Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - July - Prelims - Group 6
2019-07-07 00:27:26 UTC

Poison Ivy - Two Crows & The Diggers

Girlie That I Love - Cellos

Shtiggy Boom - Patti Anne & The Flames

Crazy, Crazy Lovin' - Johnny Carroll

SavoyBG
2019-07-07 00:34:16 UTC

1. Poison Ivy - Two Crows & The Diggers - 9
2. Crazy, Crazy Lovin' - Johnny Carroll - 6
3. Girlie That I Love - Cellos - 5
4. Shtiggy Boom - Patti Anne & The Flames - 5
Steve Mc
2019-07-07 03:06:51 UTC
1. Poison Ivy - Two Crows & The Diggers

2. Crazy, Crazy Lovin' - Johnny Carroll

3. Girlie That I Love - Cellos

4. Shtiggy Boom - Patti Anne & The Flames

2019-07-07 00:59:46 UTC
1- "Girlie That I Love"- Splendid vocal blend even though the lead gets buried through the bridge. Mr sax man saves his ass!!

2-"Poison Ivy"- The backing musicians are in every pocket on this lively romp, baby!!

3- "Shtiggy Boom"- Patti Anne does what she can with this repetitive pablum.

4 "Crazy Lovin" There's only one Elvis, cluck!!!
Roger Ford
2019-07-07 02:54:35 UTC
Poison Ivy - Two Crows & The Diggers -8
Crazy, Crazy Lovin' - Johnny Carroll - 7
Girlie That I Love - Cellos- 6
Shtiggy Boom - Patti Anne & The Flames -5

2019-07-07 03:29:50 UTC
Poison Ivy - Two Crows & The Diggers -8
Larry Mead's "Dig This Record" label was a poverty row cheapie outfit
located in Pasadena that put out a series of 4 track EP's covering
huge R&B hits of the day using not quite so huge completely unknown
artists. This cover of Willie Mabon's "Poison Ivy" comes from such an
entry in the series that also contained "You Upset Me Baby","Last
Night" and "Ko Ko Mo" (and good luck withr finding an original copy of
this record today!!).

Willie Egan(s),he of later "Wear Your Black Dress" fame leads the
outfit doing the covering here---and a mighty fine job he does too!!
Post by Roger Ford
Crazy, Crazy Lovin' - Johnny Carroll - 7
Originally recorded on Decca in 1956 the song was used to great effect
in a memorable performance by Johnny Carroll & The Hot Rocks in the
otherwise low budget Grade Z r&r movie "Rock Baby Rock It" in 1957
that also redeemed itself with excellent cameos by Rosco Gordon & The
FIve Stars

Post by Roger Ford
Girlie That I Love - Cellos- 6
I really like their "Rang Tang Ding Dong (I Am The Japanese Sandman)"
but I find most of their other songs too contrived
Post by Roger Ford
Shtiggy Boom - Patti Anne & The Flames -5
There were no less than SIX versions of this number out in 1955 (this
one,Joe Houston .The Nuggets,Bill Johnson Quartet,The Dooley Sisters &
The Jac-O-Lacs and the original by co-writer Leo Diamond).I'm not real
big on the song itself but the one I like best is Joe Houston (vocal
by The Platters)

2019-07-07 03:36:07 UTC
I'm not with you here. "Rang Tang" is pretty hokey. Their best records are 2 good ballads, "You Took My Love" and "I Beg For Your Love."
Roger Ford
2019-07-07 04:44:31 UTC
Girlie That I Love - Cellos- 6
I really like their "Rang Tang Ding Dong (I Am The Japanese Sandman)"
but I find most of their other songs too contrived
I'm not with you here. "Rang Tang" is pretty hokey. Their best records are 2 good ballads, "You Took My Love" and "I Beg For Your Love."
"You Took My Love" is okay I have it in my 1957 list..The other one is
so-so. I was thinking more of "The Juicy Crocodile" and "The Be-Bop
Mouse" in my description

2019-07-07 04:16:53 UTC
1. Girlie That I Love - Cellos
2. Poison Ivy - Two Crows & The Diggers
3. Shtiggy Boom - Patti Anne & The Flames
4. Crazy, Crazy Lovin' - Johnny Carroll
Carl
2019-07-07 06:16:36 UTC
Shtiggy Boom
Crazy Crazy Lovin’
Poison Ivy
Girlie That I Love
OleManRiver
2019-07-07 10:37:25 UTC
Bill B
2019-07-07 11:20:17 UTC
1 Girlie That I Love - Cellos
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/5vktACILeE4
2 Shtiggy Boom - Patti Anne & The Flames
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/faWm9Rbsr3c
3 Poison Ivy - Two Crows & The Diggers
http://youtu.be/hbyJLTsC6hA
http://youtu.be/5Y0m92WI2Z4
DianeE via Google
2019-07-07 13:32:13 UTC
For once i agree 100% with Bruce's votes.
Jim Colegrove
2019-07-07 13:45:15 UTC

SavoyBG
2019-07-07 14:15:55 UTC

1. Poison Ivy - Two Crows & The Diggers - 33
2. Girlie That I Love - Cellos - 27

3. Crazy, Crazy Lovin' - Johnny Carroll - 22
4. Shtiggy Boom - Patti Anne & The Flames - 18

Two Crows and the Cellos advance. Patti Anne is out for sure and Johnny Carroll is now the second third place item that will be out unless we get something under 22 points in the groups to come. This gets "Pussy Cat" in to the next round.