Let's try this question again
2020-03-17 18:05:14 UTC
"I Can't Refuse" by The Orchids seems to be the same song as "You Know I
Can't Refuse" by The Five Dollars on Fortune. Both are listed as 1955.
Which one is the cover?
Roger Ford
2020-03-17 20:06:26 UTC
"I Can't Refuse" by The Orchids seems to be the same song as "You Know I
Can't Refuse" by The Five Dollars on Fortune. Both are listed as 1955.
Which one is the cover?
I have The Five Dollars as an early 1956 release (reviewed in CB March
31) which would put it some months after The Orchids1955 original.

Thanks. So I guess Andre Williams didn't write it then ;)
Bill B
2020-03-17 23:03:18 UTC
"I Can't Refuse" by The Orchids seems to be the same song as "You Know I
Can't Refuse" by The Five Dollars on Fortune. Both are listed as 1955.
Which one is the cover?
I thought I remembered the Orchids from Doo-Wox Box III and they are on disk 3, though it's not this record. It's "Newly Wed."

An interesting comment in the accompanying booklet from the Dells about the Orchids:

"Man those dudes were stone thugs, always fighting and doing robberies."

Also interesting to me is the same disk contains "I Belong To You" by the Fi-Tones, nominated for the box set by Tim Hauser, founder and leader of the Manhattan Transfer, who knows a little something about Doo-Wop.
It was also nominated by me here in the Obscurities contest, where it was unceremoniously booted in the prelims. Good enough for Rhino and Tim Hauser, but not good enough for this group. Therein lies my problem with the contests (not the individuals). But that is not my biggest problem, which would be the trashing of the sensational "Your Very First Love" by the Dubs. It was released on multiple singles with different flips, but the Dubs' day had passed. Jay Warner, in his "Billboard Book Of American Singing Groups" called it "a pretty single." I believe pretty is frowned upon here, while rough is admired.

How this could be rated a 3 is beyond my comprehension.

I guess I'm venting my frustrations with the coronavirus on top of which I had a three hour power failure today, but this has indeed bothered me, so I couldn't help bringing it up.
SavoyBG
2020-03-18 00:08:02 UTC
http://youtu.be/wuWeEiDwTUM
As I've said before, there are loads of places on Facebook where you can hang out with doo wop lovers if that's what you want. I've been thrown out of a couple of them myself!
Dennis C
2020-03-18 00:26:11 UTC
If you haven't been expunged from a forum, you ain't been workin' hard enough, baby!!
Dean F.
2020-03-18 02:06:33 UTC
If you haven't been expunged from a forum, you ain't been workin' hard enough, baby!!
I lost count of how many Facebook I was booted from. Eventually, I got tired of all the politically correct bullshit and deactivated my account.
Dean F.
2020-03-18 06:45:49 UTC
If you haven't been expunged from a forum, you ain't been workin' hard enough, baby!!
I lost count of how many FB groups I was kicked out of. People just can't take a fuckin' joke anymore! I finally got tired of all the political correctness and deactivated my account.
DianeE
2020-03-18 00:25:47 UTC
On 3/17/2020 7:03 PM, Bill B wrote:
...."Your Very First Love" by the Dubs....was released on multiple
singles with different flips, but the Dubs' day had passed. Jay Warner,
in his "Billboard Book Of American Singing Groups" called it "a pretty
single." I believe pretty is frowned upon here, while rough is admired.
-------------
It's not that simple. The one winning record I had in 2019 was "Gee
Baby What About You" by Shep & The Limelites, and there was nothing
rough about it.

I consider myself a fan of the Dubs but I just didn't like "Your Very
First Love," and the arrangement was particularly off-putting.
Roger Ford
2020-03-18 05:23:35 UTC
...."Your Very First Love" by the Dubs....was released on multiple
singles with different flips, but the Dubs' day had passed. Jay Warner,
in his "Billboard Book Of American Singing Groups" called it "a pretty
single." I believe pretty is frowned upon here, while rough is admired.
-------------
It's not that simple. The one winning record I had in 2019 was "Gee
Baby What About You" by Shep & The Limelites, and there was nothing
rough about it.
I've had that Shep & Limelites through auction on eBay several times
now at very modest reserve-and nary a bid on it-not even a "watcher".

Too pretty, I guess?
Bill B
2020-03-18 11:03:38 UTC
Too sophisticated? Too professional?
DianeE
2020-03-18 13:06:31 UTC
I consider myself a fan of the Dubs but I just didn't like "Your Very
First Love," and the arrangement was particularly off-putting.
Too sophisticated? Too professional?
------------
Too *produced*.

I guess this was what the record producers thought would sell records in
the 1960s but it didn't work for this one.
Dennis C
2020-03-18 13:31:59 UTC
Too much dubbing, baby!!
Dean F.
2020-03-19 04:16:58 UTC
How do you feel about the heavily orchestrated stuff the Five Keys did for Capitol? I find much of it unlistenable, especially "Let There Be You."
DianeE
I agree.
Bill B
I, unsurprisingly, do not agree. I love it. I don't feel it's overproduced and, even if it is, the magnificence of Rudy West's voice more than overcomes it.
Dean F.
2020-03-19 23:18:58 UTC
I, unsurprisingly, do not agree. I love it. I don't feel it's overproduced and, even if it is, the magnificence of Rudy West's voice more than overcomes it.
"Out of Sight, Out of Mind" and "Wisdom of a Fool" work for me, because the orchestration is minimal.

And check out the Keys' acappella take on "Out of Sight, Out of Mind."

SavoyBG
2020-03-19 23:31:38 UTC
MY FAVORITES ON CAPITOL:

1. Ling Ting Tong
2. Close Your Eyes
3. Don't You Know I Love You
4. Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind
5. The Verdict
6. Gee Whittakers
7. Gonna Shout All Over God's Heaven (Jack Teagarden)
8. Wisdom of a Fool
9. I Dreamt I Dwelt In Heaven
10. Let There Be You
11. 'Cause You're My Lover
Bill B
2020-03-20 11:03:07 UTC
1. Ling Ting Tong
2. Close Your Eyes
3. Don't You Know I Love You
4. Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind
5. The Verdict
6. Gee Whittakers
7. Gonna Shout All Over God's Heaven (Jack Teagarden)
8. Wisdom of a Fool
9. I Dreamt I Dwelt In Heaven
10. Let There Be You
11. 'Cause You're My Lover
I was gratified to see #10. I have a soft spot for You Broke The Rules Of Love:

DianeE
2020-03-20 11:31:28 UTC
1. Ling Ting Tong
2. Close Your Eyes
3. Don't You Know I Love You
4. Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind
5. The Verdict
6. Gee Whittakers
7. Gonna Shout All Over God's Heaven (Jack Teagarden)
8. Wisdom of a Fool
9. I Dreamt I Dwelt In Heaven
10. Let There Be You
11. 'Cause You're My Lover
----------
Okay, I'm confused now. I thought Dean was talking about the very late
50s-early 60s stuff. Obviously I think "Close Your Eyes" and "Out Of
Sight Out Of Mind" are total 10's.
Bill B
2020-03-20 12:28:40 UTC
1. Ling Ting Tong
2. Close Your Eyes
3. Don't You Know I Love You
4. Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind
5. The Verdict
6. Gee Whittakers
7. Gonna Shout All Over God's Heaven (Jack Teagarden)
8. Wisdom of a Fool
9. I Dreamt I Dwelt In Heaven
10. Let There Be You
11. 'Cause You're My Lover
----------
Okay, I'm confused now. I thought Dean was talking about the very late
50s-early 60s stuff. Obviously I think "Close Your Eyes" and "Out Of
Sight Out Of Mind" are total 10's.
Dean was in particular talking about "Let There Be You, which was from March, 1957.

My favorite Keys is "Close Your Eyes."
DianeE
2020-03-20 23:36:46 UTC
1. Ling Ting Tong
2. Close Your Eyes
3. Don't You Know I Love You
4. Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind
5. The Verdict
6. Gee Whittakers
7. Gonna Shout All Over God's Heaven (Jack Teagarden)
8. Wisdom of a Fool
9. I Dreamt I Dwelt In Heaven
10. Let There Be You
11. 'Cause You're My Lover
----------
Okay, I'm confused now. I thought Dean was talking about the very late
50s-early 60s stuff. Obviously I think "Close Your Eyes" and "Out Of
Sight Out Of Mind" are total 10's.
Dean was in particular talking about "Let There Be You, which was from March, 1957.
My favorite Keys is "Close Your Eyes."
----------
Mine is "Red Sails In The Sunset," but "Close Your Eyes" is up there
too. In 1992 I attended a UGHA concert at Symphony Space in Manhattan
where the reunited Five Keys sang it live, with great passion and joy.
I didn't faint, but I was definitely swept away. (Bruce was at that
same concert but of course we didn't know each other then.)

SavoyBG
The 1959-1961 stuff is on King, and is less produced than the Capitol stuff.
Dean F.
2020-03-18 02:04:56 UTC

Bill, if it makes you feel any better, I've always liked the song.
Bill B
2020-03-18 10:54:57 UTC
<< But that is not my biggest problem, which would be the trashing of the sensational "Your Very First Love" by the Dubs.>>
Bill, if it makes you feel any better, I've always liked the song.
It does. Thanks.