January Nominations
2020-12-28 17:02:12 UTC
I guess I'll start:

Don't Leave Me Now - Arthur Gunter (1959)
Don't Leave Me Now (Alternate) - YouTube

Baby Shame - Clyde Stacy (1957)

Date On The Corner - Don Feger (1959)

Chuck Higgins - Big Fat Mama (1952)

While Our Hearts Were Young - Federals (1957)

2020-12-28 17:34:23 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
Don't Leave Me Now - Arthur Gunter (1959)
Don't Leave Me Now (Alternate) - YouTube
Baby Shame - Clyde Stacy (1957)
http://youtu.be/TIpLA1QR9lE
Date On The Corner - Don Feger (1959)
http://youtu.be/-VvGjtpRejg
Chuck Higgins - Big Fat Mama (1952)
http://youtu.be/I0odJmYwtVM
While Our Hearts Were Young - Federals (1957)
http://youtu.be/puTrqhXccYU
Not sure how that happened, but here's the link to the Arthur Gunter:

2020-12-28 23:55:51 UTC
January 2021 nominations

Keep thinking I'm running out of songs I like from '55, but here's another 5.

Nothing Seems Right - Young Jessie - Modern 973

So Long Baby Goodbye - Sammy Lewis & Willie Johnson - Sun 218

I Lost My Baby - JB Lenoir - Parrot 821

Sweet Woman From Maine - Robert (Lockwood) Jr - JOB 1107

Hey Girl - The Wrens - Rama 174

Sav...@aol.com
2020-12-29 01:56:01 UTC
I hereby grant you permission to go to a different year!
Carl
2020-12-29 15:01:41 UTC
That bad, well there's always next month.
Sav...@aol.com
2020-12-29 15:42:41 UTC
If 6 of us (Bruce, Carl, Roger, Steve, Rick, Jim) each nominate 5 songs that will be 30 and Diane said she will come up with 2 to get us to 32 for the tournament.
Sav...@aol.com
2020-12-29 01:56:41 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
Don't Leave Me Now - Arthur Gunter (1959)
Don't Leave Me Now (Alternate) - YouTube
Baby Shame - Clyde Stacy (1957)
http://youtu.be/TIpLA1QR9lE
Date On The Corner - Don Feger (1959)
http://youtu.be/-VvGjtpRejg
Not resting on your laurels at all, huh!
md
2020-12-29 02:48:16 UTC
The well has run dry. I'm out next month.

2020-12-29 02:51:10 UTC
I think Diane is out too.
DianeE
2020-12-29 13:35:33 UTC
Post by md
The well has run dry. I'm out next month.
I think Diane is out too.
----------
Yes, I mentioned a while back that I will not be nominating any records
for January. I'll continue to vote, though, and hope Dinty will do the
same.
Jim Colegrove
2020-12-29 19:53:27 UTC
Let's see if these work.

Mr. Blues - The Masterkeys -

Do Ya Do - Kool Gents -

Jump Cat Jump -Jesse Rogers -

Wild Mind - Johnny 'T' Talley -

Easy Big Mama - Rusty McDonald -

Sav...@aol.com
2020-12-30 01:09:10 UTC
Let's see if these work.
Jump Cat Jump -Jesse Rogers -
http://youtu.be/dLXKf1iqwcI
Believe it or not this label is from a mile or so away from where I grew up in Paramus, NJ.
Jim Colegrove
2020-12-30 03:51:54 UTC
Let's see if these work.
Jump Cat Jump -Jesse Rogers -
http://youtu.be/dLXKf1iqwcI
Believe it or not this label is from a mile or so away from where I grew up in Paramus, NJ.
Discogs.com says US label from Philadelphia, PA owned by Jack Howard.
Tell me more about it.
Sav...@aol.com
I must have is mixed up with another label that has the address shown on it. Thought it was Arcade, but maybe not.
Jim Colegrove
2020-12-30 03:59:12 UTC
On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 13:53:27 -0600, Jim Colegrove
Post by Jim Colegrove
Let's see if these work.
Mr. Blues - The Masterkeys -
http://youtu.be/U3KQyYX5TEM
And yes, I did read where the gruop's name was misprinted on the
label. It should have been "Master Keys" according to Uncle Marvie.
Post by Jim Colegrove
Do Ya Do - Kool Gents -
http://youtu.be/sk-n8BsfEK0
Jump Cat Jump -Jesse Rogers -
http://youtu.be/dLXKf1iqwcI
Wild Mind - Johnny 'T' Talley -
http://youtu.be/qXy5LmPWudY
Easy Big Mama - Rusty McDonald -
http://youtu.be/aXdS-GOOeoU
Sav...@aol.com
2021-01-02 15:44:05 UTC
Let's see if these work.
Easy Big Mama - Rusty McDonald -
http://youtu.be/aXdS-GOOeoU
Jim, I changed videos on this because yours gets cut off before the record is over. This one has the full record.

Jim Colegrove
2021-01-03 14:58:12 UTC
Let's see if these work.
http://youtu.be/1dxeGTBvQEM
Thanks, Bruce.
Rick Schubert
2021-01-03 19:28:50 UTC
Let's see if these work.
Easy Big Mama - Rusty McDonald -
http://youtu.be/aXdS-GOOeoU
Jim, I changed videos on this because yours gets cut off before the record is over. This one has the full record.
http://youtu.be/1dxeGTBvQEM
I have updated the January 2021 Nominations playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfrgSfewEoB_mMsGZMxFzLSoZrNmQXTgA
Rick Schubert
2020-12-30 06:10:19 UTC
Here are my nominations:

Don't Pass Me By - Du-Droppers - RCA 47-5504 - 1953

Baby, Be Mine - Diablos featuring Nolan Strong - Fortune 511 - 1954

Rock Me - Nutmegs - Herald 459 - 1955

Satisfied - Roy Jones & The Shells - Swirl 101 - 1960

Christmas Day - Detroit Junior - Foxy 002 - 1961

I hope you aren't tired of Christmas songs now that Christmas has passed. There were no
nominations in December, and early November seemed too early. I originally had an additional
Christmas song I wanted to nominate, but it turned out that it had already been used in a Singles
Battle.
Roger Ford
2020-12-30 09:11:25 UTC
Let's see how these fly :-

Biscuit Baking Mama - Big Ed - Checker 790 - 1954 *

The Bells Of My Heart - Fascinators - Your Copy 1135 - 1954

I Can't Go On This Way - Fats Domino - Imperial unreleased - 1955 **

Long Gone Daddy - Pat Cupp - RPM 473 - 1956

Lumumba - Snuffy Smith - Spinett 1008 - 1961 ***

* This is blues artist Ed Burns

**Even tho its from the same year (1955) THIS IS NOT THE SAME SONG as
the more famous "I Can't Go On" (sometimes called "I Can't Go On
(Rosalie)" . This one WAS released in 1963 but in an overdubbed
version

*** artist here is Huey "Piano" Smith

2020-12-30 12:57:26 UTC
http://youtu.be/QRJOkHXTtRg
-----------
This is a terrific record--how did it slip through the cracks?
Steve Mc
2020-12-30 14:41:56 UTC
I Can't Go On This Way - Fats Domino - Imperial unreleased - 1955 **
http://youtu.be/rnKxBsvRsuo
Video unavailable.

2020-12-30 15:59:25 UTC
--
What about this?

2020-12-30 17:20:09 UTC
http://youtu.be/2L68JySgXvM
Video unavailable.
Roger Ford

2020-12-31 01:03:55 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
Post by Roger Ford
I Can't Go On This Way - Fats Domino - Imperial unreleased - 1955 **
http://youtu.be/rnKxBsvRsuo
Video unavailable.
--
What about this?
http://youtu.be/2L68JySgXvM
Video unavailable.
Check back tomorrow
Here are some links that work (some are the 1963 overdubbed version):

http://youtu.be/2L68JySgXvM

Take your pick.
Ken Whiton
2020-12-31 03:20:11 UTC
*-* On Wed, 30 Dec 2020, at 12:20:09 -0500,
*-* In Article <eF2HH.17287$***@fx41.iad>,
*-* DianeE wrote
*-* About Re: January Nominations
Post by Steve Mc
Post by Roger Ford
I Can't Go On This Way - Fats Domino - Imperial unreleased - 1955 **
http://youtu.be/rnKxBsvRsuo
Video unavailable.
What about this?
http://youtu.be/2L68JySgXvM
Video unavailable.
It's there (and plays) for me.

FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: ***@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
DianeE
Okay, now it does work for me. Thanks for fixing it! :)
Sav...@aol.com
2020-12-31 05:40:33 UTC
I'm In!

Rock Everybody Rock - McKinley Mitchell

Love My Baby - Re-vels Quartette

I'm Leavin' This Town - Mr. Bo

I'm Just What You're Looking For - Christine Kitrell

So Lonesome - Five Echoes

Roger Ford
2020-12-31 05:44:09 UTC
I'm In!
So Lonesome - Five Echoes
http://youtu.be/CAMHxUiEtOY
This featured in the Debuts Battle

2020-12-31 06:44:22 UTC
I'm In!
So Lonesome - Five Echoes
http://youtu.be/CAMHxUiEtOY
Jesus, you included a debut for the Five Echoes?

Was "Stormy Weather" the Five Sharps in there too?
Roger Ford
2020-12-31 07:38:57 UTC
I'm In!
So Lonesome - Five Echoes
http://youtu.be/CAMHxUiEtOY
Jesus, you included a debut for the Five Echoes?
Nah.....it was included cos it was the debut of Johnnie Taylor
Post by ***@aol.com
Was "Stormy Weather" the Five Sharps in there too?
OMG don't mention that record--I got pissed off keep seeing so many
copies of it in all those warehouses

78s or 45's...........or both?
Sav...@aol.com
2020-12-31 06:50:13 UTC
I'm In!
So Lonesome - Five Echoes
http://youtu.be/CAMHxUiEtOY
This featured in the Debuts Battle
How about this?

A Fool In Paradise - Jewels

DianeE
2020-12-31 11:57:19 UTC
http://youtu.be/-6UozpSW0hE
----------
That'll get *my* vote!
DianeE
2020-12-30 16:33:21 UTC
With Mark dropping out for January, that leaves us with only 30 records.
After talking with Bruce, I agreed to nominate 2 records to bring us
up to 32. Where that's going to leave me for February I do not know.

On this date in 1928 The Originator, Bo Diddley, was born. (He died at
79 in 2008.)

Look At My Baby - Bo Diddley

and a record with a familiar title, but no relation to the Motown hit
from the 60s:

Function At The Junction - Smoki Whitfield

Steve Mc
2020-12-30 16:59:54 UTC
With Mark dropping out for January, that leaves us with only 30 records.
 After talking with Bruce, I agreed to nominate 2 records to bring us
up to 32.  Where that's going to leave me for February I do not know.
On this date in 1928 The Originator, Bo Diddley, was born.  (He died at
79 in 2008.)
Look At My Baby - Bo Diddley
http://youtu.be/uj87lyIFyMM
About 15 years ago, Bo Diddley was opening for George Thorogood at the
Mountain Winery. As we're driving up the hill, we see signs indicating
that Bo was sick, and wouldn't be performing. WTF !! I went to the
ticket booth and told them I bought my tickets for Bo. They refunded my
money. Cool.

I saved that money to hopefully see him , but I guess I might as well
spend it now.

By the way, I loved that commercial with Bo Diddley and Bo Jackson years
ago.

2020-12-30 17:04:19 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
Post by DianeE
[...]
Here's the link to that commercial.

2021-01-03 13:08:09 UTC
Function At The Junction - Smoki Whitfield
http://youtu.be/smWj5Xqeirw
Back in the 60's we foiund quantity on this record (and several other
Crest singles) in a London warehouse of all places! (Tho sadly no
Eddie Cochran or Kent Harris etc..)

2021-01-03 16:49:28 UTC
Function At The Junction - Smoki Whitfield
http://youtu.be/smWj5Xqeirw
Back in the 60's we foiund quantity on this record (and several other
Crest singles) in a London warehouse of all places! (Tho sadly no
Eddie Cochran or Kent Harris etc..)
------------
Have you actually seen Bomba The Jungle Boy?
(Smoki Whitfield was a B-movie actor best known for his role in that film.)
Roger Ford
2021-01-03 20:46:32 UTC
Function At The Junction - Smoki Whitfield
http://youtu.be/smWj5Xqeirw
Back in the 60's we foiund quantity on this record (and several other
Crest singles) in a London warehouse of all places! (Tho sadly no
Eddie Cochran or Kent Harris etc..)
Have you actually seen Bomba The Jungle Boy?
(Smoki Whitfield was a B-movie actor best known for his role in that film.)
My Dad used to take me to see all the Bomba movies as they came out
here (there were a dozen I think). IIRC Smoki was in all of them.

Thanks for reminding me