Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - November - Preliminary Round - Group 2
2020-11-03 13:45:53 UTC

Out On A Limb - Chuck Carbo

Gettin’ High – The Flairs

Helpless - Solitaires

Do I Need You - The Five Keys

Just For You - Jimmy Witherspoon (Lamplighters)

SavoyBG
2020-11-03 13:46:22 UTC

1. Just For You - Jimmy Witherspoon (Lamplighters)
2. Gettin’ High – The Flairs
3. Out On A Limb - Chuck Carbo
4. Helpless - Solitaires
5. Do I Need You - The Five Keys
Steve Mc

2020-11-03 13:52:16 UTC
Gettin' High - The Flairs - 8
Do I Need You - The Five Keys - 8
Just For You - Jimmy Witherspoon (Lamplighters) - 8
Out On A Limb - Chuck Carbo - 6
Helpless - Solitaires - 5

2020-11-03 13:59:06 UTC
Out On A Limb - Chuck Carbo

CHUCK CARBO (Ace 666) (B+) "OUT ON A LIMB" [Ace BMI.-Rebennack, Carbo]
A swirling organ bit is one of the goodsounding aspects of this
somewhat Latinish blueser from the songster. Date's got both blues &
pop markets merit ("Cash Box" review Oct 26 1963)
Post by SavoyBG
Gettin ' High - The Flairs

As well as multiple appearances by The Diablos and The Spaniels (no
less than THREE in this present contest),The Flairs (including their
other alter egos) must be up there too with the number of different
nominations in these tournaments. To which can now be added the fine
rockin' "Getting' High" with Richard Berry on lead (also in this
contest with multiple appearances) and a solid backing from Ike Turner
& His Band
Post by SavoyBG
Helpless - Solitaires

This disjointed Milton Love-led effort for Old Town is my least
favorite of the four Solitaires tracks released in 1959
Post by SavoyBG
Do I Need You - The Five Keys

Recorded August 6 1951 at WOR Studios in New York this cool ballad had
a Dickie Smith lead. Sadly this lay unissued for decades until finally
included on the "Hucklebuck With Jimmy" compilation album on Lamp
issued in 1997
Post by SavoyBG
Just For You - Jimmy Witherspoon (Lamplighters)

Boss blues man Jimmy Witherspoon here on a nice 1954 collaboration
with The Lamplighters (tho they get no credit or even mention on the
Federal single).

2020-11-03 14:20:26 UTC
1. Gettin' High - The Flairs

2. Just For You - Jimmy Witherspoon (Lamplighters)

3. Do I Need You - The Five Keys

4. Out On A Limb - Chuck Carbo

5. Helpless - Solitaires
md

2020-11-03 15:03:42 UTC
1-Out On A Limb - Chuck Carbo

2-Helpless - Solitaires
As Roger said, this record is kind of disjointed, but Milton Love's
terrific James Brown impression endeared it to me.

3-Just For You - Jimmy Witherspoon (Lamplighters)

4-Gettin’ High – The Flairs

5-Do I Need You - The Five Keys
Beautiful lead singing but toooooooo daaaaaaaaaarn sloooooooow for me.
SavoyBG
2020-11-03 15:06:25 UTC
5-Do I Need You - The Five Keys
Beautiful lead singing
Dickie Smith
Carl
2020-11-03 15:15:12 UTC
1. Just For You - Jimmy Witherspoon (Lamplighters)
2. Out On A Limb - Chuck Carbo
3. Helpless - Solitaires
4. Gettin High - The Flairs
5. Do I Need You - The Five Keys
Dennis C from Tennessee
2020-11-03 15:29:42 UTC
1- Solitaires- what a ensemble mix!! Western guitar with some tortured soul burning!! Different! I like it!

2- Chuck Carbo- Lose the organ Dr. John!!
Otherwise, smooth record with Carbo's vocals standing out!

3- The Lamplighters- another commanding vocal here that makes up for the asthmatic sax break!

4- Flairs- Should be titled "Done got tire down already" instead of Gettin' High"

5- Five Keys- You should practice your voice scales BEFORE the red light goes on, baby!!
Rick Schubert
2020-11-03 17:46:13 UTC
1. Helpless - Solitaires
2. Gettin’ High - The Flairs

MUCH better than yesterday.
SavoyBG
2020-11-03 19:18:31 UTC
FINAL RANKINGS - same as Steve and me.

1. Just For You - Jimmy Witherspoon (Lamplighters) - 35
2. Gettin’ High – The Flairs - 30 (5-4)
3. Out On A Limb - Chuck Carbo - 30
4. Helpless - Solitaires - 24

5. Do I Need You - The Five Keys - 16

My Spoon wins the group comfortably. Jim's Flairs wins the 5-4 tie breaker for second with Diane's CC third. Rick's Taires take 4th and advance. Roger's unissued Keys is done.