Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - July - Prelims - Group 7
2019-07-07 14:17:24 UTC

GROUP 7

Boot em Up - Du Droppers

Dear I Swear - Plants

Thrill of Love - Solitaires

When - Flamingos

SavoyBG
2019-07-07 14:25:37 UTC

Thrill of Love - Solitaires - 7
Dear I Swear - Plants - 6
Boot em Up - Du Droppers - 5
When - Flamingos - 5
Steve Mc
2019-07-07 14:56:50 UTC
1. Boot em Up - Du Droppers

2. When - Flamingos -

3. Thrill of Love - Solitaires

4. Dear I Swear - Plants

2-4 were very close for me, so I ranked them by with the better looking
labels.

2019-07-07 14:38:53 UTC
GROUP 7
1 When - Flamingos
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/iTxtDl-yJCo
2 Thrill of Love - Solitaires
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/SAPOW9KnPjw
3 Dear I Swear - Plants
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/no-BDfydglY
This deserves better, but the competition is so formidable.

4 Boot em Up - Du Droppers
http://youtu.be/To2ajmYNVq8
Dennis C
2019-07-07 15:43:49 UTC
1- "When"- Just a good solid record. Dynamite lead singer with squeeky- clean backing!!

2- "Boot 'em Up"- Can't boot 'em out!!!!
Jumpin' Jivin' jehoshphatish Du Droppers get it done!!

3- " Dear I Swear" Groyp should call themselves the POTTED Plants!! Song goes nowhere! Pianist was a recent Chop Sticks grad.

4 " "Thrill of Love"- Sentimental syrypy schmaltz!! Guitarist plays just three notes....not three chords...notes...and not in arpeggiotic repeats...JUST THREE FUCKIN NOTES!!!
DianeE
2019-07-07 15:54:29 UTC
1-Boot em Up - Du DroppersThis one rocks LAMF.

Then there's a huge gap, one might even say a chasm. I don't like any
of the other records. "Thrill of Love" is so draggy it would be last if
it weren't for Milton Love's great lead voice.

2-When - Flamingos
3-Thrill of Love - Solitaires
4-Dear I Swear - Plants
SavoyBG
2019-07-07 16:13:48 UTC
On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 11:54:34 AM UTC-4, DianeE wrote:

"Thrill of Love" is so draggy

Why is it that you white people always want to speed everything up?
DianeE
2019-07-07 18:45:50 UTC
"Thrill of Love" is so draggy
Why is it that you white people always want to speed everything up?
---------

Because then it'll sound like "Boot 'Em Up," which you krauts can't even
relate to. Oh, no, a *beat*, I might have to dance to it. The horror,
the horror.
Jim Colegrove
2019-07-07 16:09:21 UTC
1. Boot em Up - Du Droppers

2. When - Flamingos

3. Thrill of Love - Solitaires

4. Dear I Swear - Plants
DianeE
2019-07-07 18:55:33 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
1. Boot em Up - Du Droppers
2. When - Flamingos
3. Thrill of Love - Solitaires
4. Dear I Swear - Plants
------------
As Earl King reminds us, there's always a first time for everything, and
I believe this is the first time that Jim and I have voted the same way.

And BTW I have dibs on that Earl King flip side for the next cusp
contest!!!!!
Bill B
2019-07-07 20:18:39 UTC
If we're calling dibs two months in advance, I call dibs on "Old MacDonald" by Nolan Strong & the Diablos.
DianeE
2019-07-07 23:03:41 UTC
And BTW I have dibs on that Earl King flip side for the next cusp
contest!!!!!
If we're calling dibs two months in advance, I call dibs on "Old MacDonald" by Nolan Strong & the Diablos.
----------
Whoa! Excellent choice!

Roger Ford
2019-07-07 18:09:18 UTC
GROUP 7
Boot em Up - Du Droppers - 7
Thrill of Love - Solitaires - 6
When - Flamingos - 6
Dear I Swear - Plants - 6

2019-07-07 18:31:30 UTC
GROUP 7
Boot em Up - Du Droppers - 7
"The boys romp thru a joyous opus,selling it strongly.Good for dancing
and the side figures to attract welcome jukebox coin" (BILLBOARD
review September 18 1954)
Post by Roger Ford
Thrill of Love - Solitaires - 6
Co-written by someone named Berry Gordy who'd never be heard from
again,this was the okay flip to "I Really Love You So (Honey Babe)"
(which I like better) and was the followup to the Old Town release of
"Walking Along"
Post by Roger Ford
When - Flamingos - 6
Moderate Flamingos entry that doesn't really go anywhere for me. Their
first release on Checker and the direct followup to their "Ko Ko Mo"
on Parrot that also features in this contest
Post by Roger Ford
Dear I Swear - Plants - 6
Average entry by Baltimore group. Their debut release on Zell Sanders'
J & S label

2019-07-07 19:10:29 UTC
Tie on the first three and the Solitaires need a little boost to try and get them to 23 points.

The Thrill of Love
When
Boot ‘em Up
Dear I Swear
Rick Schubert
2019-07-07 19:38:13 UTC
1. Dear I Swear - Plants
2. Boot em Up - Du Droppers
3. When - Flamingos
4. Thrill of Love - Solitaires

Unfortunately, the doo-wops are grouped together again.
OleManRiver
2019-07-07 20:02:30 UTC
1. Boot em Up - Du Droppers
2. When - Flamingos
3. Dear I Swear - Plants
4. Thrill of Love - Solitaires
SavoyBG
2019-07-07 20:52:47 UTC

1. Boot em Up - Du Droppers - 31
2. When - Flamingos - 28
3. Thrill of Love - Solitaires - 23

4. Dear I Swear - Plants - 18

The Plants are out, the other 3 will move on.
Dennis C
2019-07-07 21:21:02 UTC
Solitaires are obviously being given a push on reputation and personal biases!!

That record is egregious!!
SavoyBG
2019-07-07 21:35:19 UTC
Solitaires are obviously being given a push on reputation and personal biases!!
That record is egregious!!
Eat dick, dork. It's a very good ballad.

And ranking the songs is 100% personal preference.
Dennis C
2019-07-07 21:54:05 UTC
My statement is that biased persons like you are ranking not the songs, but the preferred artists. Sort of like any turd....you give it a pass, baby!!
SavoyBG
2019-07-07 22:17:29 UTC
My statement is that biased persons like you are ranking not the songs, but the preferred artists. Sort of like any turd....you give it a pass, baby!!
The Flamingos are much higher on my favorite artists list than any other act in this group, yet I ranked their record last, you idiot.