Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - May 2021 Preliminary Round - Group 1
2021-05-02 10:30:55 UTC
2021-05-02 14:18:20 UTC

2021-05-02 14:18:51 UTC

2021-05-02 14:38:57 UTC

2021-05-02 14:24:44 UTC

2021-05-02 14:29:33 UTC
2. Stormy Weather - Spaniels
3. Boss Chick - Shortie Billups
4. Come On Little Angel - Belmonts
5. Sick And Tired - Chris Kenner
Roger Ford
2021-05-02 14:35:37 UTC
Come On Little Angel - Belmonts
http://youtu.be/_TEx7xdC0v0
Now getting used to life after Dion here's the Belmonts in 1962 with
their second biggest post-Dion hit--after "Tell Me Why". Structured
pretty much like the songs Dion was currently having major success
with "Come On Little Angel" on Sabina was a #28 hit on the Billboard
chart
Post by ***@aol.com
Stormy Weather - Spaniels
http://youtu.be/k7NcPs--olQ
Recorded at a March 1958 session in Chicago for Vee Jay The Spaniels
excel with their Pookie-led version of the old Harold Arlen chestnut
(a song that I like in practically every version I ever heard). The
group at this time were Pookie Hudson,Gerald Gregory, Donald Porter,
Carl Rainge, James Cochran, and Ernest Warren.
Post by ***@aol.com
Boss Chick - Shortie Billups
http://youtu.be/BUqF0M7Wn4M
SHORTY BILLUPS
* ** Boss Chick - FINE 1002 -Verve-ful reading by Billups on a bouncy
rocker with a good beat. Both sides are dual market items. (Neitor.
8511)
** Why Can't You Be True - Billups wails plaintively on a wistful
rockaballad. (Neilor. BMJ) (Billboard review February 1 1960)

Regardless of what BB says above the Fine record label (with offices
on W.104th St. in NYC) released the black rocker "Boss Chick" as the
"B" side and Billups appeared on said label as "SHORTIE Billups"
Post by ***@aol.com
Untie Me - The Tams
http://youtu.be/kWecXOMLcrg
Decent Joe South-penned first release from the Atlanta-based Tams (not
to be confused with the white Philly "Memory Lane" group of that name)
on Arlen label in 1962. Personally I prefer their later "What Kind Of
Fool (Do You Think I Am)" and "Hey Girl Don't Bother Me" hits (the
later number hitting #1 here in UK due to massive popularity on the
Northern Soul scene).

A later UK hit "There Ain't Nothin' Like Shaggin" followed despite
airplay problems on some stations here since the phrase "to shag" in
slang English means exactly what you think it does
Post by ***@aol.com
Sick And Tired - Chris Kenner
http://youtu.be/-TBNVb8B8Qk
We now take you back 21 years in the past---to a post I made in this
very newsgroup about "Sick And Tired" that I'd just posted to "the
usual place" in those pre-YT days in its original Chris Kenner version
Post by ***@aol.com
This is one that was briefly mentioned in the Fats Domino discussion
recently----the original of another song that Fats later made his
own......and posted here by request.
Chris Kenner and "Sick And Tired" originally on Imperial 5448 from 1957
Along with "Let The Four Winds Blow","Blue Monday" and a few others,
this is the original of the number that Fats did a better version of a
year later and despite the fact that Chris Kenner was never going to
win any singing contests,his is still a very interesting version
nonetheless and worth a listen.
Amazingly Kenner's career goes back even further than 1957---he first
recorded for Baton in 1956 ("Grandma's House").>But of course his true
moment of glory came in 1961 when his self penned "I Like It Like That"
----one of my very favorite tunes of that year--- that originally appeared
on Valiant 3229,went all the way to #2 on the Hot 100 now on Instant
label.

2021-05-02 14:36:34 UTC
1-Sick And Tired - Chris Kenner
2-Untie Me - The Tams
3-Stormy Weather - Spaniels
4-Boss Chick - Shortie Billups
5-Come On Little Angel - Belmonts
md
2021-05-02 15:22:57 UTC
Group 1 is now open. Please rank these from best to worst
Untie Me - The Tams
Stormy Weather - Spaniels
Sick And Tired - Chris Kenner
Boss Chick - Shortie Billups
Come On Little Angel - Belmonts

2021-05-02 15:46:30 UTC
1- Tams ( Thank you, Joe South)

2- Shortie Billups ( Billupingly bodacious sax solo,baby!!

3- Chris Kenner

4- Belmonts

5- Spaniels ( don't squat and take a shit on Lena Horne's luxurious lawn you spurtin' Spaniels)
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-02 18:07:19 UTC
Nothing from Jim or Rick yet.
Rick Schubert
2021-05-02 18:12:45 UTC
1. Come On Little Angel - Belmonts
2. Stormy Weather - Spaniels
3. Untie Me - The Tams
4. Sick And Tired - Chris Kenner
5. Boss Chick - Shortie Billups

All good songs.
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-03 02:14:24 UTC
Nothing from Jim. I emailed him and heard nothing back. Hope he's okay.
Jim Colegrove
2021-05-03 03:29:10 UTC
Nothing from Jim. I emailed him and heard nothing back. Hope he's okay.
Sorry -- had computer problems and other stuff got in the way. I will
have a day or two this month that will be problamatic for me but I
will let you know in advance Bruce.

1. Untie Me - The Tams

2. Sick And Tired - Chris Kenner

3. Stormy Weather - Spaniels

Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-03 03:59:45 UTC

1. Untie Me - The Tams - 36
2. Stormy Weather - Spaniels - 32
3. Sick And Tired - Chris Kenner - 31
4. Come On Little Angel - Belmonts - 20

5. Boss Chick - Shortie Billups - 16

A shocker for me as Mark's Tams wins the group comfortably. My Doggies are second just one pernt ahead of Diane's CK. Rick's Belmonts take 4th to move into the next round while Carl's Chauncey "Shorty" Billups goes from Boss Chick to Loser Lass.