Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - May - Round 1 - Group 6
2020-05-15 13:03:31 UTC

2020-05-15 13:04:11 UTC

2020-05-15 13:20:26 UTC

2020-05-15 13:15:50 UTC

2020-05-15 13:24:47 UTC
2020-05-15 13:28:16 UTC
2020-05-15 14:04:46 UTC
2020-05-15 14:09:01 UTC

2020-05-15 14:22:19 UTC

Rick Schubert
2020-05-15 15:59:10 UTC
1. It Must Have Been Love - Earl King
2. Mean Old World - Johnny Fuller
3. She's Got No Hair - Arthur Crudup
4. Ballin' Keen - Bobby & Terry Caraway
SavoyBG
2020-05-15 18:34:26 UTC

1. She's Got No Hair - Arthur Crudup - 25
2. It Must Have Been Love - Earl King - 23

3. Mean Old World - Johnny Fuller - 21 (5-4)
4. Ballin' Keen - Bobby & Terry Caraway - 21

Steve's bald girl wins the group with Diane's King second and both move into the SWEET SIXTEEN. My Fuller edges Roger's rocker in a tie breaker for third, but both are out.
DianeE
2020-05-15 20:16:13 UTC
1. She's Got No Hair - Arthur Crudup - 25
2. It Must Have Been Love - Earl King - 23
3. Mean Old World - Johnny Fuller - 21 (5-4)
4. Ballin' Keen - Bobby & Terry Caraway - 21
Steve's bald girl wins the group with Diane's King second and both move into the SWEET SIXTEEN. My Fuller edges Roger's rocker in a tie breaker for third, but both are out.
-----------
Well, this is a nice surprise. When I checked the group earlier it
seemed my record had a bunch of last place votes. I was gritting my
teeth expecting it to be beaten by that awful (my opinion) rockabilly
record.
DianeE
2020-05-15 20:18:14 UTC
My rockabilly rating system: The more it sounds like Carl Perkins'
"Boppin' The Blues" or Johnny Burnette's "Honey Hush," the more I like
it. Or, going in the other direction, the more it sounds like Hank
Williams/George Jones/Ray Price/Buck Owens, the more I like it. The
more it sounds like a garage job without even an interesting break, the
less I like it.
Also--and this is true for doowopp as well as for RAB--if there's no
emotion in the singing, the less I like it.
I just recently heard "Corinna Corinna" by Charlie Feathers for the
first time. Love it!
RWC
2020-05-16 00:45:17 UTC
...The more it sounds like a garage job without even an interesting break, the less I like it...
Bill Bugge: ..., the more I hate it... :-)

I suppose then, you're not a fan of The Ramones, an American punk rock
band that formed in the New York City neighborhood of Forest Hills,
Queens in 1974.
Roger could have bopped, or headbanged, to them at the Hammersmith
Palais, around 1980 :-)

20 Greatest Hits

One fave song of mine is "Sheena Is A Punk Rocker", released in the
summer of 1977, and found on the Ramones' third studio album "Rocket
To Russia". Other faves include, "Rock 'N' Roll High School", "Do You
Remember Rock 'N Roll Radio", "Rockaway Beach", "I Wanna Be Sedated"
and the relatively cruisy "The KKK Took My Baby Away".
They actually did a respectable (imo) version of The Ronette's 1963
"Baby, I Love You" - on their 1980 "End Of The Century" album