Songwriter Kent “Boogaloo” Harris, 88
2019-04-20 00:05:22 UTC
Barely On Topic:

April 16, 2019) Soul music fans may not have known the name Kent "Boogaloo" Harris, but his compositions dotted the charts for more than two decades, making hits for artists ranging from The Coasters, Bo Diddley, and The Platters. Harris has reportedly died of cancer at his Southern California home at age 88.

Harris’s stock and trade in the 1950s was writing catchy novelty songs such as “Shopping For Clothes” for the Coasters - #83 10/60 - and “Cops and Robbers” for Bo Diddley. He also wrote for his own family group, The Harris Sisters (later called the Dimples Harris Trio), who had several modest hits during the decade, and recorded and performed with his own act, Boogaloo and His Gallant Crew.

Harris told the Ponderosa Stomp “I started doing that when I was just a kid,” he says. “I started off around the neighborhood where I lived. There were a lot of kids around there, playing around and stuff. And I used to make up songs about ‘em, make up different songs about different ones and the stuff they do. Everybody kind of liked it. It was a fun thing, and I just kept on doing it until I got a break.”

Harris became an entrepreneur, opening a Los Angeles record store in the 1960s and forming his own record label. He also continued to write and producer for a number of R&B and jazz artists, including Adoph Jacobs and Jimmy Ellis.

Harris continued to work into the new century, reportedly contributing to the music of the somewhat maligned Eddie Murphy movie, Norbit. He also would perform his delightfully humorous repertoire around the country with his act Boogaloo and His Gallant Crew.

Ray Arthur
t***@iwvisp.com
2019-04-20 00:09:04 UTC
Cops and Robbers - Bo Diddley - 1956 - Did not chart.
SavoyBG
2019-04-20 00:15:58 UTC
Boogaloo's version charted.
Bill B
2019-04-20 10:42:15 UTC
I read (maybe in the booklet accompanying the "50 Coastin' Classics" box set, that one of the group heard it by Boogaloo on the radio and brought it into the studio to be recorded. If so, it wasn't written "for the Coasters." I also believe Leiber & Stoller took initial writing credit for the Coasters' version, but it has subsequently been changed.
Roger Ford
2019-04-21 11:34:23 UTC
It's certainly on topic since Kent Harris wrote and originally
recorded a couple of important songs of our era
Post by t***@iwvisp.com
April 16, 2019) Soul music fans may not have known the name Kent "Boogaloo"
Harris, but his compositions dotted the charts for more than two decades,Making
hits for artists ranging from The Coasters, Bo Diddley, and The Platters. Harris has
reportedly died of cancer at his Southern California home at age 88.
Harris's stock and trade in the 1950s was writing catchy novelty songs such as
"Shopping For Clothes" for the Coasters and "Cops and Robbers" for Bo Diddley
The original song title was "Clothes Line" that Harris recorded
himself for Crest Records in 1956 backed by Ernie Freeman & His Combo.

Leiber & Stoller later "borrowed" most of the song for "Shoppin' For
Clothes" for the Coasters which was written around a small segment of
the Harris song that Billy Guy remembered from radio play. The
Coasters song was credited to "Elmo Glick" (a pseudonym for L&S) on
first release but later pressings usually have Kent Harris' name
rightfully added

The flip of "Clothes Line" was "Cops And Robbers" also composed by
Harris which was simply covered for Chess by Bo Diddley.
Post by t***@iwvisp.com
He also wrote for his own family group, The Harris Sisters (later called the Dimples
Harris Trio), who had several modest hits during the decade, and recorded and
performed with his own act, Boogaloo and His Gallant Crew.
The Dimple Harris Trio predates The Harris Sisters since they recorded
for Savoy as long ago as 1951 and appeared on Herman Lubinsky's subsid
Regent ;label with "Call Me Daddy"/"Che Bongo Blues".

The Harris Sisters (including Dimples) had a very minor hit in 1955
with Capitol on "We've Been Walking All Night"/"Kissin' Bug" which
sold well enough to even get a UK release.

Dimples solo surfaced again in 1956 with a decent R&B entry on Crest
"This I Do Believe"/"If You'll Be True" (both sides penned by Kent
Harris)