narkive is for sale. Interested? (dismiss)
Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - August - Preliminary Round - Group 3
2020-08-04 13:30:06 UTC

2020-08-04 13:30:44 UTC

2020-08-04 14:05:40 UTC

2020-08-04 13:52:43 UTC

2020-08-04 13:55:23 UTC
2020-08-04 13:55:38 UTC
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/Mb3SLhND96Q
5 Easy Baby - Magic Sam
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/BUg-9BXapKc
Roger Ford
2020-08-04 14:07:37 UTC
How Much I Owe - The Radio Four

Terrific rockin' gospel from the Nashboro label released in 1955 (as
per promotional ad in "Billboard" that November). Group was notable
for sometimes including a slap bass on their recordings. Prior to
Nashboro they recorded for Republic with one of their records there
"What'cha Gonna Do" gracing the 1954 Singles Battle
Post by SavoyBG
Easy Baby - Magic Sam

This was the official "A" side to my favorite Magic Sam number---the
famous rockin' "21 Days In Jail" certainly his most popular number on
this side of the pond and also one of the most heavily booted blues
45's ever. Recorded for Cobra 1958 in Chicago. Personnel : Magic Sam
(voc/gtr) Harold Burrage (p) Odell Campbell (bg) Willie Dixon (b) Odie
Payne (dm)
Post by SavoyBG
Since I Fell For You - Buckeyes
=20
From January 1957 here's one of my favorite versions of the much MUCH
recorded old Buddy Johnson standard "Since I Fell For You" recorded
for the Cincinnati DeLuxe label. The group here are The Buckeyes
hailing from Steubenville,Oh (you just gotta hand it to the Americans
when it comes to cool sounding place names :-)

After another single for DeLuxe that went nowhere and after a
membership change or too they became The Stereos making their debut on
Gibraltar label in 1959 with the fine "A Love For Only You" before
finally crashing the charts in 1961 with their best ever number "I
Really Love You"for MGM's Cub subsidiary (I'm betting that back in
Liverpool UK wee Georgie rushed out to buy this one)
Post by SavoyBG
Red's Blues - Piano Red
=20
Recorded in Nashville July 25 1955 and released on RCA's Groove
subsidiary that October, this average outing by the future "Dr
Feelgood"features Willie Perryman (vcl/pno),Clyde Lynn (sax),Wesley
Jackson (gtr),George Miller (bs) and James Jackson (dms).

I'd just mention that Dr Feelgood & The Interns helped me pay the
bills recently when I sold a rare copy of their original "Mister
Moonlight" (same song as later done by The Beatles) on UK Columbia for
150GBP). Thanx fellas!
Post by SavoyBG
Honey Honey - Supremes

Nothing to do with the later (and slightly more famous) Diana Ross led
Motown ensemble these earlier Supremes were most definitely MALE and
hailed from Columbus,Oh. Formed as long ago as 1954 the group found
success in live engagements but had never recorded---until,during a
swing thru the South in 1957 they came to the attention of Johnny
Vincent at Ace Records He recorded them on the great "Just For You And
I" for his label Ace and released it b/w the almost as great "Don't
Leave Me Here To Cry" (which WON in last Novembers edition of this
contest.

"Honey Honey" IMO is another terrific number by them---almost
certainly from the same Ace session that produced the single above.But
sadly it sat unreleased in the Ace vaults until recent years.

2020-08-04 14:38:48 UTC
Easy Baby - Magic Sam
http://youtu.be/3DBUg-9BXapKc
Did not know it, but just went and got it. I don't agree that it's all that good. I like "Easy Baby" better. His best for me is easily "Look Whatcha Done."
Roger Ford
2020-08-04 15:28:55 UTC
Easy Baby - Magic Sam
http://youtu.be/3DBUg-9BXapKc
This was the official "A" side to my favorite Magic Sam number---the
famous rockin' "21 Days In Jail"
Did not know it, but just went and got it. I don't agree that it's all that good. I like "Easy Baby" better. His best for me is easily "Look Whatcha Done."
That one was never in a Battle so there's a September nomination for
ya ::)

2020-08-04 16:44:41 UTC
This was the official "A" side to my favorite Magic Sam number---the
famous rockin' "21 Days In Jail"
Did not know it, but just went and got it. I don't agree that it's all that good.
I like "Easy Baby" better. His best for me is easily "Look Whatcha Done."
I very much agree that "Easy baby" is more substantial and appealing
than the simplistically rocking "21 Days In Jail".

Yes, "Look Whatcha Done" is a strong likeable record.

Can I also suggest:

All Your Love

Love Me With A Feeling

Geoff
DianeE
2020-08-04 17:07:56 UTC
This was the official "A" side to my favorite Magic Sam number---the
famous rockin' "21 Days In Jail"
Did not know it, but just went and got it. I don't agree that it's all that good.
I like "Easy Baby" better. His best for me is easily "Look Whatcha Done."
I very much agree that "Easy baby" is more substantial and appealing
than the simplistically rocking "21 Days In Jail".
Yes, "Look Whatcha Done" is a strong likeable record.
All Your Love
Love Me With A Feeling
-------
I think I nominated "All Your Love" a few months ago. It didn't do
well. "Love Me With A Feeling" was actually on my short list.
SavoyBG
2020-08-04 20:00:26 UTC
Nothing from Jim yet.
Jim Colegrove
2020-08-04 21:49:46 UTC
1. How Much I Owe - The Radio Four

2. Easy Baby - Magic Sam

3. Honey Honey - Supremes

4. Red’s Blues - Piano Red

5. Since I Fell For You - Buckeyes
SavoyBG
2020-08-04 22:04:41 UTC

1. Honey Honey - Supremes - 31
2. How Much I Owe - The Radio Four - 28 (6-3)
3. Easy Baby - Magic Sam - 28
4. Red’s Blues - Piano Red - 26

5. Since I Fell For You - Buckeyes - 22

Roger's Ace item wins the group with Jim's gospel item edging Diane's Magic for second in a 6-3 tie breaker. Carl's Piano Red takes 4th. Rick's Buckeyes is out.
Carl
2020-08-04 15:04:18 UTC
1-Red’s Blues - Piano Red
2-Easy Baby - Magic Sam