Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - July - Prelims - Group 5
2019-07-06 18:46:13 UTC

Take Me Where You Go - Elmore James

Be My Pussy Cat - Boptones

Send Me A Picture, Baby - Starlarks

My Baby Won't Let Me In - Marvin Phillips

SavoyBG
2019-07-06 18:56:45 UTC

1. Take Me Where You Go - Elmore James - 7
2. My Baby Won't Let Me In - Marvin Phillips - 6
3. Send Me A Picture, Baby - Starlarks - 5
4. Be My Pussy Cat - Boptones - 5
Steve Mc
2019-07-06 19:20:27 UTC
1. Take Me Where You Go - Elmore James

2. My Baby Won't Let Me In - Marvin Phillips

3. Be My Pussy Cat - Boptones

4. Send Me A Picture, Baby - Starlarks

This cute pussycat has grown on me the past week or so, but it almost
dropped a notch when that guy came in @ 1:15.

2019-07-06 19:07:28 UTC
1 Send Me A Picture, Baby - Starlarks
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/gkUe-3VK0JQ
2 Be My Pussy Cat - Boptones
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/axhdQXagtso
3 Take Me Where You Go - Elmore James
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/0XgspB-dyNI
4 My Baby Won't Let Me In - Marvin Phillips
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/GXF6WuZepws
This video should have accompanied "Be My Pussy Cat". Cute cat. Yours I assume, Diane.
DianeE
2019-07-06 19:31:06 UTC
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/GXF6WuZepws
This video should have accompanied "Be My Pussy Cat". Cute cat. Yours I assume, Diane.
--------------
Thank you. As with most cats, there's some question about who owns whom.
Many years ago we used to have threads here about songs that mention
dogs, birds, insects, etc., and when cats were brought up, someone
posted "Be My Pussy Cat." And that's when I first heard it. There
aren't very many songs about cats, not even on the Cat label, but I have
one I'm thinking about nominating in the next cusp contest.
Roger Ford
2019-07-06 19:20:39 UTC
My Baby Won't Let Me In - Marvin Phillips - 7
Take Me Where You Go - Elmore James - 7
Send Me A Picture, Baby - Starlarks 5
Be My Pussy Cat - Boptones - 5

2019-07-06 19:30:14 UTC
My Baby Won't Let Me In - Marvin Phillips - 7
The Red Callender Sextette had a stint on John Dolphin's Recorded In
Hollywood label in 1953 which produced "The Sun Is Shining"(with
Marvin's vocal) released on RIH 405 that year. Unreleased from the
session was their "My Baby Won't Let Me In" again graced with Marvin's
vocal.

Thanks for the correspondence on this one,Di
Post by Roger Ford
Take Me Where You Go - Elmore James - 7
Even second rate Elmore is better than most people's best.

Vcl/gtr with J.T Brown (ten) Johnny Jones (pno) Eddie Taylor (gtr)
+dms. Original release in 1957 on Chief 7006 reissued a year later as
Vee Jay 269
Post by Roger Ford
Send Me A Picture, Baby - Starlarks 5
Hailing from New Haven Ct. This record first appeared on the Elm label
where it sold fairly well locally. This alerted Al Silver at Herald
Records in NYC who promptly purchased the master and reissued the disc
on Ember---where it promptly BOMBED when exposed to the huge Big Apple
market.

I guess they had a similar opinion to mine :)
Post by Roger Ford
Be My Pussy Cat - Boptones - 5
Can't say I care for much this very inferior flip to the better "I Had
A Love". This white group from Bensonhurst,Brooklyn scored on "Ted
Mack Amateur Hour" with their version of "At My Front Door" leading to
a recording contract with Ember and an appearance on one of Alan
Freed's Stage Shows

2019-07-06 20:58:18 UTC
----------
I couldn't have said it better myself. Exactly.
DianeE
2019-07-06 23:38:51 UTC
My Baby Won't Let Me In - Marvin Phillips - 7
The Red Callender Sextette had a stint on John Dolphin's Recorded In
Hollywood label in 1953 which produced "The Sun Is Shining"(with
Marvin's vocal) released on RIH 405 that year. Unreleased from the
session was their "My Baby Won't Let Me In" again graced with Marvin's
vocal.
Thanks for the correspondence on this one,Di
-----------------
No, thank *you*. I've posted a comment on my youtube video correcting
the mistake.
DianeE
2019-07-06 19:34:18 UTC
I was really loving "Send Me A Picture, Baby," (the only one in this
group I never heard before) until the break when they started making
silly noises over the music. Just ruined it for me.

1-My Baby Won't Let Me In - Marvin Phillips
2-Take Me Where You Go - Elmore James
OleManRiver
2019-07-06 21:52:47 UTC
I was really loving "Send Me A Picture, Baby," (the only one in this
group I never heard before) until the break when they started making
silly noises over the music. Just ruined it for me.
My brothers and I loved this record. Those "silly noises' made it for us. "Woo ahh, woo ahh, woo ahh".

Frank
OleManRiver
2019-07-06 20:32:49 UTC
1. Send Me A Picture, Baby - Starlarks
2. Take Me Where You Go - Elmore James
3. My Baby Won't Let Me In - Marvin Phillips
4. Be My Pussy Cat - Boptones
Rick Schubert
2019-07-06 20:53:29 UTC
0. Duchess
1. Be My Pussy Cat - Boptones
2. Send Me A Picture, Baby - Starlarks
3. My Baby Won't Let Me In - Marvin Phillips
4. Take Me Where You Go - Elmore James
Carl
2019-07-06 22:33:36 UTC
Elmore James
Boptones
Starlarks
Marvin Phillips
Dennis C
2019-07-06 22:40:16 UTC
1- "Send Me a Picture"- Complex melodic structure as the tune takes some turns that snap you to attention!! Not bad!!

2- "Be my Pussycat"- Lively and there seems to be a lot of varoius good going on but the recording gets lost in the wash, baby!!

3- "Take Me Where You Go"- Elmore sings well but this composition is average, ordinary, middling, so so, and oh so run of the mill!!!

4- "My Baby Won't Let Me In"- And I know why she won't, Marvin!! Not with a mushy vocal like that!!!
DianeE
Ailurophobe!
Dennis C
2019-07-07 00:06:58 UTC
I just ain't feline it, baby!!
Jim Colegrove
2019-07-07 00:04:10 UTC
1. Take Me Where You Go - Elmore James

2. Be My Pussy Cat - Boptones

SavoyBG
2019-07-07 00:23:33 UTC

1. Take Me Where You Go - Elmore James - 30
2. Send Me A Picture, Baby - Starlarks - 25

3. Be My Pussy Cat - Boptones - 23
4. My Baby Won't Let Me In - Marvin Phillips - 22

Marvin is out. Elmore and the Starlarks move on. The Boptones could be out. Right now they would be out, we'll see how the rest of the 3rd place items do.