Some Instrumentals In Addition to Deans List
RocketMan
2007-08-03 00:21:59 UTC
I missed commenting on Deans instrumental list. Fine list for sure.

Here's a list of some that he didnt have, that I always enjoy listening
to.

20-75 - Willie Mitchell
30-60-90 - Willie Mitchell
A Swingin' Safari - Bert Kaempfert
A Walk in the Black Forest - Horst Jankowski
Apache - Jorgen Ingmann (The definitive version)
Asia Minor - Kokomo
Baby Elephant Walk - Lawrence Welk & His Orchestra
Bumble Boogie - B. Bumble & the Stingers
Cast Your Fate to the Wind - Sounds Orchestral
Classical Gas - Mason Williams
Desafinado - Stan Getz & Charlie Bird
Everyday I Have the Blues - Bill Doggett
Exodus - Ferrante & Teicher
Good, Bad, & Ugly - Hugo Montenegro
Hide Away - Freddie King
In the Mood - Ernie Fields
Java - Al Hirt
Let There Be Drums - Sandy Nelson
Let's Go Trippin'- Dick Dale
Lonely Bull - Herb Alpert & Tijuana Brass
Los Indios Tabajaras - Maria Elena
Manhattan Spiritual - Reg Owen and His Orchestra
Meditacao Meditation - Charlie Byrd
Melancholy Serenade - Jackie Gleason & His Concert Orchestra
Mercy Mercy Mercy - Cannonball Adderly
Mexico - Bob Moore
Miami Vice Theme - Jan Hammer
Midnight In Moscow - Kenny Ball & His Jazzmen
Mission Impossible - Lalo Schifrin
Moonglow and Theme from Picnic - Morris Stoloff & His Orchestra
Music To Watch Girls By - Bob Crewe Generation
No Matter What Shape - T-Bones
On the Rebound - Floyd Cramer
Our Winter Love - Bill Pursell
Outa Space - Billy Preston
Patricia - Perez Prado
Peanuts Theme - Vince Guaraldi Trio
Percolator - Billy Joe and The Checkmates
Pick Up The Pieces - Average White Band
Pink Panther Theme - Henry Mancini
Quiet Village - Martin Denny
Rinky Dink - Dave 'Baby' Cortez
Route 66 Theme - Nelson Riddle Orchestra
Shazam - Duane Eddy
Smokie (Part 2) - Bill Black Combo
So Rare - Jimmy Dorsey
Soulful Strut - Young-Holt Unlimited
Space - Billly Preston
Stranger on the Shore - Mr Acker Bilk
Summer Samba - Walter Wanderley
Sweet Georgia Brown - Carroll Brothers
Swingin' Shepherd Blues - Moe Koffman
Taboo - Arthur Lyman
Take Five - Dave Brubeck Quartet
Taste Of Honey - Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass
The Deacon's Hop - Big Jay McNeely
The 'In' Crowd - Ramsey Lewis
The Entertainer - Marvin Hamlisch
The Magnificent Seven - Al Caiola & His Orchestra
The Pink Panther Theme - Henry Mancini & His Orchestra
The Stripper - David Rose
The Syncopated Clock - Boston Pops
The Theme From A Summer Place - Percy Faith & His Orchestra
Three 30 Blues - Duane Eddy & the Rebels
Tracy's Theme - Spencer Ross
Tuff - Ace Cannon
Up A Lazy River - Si Zentner
Wade In The Water - Ramsey Lewis Trio
Walk On The Wild Side - Jimmy Smith & the Big Band
Walkin' With Mr Lee - Lee Allen
Washington Square - Village Stompers
Wheels - String-A-Longs
Whipped Cream - Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass
White Silver Sands - Bill Black's Combo
Wonderland By Night - Bert Kaempefert
Yakety Sax - Boots Randolph
Dean F.
2007-08-03 00:58:42 UTC
Interesting list, but mine was composed only of rock 'n' roll and R&B/Soul
instrumentals. As such, a lot of the titles that RocketMan cited simply
wouldn't have cut it!
Dean F.
2007-08-03 01:32:57 UTC
Post by RocketMan
Hide Away - Freddie King
That one's on my list. In fact, it's in the top ten!
Post by RocketMan
In the Mood - Ernie Fields
"Bubbling Under" at #108 in the revised edition of my list.
Post by RocketMan
Miami Vice Theme - Jan Hammer
I'm sorry, but that's is just awful.
Post by RocketMan
Outa Space - Billy Preston
Ditto.
Post by RocketMan
Pick Up The Pieces - Average White Band
That's the last one I eliminated. Came damned close, though.
Post by RocketMan
Soulful Strut - Young-Holt Unlimited
Damn, I forgot about that one! Oh, well. I've revised my list too many times
already.
Post by RocketMan
Space - Billly Preston
Don't know that one, I'm afraid. Is it anywhere nearly as annoying as the
similarly titled "Outa-Space?"
Post by RocketMan
Take Five - Dave Brubeck Quartet
If I had included jazz on my list, that would've made it for sure.
Post by RocketMan
The Deacon's Hop - Big Jay McNeely
Great record from 1949, but I decided not to include anything from before
the '50s.
Post by RocketMan
The 'In' Crowd - Ramsey Lewis
Better than Dobie Gray's original, IMHO.
Post by RocketMan
Tuff - Ace Cannon
Considered this one, but it didn't make the final cut.
Post by RocketMan
Walkin' With Mr Lee - Lee Allen
It's #106 in the final revision.
Post by RocketMan
Yakety Sax - Boots Randolph
Corny.

For those who may have missed it the first time around, here's the link to
my "Favorite Instrumentals" list:

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/goldwax317/my_top_100__rock_randb_instrumentals
Roger Ford
2007-08-03 09:37:35 UTC
Post by RocketMan
I missed commenting on Deans instrumental list. Fine list for sure.
Here's a list of some that he didnt have, that I always enjoy listening
to.
20-75 - Willie Mitchell
30-60-90 - Willie Mitchell
I like these plus several other Mitchell favorites but one I'd
definiterly add is the Northern Soul biggie "The Champion" which AFAIK
was never a USA single (it's on Mitchell's 1966 "Driving Beat" LP on
Hi)
Post by RocketMan
A Walk in the Black Forest - Horst Jankowski
I always hated this tune and when it was out it was guaranteed to have
me reach for the radio dial if it was played
Post by RocketMan
Apache - Jorgen Ingmann (The definitive version)
You gotta be kidding me LOL!!! Better than the Shadows??? Even
comparable with The Shadows???

I don't think so
Post by RocketMan
Asia Minor - Kokomo
I often dig "rocked up classics" and this was one of the best!
Post by RocketMan
Bumble Boogie - B. Bumble & the Stingers
Preferred their "Nut Rocker" tho a #1 record on this side of the pond
Post by RocketMan
Desafinado - Stan Getz & Charlie Bird
Never liked this but I did have a soft spot for the later vocal "Girl
From Ipanema" but partly,I admit based on the lustful plans I had were
I ever to be fortunate enough to be trapped in a lift with Astrud
Gilberto
Post by RocketMan
Exodus - Ferrante & Teicher
One of the very best ever pop piano instrumentals and a great movie
theme
Post by RocketMan
Good, Bad, & Ugly - Hugo Montenegro
Another terrific theme from the third in the classic Fistful movie
trilogy that made Eastwood a superstar
Post by RocketMan
Java - Al Hirt
Sorry but this is another really irritating tune I just hate by
anyone---even in the 1958 Tousan (Allen Toussaint) original
Post by RocketMan
Let There Be Drums - Sandy Nelson
This was always my favorite Sandy Nelson,better than "Teen Beat"
Post by RocketMan
Manhattan Spiritual - Reg Owen and His Orchestra
Has to be one of the best pop instrumentals to come out of Britain in
the 50's
Post by RocketMan
Moonglow and Theme from Picnic - Morris Stoloff & His Orchestra
I remarked on this one yesterday how I liked the way the two tunes
were arranged in counterpoint to complement each other
Post by RocketMan
On the Rebound - Floyd Cramer
His best I think was "Flip,Flop And Bop" but I like this one too
Post by RocketMan
Patricia - Perez Prado
I used to go dancing every week at this time and the "cha cha" was the
hot thing that summer---done to "Patricia" of course (and a little
later "Tea For Two Cha Cha")
Post by RocketMan
Percolator - Billy Joe and The Checkmates
Quirkly little number with the perfect title that I liked enough to go
out and buy when it was out
Post by RocketMan
Rinky Dink - Dave 'Baby' Cortez
Of his two most memorable hits this is my favorite easily beating
the"The Happy Organ",a record whose appeal always eluded me
Post by RocketMan
Route 66 Theme - Nelson Riddle Orchestra
From my favorite TV show of the time
Post by RocketMan
Stranger on the Shore - Mr Acker Bilk
There was recently a big petitition sent into the BBC here asking them
to re-run this 1961 childrens TV series (that the Bilk tune was the
theme from) so we wait to see the outcome. I believe this was only the
second ever British record to top the charts in the USA (after Vera
Lynn's "Auf Weiderseh'n Sweetheart" in 1952)
Post by RocketMan
The Magnificent Seven - Al Caiola & His Orchestra
Well I've seen the boring "Seven Samurai" original and the cracking
"Magnificent Seven" revamp of it and I know which one will always
grace my DVD shelf!! And this memorable theme tune certainly does the
movie justice!
Post by RocketMan
The Theme From A Summer Place - Percy Faith & His Orchestra
Released in mid-1959 this seemed to take forever to first get in---and
then climb---the charts but when it did it became a MONSTER---spending
an absolute eternity in the #1 spot. Still one of my very favorite
movie themes
Post by RocketMan
Tracy's Theme - Spencer Ross
IIRC "Ross" was Columbia arranger & orchestra leader Robert Mersey and
the tune was from a TV version of "The Philadelphia Story" that I
don't remember making it to this side of the pond
Post by RocketMan
Yakety Sax - Boots Randolph
Don't really care for any of Boots Randolph's singles. His true moment
of glory is his magnificent scorching contribution to Elvis' 1960
"Reconsider Baby"

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
y***@yahoo.com
2007-08-03 13:54:39 UTC
Post by RocketMan
I missed commenting on Deans instrumental list. Fine list for sure.
Apache - Jorgen Ingmann (The definitive version)
I don't THINK so, either. I can't think of anyone else around here,
who would prefer or come close to preferring the Ingmann version over
that of the Shadows'. I like your shares here, generally, Rocket,
but you couldn't be more wrong here. Listen again:

Cathy D
2007-08-03 14:34:28 UTC
Post by y***@yahoo.com
Post by RocketMan
I missed commenting on Deans instrumental list. Fine list for sure.
Apache - Jorgen Ingmann (The definitive version)
I don't THINK so, either. I can't think of anyone else around here,
who would prefer or come close to preferring the Ingmann version over
that of the Shadows'.
How about me?! Jorgen's is the definitive version! I love the Shadows'
version (it rocks), but Jorgen's version has an atmospheric feel to it
that the Shadows' version lacks. I really adds to the song.

Cathy :)
e-mail address: cathyd at empire1.net
Naturally the 'at' should be changed! :) The number also needs to be spelled
out. :)

2007-08-04 01:14:50 UTC
Post by y***@yahoo.com
Post by RocketMan
I missed commenting on Deans instrumental list. Fine list for sure.
Apache - Jorgen Ingmann (The definitive version)
I don't THINK so, either. I can't think of anyone else around here,
who would prefer or come close to preferring the Ingmann version over
that of the Shadows'.
-----------------
I do, for one.

DianeE
Robert J. Boyne
2007-08-04 04:39:05 UTC
On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 01:14:50 GMT, "DianeE"
Post by Roger Ford
Post by y***@yahoo.com
Post by RocketMan
I missed commenting on Deans instrumental list. Fine list for sure.
Apache - Jorgen Ingmann (The definitive version)
I don't THINK so, either. I can't think of anyone else around here,
who would prefer or come close to preferring the Ingmann version over
that of the Shadows'.
-----------------
I do, for one.

The Shadows for me, I have both 45s.

Robert me & my shadows.

--
Robert J. Boyne.Tradewinds Real Estate.North Vancouver/British Columbia.Cell.604-644-6973.
" I have the good sense to know that unheard songs are often sweeter".
Home page - www.2realtyguys.com
Roger Ford
2007-08-04 08:58:40 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Post by y***@yahoo.com
Post by RocketMan
I missed commenting on Deans instrumental list. Fine list for sure.
Apache - Jorgen Ingmann (The definitive version)
I don't THINK so, either. I can't think of anyone else around here,
who would prefer or come close to preferring the Ingmann version over
that of the Shadows'.
-----------------
I do, for one.
The Shadows for me, I have both 45s.
This is one of those deals for me like "Mean Woman Blues" or
"Raunchy"-----where the definitive version seems so self evidently and
clearly obvious to me that I'm amazed and have to scratch my head in
puzzlement that anyone could possibly choose another version

Anyway here's the order I rate the main versions of "Apache"

1. THE SHADOWS - 1960

2. THE VENTURES - 1962

3. JORGEN INGMANN - 1960

4. BERT WEEDON - 1960 (the original)

5. SONNY JAMES - 1961

P.S The Chiefs instrumental "Apache" from 1958 (remember it Robert? It
came out in UK on London) is better than ANY of these (save The
Shadows)

Sadly it is a different tune.

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).