Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - June - Cusp Edition (1960-1963) - Preliminary Round - Group 9
2019-06-06 13:44:54 UTC

Please Write - Tokens

She's Tanfastic! - Bobby Darin

I Dig This Station - Gary (U.S.) Bonds

This Wonderful Girl of Mine - Little Woo Woo

SavoyBG
2019-06-06 13:50:11 UTC

She's Tanfastic! - Bobby Darin - 6
This Wonderful Girl of Mine - Little Woo Woo - 5
I Dig This Station - Gary (U.S.) Bonds - 4
Please Write - Tokens - 3

Weak group IMO.
Steve Mc
2019-06-06 14:09:21 UTC
1. I Dig This Station - Gary (U.S.) Bonds

2. She's Tanfastic! - Bobby Darin

3. This Wonderful Girl of Mine - Little Woo Woo

4. Please Write - Tokens

2019-06-06 14:01:46 UTC
1 I Dig This Station - Gary (U.S.) Bonds
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/GUlTHVNMz7I
2 Please Write - Tokens
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/HqBWkZZy0nM
3 She's Tanfastic! - Bobby Darin
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/IgOp75AxeLQ
4 This Wonderful Girl of Mine - Little Woo Woo
http://youtu.be/MYrWwX_0uoI
Roger Ford
2019-06-06 14:27:26 UTC
She's Tanfastic! - Bobby Darin - 8
This Wonderful Girl of Mine - Little Woo Woo - 7
I Dig This Station - Gary (U.S.) Bonds - 6
Please Write - Tokens - 4

2019-06-06 14:53:28 UTC
She's Tanfastic! - Bobby Darin - 8
Released as a special "premium" record in a promotion for Tanfastic!
sun lotion. It did appear later on one of Darin's LP's. I really like
this one---it's certainly his second best 45rpm of 1960 IMO (only
"Beyond The Sea" beats it)
Post by Roger Ford
This Wonderful Girl of Mine - Little Woo Woo - 7
Originally on the 3M label in 1960 (as by Little Woo-Woo & The
Moroccos) and re-released a few months later on Port.Later had soul
stuff on Greenstar and other labels
Post by Roger Ford
I Dig This Station - Gary (U.S.) Bonds - 6
Adequate Bonds workout but far from his best. Missed the 1962 battle
(his last entry in any of the battles was "Seven Day Weekend" from
earlier that year)
Post by Roger Ford
Please Write - Tokens - 4
"Dear Neil please get in touch. We need another hit"

2019-06-06 14:44:19 UTC
I Dig This Station - Gary (U.S.) Bonds
This Wonderful Girl of Mine - Little Woo Woo
She's Tanfastic! - Bobby Darin
Please Write - Tokens

I had to do a bit of research on the odd Darin record and discovered it
was recorded as a promo for a suntan lotion. Ah, so there's a
reasonable explanation, and because it's Darin, it's a lot better than
it has any right to be, though the background singers eventually had me
gritting my teeth. Nice find, Roger, and I'm glad I heard it.

As for Bonds, when the cusp-era radio played his big hits, it felt to
me like a resurrection of "real" r'n'r, and even his lesser records can
still take me back to 1956. New Orleans was the true heart of r'n'r and
through Bonds it kept right on beating. (Even Darin's record sounds
like it was recorded with a New Orleans backup band.)
2019-06-06 15:04:26 UTC
1- " Please Write" Hey!! The Lion woke up, baby!! Clean pop sentimentality served up with a delicious vocal blend!!

2- "This Wonderful Girl of Mine" Classic pop structure. The singer delivers. Aside from the ballpark organ opening, a silid tune!

3- "She's Tanfastic" By dint of Bobby Darin's facile, cool, and yodling vocals, this silly ditty takes third place.

4- "I Dig This Station" You SHOULD touch that dial.....Dial soap, baby and clean this messy little rave up!!
Carl
2019-06-06 15:13:49 UTC
Liked all 4 in the last group better than any of these.

Little Woo Woo
Bobby Darin
Gary US Bonds
The Tokens
DianeE
2019-06-06 15:28:50 UTC
I don't like any of these very much. I remember the "Tanfastic"
advertising campaign but I don't remember the jingle. I had great hopes
for an artist named Little Woo Woo, but unfortunately they were dashed
when I listened to him. The Tokens record is abysmal, and I say that
sadly, because everyone in my part of the world knew and loved the
Tokens. They were our landsmen a/k/a our homies.

4-Please Write - Tokens
SavoyBG
2019-06-06 16:05:15 UTC
On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 11:28:56 AM UTC-4, DianeE wrote:

The Tokens record is abysmal,
Post by DianeE
4-Please Write - Tokens
I'd much rather read what they have to say than to have to HEAR it.
Dennis C
2019-06-06 16:10:17 UTC
Good thing you got me around to wedge through your entrenched and crystalized biases, baby!!

I'm proud to hoist some proper Tokenism to #1 in this round!!
Jim Colegrove
2019-06-06 16:53:17 UTC
1. This Wonderful Girl of Mine - Little Woo Woo

2. I Dig This Station - Gary (U.S.) Bonds

3. She's Tanfastic! - Bobby Darin

4. Please Write - Tokens
OleManRiver
2019-06-06 17:28:54 UTC
4. Please Write - Tokens
Rick Schubert
2019-06-06 17:44:48 UTC
1. Please Write - Tokens
2. This Wonderful Girl of Mine - Little Woo Woo
3. I Dig This Station - Gary (U.S.) Bonds
4. She's Tanfastic! - Bobby Darin
SavoyBG
2019-06-06 18:13:22 UTC
We need Bob's ballot to finish up, but the Tokens are gone and the other 3 will advance. Tokens, please don't write, and definitely DON'T SING!

The Tokens were ranked last on 8 of the 11 ballots so far.
Bob Roman
2019-06-06 18:45:02 UTC
1. Bonds
2. Woo Woo
3. Tokens
4. Darin

2019-06-06 18:52:37 UTC

1. I Dig This Station - Gary (U.S.) Bonds - 36
2. This Wonderful Girl of Mine - Little Woo Woo - 33
3. She's Tanfastic! - Bobby Darin - 30

4. Please Write - Tokens - 21