narkive is for sale. Interested? (dismiss)
Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - August - Preliminary Round - Group 4
2020-08-05 12:18:06 UTC

Skippy Is A Sissy - Roy Gaines

You Better Believe It - Paul Gayten

Walk Your Blues Away - Professor Longhair

Promises Promises Promises - The Penguins

California - Five Chances

SavoyBG
2020-08-05 12:18:41 UTC

1. Walk Your Blues Away - Professor Longhair
2. You Better Believe It - Paul Gayten
3. Promises Promises Promises - The Penguins
4. Skippy Is A Sissy - Roy Gaines
5. California - Five Chances
Jim Colegrove
2020-08-05 12:37:59 UTC
1. Walk Your Blues Away - Professor Longhair

2. You Better Believe It - Paul Gayten

3. Skippy Is A Sissy - Roy Gaines

4. Promises Promises Promises - The Penguins

5. California - Five Chances
Steve Mc
2020-08-05 13:58:46 UTC
1. You Better Believe It - Paul Gayten

2. Skippy Is A Sissy - Roy Gaines

3. California - Five Chances

4. Promises Promises Promises - The Penguins

5. Walk Your Blues Away - Professor Longhair

2020-08-05 12:58:05 UTC
1 Walk Your Blues Away - Professor Longhair
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/tanCmoFvqZg
2 Promises Promises Promises - The Penguins
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/gSEExN9lldA
3 Skippy Is A Sissy - Roy Gaines
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/RKDN0f4ytds
4 You Better Believe It - Paul Gayten
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/J1HwVf8XQJk
5 California - Five Chances
http://youtu.be/urcQ2EzthfA
Mark Dintenfass
A perfect ballot!
Roger Ford
2020-08-05 13:13:52 UTC
Walk Your Blues Away - Professor Longhair - 8
You Better Believe It - Paul Gayten - 7
California - Five Chances - 7
Promises Promises Promises - The Penguins - 7
Skippy Is A Sissy - Roy Gaines - 6

2020-08-05 13:24:05 UTC
Skippy Is A Sissy - Roy Gaines
http://youtu.be/RKDN0f4ytds
The full title is "Skippy Is A Sissy (If This Ain't Love)" and
appeared on RCA in 1958. It's been heavily repressed (booted?) since
original release which is surprising to me since I find it little more
than a very third rate style Little Richard ripoff
Post by SavoyBG
You Better Believe It - Paul Gayten
http://youtu.be/J1HwVf8XQJk
Very good uptempo number from Gayten on Checker from 1956. In more
recent years there has been enough demand for this for it to be
"booted". Incidentally the flipside of this "Mother Roux" was retitled
"YoYo Walk"and used again by Checker a year later as the flip to The
Tune Weavers hit "Happy Happy Birthday Baby"
Post by SavoyBG
Walk Your Blues Away - Professor Longhair
http://youtu.be/tanCmoFvqZg
Issued in May 1950 (so no doubt Spontaneous Lunacy will get to it in a
few years :) this was the good Professor's second single on Atlantic
and like the earlier "Mardi Gras In New Orleans" is credited to
"Professor Longhair & His New Orleans Boys. Unlike that earlier record
this terrific "That's All Right"-type blues was somehow missed from
the 1950 Singles Battle. It's one of my very top favorites in THIS
battle tho!
Post by SavoyBG
Promises Promises Promises - The Penguins
http://youtu.be/gSEExN9lldA
Dexter Tisby leads the group on this jaunty but unspectacular uptempo
number recorded for Mercury and released in 1955 as the flip to "Devil
That I See" (which WAS in that years Battle)
Post by SavoyBG
California - Five Chances
http://youtu.be/urcQ2EzthfA
Hailing from Chicago in 1954 came the El Travadors r&b vocal group who
put up a good enough show to win several local talent shows---
including a very important one where were spotted and recommended to
Ewart Abner-then top A&R man at Chance Records in the windy city. He
changed their name to the Five Chances but only one single ("I May Be
Small"/"Nagasaki") ever appeared on the label before owner Art
Sheridan rang down the curtain. However more tracks were recorded and
left in the vaults---some of which have surfaced in later years. Like
"California" which is nominated here and which finally surfaced on an
Atomic release in 1977 (b/w their version of the #1 Jo Stafford hit
"Make Love To Me")

2020-08-05 20:50:29 UTC
Skippy Is A Sissy - Roy Gaines
http://youtu.be/RKDN0f4ytds
... It's been heavily repressed (booted?) since original release
Not at all surprising...
Roger Ford
2020-08-06 03:04:56 UTC
Skippy Is A Sissy - Roy Gaines
http://youtu.be/RKDN0f4ytds
... It's been heavily repressed (booted?) since original release
Not at all surprising...
Being heavily booted is no indication of a given records quality.

Look at the example of possibly the most heavily booted 1950's rock &
roll single during the 70's for instance---the dire "Jungle Rock"

I rest my case

2020-08-06 23:55:47 UTC
Skippy Is A Sissy - Roy Gaines
http://youtu.be/RKDN0f4ytds
... It's been heavily repressed (booted?) since original release
Not at all surprising...
Being heavily booted is no indication of a given records quality.
Look at the example of possibly the most heavily booted 1950's rock &
roll single during the 70's for instance---the dire "Jungle Rock"
Seriously and sincerely, Roger, again not surprising. The Hank Mizell
record is a classic.
Post by Roger Ford
I rest my case
LOL, talk about being out of touch with the pleb majority.

more proof of the song's popularity, here's a 70s UK video for Jungle
Rock (whatever you think of the video, the BBC went to some trouble :)

Perhaps you don't like this pleb classic either, with it's 105 million
views:
"Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime, ORIGINAL 1970 video"

Geoff :)
Roger Ford
2020-08-07 07:17:05 UTC
Skippy Is A Sissy - Roy Gaines
http://youtu.be/RKDN0f4ytds
... It's been heavily repressed (booted?) since original release
Not at all surprising...
Being heavily booted is no indication of a given records quality.
Look at the example of possibly the most heavily booted 1950's rock &
roll single during the 70's for instance---the dire "Jungle Rock"
Seriously and sincerely, Roger, again not surprising. The Hank Mizell
record is a classic.
In some quarters yes of course. But not in my quarter
I rest my case
LOL, talk about being out of touch with the pleb majority.
Gee "out of touch with the pleb majority"??...whatever shall I do? How
on earth will I sleep tonight?
Post by RWC
more proof of the song's popularity, here's a 70s UK video for Jungle
Rock (whatever you think of the video, the BBC went to some trouble :)
http://youtu.be/_A3D_lCZDsE
That quaintly named "pleb majority" would almost certainly be
MUCH.MUCH smaller were it not for that tiny coterie of London rock &
roll fans/collectors who were instrumental in actually starting
"Jungle Rock" off on its ascendancy to eventual Charly release here in
the UK and entering the national chart peaking at #3----all resulting
in a frantic search in the US for a bemused Mr Mizell and a brief (but
highly lucrative) UK tour for him
Post by RWC
Perhaps you don't like this pleb classic either, with it's 105 million
"Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime, ORIGINAL 1970 video"
http://youtu.be/wvUQcnfwUUM
There's no "perhaps" about it!

Most amusing as always...thanks Geoff!

2020-08-05 13:33:40 UTC
1-Walk Your Blues Away - Professor Longhair
2-Skippy Is A Sissy - Roy Gaines
3-You Better Believe It - Paul Gayten

4-California - Five Chances. I was going to put this last, but that was
before I heard the Penguins record.
5-Promises Promises Promises - The Penguins
Carl
California - Five Chances
RWC
2020-08-05 15:37:11 UTC
Walk Your Blues Away - Professor Longhair
http://youtu.be/tanCmoFvqZg
is *clearly* dull and boring compared to
Post by SavoyBG
Skippy Is A Sissy - Roy Gaines
http://youtu.be/RKDN0f4ytds
Perhaps one or more articulate voters can put into words why they
preferred "Walk Your Blues Away".

I thought not :-)

Geoff
SavoyBG
Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.
SavoyBG
2020-08-05 16:50:12 UTC
FINAL RANKINGS - Same as Mark and me.

1. Walk Your Blues Away - Professor Longhair - 36
2. You Better Believe It - Paul Gayten - 31
3. Promises Promises Promises - The Penguins - 26
4. Skippy Is A Sissy - Roy Gaines - 24

5. California - Five Chances - 18

Mark's Fessa wins the group with Steve's PG second. Carl's Penguins take third. Diane's Gaines is 4th, but will likely be out as it's the lowest scoring 4th place item so far with 24 points. Rick's Five Chances is out. I did not like it because the male group sounds like it was trying to sound like girls.
Dennis C
2020-08-05 18:17:22 UTC
I bet you dance like Frank Lloyd Wrong, baby!!
RWC
2020-08-05 21:07:52 UTC
Perhaps one or more articulate voters can put into words why they
liked "Walk Your Blues Away".
Rick Schubert