Remember cassette tapes?
2021-03-13 14:57:21 UTC
Remember reel-to-reel up until 1963?

Lou Ottens has died at age 94 in his home country, the Netherlands. He
was the leader of the Philips audio team that invented the tape cassette
and revolutionized the industry.
Then, in the 1970s, he helped to invent the replacement for the
commercial tape cassette, i.e. the CD. Nope, I never heard of him
before either, but his work certainly had a big impact on my life!

NYTimes obituary:
https://tinyurl.com/tb5scd36
Steve Mc
2021-03-13 15:13:42 UTC
Remember reel-to-reel up until 1963?
Lou Ottens has died at age 94 in his home country, the Netherlands.  He
was the leader of the Philips audio team that invented the tape cassette
and revolutionized the industry.
Then, in the 1970s, he helped to invent the replacement for the
commercial tape cassette, i.e. the CD.  Nope, I never heard of him
before either, but his work certainly had a big impact on my life!
https://tinyurl.com/tb5scd36
Like you say, very big impact.

Being mobile teens in the 60's, I started out with a car 45 record
player, to 4 track tape, skipping 8 track completely,then cassettes,
then CDs.

2021-03-14 15:13:43 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
Post by DianeE
Remember reel-to-reel up until 1963?
Lou Ottens has died at age 94 in his home country, the Netherlands.  He
was the leader of the Philips audio team that invented the tape cassette
and revolutionized the industry.
Then, in the 1970s, he helped to invent the replacement for the
commercial tape cassette, i.e. the CD.  Nope, I never heard of him
before either, but his work certainly had a big impact on my life!
https://tinyurl.com/tb5scd36
Like you say, very big impact.
Being mobile teens in the 60's, I started out with a car 45 record
player, to 4 track tape, skipping 8 track completely,then cassettes,
then CDs.
And now my iPhone
Oh, yeah. Having thousands of my favorites organized and available withou
ever unboxing, cleaning, inserting, button-pressing, and without ever
worrying about scratches, skips, tangles, etc., is bliss. I suppose the nex
step is you just think of a song you'd like to hear and, presto, it's playing
though I'm not likely to be around when we get there.

2021-03-19 04:11:39 UTC
I suppose the next step is you just think of a song you'd
like to hear and, presto, it's playing, though I'm not likely
to be around when we get there.
In short, with many positive cultural/mindset connotations,
a most excellent comment.

Extrapolating, it seems, Mark, that you are mentally prepared
for the growing role that AI will play in society.

One of the first occupations that AI should, in theory,
dominate (because physical dexterity is not a factor)
is LAW; i.e. extremely expensive lawyers and highly paid judges
could be replaced with bargain androids, which will have instant
access to every relevant law and influential past court judgment,
and can consequentially argue a case with unquestionable logic.

Unquestionable? Yes, these androids will also have to be guided
by some 'accepted' basic general values (e.g. 'left-wing' greater
community good v. 'right-wing' me me me personal wealth-obsessed
callousness - if weaker folk have to perish/suffer so that *I* can
maintain or grow my wealth, so be it).

OT By the way, I don't mind his hair, but I don't like Boris Johnson's
close together beady eyes - Boris is despised by many socially-conscious
Brit professionals - but he is supported by Thatcher's 'Essex Man'
(aspiring working-class folk, who are considered by some to be
traitors to their class.)

Geoff
md
2021-03-19 13:28:40 UTC
Extrapolating, it seems, Mark, that you are mentally prepared
for the growing role that AI will play in society.
I'm mentally prepared to be gone when the machines take over. Of course,
anyone who deals with Siri knows that AI won't be taking over anytime soon.

2021-03-19 14:32:53 UTC
Post by md
Post by RWC
Extrapolating, it seems, Mark, that you are mentally prepared
for the growing role that AI will play in society.
I'm mentally prepared to be gone when the machines take over. Of course,
anyone who deals with Siri knows that AI won't be taking over anytime soon.
That won't help you in the long term

Skynet will send Arnie back in time to terminate you before you joined
this group

2021-03-19 14:56:51 UTC
Skynet will send Arnie back in time to terminate you before you joined
this group
Hopefully, Skynet will also terminate all persons with a 'right-wing'
psychopathic mindset: "callousness, detachment and a lack of empathy
..."