April nominees
2021-03-24 13:47:29 UTC
Dearest Darling - Bo Diddley

Don’t Dog Me Cyde McPhatter - Cyde McPhatter

Crazy Arms - Jerry Lee Lewis

Maybe Tomorrow -Everly Brothers

Grandpa Stole My Baby - Roy Brown

Okay, so I'm being pushy.

2021-03-24 14:56:47 UTC
Here are mine:

Slim Saunders - Let's Have Some Fun

Just A Litle Walk - Bobby Marchan

Jungle Juice - Sticks McGhee

High Low Jack - Buddy Lucas

You're Gonna Cry - Spaniels

Ken Whiton
2021-03-26 01:32:45 UTC
*-* On Wed, 24 Mar 2021, at 07:56:47 -0700 (PDT),
*-* In Article <942727f5-79a3-4499-a07d-***@googlegroups.com>,
*-* ***@aol.com wrote
*-* About Re: April nominees
Post by ***@aol.com
Slim Saunders - Let's Have Some Fun
http://youtu.be/07X6E8jg7aw
Did you catch your own title/artist reversal?

FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: ***@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
Sav...@aol.com
yes
Roger Ford
2021-03-24 15:14:26 UTC
Don’t Dog Me Cyde McPhatter - Cyde McPhatter
http://youtu.be/5d-PJqtNyXI
I have 5 from 1960 of which this was one.

Oh well...back to drawing board :)

2021-03-24 15:31:14 UTC
Post by md
Don’t Dog Me Cyde McPhatter - Cyde McPhatter
http://youtu.be/5d-PJqtNyXI
I have 5 from 1960 of which this was one.
Oh well...back to drawing board :)
Great record.

This pushy stuff pays dividends. Too bad I spent most of my life being s
polite.

2021-03-24 15:17:54 UTC
Okay....five favorites from 1960

She's Tough - Jerry McCain - Rex 1014 - 1960

To Be Loved (Forever) - The Pentagons - Fleet International 100 - 1960

Tell The Truth - Ray Charles - Atlantic 2068 - 1960

A Good Man - Irma Thomas - Ron 330 - 1960

Darling Honey Angel Child - Earl King - Rex 1015 - 1960

2021-03-24 15:32:21 UTC
Tell The Truth - Ray Charles - Atlantic 2068 - 1960
http://youtu.be/AKq-HC0WyZs
This would have been on my list for next month. Another great one.

2021-03-24 15:24:41 UTC
Gene Summers - School Of Rock 'N' Roll (1958)

Jimmy Reed - Hush Hush - Vee Jay(1960)

Joe Turner - Lipstick Powder & Paint - (1956)

Betty James - I'm A Little Mixed Up - (1961)

Elvis Presley - Any Way You Want Me - (1956)

2021-03-24 15:33:55 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
Gene Summers - School Of Rock 'N' Roll (1958)
http://youtu.be/v51OU8Iwb3E
Jimmy Reed - Hush Hush - Vee Jay(1960)
http://youtu.be/nj9KjKSaDPo
Joe Turner - Lipstick Powder & Paint - (1956)
http://youtu.be/o9beo6mlDqA
Betty James - I'm A Little Mixed Up - (1961)
http://youtu.be/bpoq5YwFW4I
Elvis Presley - Any Way You Want Me - (1956)
http://youtu.be/m8kQs91fj-w
Title first, then artist please
Steve Mc
2021-03-24 15:56:37 UTC
Damn. Every one I had backwards.

School Of Rock 'N' Roll - Gene Summers (1958)
http://youtu.be/v51OU8Iwb3E

Hush Hush - Jimmy Reed - Vee Jay(1960)
http://youtu.be/nj9KjKSaDPo

Lipstick Powder & Paint - Joe Turner - (1956)
http://youtu.be/o9beo6mlDqA

I'm A Little Mixed Up - Betty James (1961)
http://youtu.be/bpoq5YwFW4I

Any Way You Want Me - Elvis Presley (1956)
http://youtu.be/m8kQs91fj-w

2021-03-24 15:27:54 UTC
On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 6:47:35 AM UTC-7, md wrote:

april nominees

Five favorites from 1962

Gene Chandler - Rainbow - Vee Jay 468

Bobby Bland - Yield Not To Temptation - Duke 352

Big Sambo & The House Wreckers - The Rains Came - Eric 7003

The Jive Five - Hully Gully Callin' Time - Beltone 2019

Muddy Waters - You Shook Me - Chess 1827

Carl
2021-03-24 15:31:37 UTC
Post by Carl
april nominees
Five favorites from 1962
Title order corrected

Rainbow - Gene Chandler - Vee Jay 468
http://youtu.be/rtKBTmn-Fac

Yield Not To Temptation - Bobby Bland - Duke 352
http://youtu.be/s-RoP05BdC4

The Rains Came - Big Sambo & The House Wreckers - Eric 7003
http://youtu.be/SpsCnIe7eJs

Hully Gully Callin' Time - The Jive Five - Beltone 2019
http://youtu.be/gwUzY0lFLvY

You Shook Me - Muddy Waters - Chess 1827
http://youtu.be/SgAPHNgHJdw
Sav...@aol.com
DianeE
2021-03-24 16:03:50 UTC
I originally planned to nominate 4 from the list and one that was never
in the Battles, but I changed my mind upon perusing the list. Can't
believe these 5 never won!

ABC's Of Love - Frankie Lymon & Teenagers

Stand By Me - Guitar Slim

A Woman, A Lover, A Friend - Jackie Wilson

Chonnie-On-Chon - James Brown

Waitin' In School - Ricky Nelson

Steve Mc
2021-03-24 16:08:30 UTC
Waitin' In School - Ricky Nelson
http://youtu.be/_UXyQ-BtKpY
A definite contender.

2021-03-26 01:14:37 UTC
*-* On Wed, 24 Mar 2021, at 08:47:29 -0500,
*-* In Article <7MGdncGdl5Rs38b9nZ2dnUU7-***@supernews.com>,
*-* md wrote
*-* About April nominees

[ ... ]
Post by md
Don’t Dog Me Cyde McPhatter - Cyde McPhatter
http://youtu.be/5d-PJqtNyXI
That should be

Don’t Dog Me - Clyde McPhatter

Jim Colegrove
2021-03-27 15:02:12 UTC
Check these out:

That's Fat Jack - Jimmie Lee & Artis -

Boot Hill - Curley Page -

Down On the Farm - Al Franklin Combo -

Death Comes Knocking - National Harmonizers -

She's My Baby - Jimmy Huff -

Sav...@aol.com
2021-03-27 15:07:14 UTC
That's Fat Jack - Jimmie Lee & Artis -
http://youtu.be/UwBAk6pi2Os
Boot Hill - Curley Page -
http://youtu.be/z3OieREefWc
Down On the Farm - Al Franklin Combo -
http://youtu.be/iMaZ4YsJHYE
Death Comes Knocking - National Harmonizers -
http://youtu.be/AFyVtX_MgiE
She's My Baby - Jimmy Huff -
http://youtu.be/b2alhpFLELo
Okay, 7 of us are in, just Rick left to come.
DianeE
2021-03-30 16:45:45 UTC
Rick? Are you in?
Rick Schubert
2021-03-31 01:55:02 UTC
Rick? Are you in?
Yes. I should be posting them later this evening.
Rick Schubert
2021-03-31 04:53:46 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
Post by DianeE
Rick? Are you in?
Yes. I should be posting them later this evening.
Later this evening...

Don't Take Your Love From Me - Calvanes - Dooto 371 - 1955

[Lost 16-9 in Round 1 of the 1955 Battle to: The Midnighters - It's Love Baby (24 Hours A Day) ]

Magic Kiss - Keystoners - G & M 102 - 1956

[Lost 18-3 in Round 1 of the 1956 Battle to: Amos Milburn - Chicken Shack]

People Will Say We're In Love - Spaniels - Vee Jay 342 - 1960

[Lost 16-9 in the Prelims of the 1960 Battle to: Elvis Presley - The Girl Of My Best Friend]

Rang Tang Ding Dong (I Am The Japanese Sandman) - Cellos - Apollo 510 - 1957

[Lost 7-6 in Round 1 of the Vocal Groups Encore Battle to: The Edsels - What Brought Us Together]

My Girl Friend - Cadillacs - Josie 820 - 1957

[Lost 20-4 in Round 1 of the 1957 Battle to: Norman Fox & The Rob-Roys - Tell Me Why]
Sav...@aol.com
2021-03-31 05:25:42 UTC
http://youtu.be/snQHGpMOfKQ
This is no good, it won a round in 1957. Only the yearlies, the unreleased, and the albums battles matter.
Rick Schubert
2021-03-31 08:15:55 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
Rang Tang Ding Dong (I Am The Japanese Sandman) - Cellos - Apollo 510 - 1957
http://youtu.be/snQHGpMOfKQ
This is no good, it won a round in 1957. Only the yearlies, the unreleased, and the albums battles matter.
I now see that it was listed as "Ring Tang Ding Dong." That's the problem with relying on typos.

I'll have a replacement later today.
Rick Schubert
2021-03-31 21:27:29 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
Post by ***@aol.com
Post by Rick Schubert
Rang Tang Ding Dong (I Am The Japanese Sandman) - Cellos - Apollo 510 - 1957
http://youtu.be/snQHGpMOfKQ
This is no good, it won a round in 1957. Only the yearlies, the unreleased, and the albums battles matter.
I now see that it was listed as "Ring Tang Ding Dong." That's the problem with relying on typos.
I'll have a replacement later today.
Replacement:

Walking Along - Solitaires - Old Town 1034 - 1957

[Lost 24-6 in Round 1 of the 1957 Battle to: The Coasters - Young Blood - Atco 6087]
Sav...@aol.com
2021-03-31 21:32:22 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
Walking Along - Solitaires - Old Town 1034 - 1957
http://youtu.be/aCAQ6Z9Brt4
[Lost 24-6 in Round 1 of the 1957 Battle to: The Coasters - Young Blood - Atco 6087]
A great record like "Walking Along" deserves another crack after facing an even greater record in the first round.
md
2021-04-01 02:55:44 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
Walking Along - Solitaires - Old Town 1034 - 1957
http://youtu.be/aCAQ6Z9Brt4
[Lost 24-6 in Round 1 of the 1957 Battle to: The Coasters - Young Blood - Atco 6087]
A great record like "Walking Along" deserves another crack after facing an
even greater record in the first round.
Agree. It was on my short list for a future round and I'm sorry Rick beat me
to it.

2021-04-01 22:26:19 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
Rang Tang Ding Dong (I Am The Japanese Sandman) - Cellos - Apollo 510 - 1957
http://youtu.be/snQHGpMOfKQ
This is no good, it won a round in 1957. Only the yearlies, the unreleased, and the albums battles matter.
Did you intentionally omit others of Roger's Battles, such as Flipsides, Vocal Groups, etc.? I
don't think you excluded those when you posted the new rules.

The reason I am asking now is that Mark nominated:

Don't Dog Me - Cyde [sic] McPhatter

for this month. That wasn't on my list of songs that had never won. But, although it lost in
Round 1 of the 1960 Battle, it won through Round 4 of the Vocal Groups Encore Battle and through
Round 3 of the Flipsides Battle.

I haven't checked most of the other nominees.
Sav...@aol.com
During the course of the new rules Roger suggested and I agreed that only the years, the albums, and the unreleased battles mattered for the new rules. That way there are no songs to worry about that are in more than one contest.
Rick Schubert
2021-04-02 04:11:21 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
[...]
Thanks. I just went back and read the thread. I'm fairly certain that I read it the first time,
but it must not have sunk in. Either that, or I was too busy generating the list of songs that I
posted (using the Old version of the New Rules) that I didn't see the discussion until after I
finished the list, and then maybe I missed something.

So the list I posted

is missing songs that:

a) appeared in the years, the albums, or the unreleased battles without winning any rounds
b) and did win rounds in the other battles

but erroneously includes songs that:

c) appeared in those other battles without winning any rounds
d) and did not appear in the years, the albums, or the unreleased battles.

I'll generate a new list when I get a chance.
DianeE
2021-04-02 05:49:23 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
Post by Rick Schubert
[...]
-------------
When you do that, can you also delete the Christmas songs like
"Christmas In Hollis" by Run-DMC which are not from the 50s era?
Rick Schubert
2021-04-07 23:27:16 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
Post by Rick Schubert
[...]
Definitely. Those songs are automatically deleted because the Christmas Battle was not one of the
ones included by the New Rules.

The new list has 7041 songs. Rather than posting it here, where many of you may not be able to get
it, I've uploaded it to Marc's old Battle website:

http://marcdashevsky.com/Battle/NoWins-EligibleBattles.txt

You can download it from there.

Please let me know of any errors or other issues.

DianeE
2021-03-31 16:23:12 UTC
http://youtu.be/dzZhsPLC5_U
[Lost 16-9 in the Prelims of the 1960 Battle to: Elvis Presley - The Girl Of My Best Friend]
-------------
Shocking!
-------------
Post by Rick Schubert
My Girl Friend - Cadillacs - Josie 820 - 1957
http://youtu.be/ZnaTWXFJFT0
[Lost 20-4 in Round 1 of the 1957 Battle to: Norman Fox & The Rob-Roys - Tell Me Why]
---------------
Even more shocking--not the loss, but the lopsidedness of it.
Sav...@aol.com
2021-03-31 16:35:08 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
My Girl Friend - Cadillacs - Josie 820 - 1957
http://youtu.be/ZnaTWXFJFT0
[Lost 20-4 in Round 1 of the 1957 Battle to: Norman Fox & The Rob-Roys - Tell Me Why]
Even more shocking--not the loss, but the lopsidedness of it.
I was one of the four I think.