Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - June - Cusp Edition (1960-1963) - Preliminary Round - Group 1
2019-06-01 20:52:27 UTC
Okay, it seems clear to me that nobody else is coming in for June, so we might as well get started. Again we will have 11 preliminary rounds with the last place item in each group dropping out, along with the lowest scoring 3rd place item from any of the 11 groups. This gets us down to 32 items for the first round of the tournament.

Group 1 is now open. Please rank these from best to worst:

One More Chance - Carol Fran

Because Of You - Dreamers

Let's Go Home - Staple Singers

The Time Is Here - Solitaires

SavoyBG
2019-06-01 21:06:32 UTC

1. The Time Is Here - Solitaires - 6
2. One More Chance - Carol Fran - 5
3. Let's Go Home - Staple Singers - 5
4. Because Of You - Dreamers - 4
Steve Mc
2019-06-01 22:03:25 UTC
1. Let's Go Home - Staple Singers

2. One More Chance - Carol Fran

3. The Time Is Here - Solitaires

4. Because Of You - Dreamers

2019-06-01 21:32:34 UTC
1 The Time Is Here - Solitaires
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/ZMl-5_HhPvE
2 Because Of You - Dreamers
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/EdfcYVCf-QM
3 One More Chance - Carol Fran
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/0pGtRmCZ048
4 Let's Go Home - Staple Singers
http://youtu.be/guer6fzjido
Mark Dintenfass
2019-06-01 22:00:01 UTC
The Time Is Here - Solitaires
One More Chance - Carol Fran
Let's Go Home - Staple Singers
Because Of You - Dreamers

We agreed on all four. Your taste must be improving.
2019-06-01 22:20:35 UTC
1. Let's Go Home - Staple Singers
2. The Time Is Here - Solitaires
3. One More Chance - Carol Fran
4. Because Of You - Dreamers
Jim Colegrove
2019-06-01 23:05:08 UTC
1. Let's Go Home - Staple Singers

2. One More Chance - Carol Fran

3. Because Of You - Dreamers

4. The Time Is Here - Solitaires
SavoyBG
2019-06-01 23:32:44 UTC
Diane's ballot.

4. Because Of You - Dreamers
Dennis C
2019-06-02 00:23:07 UTC
1- "Let's Go Home" Starts out with old man Staples mush-mouthing it but then Mavis brings some muscle and this waxes sublime to a dramtic quick end!

2- "One More Chance"- Carol Fran's got a jagged,hiccupy, plaintiveness that works!! Solid mellow groove on the backup band.

3- "Because of You"- Because of that Billy Stewart like gimmick, this otherwise solid hroup vical grts third place

4- "The Time is Here"- Hummeth Drummeth, baby!!
Carl
2019-06-02 04:22:13 UTC
Carol Fran - One More Chance
Staples Singers - Let’s Go Home
Dreamers - Because Of You
The Solitaires - The Time Is Here
Roger Ford
2019-06-02 04:39:22 UTC
Let's Go Home - Staple Singers 7
The Time Is Here - Solitaires - 6
One More Chance - Carol Fran - 6
Because Of You - Dreamers - 6

Congrats to Liverpool last night!

CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE!!

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

2019-06-02 05:03:28 UTC
Let's Go Home - Staple Singers 7
Never a single this very good Staples number appears on their Vee Jay
"Will The Circle Be Unbroken" LP in 1960 and again on the "Swing Low"
album a year later
Post by Roger Ford
The Time Is Here - Solitaires - 6
Nice smooth performance by the boys but a very ordinary song.Their
last official release for Old Town in 1963
Post by Roger Ford
One More Chance - Carol Fran - 6
Come back Emmitt Lee,all is forgiven
Post by Roger Ford
Because Of You - Dreamers - 6
Recorded for the Cousins outfit in the Bronx (the original label for
The Regents' "Barbara Ann" generally regarded as the most sought after
record on the label) this one takes "Because Of You" to places Tony
Bennett never dreamed of

2019-06-02 19:26:14 UTC
Because Of You - Dreamers - 6
Recorded for the Cousins outfit in the Bronx (the original label for
The Regents' "Barbara Ann" generally regarded as the most sought after
record on the label) this one takes "Because Of You" to places Tony
Bennett never dreamed of
--------------
Good grief! I didn't even realize it was the same song!

Bob Roman
2019-06-02 13:49:15 UTC
1. Carol Fran
2. Solitaires