Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - August - Preliminary Round - Group 7
2020-08-08 12:50:51 UTC

Mind Your Own Business Babe - Arthur Gunter

Special Lesson #1 - Billy Tate

I'm A Lonely Man - Little Milton

Taxi Driver - John Lee Hooker

I Don't Know What It Is But I Like It - Varetta Dillard

SavoyBG
2020-08-08 12:51:23 UTC

1. Mind Your Own Business Babe - Arthur Gunter
2. Special Lesson #1 - Billy Tate
3. I'm A Lonely Man - Little Milton
4. Taxi Driver - John Lee Hooker
5. I Don't Know What It Is But I Like It - Varetta Dillard
Steve Mc
2020-08-08 13:57:41 UTC
1. Mind Your Own Business Babe - Arthur Gunter

2. I'm A Lonely Man - Little Milton

3. Special Lesson #1 - Billy Tate

4. I Don't Know What It Is But I Like It - Varetta Dillard

5. Taxi Driver - John Lee Hooker

SavoyBG
We match again!
Roger Ford
2020-08-08 13:58:25 UTC
Special Lesson #1 - Billy Tate - 8
I'm A Lonely Man - Little Milton - 7
Mind Your Own Business Babe - Arthur Gunter - 7
I Don't Know What It Is But I Like It - Varetta Dillard - 6
Taxi Driver - John Lee Hooker - 6

2020-08-08 14:06:43 UTC
Mind Your Own Business Babe - Arthur Gunter
http://youtu.be/VXHz3qOI8Ws
Late one here from ol' Arthur who's getting to be a permanent fixture
in these contests. Not up to his best but still the better side of his
1960 "Little Blue Jeans Woman" outing on Excello
Post by SavoyBG
Special Lesson #1 - Billy Tate
http://youtu.be/_Kmc-smemQw
Excellent New Orleans style r&b from Blind Billy Tate whose main claim
to fame was his great "Single Life" cut for Imperial in 1955 and
backed up by Dave Bartholomew & co. For the entry nominated here Billy
went into the studio with Jay Miller in Crowley La. The date of this
session is in some dispute with some sources saying 1959 but Bruce
Bastin maintaining in his sleeve notes to the 1977 UK Flyright LP (on
which this track first surfaced) that it is from an earlier session
than that
Post by SavoyBG
I'm A Lonely Man - Little Milton
http://youtu.be/NLsuuwqnXMk
After stints with both Sun and Meteor in Memphis Milton relocated to
East St Louis where he co-founded his own label Bobbin in 1958 which
put out a series of singles by him. Of which the first---the fine "I'm
A Lonely Man" was also one of the best
Post by SavoyBG
Taxi Driver - John Lee Hooker
http://youtu.be/DV1R2BhK6yI
"Taxi Driver"....ahhh it brings back the memories as Hooker pays
homage here to that most noble of all professions.......

Recorded ca. November 1954 backing personnel include : Otis Finch
(ten) Bob Thurman (pno) Eddie Kirkland (gtr) Tom Whitehead
(dms).Session engineer Joe Siracuse. Released as Modern 958 ca. May
1955 (b/w "You Receive Me" from a slightly earlier session)
Post by SavoyBG
I Don't Know What It Is But I Like It - Varetta Dillard
http://youtu.be/GIMevFUrxzs
Nearing the end of a long recording career here's Miss Varetta on the
side I like best from her last of three singles on MGM's Cub
subsidiary label in 1961.

2020-08-08 14:53:03 UTC
1 I Don't Know What It Is But I Like It - Varetta Dillard
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/GIMevFUrxzs
2 Special Lesson #1 - Billy Tate
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/_Kmc-smemQw
3 Mind Your Own Business Babe - Arthur Gunter
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/VXHz3qOI8Ws
4 I'm A Lonely Man - Little Milton
http://youtu.be/NLsuuwqnXMk
http://youtu.be/DV1R2BhK6yI
DianeE
2020-08-08 15:12:43 UTC
1-I'm A Lonely Man - Little Milton
Rick Schubert
2020-08-08 15:24:20 UTC
1. I Don't Know What It Is But I Like It - Varetta Dillard
2. Mind Your Own Business Babe - Arthur Gunter
3. I'm A Lonely Man - Little Milton
4. Special Lesson #1 - Billy Tate
5. Taxi Driver - John Lee Hooker
Carl
2020-08-08 16:04:39 UTC
1. Taxi Driver - John Lee Hooker
SavoyBG
2020-08-08 17:13:59 UTC

1. Mind Your Own Business Babe - Arthur Gunter - 35
2. Special Lesson #1 - Billy Tate - 32
3. I'm A Lonely Man - Little Milton - 31
4. I Don't Know What It Is But I Like It - Varetta Dillard - 24

5. Taxi Driver - John Lee Hooker - 15

Brucie has the winning record again with the infectious AG song. Roger's Lesson is second followed closely by Diane's LM record. Mark's Dillard wins a tie breaker with Diane's 24 pointer so it could advance if we get some low scoring 4th place items in the next 2 rounds. Carl's taxi is out.
SavoyBG
2020-08-08 17:15:03 UTC
1. Mind Your Own Business Babe - Arthur Gunter - 35
2. Special Lesson #1 - Billy Tate - 32
3. I'm A Lonely Man - Little Milton - 31
4. I Don't Know What It Is But I Like It - Varetta Dillard - 24
5. Taxi Driver - John Lee Hooker - 15
Correction o a point total.
3. I'm A Lonely Man - Little Milton - 29
Bill B
2020-08-08 17:55:42 UTC

Rest easy, Mark. I have records in both those rounds.
Bill B
2020-08-08 20:17:52 UTC
On second thought, maybe that fact is not good news for you. With mine getting less, the fourth place items presumably get more.
SavoyBG
2020-08-08 21:25:11 UTC
4. I Don't Know What It Is But I Like It - Varetta Dillard - 24
Mark's Dillard wins a tie breaker with Diane's 24 pointer so it could advance if we get some low scoring 4th place items in the next 2 rounds.
Rest easy, Mark. I have records in both those rounds.
On second thought, maybe that fact is not good news for you. With mine getting less, the fourth place items presumably get more.
In general I would describe your nominations this month as gimmicky (almost novelty) lightweight doo wop, although I do like the Six Teens record which is in Group 9.