Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - May - Round 2 - Group 4
2020-05-21 13:02:23 UTC

In The Same Old Way - Tommy Ridgley

Zoom-Boom-Zing - Cadillac

Baby Please Don't Go - Big Maybelle

That's What I Call A Ball - Larry Donn

SavoyBG
2020-05-21 13:04:06 UTC

1. Zoom-Boom-Zing - Cadillacs - 7
2. Baby Please Don't Go - Big Maybelle - 7
3. In The Same Old Way - Tommy Ridgley - 6
4. That's What I Call A Ball - Larry Donn - 6

Four good records. Larry Donn is a pretty decent Jerry Lee imitation. Rick has a shot for his first monthly winner with this Cadillacs record.
Carl
2020-05-21 13:11:15 UTC
1. In The Same Old Way - Tommy Ridgley
2. That's What I Call A Ball - Larry Donn
3. Zoom Boom Zing - Cadillacs
4. Baby Please Don’t Go - Big Maybelle
DianeE
2020-05-21 13:15:05 UTC
1-In The Same Old Way - Tommy Ridgley
2-That's What I Call A Ball - Larry Donn
3-Baby Please Don't Go - Big Maybelle
4-Zoom-Boom-Zing - Cadillacs
Roger Ford
2020-05-21 13:27:32 UTC

2020-05-21 13:37:56 UTC
1. That's What I Call A Ball - Larry Donn

2. In The Same Old Way - Tommy Ridgley

3. Zoom-Boom-Zing - Cadillac

4. Baby Please Don't Go - Big Maybelle
Steve Mc
2020-05-21 14:00:18 UTC
1. That's What I Call A Ball - Larry Donn

2. Zoom-Boom-Zing - Cadillac

2020-05-21 14:04:23 UTC
1- Tommy Ridgely

2- Big Maybelle

3- Larry Donn

4- The Cadillacs
Mark Dintenfass
2020-05-21 14:27:49 UTC
Zoom-Boom-Zing - Cadillac
Baby Please Don't Go - Big Maybelle
That's What I Call A Ball - Larry Donn
In The Same Old Way - Tommy Ridgley

Easily the best grouping of the round. Any one of these might have been
my first choice with different competition.
2020-05-21 16:30:38 UTC
Comment.
Post by SavoyBG
Zoom-Boom-Zing - Cadillac
http://youtu.be/dMg6Qi_zSSA
superior instrumentation throughout; great sax break, which takes off
at 1:48. Much of the the melody of this record is not obscure, it's
well known, classic r&b.
Post by SavoyBG
That's What I Call A Ball - Larry Donn
http://youtu.be/xiGE5qXgotU
must have some hot and bright country rock'n'roll, on my desert island
Post by SavoyBG
In The Same Old Way - Tommy Ridgley
http://youtu.be/uQVnZy0cDq4
a very pleasant rhythmic record, with more than a hint of Jamaican ska
Post by SavoyBG
Baby Please Don't Go - Big Maybelle
http://youtu.be/sHYdE62tuRU
I would not take this record, with its annoying vocal, to a desert
island. I would just take the 3 records above.
A potential new contest rule has popped up in my mind.
If you don't like a record, don't vote for it at all. It simply won't
get any points, and it communicates, makes *transparent* to everybody,
your taste (which you are quietly proud and confident in, even if it
differs from others).
Dennis C
2020-05-21 16:44:50 UTC
Why doesn't another idea suddenly pop into your head that impels you to fling yourself down a flight of concrete steps?
RWC
2020-05-21 17:09:42 UTC
Why doesn't another idea suddenly pop into your head that impels you to fling yourself down a flight of concrete steps?
You don't mean that, Dennis.
SavoyBG
2020-05-21 17:12:53 UTC
Why doesn't another idea suddenly pop into your head that impels you to fling yourself down a flight of concrete steps?
LOL
SavoyBG
2020-05-21 17:20:38 UTC

1 - In The Same Old Way - Tommy Ridgley - 25
2 - That's What I Call A Ball - Larry Donn - 24

3 - Zoom-Boom-Zing - Cadillacs - 23
4 - Baby Please Don't Go - Big Maybelle - 18

It's Diane and Roger again, rolling around in the doo doo in that pigpen. Sorry to see Rick's Cadillacs go, and my Big Maybelle went too.
SavoyBG
2020-05-21 17:22:22 UTC
So here is the field for the semi-finals:

The Same Old Story - The Champions (Diane)
Marked Deck - Mercy Baby (Roger)
Hurt My Feelings - Morris Pejoe (Carl)
Down - Marveliers (Jim)
Red Hots And Chili Mac - The Moroccos (Carl)
You've Been Goofin' - Jimmy Nolen (Steve)
In The Same Old Way - Tommy Ridgley (Diane)
That's What I Call A Ball - Larry Donn (Roger)

Two each for Roger, Diane and Carl, and one apiece for Steve and Jim. Me, Mark and Rick are shut out.
RWC
2020-05-21 17:23:06 UTC
Why doesn't another idea suddenly pop into your head that impels you to fling yourself down a flight of concrete steps?
LOL
Right, I'm going to get you, Bruce. (no, not really)

It's all an ego-driven social game we are playing :-)

Rick Schubert
2020-05-21 16:50:57 UTC
1. Zoom-Boom-Zing - Cadillac