1951 SINGLES BATTLE-ROUND 1-PART 1 - RESULTS!!
2008-12-30 08:55:54 UTC
Here are the results of Round 1 - Part 1 of the 1951 Singles Battle.
27 people voted
18 Amos Milburn - Let's Rock Awhile - Aladdin 3080
5 Sarah Vaughan - I Ran All The Way Home - Columbia 39576
First winner is good ol' Amos who'll be around to rock a while longer
WINNER : MILBURN
5 Tony Bennett - I Won't Cry Anymore - Columbia 39362
17 The Swallows - Dearest - King 4458
Decisive win for The Swallows to take them into Round 2
WINNER : SWALLOWS
15 Hank Williams - Dear John - M-G-M 10904
7 Kay Starr & Tennessee Ernie - Oceans Of Tears - Capitol 1567
It's that man again!! Who'll probably have more entries still in the
contest come the later rounds than anyone else
WINNER : HANK
5 Eddie Fisher - Tell Me Why - RCA 47-4444
17 Lowell Fulson - I'm A Night Owl - Swing Time 243
Decent Fulson number gets the win and sees him into Round 2
WINNER : FULSON
6 The Five Hollywood Bluejays - Cloudy And Raining - Recorded In Hollywood 185
15 Arthur Prysock - I Didn't Sleep A Wink Last Night - Decca 27871
Suprisingly big win for Prysock here
WINNER : PRYSOCK
15 Camille Howard - Money Blues - Specialty 401
6 Stan Kenton - September Song - Capitol 1480
Nice win for Roy Milton's pianna player here with one of her very
best!
WINNER : CAMILLE
0 Frank Sinatra & Dagmar - Mama Will Bark - Columbia 39425
22 Johnny Otis - All Nite Long - Savoy 788
By the scale of the vote I guess everyone remembered "Mama Will
Bark" :)
WINNER : OTIS
13 Lefty Frizzell - Always Late (With Your Kisses) - Columbia 20837
9 Big Jay McNeely - Insect Ball - Imperial 5130
Making sure Hank W. will have a little country company in Round 2
WINNER : LEFTY
16 Fats Domino - Right From Wrong - Imperial 5138
7 Perry Como - If - RCA 47-3997
Como's No 1 hit goes down in flames to Fats!
WINNER : FATS
9 Carl Smith - If Teardrops Were Pennies - Columbia 20825
14 Kay Starr - Come On-A My House - Capitol 1710
Good win for Starr here lets see how Rosie does with her version in
Part 2
WINNER : STARR
18 B.B King - She's Dynamite - RPM 323
3 Jimmy Grissom - Once There Lived a Fool - Recorded In Hollywood 143
Tremendous win for B.B here bodes well for the Tampa Red version
coming in Part 2
WINNER : B.B
14 Rufus Thomas Jr - Night Walkin' Blues - Chess 1466
4 The Royals - If You Love Me - Okeh 6832
I don't actually have the Rufus Thomas song (tho I used to) nor does
it seem to be currently available so I'm wondering how it picked up
the other 13 votes? :)
WINNER : THOMAS
15 Milton Buckner - Red,Red Wine - Savoy 785
8 Doris Day - The Lullaby Of Broadway - Columbia 39197
One of the unsung gems on Grandpappy Herman's Savoy wins here
WINNER : BUCKNER
9 Lucky Millinder (voc Anisteen Allen) - Bongo Boogie - King 4453
14 Smiley Lewis - Bee's Boogie - Imperial 5124
Nice win for Smiley against good competition too
WINNER : SMILEY
15 The Mello Moods - Where Are You (Now That I Need You) - Robin 105
5 The Ravens - Lilacs In The Rain - National 9148
For my money the winner is one of the VERY BEST vocal group efforts in
the whole contest!!!
WINNER : MELLO MOODS
14 Tillman Franks - Hot Rod-Shotgun Boogie No 2 - Gotham 7412
4 Stan Freberg - That's My Boy - Capitol 1711
Proto-rockabilly scores a victory as Tillman Franks (Faron Young
actually) hot rods his way into Round 2
WINNER : FRANKS
13 Johnnie Ray - The Little White Cloud That Cried - Okeh 6840
7 The Victorians - Don't Break My Heart Again - Specialty 411
Methinks that this particular little white cloud has a deal more
crying to do before this contest is over
WINNER : RAY
6 Billy Briggs - Chew Tobacco Rag - Imperial 8104
15 The Clovers - Needless - Atlantic 944
Convincing win for the Clovers flipside
WINNER : CLOVERS
16 Ray Charles - Baby Let Me Hold Your Hand - Swing Time 250
3 Al Hibbler - The Blues Come Falling Down - Atlantic 925
Ray gets to hold his baby's hand all the way into Round 2
WINNER : RAY
20 The Five Keys - Glory Of Love - Aladdin 3099
6 Bing Crosby & Jane Wyman - In The Cool,Cool,Cool Of The Evening - Decca 27678
The Keys get the first of what I predict will be many victories here
WINNER : KEYS
8 Amos Milburn - Everybody Clap Hands - Aladdin 3090
16 Hank Snow - Rhumba Boogie - RCA 48-0431
He had a win earlier but Amos crashes here to the big Snow C&W hit
WINNER : SNOW
19 The Four Buddies - Heart And Soul - Savoy 817
3 Eddie Fisher - Turn Back The Hands Of Time - RCA 47-4257
Big win for the Buddies give them a solid place in Round 2
WINNER : BUDDIES
18 Howlin' Wolf - How Many More Years - Chess 1479
4 B.B King - Don't You Want A Man Like Me - RPM 318
In this battle of the blues Chester comes out the champ!
WINNER : WOLF
19 Nat "King" Cole - Red Sails In The Sunset - Capitol 1468
3 Ralph Flanagan - The Blues From "An American In Paris" - RCA 47-4247
Good win for Nat with his very overlooked version of "Red Sails"
WINNER : NAT
6 Tab Smith - Because Of You - United 104
16 Joe Turner - Bump Miss Susie - Atlantic 949
My favorite JT of the year scores heavily against Smith's big R&B hit
WINNER : TURNER
5 Tony Martin - Over A Bottle Of Wine - RCA 47-4220
15 Paula Watson - Pretty Papa Blues - Swing Time 252
Paula makes Diane's day with a nice win taking her into Round 2
WINNER : PAULA
0 Carolina Cotton - You Always Keep Me In Hot Water - MGM 11130
22 Tiny Bradshaw - The Train Kept A-Rollin' - King 4497
Poor Carolina was always on a huge loser here as Tiny's train squashes
her flat
WINNER : BRADSHAW
16 The Ames Brothers - Undecided - Coral 60566
1 Gloria De Haven - Because Of You - Decca 27666
Huge win for one of the better pop songs of the era
WINNER : AMES BROS
11 Tennessee Ernie Ford - Mr And Mississippi - Capitol 1521
11 Johnny Horton - Candy Jones - Abbott 100
First draw of the round and since I voted Ernie..........
WINNER : HORTON
3 Perry Como - Zing Zing Zoom Zoom - RCA 47-3997
21 The Five Keys - Hucklebuck With Jimmy - Aladdin 3099
One of the Keys best ever flipsides destroys Como here
WINNER : KEYS
4 Ella Fitzgerald - Smooth Sailing - Decca 27693
22 The Larks - My Reverie - Apollo 1184
Here's another vocal group number I expect to go most if not all of
the way
WINNER : LARKS
2 Sticks McGhee - Tennessee Waltz Blues - Atlantic 926
20 Peppermint Harris - I Got Loaded - Aladdin 3097
Sticks' famous instrumental comes a cropper to Peppermint's No 1 R&B
hit
WINNER : HARRIS
15 Cecil Gant - Rock Little Baby - Decca 48200
10 Tommy Edwards - The Morningside Of The Mountain - MGM 10989
One of Gant's better efforts wins the day here against Tommy's
original of his own hit
WINNER : GANT
11 The Cardinals - I'll Always Love You - Atlantic 952
10 Charles Brown - Seven Long Days - Aladdin 3092
Narrow victory for the Cardinals takes them into Round 2
WINNER : CARDINALS
6 Helen O' Connell & Dean Martin - How D'Ya Like Your Eggs - Capitol 1575
10 April Stevens - I'm In Love Again - RCA 47-4148
Win for April sans bro Nino. Fats did this so much better tho :)
WINNER : APRIL
17 Smokey Hogg - Penitentiary Blues - Recorded In Hollywood 170
3 Buddy Lucas - Diane - Jubilee 5070
With this win Smokey ensures he'll be in that penitentiary a little
longer
WINNER : HOGG
14 Billy Wright - Stacked Deck - Savoy 781
12 The Weavers - Kisses Sweeter Than Wine - Decca 27670
Tight win for Richard's mentor here
WINNER : WRIGHT
19 The Swallows - Roll,Roll Pretty Baby - King 4515
6 Frankie Laine & Jo Stafford - Hey Good Lookin' - Columbia 39570
Chalk up win No 2 for The Swallows!!!
WINNER : SWALLOWS
14 Louis Armstrong - When It's Sleepy Time Down South - Decca 27899
11 Lloyd Glenn - Chica-Boo - Swing Time 254
It may not be the best version of the song he ever did but Satch takes
this "Sleepy Time" into Round 2
WINNER : SATCH
8 Johnnie & Jack - Crying Heart Blues - RCA 48-0478
9 Roy Hogsed - Snake Dance Boogie - Capitol 1854
The narrowest of wins puts Hogsed into the next round
WINNER : HOGSED
15 The Dominoes - Harbor Lights - Federal 12010
9 Johnny Hodges - Castle Rock - Mercury 8944
Victory for the Dominoes with my favorite version of a favorite song
WINNER : DOMINOES
2 Honey Brown - Rockin' And Jumpin' - Derby 761
18 Roy Byrd - Hey Little Girl - Atlantic 947
Longhair wins the day here with his version of the much recorded
number
WINNER : BYRD
5 The Hollywood Four Flames - She's Got Something - Recorded In Hollywood 164
17 Luke The Drifter - Rambling Man - M-G-M 11120
I've had mail saying that this song should be credited to Hank
Williams but the record was originally out under his Luke The Drifter
alter ego
WINNER : LUKE THE DRIFTER
5 Patti Page - Would I Love You (Love You,Love You) - Mercury 5571
16 Pee Wee King - Slow Poke - RCA 48-0489
One of the biggest country crossovers of the era scores big here
WINNER : KING
18 Big Jay McNeely - All That Wine Is Gone - Imperial 5115
2 Freddie Mitchell - Hot Ice - Derby 777
One side of a great McNeely double sider takes the honors here
WINNER : McNEELY
7 Georgia Gibbs - Cry - Mercury 5749
14 Perry Como & The Fontane Sisters - It's Beginning To Look Like Christmas - RCA 47-4314
Personally I think Christmas looks less and less like Christmas every
year
WINNER : COMO/FONTANES
20 The Larks - Eyesight To The Blind - Apollo 427
6 The Ink Spots - If - Decca 27391
Win No 2 (yes my hash key ain't working :) for the Larks
WINNER : LARKS
19 Tiny Bradshaw - Knockin' Blues - King 4497
5 Nat "King" Cole - Because Of Rain - Capitol 1501
Likewise for Tiny Bradshaw too!
WINNER : BRADSHAW
7 Joe Morris & Laurie Tate - Don't Take Your Love From Me - Atlantic 923
15 Percy Mayfield - Lost Love - Specialty 390
Decent win for Percy's followup ro "Please Send Me Someone To Love"
(that will appear in the 1950 contest)
WINNER : MAYFIELD
16 Roy Hawkins - The Thrill Is Gone - Modern 826
7 Bob Wills - The Last Goodbye - M-G-M 11082
Hawkins' hit original of the B.B/Aretha number sends Wills out of the
contest
WINNER : HAWKINS
11 Louis Jordan - Teardrops From My Eyes - Decca 27428
11 Wynonie Harris - Tremblin' - King 4448
Another draw....and cancelling my vote means a weak Jordan effort goes
through......
WINNER : JORDAN
9 Frankie Laine - Jalousie - Columbia 39585
15 Little Richard - Taxi Blues - RCA 47-4392
Richard's ode to the finest profession there is wins the day here
WINNER : RICHARD
3 The Orioles - Happy Go Lucky Local Blues - Jubilee 5055
18 Brownie McGhee - I'm Gonna Move Across The River - Derby 776
Very good win for Brownie here given the competition (both these are
great!)
WINNER : BROWNIE
17 The Five Keys - It's Christmas Time - Aladdin 3113
4 Betty Hutton - Murder He Says - RCA 47-4179
The Keys just can't lose in this round!
WINNER : KEYS
17 Les Paul & Mary Ford - The World Is Waiting For The Sunrise - Capitol 1748
7 The Majors - You Ran Away With My Heart - Derby 763
One of the best pop hits of the year makes its presence felt
WINNER PAUL/FORD
15 Earl Bostic - Flamingo - King 4475
6 Ray Anthony - At Last - Capitol 1678
As does one of the best instrumentals of the year
WINNER : BOSTIC
14 Fats Domino - No No Baby - Imperial 5138
7 Martha Carson - Satisfied - Capitol 1900
Yes Yes Fats!
WINNER : FATS
9 Lefty Frizzell - Mom And Dad's Waltz - Columbia 20837
12 Eunice Davis - Rock Little Daddy - Derby 752
After a win earlier Lefty comes unstuck to Davis' R&B ditty
WINNER : EUNICE
5 The Voices Of Walter Schumann - They Call The Wind Maria - Capitol 1812
18 Little Esther & The Dominoes - The Deacon Moves In - Federal 12016
Great win for a great record! Esther & The Dominoes!!
WINNER : ESTHER/DOMINOES
11 Lou Sargent - Ridin' The Boogie - Chess 1465
9 Guy Mitchell - My Truly, Truly Fair - Columbia 39415
Strange result here as famous Mitchell hit goes down to Sargent's
instrumental that I don't remember ever being mentioned on this
newsgroup before
WINNER : SARGENT
7 The Falcons - How Blind Can You Be - Regent 1041
14 Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup - I'm Gonna Dig Myself A Hole - RCA 50-0141
And that hole Crudup's digging will lead right into Round 2
WINNER : CRUDUP
20 Sonny Boy Williamson - Pontiac Blues - Trumpet 145
4 Frank Sinatra & Harry James - Castle Rock - Columbia 39527
Terrific win for Sonny Boy against formidable pop opposition
WINNER : SONNY BOY
16 The Five Royales - Give Me One More Chance - Apollo 434
6 Nat "King" Cole - Always You - Capitol 1401
And that's exactly what the Royales get! One more chance
WINNER : ROYALES
15 The Clovers - Skylark - Atlantic 934
8 Sarah Vaughan - These Things I Offer You - Columbia 39370
Another bout....another flipside....another Clovers win
WINNER : CLOVERS
13 Leroy Anderson - Blue Tango - Decca 27875
9 Vaughn Monroe - Sound Off (The Duckworth Chant) - RCA 47-4113
Win for Anderson's huge pop hit that was never off the radio here
WINNER : ANDERSON
3 Patty Anne & The Flames - The Bounce - Fidelity 3002
10 The Marshall Brothers - Mister Santa's Boogie - Savoy 825
Very good but overlooked Xmas offering wins the prize here
WINNER : MARSHALLS
9 Chubby Newsome - Where's the Money, Honey - Regal 3319
12 Patti Page - Mockin' Bird Hill - Mercury 5595
Patti's big pop hit gets the win
WINNER : PATTI
12 Calvin Boze - Beal Street On Saturday Night - Aladdin 3079
6 Billy Wright - Keep Your Hands On Your Heart - Savoy 776
Decisive win for Boze which is just as well since it turns out the
Wright record was actually out in 1950 and should'nt have been here
WINNER : BOZE
5 The Four Buddies - My Summer's Gone - Savoy 789
21 Nat "King" Cole - Unforgettable - Capitol 1689
A song and a performance that truly lives up to its name.Unforgettable
indeed!
WINNER : NAT
19 Red Foley - Alabama Jubilee - Decca 27810
5 Billy Eckstine - If - MGM 10896
Hokey Foley country hit gets the victory into Round 2
WINNER : FOLEY
15 The Griffin Brothers - Weeping And Crying - Dot 1071
6 Eddie Fisher - I'll Hold You In My Heart - RCA 47-4191
If anyone's doing the weepin' and cryin' it must be Eddie Fisher who's
not having a good time of it at all in this contest
WINNER : GRIFFINS
15 The Ravens - I Get All My Lovin' On A Saturday Night - Okeh 6825
6 Jo Stafford - Somebody - Columbia 39389
Big win for the Ravens sees them into the next round
WINNER : RAVENS
12 The Four Knights - Cry - Capitol 1875
5 Frankie Laine - Girl In The Wood - Columbia 39489
Looks like there'll be two versions of "Cry" in Round 2
WINNER : KNIGHTS
9 The Heartbreakers - Heartbreaker - RCA 4327
9 The Dreamers - These Things I Miss - Jubilee 5053
Another draw. I voted Heartbreakers........
WINNER : DREAMERS
10 Dinah Washington - Fine, Fine Daddy - Mercury 8232
11 Rosco Gordon - Ouch Pretty Baby - RPM 324
Says Rosco as he narrowly squeezes past Dinah here
WINNER : ROSCO
9 The Five Keys - With A Broken Heart - Aladdin 3085
12 Bull Moose Jackson - Cherokee Boogie - King 4472
Rare defeat for the Keys as Bull Moose mows 'em down here
WINNER : BULL MOOSE
20 Elmo James - Dust My Broom - Trumpet 146
1 Cliffie Stone - Jump Rope Boogie - Capitol 1496
Near shut out for Elmo(re) with his definitive 'Dust My Broom"
WINNER : ELMO
13 Blow Top Lynn & The House Rockers - Come Back My Darlin' - RCA 47-4328
7 Tex Ritter - Let Me Go, Devil - Capitol 1698
The overlooked and under rated Lynn pulls off a good win here
WINNER : LYNN
14 H-Bomb Ferguson - Rock H-Bomb Rock - Atlas 1001
5 Rosemary Clooney - Suzy Snowflake - Columbia 39612
The mighty H-Bomb blows poor Rosie away
WINNER : H-BOMB
11 Tommy Brown - House Near The Railroad Track - Acorn 318
10 The Five Keys - Old MacDonald - Aladdin 3113
Brown's excellent flipside just pips the Keys here
WINNER : BROWN
17 Hank Williams - Crazy Heart - M-G-M 11054
5 Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson - Featherbed Mama - King 4442
I think I'm gonna need a special key on here that says WINNER : HANK
when you press it
WINNER : HANK
17 Joe Turner - The Chill Is On - Atlantic 949
6 Buddy & Ella Johnson - No More Love - Decca 27416
The flipside on this got through earlier...now Joe's mighty topside
joins it
WINNER : TURNER
6 Guy Mitchell - Sparrow In The Tree Top - Columbia 39190
10 Dinah Shore - Sweet Violets - RCA 47-4174
Guy's not having much luck here as Dinah trounces him in this bout
WINNER : DINAH
10 The Dominoes - I Can't Escape From You - Federal 12022
8 The Ray-O-Vacs - My Baby's Gone - Decca 48221
Another win for The Dominoes
WINNER : DOMINOES
10 Debbie Reynolds & Carleton Carpenter - Aba Daba Honeymoon - MGM 30282
6 Charlie Singleton - Elephant Rock - Decca 48193
Yaba Daba Daba Daba!
WINNER REYNOLDS/CARPENTER
16 Bill Haley & The Saddlemen - Rocket 88 - Holiday 105
6 Savannah Churchill - (It's No) Sin - RCA 47-4280
Predictable win for Haley & the not-yet Comets
WINNER : HALEY
15 Eddy Arnold - When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again - RCA 47-4243
9 Johnnie Lee Wills & His Boys - I Needed You - Bullet 726
Hey Mark THIS is the one that was worth waiting for by Elvis :)
WINNER : EDDY
5 Luke The Drifter - Men With Broken Hearts - M-G-M 10932
19 Wynonie Harris - Lovin' Machine - King 4485
Wynonie's best of the year inficts rare defeat on HW
WINNER : WYNONIE
3 The Andrews Sisters - A Penny A Kiss,A Penny A Hug - Decca 27414
21 Jackie Brenston & His Delta Cats - Juiced - Chess 1472
Huge win for Brenston,Love & co sends the Andrews out of the contest
WINNER : BRENSTON
10 John Greer - Got You On My Mind - RCA 20-4348
9 Amos Milburn - Tears, Tears, Tears - Aladdin 3080
Narrow squeak for Greer's nice original of the R&B standard
WINNER : GREER
8 The Treniers - Old Woman Blues - Okeh 6826
9 Jimmy Witherspoon - I Gotta Gal Lives Upon A Hill - Modern 808
Witherspoon gets a win over one of the Treniers' better records
WINNER : WITHERSPOON
15 Jimmy Liggins - That's What's Knocking Me Out - Specialty 418
4 The Four Buddies - Don't Leave Me Now - Savoy 779
Liggins scores the knockout to put him into Round 2
WINNER : LIGGINS
10 Joe Morris - Yeah, Yeah, Yeah - Atlantic 931
10 Les Paul & Mary Ford - Jingle Bells - Capitol 1881
Yet another draw. My vote was for Joe Morris............
WINNER : PAUL
11 Lil' Son Jackson - Mister Blues - Imperial 5131
9 H-Bomb Ferguson - Good Lovin' - Savoy 830
This H-Bomb becomes a damp squib as Jackson takes the honors
WINNER : JACKSON
15 J.B & His Bayou Playboys - Korea Blues - Chess 1449
6 The Ames Brothers - Wang Wang Blues - Coral 60489
Blues is having a good day here so far and Lenoir keeps up the winning
run
WINNER : LENOIR
6 Grant "Mr Blues" Jones - I'd Rather Drink Muddy Water - Decca 48192
14 Fats Domino - Sometimes I Wonder - Imperial 5123
Another entry in Round 2 for Fats
WINNER : FATS
10 The Bell Sisters - Bermuda - RCA 47-4422
8 Jimmy Wakely - Beautiful Brown Eyes - Capitol 1393
The Bell Sisters score with their big pop hit
WINNER : BELLS
7 Florian Zabach - The Hot Canary - Decca 27509
15 Sonny Til - For All We Know - Jubilee 5066
Til's nice version gets the win to see him iin Round 2
WINNER : TIL
24 Hank Williams - Hey Good Lookin' - M-G-M 11000
2 The Robins - School Girl Blues - Recorded In Hollywood 150
Huge win for the record that just may win this whole thing
WINNER : HANK
10 Roy Brown - Big Town - DeLuxe 3318
12 Earl Bostic - Sleep - King 4444
Chalk up another win for teetotaller Earl aka Beerless Bostic (groan)
WINNER : BOSTIC
15 Tony Bennett - Blue Velvet - Columbia 39555
6 The Four Dots - My Dear - Dot 1043
Bennett takes his original "Blue Velvet" into Round 2
WINNER : BENNETT
5 James Moody - I'm In The Mood For Love - Prestige 703
17 The Soul Stirrers - Peace In The Valley - Specialty 802
Nice to see the Stirrers beautiful version get thru
WINNER : SOUL STIRRERS
15 The Swallows - Will You Be Mine - King 4458
8 The Weavers & Terry Gilkyson - On Top Of Old Smoky - Decca 27515
That makes it THREE for The Swallows!
WINNER : SWALLOWS
18 Rosco Gordon - Booted - Chess 1487
3 Lucky Millinder - Chew Tobacco Rag - King 4449
Decisive win for Rosco's biggest hit of the year
WINNER : ROSCO
4 Tony Martin - I Get Ideas - RCA 47-4141
13 Big Jeff & The Radio Playboys - Step It Up And Go - Dot 1058
Nice win for Big Jeff whose record I did'nt think would be that well
known
WINNER : BIG JEFF
16 Fats Domino - Rocking Chair - Imperial 5145
3 Bill Johnson & The Stir Cats - Too Late - Imperial 5148
Well Fats will be in Round 2 in abundance!
WINNER : FATS
14 B.B King - B.B. Blues - RPM 323
3 Goldie Boots & The Falcons - I Can't Tell You Now - Regent 1041
With a landslide win B.B tips Goldie Boots and co out
WINNER : B.B
16 John Lee Hooker - I'm In The Mood - Modern 835
6 Chuck Willis - I Tried - Okeh 6810
Hooker's certainly in winning mood here over the luckless Willis
WINNER : HOOKER
4 Tony Bennett - Solitaire - Columbia 39555
19 Ruth Brown - I'll Wait For You - Atlantic 930
Yep Ruth will be waiting for us in Round 2
WINNER : RUTH
4 Lil Green - Every Time - Atlantic 951
17 Willie Brown - Cadillac Boogie - Decca 48248
One of my favorites in the contest gets the win here
WINNER : BROWN
8 Frank Sinatra - I'm A Fool To Want You - Columbia 39425
15 Hank Thompson - Green Light - Capitol 1632
Suprised that Sinatra didn't do better here
WINNER : THOMPSON
9 Eddy Arnold - I Wanna Play House With You - RCA 48-0476
14 Steve Gibson & The Red Caps - Boogie Woogie On Saturday Night - RCA 47-4294
One of Dean's 1951 favorites goes thru to the next round
WINNER : GIBSON/RED CAPS
19 Fats Domino - Don't You Lie To Me - Imperial 5123
2 Tiny Bradshaw - Two Dry Bones On The Pantry Shelf - King 4447
My favorite Fats of the year join the rest of his winners in Round 2
WINNER : FATS
10 Stan Freberg - John And Marsha - Capitol 1356
13 The Carlisles - Too Old To Cut The Mustard - Mercury 6348
Another country victory as the Carlisles do the honors
WINNER : CARLISLES
13 Jack Dupree - Deacon's Party - Apollo 426
6 Jimmy Murphy - Big Mama Blues - RCA 48-0474
He had his fair share of really good records and heres another one
WINNER : DUPREE
18 The Blenders - The Masquerade Is Over - Decca 27403
4 Les Baxter - Because Of You - Capitol 1493
Not my favorite version of the song but The Blenders carry it into the
next round
WINNER : BLENDERS
4 Mario Lanza - The Loveliest Night Of The Year - RCA 49-3300
15 Floyd Dixon - Telephone Blues - Aladdin 3075
Hello operator? Tell that nice Mr Dixon he's thru to Round 2
WINNER : DIXON
23 Les Paul & Mary Ford - How High The Moon - Capitol 1451
2 Lonnie Johnson - You Only Want Me When You're Lonely - King 4473
The pop record that may go farthest in this competition
WINNER : PAUL/FORD
9 Jackie Brenston & His Delta Cats - In My Real Gone Rocket - Chess 1469
16 Hank Williams - I Can't Help It - M-G-M 10961
Here's another HW I suggest may go a very long way indeed!
WINNER : HANK
6 Roy Milton - Best Wishes - Specialty 414
15 Ivory Joe Hunter - Boogin' In The Rain - Four Star 1585
The best thing Hunter did in my opinion
WINNER : IVORY JOE
6 Les Paul - Walkin' And Whistlin' Blues - Capitol 1451
18 Sonny Boy Williamson - Eyesight To The Blind - Trumpet 139
Another big win for Sonny Boy and another entry for him in the next
round
WINNER : SONNY BOY
14 Chuck Murphy - They Raided The Joint - Bama 301
6 Bill Kenny & The Song Spinners - It Is No Secret - Decca 27326
Murphy's uptempo country number gets a good win
WINNER : MURPHY
14 Muddy Waters - Still A Fool - Chess 1480
9 The Mills Brothers - Be My Life's Companion - Decca 27889
Diane's day dawns brighter still! :)
WINNER : MUDDY
9 Hoagy Carmichael - My Resistance Is Low - Decca 27540
8 Billy Williams Quartet - (Why Did I Tell You I Was Going To) Shanghai - MGM 10998
Hoagy just pips Billy Williams for the honors here
WINNER : HOAGY
1 Scatman Bailey - My Oh My - Federal 12003
20 Sonny Boy Williamson - Sonny Boy's Christmas Blues - Trumpet 145
Phenomenal win for Sonny Boy with his Xmas offering
WINNER : SONNY BOY
7 The Hollywood Four Flames - Glory Of Love - Recorded In Hollywood 165
13 The Dominoes - I Am With You - Federal 12039
The Keys will be alone in Round 2 with "Glory Of Love" as the Dominoes
reign supreme here
WINNER : DOMINOES
5 The Swallows - Since You've Been Away - King 4466
17 Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson - Bald Headed Blues - King 4442
The Swallows falter here as bluesman Vinson kicks ass
WINNER : VINSON
9 Roy Hogsed - I'm Gonna Get Along Without You - Capitol 1854
10 Perry Como - Hello Young Lovers - RCA 47-4112
He scored a win earlier but Hogsed falls to Como here
WINNER : COMO

All the designated winners will go thru to Round 2

Round One - Part Two matchups will appear here shortly

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
2008-12-30 14:12:03 UTC
Here are the results of Round 1 - Part 1 of the 1951 Singles Battle.
27 people voted
16 Fats Domino - Right From Wrong - Imperial 5138
7 Perry Como - If - RCA 47-3997
Como's No 1 hit goes down in flames to Fats!
WINNER : FATS
I suppose we'll be hearing again about our prejudices against pop.
Post by Roger Ford
14 Rufus Thomas Jr - Night Walkin' Blues - Chess 1466
4 The Royals - If You Love Me - Okeh 6832
I don't actually have the Rufus Thomas song (tho I used to) nor does
it seem to be currently available so I'm wondering how it picked up
the other 13 votes? :)
WINNER : THOMAS
I confess to voting blind (or deaf?), but I've never heard anything by
Rufus that I liked less than the Royals number.
Post by Roger Ford
11 The Cardinals - I'll Always Love You - Atlantic 952
10 Charles Brown - Seven Long Days - Aladdin 3092
Narrow victory for the Cardinals takes them into Round 2
WINNER : CARDINALS
Small surprise. I guess since I'm such a Charles Brown fan I expect
others will be, too.
Post by Roger Ford
14 Billy Wright - Stacked Deck - Savoy 781
12 The Weavers - Kisses Sweeter Than Wine - Decca 27670
Tight win for Richard's mentor here
WINNER : WRIGHT
One of my problems with most of the Weavers' Decca hits is that I like
their versions in the live Carnegie Hall concert better.
Post by Roger Ford
20 The Larks - Eyesight To The Blind - Apollo 427
6 The Ink Spots - If - Decca 27391
Win No 2 (yes my hash key ain't working :) for the Larks
WINNER : LARKS
Your hash key? Oh, well, at our age we have to be thankful for the few
things that do still work.
Post by Roger Ford
11 Louis Jordan - Teardrops From My Eyes - Decca 27428
11 Wynonie Harris - Tremblin' - King 4448
Another draw....and cancelling my vote means a weak Jordan effort goes
through......
WINNER : JORDAN
It's a weak Harris effort, too.
Post by Roger Ford
11 Lou Sargent - Ridin' The Boogie - Chess 1465
9 Guy Mitchell - My Truly, Truly Fair - Columbia 39415
Strange result here as famous Mitchell hit goes down to Sargent's
instrumental that I don't remember ever being mentioned on this
newsgroup before
WINNER : SARGENT
That's because this group is prejudiced against pop!!! People probably
just voted for the label.
Post by Roger Ford
15 The Clovers - Skylark - Atlantic 934
8 Sarah Vaughan - These Things I Offer You - Columbia 39370
Another bout....another flipside....another Clovers win
WINNER : CLOVERS
Of all the great female singers of the 50s, Sarah Vaughan probably gets
the least respect around here. That's not a complaint since I didn't
vote for any of her records in this round either, just a comment on the
insipidness of the material Columbia kept giving her.
Post by Roger Ford
5 The Four Buddies - My Summer's Gone - Savoy 789
21 Nat "King" Cole - Unforgettable - Capitol 1689
A song and a performance that truly lives up to its name.Unforgettable
indeed!
WINNER : NAT
Hard to believe five people actually voted the other way.
Post by Roger Ford
10 Dinah Washington - Fine, Fine Daddy - Mercury 8232
11 Rosco Gordon - Ouch Pretty Baby - RPM 324
Says Rosco as he narrowly squeezes past Dinah here
WINNER : ROSCO
Ouch, indeed, and the first big surprise of the round,
Mike Holcombe
2008-12-30 20:53:47 UTC
14 Rufus Thomas Jr - Night Walkin' Blues - Chess 1466
4 The Royals - If You Love Me - Okeh 6832
I don't actually have the Rufus Thomas song (tho I used to) nor does
it seem to be currently available so I'm wondering how it picked up
the other 13 votes? :)
WINNER : THOMAS
I confess to voting blind (or deaf?), but I've never heard anything by
Rufus that I liked less than the Royals number.
Mark -- You got me to thinking, an unpleasant effort that resulted in lots of
surfing. I knew I had heard the 1951 Chess release from Rufus, it was part of
the first Chess purchase of Sun productions I think. On an old tape I had it,
as: "Night Workin' Blues".

I guess there was some confusion, as I have seen Chess listings for the title
"Night Walkin' Blues" -- I checked our stalwart friends at Red Saunders and they
list it as "Night Workin' Blues". That is the right title for Chess 1466:
recorded by Phillips in Memphis 5-51 w/ ts- Herman Green, p- Billy Love, d-
Houston Stokes.

I am posting a 2008 file from one of the three Rufus Thomas - Early Years CDs
that have been issued lately -- they all include "Night Workin' Blues" and it's
not hard to make out the title. And it is a winner!

Yours discographically, Mike H.
Mark Dintenfass
2008-12-30 23:12:45 UTC
Post by Mike Holcombe
[...]
Thanks much for this, Mike. Assuming it's the song Roger didn't have,
I'm very happy I voted for it.
RandyPNY
2008-12-31 05:18:05 UTC
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 08:12:03 -0600, Mark Dintenfass
[...]
AMG has sound clips for NWB from the CDs The Sun Years Plus (Bear Family) and
Tiger Man: Earliest Recordings 1950-1957 (Document), both 2008 releases.

- Randy
Roger Ford
2009-01-03 12:53:54 UTC
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 12:53:47 -0800, Mike Holcombe
Post by Mike Holcombe
[...]
I'm late getting to this because I was hoping to have a scan or at
least more info on the actual Chess single release but no avail I'm
afraid.

Okay,firstly the song was apparently recorded and was certainly
catalogued in the official Sun files as "Night Walkin' Blues"---the
title as it appears,as you confirm,in many discographical sources.
This explains why it appears that way so often

I presume the tape was supplied to Chess under this title and I think
it was also (incorrectly) released by them under this title tho in the
absence of a label scan (which nobody seems to have) I can't totally
nail that one.

Your description of the "Night WORKIN'" lyrics are of course
completely correct and I'm sure this was the intended title (sadly
neither Rufus nor any of the other key players are around to confirm
that). But as I mentioned before the clincher is that the song is an
early version of his "All Night Worker" (the flipside to the 1964 Stax
single "Jump Back")

Anyway thanks for posting and BTW I'm also grateful for confirmation
that Johnny Otis' "Harlem Nocturne" was a reissue of the earlier
Excelsior release. I had it as a re-recording for Savoy but this is
not so.

There are several other discrepancies and errors in the listings of
1951 contestants some of which are academic since the records are
losing contenders but alterations will be made where neccesary to
those winning candidates when Round Two is published.

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
x***@ymail.com
2009-01-04 23:55:59 UTC
There are several other discrepancies and errors in the listings of
1951 contestants some of which are academic since the records are
losing contenders but alterations will be made where neccesary to
those winning candidates when Round Two is published.
I know that both Randy Price and I have spent much time over the years
researching the actual Hits on the Pop and R & B Charts from the
1950's. Given the amount of possible discrepancies that Roger could
have encountered in compiling the List of Songs for the 1951 Singles
Battle, I feel he did a remarkably good job of sorting out which
Records belonged.

So Roger I salute you for a job well done. Anyone else who thinks
that assembling the List of Songs that Roger came up with is an easy
task should give that chore a try themselves. Roger here is the one
entry I am asking you to research further before Round 2 begins.
Post by Roger Ford
10 Joe Morris - Yeah, Yeah, Yeah - Atlantic 931
10 Les Paul & Mary Ford - Jingle Bells - Capitol 1881
Yet another draw. My vote was for Joe Morris............
WINNER : PAUL

The two sided record features:

Jingle Bells by Les Paul (an instrumental)
Silent Night by Les Paul & Mary Ford (a vocal)

Naturally I am happy that Jingle Bells has made it to Round 2, but
since Mark and Mike were discussing that some people are voting
blindly and/or deafly on Songs I believe a very good Les Paul
instrumental might fare better with our Group than a similar vocal
version featuring Mary Ford.
Post by Roger Ford
10 The Bell Sisters - Bermuda - RCA 47-4422
8 Jimmy Wakely - Beautiful Brown Eyes - Capitol 1393
The Bell Sisters score with their big pop hit
WINNER : BELLS

I had seen the Bell Sisters about 5 years ago on an old Christmas Show
performing Silver Bells. They did an above average job with that
Song. I nominated Bermuda as an add-on Song based on the fact that it
was their biggest hit ever. But after hearing both Bermuda and the
Jimmy Wakely record, I joined Roger in voting for Beautiful Brown
Eyes. I believe the Group got this one wrong.

Finally as one of the members of the Group who openly admits that I am
both pro R & B and what I refer to as high quality Pop Music, I offer
the following opinion regarding this Battle which seemed to perplex
Roger.
Post by Roger Ford
11 Lou Sargent - Ridin' The Boogie - Chess 1465
9 Guy Mitchell - My Truly, Truly Fair - Columbia 39415
Strange result here as famous Mitchell hit goes down to Sargent's
instrumental that I don't remember ever being mentioned on this
newsgroup before
WINNER : SARGENT

It is my opinion that Guy Mitchell was one of the really outstanding
Pop Singers for the entire decade of the 50's. But while My Truly,
Truly Fair was basically a good record, it was a much more average
Song than some of his better efforts. So possibly the Group might
have felt as I did that this was only an average Song by a great
Singer.

Phil Zorn
Sharx35
2009-01-05 00:16:18 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
11 Lou Sargent - Ridin' The Boogie - Chess 1465
9 Guy Mitchell - My Truly, Truly Fair - Columbia 39415
Strange result here as famous Mitchell hit goes down to Sargent's
instrumental that I don't remember ever being mentioned on this
newsgroup before
WINNER : SARGENT
It is my opinion that Guy Mitchell was one of the really outstanding
Pop Singers for the entire decade of the 50's. But while My Truly,
Truly Fair was basically a good record, it was a much more average
Song than some of his better efforts. So possibly the Group might
have felt as I did that this was only an average Song by a great
Singer.
Phil Zorn
Sargent is a total unknown, for good reason.