Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - March - FINAL FOUR
2020-03-24 13:24:41 UTC
The Final Four is now open. Please rank these from best to worst.

Hey Little Girl - Frankie Lee Sims

Rain Or Shine - Big Mike

Big Town Playboy - Eddie Taylor

Ooh Bah Baby - Midnighters

SavoyBG
2020-03-24 13:26:09 UTC

1. Big Town Playboy - Eddie Taylor
2. Rain Or Shine - Big Mike
3. Hey Little Girl - Frankie Lee Sims
4. Ooh Bah Baby - Midnighters (Diane)
DianeE
2020-03-24 13:33:15 UTC
Four terrific records, no question!

1-Big Town Playboy - Eddie Taylor
2-Ooh Bah Baby - Midnighters
3-Hey Little Girl - Frankie Lee Sims
4-Rain Or Shine - Big Mike
Dennis C
2020-03-24 13:37:35 UTC
1- Midnighters

2- Frankie Lee Sims

3- Eddie Taylor

4- Big Mike
Rick Schubert
2020-03-24 13:41:10 UTC
The Final Four is now open. Please rank these from best to worst.
1. Ooh Bah Baby - Midnighters
2. Rain Or Shine - Big Mike
3. Big Town Playboy - Eddie Taylor
4. Hey Little Girl - Frankie Lee Sims
Jim Colegrove
2020-03-24 13:47:11 UTC
1-Big Town Playboy - Eddie Taylor

2-Hey Little Girl - Frankie Lee Sims

3-Rain Or Shine - Big Mike

4-Ooh Bah Baby - Midnighters
Steve Mc
2020-03-24 14:13:41 UTC
1- Hey Little Girl - Frankie Lee Sims

2- Rain Or Shine - Big Mike

3- Big Town Playboy - Eddie Taylor

4- Ooh Bah Baby - Midnighters

2020-03-24 14:00:27 UTC
The Final Four is now open. Please rank these from best to worst.
Big Town Playboy - Eddie Taylor
Rain Or Shine - Big Mike
Hey Little Girl - Frankie Lee Sims
Ooh Bah Baby - Midnighters

Notice where my own nomination winds up :)

2020-03-24 14:46:42 UTC
1. Rain Or Shine - Big Mike
2. Ooh Bah Baby - Midnighters
SavoyBG
2020-03-24 15:54:13 UTC

1. Big Town Playboy - Eddie Taylor - 25
2. Rain Or Shine - Big Mike - 23
3. Ooh Bah Baby - Midnighters - 22
4. Hey Little Girl - Frankie Lee Sims - 20

BRUCIE WINS!

It took a year, but I finally got my second win. And it's extra sweet to win with a blues record.

Carl takes second with a great Savoy record. Diane avenges an earlier loss to Sims as her Midnighters takes third, and Roger's Sims is 4th.

Great tournament, folks, lotta very good records.
Mark Dintenfass
2020-03-24 18:59:04 UTC
Diane avenges an earlier loss to Sims as her Midnighters takes third, and
Roger's Sims is 4th.
So I'm not the only one who can change his reactions to a record on
different days.
2020-03-24 18:59:35 UTC
Great tournament, folks, lotta very good records.
Yes, it was one of the best bunches we've seen.
2020-03-24 19:37:25 UTC
I only found one unabashed ripoff in the entire bunch but the astute and responsible voters took care of that shit!!
Otherwise, an excellent group of entries, baby!!
SavoyBG
2020-03-24 21:04:18 UTC
If you had read the discussion you would have seen that Jessie Knight's record was recorded about 6 weeks before "Shake, Rattle And Roll" was released, and just one week after the Turner was recorded. So it certainly was not any ripoff.
RWC
Please, for this contest, what defines an "Obscure" 1950s Era Recording?
Dennis C
2020-03-25 07:14:01 UTC
ALL THAT MATTERS IS WHAT COMES OUT OF BRUCE'S SPEAKERS,BABY!!!
DianeE
2020-03-25 10:55:00 UTC
1. Big Town Playboy - Eddie Taylor - 25
2. Rain Or Shine - Big Mike - 23
3. Ooh Bah Baby - Midnighters - 22
4. Hey Little Girl - Frankie Lee Sims - 20
Please, for this contest, what defines an "Obscure" 1950s Era Recording?
-----------
*For this contest*, "obscure" means "not included in any of Roger's
Battles."

A record could have been a charted hit or a fairly well-known classic,
but if Roger somehow missed it, and the rest of us failed to nominate it
at the time, it qualifies for the current tournament.

If you want a PDF file of all the records that *were* in Roger's
Battles, post your e-mail address and I will send it to you.
SavoyBG
You would think that Geoff would know this given that he was in the tournament for like 3 months before he took his turntable and went home.
Dennis C
2020-03-25 15:22:05 UTC
He might very well turn the tables and come back, baby!!
DianeE
2020-03-25 23:38:57 UTC
He might very well turn the tables and come back, baby!!
--------------
Another good one Denny!

RWC
2020-03-25 16:21:58 UTC
You would think that Geoff would know this given that he was in the tournament for like 3 months.
So long ago, I didn't realise it was the same contest.
RWC
2020-03-25 16:50:47 UTC
Please, for this contest, what defines an "Obscure" 1950s Era Recording?
-----------
*For this contest*, "obscure" means "not included in any of Roger's
Battles."
A record could have been a charted hit or a fairly well-known classic,
but if Roger somehow missed it, and the rest of us failed to nominate it
at the time, it qualifies for the current tournament.
If you want a PDF file of all the records that *were* in Roger's
Battles, post your e-mail address and I will send it to you.
Many thanks Diane. But because of Bruce's comment, I now realise that I have a
list of records from Roger's Battles, by artist name and by song title
(*instantly* found, on my Windows 10 pc with several attached usb drives, by
using the brilliant and free, file searching app, "Everything".)

However, one now has to add the many artist-songs that have been nominated for
each month of this successful contest.
DianeE
2020-03-25 19:54:02 UTC
[...]
------------
Rick has compiled a list of those and updates and posts it every month.
As soon as the April selections have been completed he will do it again.
Roger Ford
2020-03-25 14:03:25 UTC
1. Big Town Playboy - Eddie Taylor - 25
2. Rain Or Shine - Big Mike - 23
3. Ooh Bah Baby - Midnighters - 22
4. Hey Little Girl - Frankie Lee Sims - 20
Please, for this contest, what defines an "Obscure" 1950s Era Recording?
Any on topic recording--not in any of the Battles--that is unlikely to
beat my best nomination!