Hey, remember our friend Breihan?
2019-05-20 16:54:48 UTC
In his The Number Ones column, today Tom Breihan is up to "The Streak" by Ray Stevens. It gave him the opportunity, again, to meditate on the big picture.

"We can sit all day and theorize about why this particular stupid activity hit its cultural zenith in the final days of the Nixon administration. My best guess: It was an outgrowth of the sexual revolution, and of the '60s counterculture in general, but it turned the whole thing into a joke, threatening nobody and causing no scrutiny of any established power structures - which would explain why people didn't really get in trouble for doing it. It was non-rebellious rebellion, a symptom of the sexual revolution's failure to effect real change in anything."

Seems kinda heavy for a silly novelty song.

2019-05-20 17:15:04 UTC
I don't think he was referring to the song but to the social flop-swating activity itself and with that, he's right on the money shot, baby!!
Bob Roman
2019-05-22 15:14:53 UTC
I don't think he was referring to the song but to the social flop-swating
activity itself and with that, he's right on the money shot, baby!!
Counterpoint: The streaking fad of the early '70s was not evidence that the sexual revolution had be tamed and trivialized but that it had been successful and mainstream enough to become kitsch.

2019-05-21 01:12:08 UTC
My message to the Breihans of this world, who feel the need to politicize everything: you're a pain in the ass and nobody likes you!

(I've changed over the years, haven't I?)
Dennis C
2019-05-21 01:17:49 UTC
I like Briehan!!

It's not politicizing. It's setting an historical, social, and yes...a political backdrop to his intensely documented and cogently presented reviews and critiques!!

And no Dean, you haven't really changed that much, baby!!
Dean F.
2019-05-21 04:34:15 UTC
It's not politicizing. It's setting an historical, social, and yes...a political backdrop to his intensely documented and cogently presented reviews and critiques!!
"Intensely documented?" He regularly gets his facts wrong! "Cogently presented?" He projects his narrow personal views onto music that was never intended as anything but blithe AM radio fare. You clearly have never read legitimate rock criticism by knowledgeable writers(like Lester Bangs and Greil Marcus), or you'd realize what a know-nothing joke Breihan truly is.
That shows how little you know about me.
Dennis C
2019-05-21 06:49:21 UTC
That shows how little you know about me.

I know enough to never wanna see you streaking, baby!!!
Dean F.
2019-05-22 06:05:41 UTC
Can't say I blame you.
Eric Ramon
2019-05-22 04:02:59 UTC
The guy is ignorant, a non-fan who thinks he's a fan and hopes he comes across as politically "with it".

I was watching some videos by an obscure guitarist who talks about...well, Buddy Holly, for one. He talked about the historical context. You know, like a real fan who knows something about music and its history...which definitely doesn't describe Breihan.

He is unqualified for this task.
DianeE
2019-05-22 13:38:03 UTC
-----------
Might we have a link to that video? Sounds interesting.
Eric Ramon
2019-05-23 19:04:46 UTC
Post by Eric Ramon
The guy is ignorant, a non-fan who thinks he's a fan and hopes he comes across as politically "with it".
I was watching some videos by an obscure guitarist who talks about...well, Buddy Holly, for one. He talked about the historical context. You know, like a real fan who knows something about music and its history...which definitely doesn't describe Breihan.
He is unqualified for this task.
-----------
Might we have a link to that video? Sounds interesting.
here's one where he talks about the Everly Brothers

his discussion starts at about 3:20
Dean F.
2019-05-23 05:18:18 UTC
Breihan's intellect is on a par with those who regard comic books as literature.
Bob Roman
2019-05-22 16:00:40 UTC
I learned something today. The songwriting team that wrote the awful song "Billy Don't Be A Hero" were the same people who wrote "I'm Telling You Now" by Freddie and the Dreamers.

2019-05-22 17:16:19 UTC
I learned something today. The songwriting team that wrote the awful song "Billy Don't Be A Hero" were the same people who wrote "I'm Telling You Now" by Freddie and the Dreamers.
I went to a petty good Oldies concert a few years ago. Fronted by Ron Dante. Backed by Bo Donaldson and his band. Featuring Lenny Welch, Chris Montez, Stephen Bishop, Frank Stallone (?), and a few others. All one or two hit wonders. Ron introduces Bo D. who explains the history of "Billy..." And then, doesn't play it!

Ray Arthur
Dean F.
2019-05-23 05:16:35 UTC

If I have to listen to Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods, I'd much rather hear the follow-up, "Who Do You Think You Are?" It reminded me of the Buckinghams.
t***@iwvisp.com
2019-05-23 13:35:37 UTC
He did play that and one other that I don’t recall. He and the band did a great job backing up half a dozen acts with a very varied playlist. It was kind of a mini Happy Together tour but in a nightclub setting with dinner. Most of the acts were accessible after, for photo ops.

Ray
Roger Ford
2019-05-22 18:40:13 UTC
On Wed, 22 May 2019 09:00:40 -0700 (PDT), Bob Roman
Post by Bob Roman
I learned something today. The songwriting team that wrote the awful song "Billy Don't Be A Hero" were the same people who wrote "I'm Telling You Now" by Freddie and the Dreamers.
No it wasn't.

Yes,Mitch Murray co-wrote both but "Billy..." was co-written with
Peter Callender and "I'm Telling You Now" was with Freddie Garrity

BTW The original version of "Billy" was the UK #1 Paper Lace version.
Bo Donaldson & co had their #1 US hit version later

Ugh! Now I'm off to shower. I'm contaminated discussing such crap

2019-05-30 15:36:12 UTC
Breihan, today, had an insight.

"Someone who was actually alive during that time would know better than me."

I wonder what will come of it...

2019-05-30 15:40:16 UTC
Breihan, today, had an insight.
"Someone who was actually alive during that time would know better than me."
I wonder what will come of it...
It sure took him long enough to discover the blessing of self-doubt.