Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - June - Cusp Edition (1960-1963) - Preliminary Round - Group 8
2019-06-06 00:14:35 UTC

Rosetta - Five Keys

Please Don't Cheat On Me - Sinceres

Gee Baby What About You - Shep & The Limelites

True Love Never Dies - Allen Orange

SavoyBG
2019-06-06 00:20:22 UTC

1. Gee Baby What About You - Shep & The Limelites - 7
2. Rosetta - Five Keys - 6
3. Please Don't Cheat On Me - Sinceres - 6
4. True Love Never Dies - Allen Orange - 5
Jim Colegrove
2019-06-06 03:51:09 UTC
1. Gee Baby What About You - Shep & The Limelites

2. True Love Never Dies - Allen Orange

3. Please Don't Cheat On Me - Sinceres

4. Rosetta - Five Keys
DianeE
2019-06-06 00:36:26 UTC
1-Gee Baby What About You - Shep & The Limelites
I love this record, it's like a "9" for me.

The other 3 are all kind of fair-to-middling.

2-Rosetta - Five Keys
3-True Love Never Dies - Allen Orange
4-Please Don't Cheat On Me - Sinceres
Steve Mc
2019-06-06 03:47:15 UTC
1-Rosetta - Five Keys

2-Please Don't Cheat On Me - Sinceres

3-Gee Baby What About You - Shep & The Limelites

4-True Love Never Dies - Allen Orange

2019-06-06 01:06:41 UTC
Dammit Grossberg!! Spread this out better!! I like all these entries!!

Cunthair City here, baby!!came pretty

1- "Please Don't Cheat on Me" And Sinceres is the group and the delivery!! Top notch lead singer drives this deluxe doowop!!!

2- "Gee Baby, What About You" Shep comes pretty damn close to Sam Cooke on this pretty tune. Love the accompanying sax on the bridge.

3- "Rosetta" Good solid record that almost could be considered late 40's

4- "True Love Never Dies" Who the hell is Allen Orange? He's terrific and he lost a gummy dime coin toss to finidh 4th, baby!!
Bill B
2019-06-06 10:16:31 UTC
3- "Rosetta" Good solid record that almost could be considered late 40's
It was co-written in 1929 by Earl Fatha Hines, a famous composer of Jazz/Swing music. It became his theme song.
Carl
2019-06-06 01:39:16 UTC
True Love Never Dies
Rosetta
Gee Baby
Please Don’t Cheat On Me

It’s a shame any of these have to be voted out
Mark Dintenfass
2019-06-06 03:11:26 UTC
Gee Baby What About You - Shep & The Limelites

Rosetta - Five Keys
True Love Never Dies - Allen Orange
Please Don't Cheat On Me - Sinceres

I left all that space to show how far above the other three Shep's
record is, imo. (Diane, I see, would agree.) Of course, there's a whole
string of Shep records that are terrific,
2019-06-06 03:48:54 UTC
Gee Baby What About You - Shep & The Limelites - 7
Please Don't Cheat On Me - Sinceres - 7
Rosetta - Five Keys - 6
True Love Never Dies - Allen Orange 6

2019-06-06 04:38:16 UTC
Gee Baby What About You - Shep & The Limelites - 7
Very good effort from the always reliable Shep & co.from 1962
Post by SavoyBG
Please Don't Cheat On Me - Sinceres - 7
Billboard review July 31 1961 :-

"The Sinceres come through with a strong reading of a bright rocker in
which they show off a good blend and some catchy vocal gimmicks.Aimed
at the teen set.Flip is "If You Should Leave Me"
Post by SavoyBG
Rosetta - Five Keys - 6
Moderate Five Keys number with Maryland Pierce lead. Released March
1960 recorded the previous August
Post by SavoyBG
True Love Never Dies - Allen Orange 6
First recorded as half of "Allen & Allen" on Minit (the other Allen
being one Mr Toussaint of that ilk). His Minit output is generally
fairly average. Later went on to pen one of my 1964 favorites "Strain
On My Heart" for Roscoe Shelton

2019-06-06 06:10:33 UTC
1. Please Don't Cheat On Me - Sinceres
2. Rosetta - Five Keys
3. Gee Baby What About You - Shep & The Limelites
4. True Love Never Dies - Allen Orange

Second time this month that one of my songs goes up against one by the Five Keys.

All of these songs are excellent or better.
Bill B
2019-06-06 10:27:26 UTC
1 Rosetta - Five Keys
http://youtu.be/c1cgnsGjSKk
http://youtu.be/Gdwo0pIZUsA
http://youtu.be/1DptodD8Fwc
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/0HuLq0Q7vP0
It hurt to put this fourth. I like it.
OleManRiver
2019-06-06 11:57:12 UTC
1. Please Don't Cheat On Me - Sinceres - 6
2. Gee Baby What About You - Shep & The Limelites - 7
3. Rosetta - Five Keys - 6
4. True Love Never Dies - Allen Orange - 5
SavoyBG
2019-06-06 13:43:19 UTC

1. Gee Baby What About You - Shep & The Limelites - 38
2. Rosetta - Five Keys - 33
3. Please Don't Cheat On Me - Sinceres - 29

4. True Love Never Dies - Allen Orange - 20

Orange is out, victim of a strong group. The other 3 advance.

Bob Roman
2019-06-06 12:14:37 UTC
1. Shep & Limelites
2. Five Keys