Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - May Preliminary Round - Group 10
2019-05-09 15:20:34 UTC

No Money - The Blue Diamonds

Right Now - Five Vets

I'll Always Be In Love With You - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens

Carry On - Jerry Byrne - 1959

Bob Roman
2019-05-09 15:43:45 UTC
1. Byrne
2. Blue D's
3. Ravens
4. Vets

2019-05-09 16:33:09 UTC
1- "Carry On"- Hey!! Larry Williams must have called un sick that day! Mr. Byrne acquits himself admirably! Dr. John erote it snd that can't hurt, baby!!

2- "Right Now"- Great vocals. My only quibble is the melodic resolution on the title line. Should have taken another direction in an otherwise fine song!

3- "I'll always be in love with you"- Having your bass sing lead is like Art Donovan filling in for Johnny Unitas.
Very polished song...almost to a fault.

4- "No Money" At least the Blue Diamonds make good almonds, baby!!
Nice tempo but overall a cacophonous crash. Guitar player was reading from Mel Bay.
Jim Colegrove
2019-05-09 17:00:22 UTC
1. Carry On - Jerry Byrne - 1959

2. Right Now - Five Vets

3. No Money - The Blue Diamonds

4. I'll Always Be In Love With You - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens
Rick Schubert
2019-05-09 17:06:15 UTC
1. I'll Always Be In Love With You - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens
2. Right Now - Five Vets
3. No Money - The Blue Diamonds
4. Carry On - Jerry Byrne - 1959
Steve Mc
2019-05-09 17:33:27 UTC
1. No Money - The Blue Diamonds

2. Carry On - Jerry Byrne

3. Right Now - Five Vets

4. I'll Always Be In Love With You - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens

2019-05-09 17:55:29 UTC
MY RANKI(NGS

1. Right Now - Five Vets - 7
2. No Money - The Blue Diamonds - 6
3. I'll Always Be In Love With You - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens - 6
4. Carry On - Jerry Byrne - 5

The Five Vets has a very catching melody and hook. The Blue Diamonds is good but would be better with a sax break rather than the jazzy guitar break. The Ravens did a good remake of the really good Ray-O-Vacs hit, but the pop arrangement keeps me from liking it more than I do. "Lights Out" is excellent, but I'm not a fan of Byrne's other records.
Roger Ford
2019-05-09 17:22:48 UTC
No Money - The Blue Diamonds-8
Right Now - Five Vets -7
Carry On - Jerry Byrne - 1959 - 7
I'll Always Be In Love With You - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens - 6

2019-05-09 17:46:56 UTC
No Money - The Blue Diamonds-8
Grandpappy Herman strikes again!!

Both sides on the Ernie K-Doe debut are great IMO
Post by Roger Ford
Right Now - Five Vets -7
If this had been the even better other side "You're In Love" (also
never in any Battle) it would have scored an 8.

And yes,even if you never heard it I bet you know the song. It's that
Broadway show duet thing ("Call Me Madam") that Ethel Merman used to
sing with a partner "I hear music and there's no one there/you don't
need analyzing......etc"
Post by Roger Ford
Carry On - Jerry Byrne - 1959 - 7
Before white New Orleans youngster Frankie Ford tore up the charts
with "Sea Cruise" 17 year old white Crescent City high school student
Jerry Byrne got there first with the frantic "Lights Out" in 1958.

"Carry On" was the followup-but-one from 1959 which,like its
predecessor was a good steady seller for us at our Moondog's store
Post by Roger Ford
I'll Always Be In Love With You - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens - 6
I don't think I'm ever gonna win top prize for being the World's #1
Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens fan

2019-05-09 17:50:57 UTC
And now we're back to the mediocre. The record I ranked #1 in this
group would have been #3 or 4 in the previous group. #'s 2 and 3 are
listenable but nothing special to me, K-Doe and Dr. John (writer's
credit on the Byrne) notwithstanding.

I did mention that I have changed my mind about the Ravens and like some
of their uptempo records a lot. But this is not one of them. I much
prefer the Hurricanes' version of this song, and recommend it to all of you:

1-Right Now - Five Vets
2-No Money - The Blue Diamonds
3-Carry On - Jerry Byrne - 1959
4-I'll Always Be In Love With You - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens
Bill B
2019-05-09 18:40:07 UTC
1 I'll Always Be In Love With You - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/Qi9wbPzYTr4
2 Right Now - Five Vets
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/BN6vXskv03Y
3 No Money - The Blue Diamonds
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/_BaSxriVoBw
4 Carry On - Jerry Byrne - 1959
http://youtu.be/Zcc0vNlfaqk
Mark Dintenfass
2019-05-10 03:06:31 UTC

1. No Money - The Blue Diamonds - 33
2. Right Now - Five Vets - 32
3. Carry On - Jerry Byrne - 28

4. I'll Always Be In Love With You - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens - 27

The Ravens record is out. The other 3 advance to round 1.

OleManRiver
2019-05-09 23:01:54 UTC
1. Carry On - Jerry Byrne
2. I'll Always Be In Love With You - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens
3. No Money - The Blue Diamonds
4. Right Now - Five Vets
Carl
2019-05-10 02:15:13 UTC