenet, pricing:
(Agent Usenet: 10 years binary retention, 15 years text)
http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php