Ken Burns, Country Music (about 4/5 OT)
2019-06-13 20:26:35 UTC
Ken Burns has another PBS documentary coming out in September. this one about country music. The accompanying 5-disc album is coming out in August. The song listing was announced today.

Disc One
"Can the Circle Be Unbroken (Bye and Bye)" - Carter Family
"Mule Skinner Blues (Blue Yodel No. 8)" - Jimmie Rodgers
"Barbara Allen" - Bradley Kincaid
"I'll Fly Away" - James and Martha Carson
"If the River Was Whiskey" - Charlie Poole with the North Carolina Ramblers
"Fox Chase" - DeFord Bailey
"Blue Yodel No. 9 (Standin' on the Corner)" - Jimmie Rodgers
"Wildwood Flower" - Carter Family
"In the Jailhouse Now" - Jimmie Rodgers
"Comin' Round the Mountain" - Uncle Dave Macon and Sam McGee
"Pretty Polly" - Coon Creek Girls
"T.B. Blues" - Jimmie Rodgers
"Mountain Dew" - Grandpa Jones and His Grandchildren
"Home on the Range" - Gene Autry
"I Want to Be a Cowboy's Sweetheart" - Patsy Montana and the Prairie Ramblers
"Tumbling Tumbleweeds" - Sons of the Pioneers
"Keep on the Sunny Side"/ "I'm Thinking Tonight of My Blue Eyes" - Carter Family
"The Great Speckled Bird" - Roy Acuff
"Whoa Babe" - Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys
"New San Antonio Rose" - Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys
"Wabash Cannon Ball" - Roy Acuff and His Smoky Mountain Boys
"Mule Skinner Blues" - Bill Monroe and His Blue Grass Boys

Disc Two
"Honky Tonkin'" - Hank Williams with His Drifting Cowboys
"It's Mighty Dark to Travel" - Bill Monroe and His Blue Grass Boys
"New Mule Skinner Blues" - Maddox Brothers and Rose
"I'll Hold You in My Heart (Till I Can Hold You in My Arms)" - Eddy Arnold and His Tennessee Plowboys
"Foggy Mountain Breakdown" - Lester Flatt, Earl Scruggs and the Foggy Mountain Boys
"Molly and Tenbrook" - Stanley Brothers
"Lovesick Blues" - Hank Williams with His Drifting Cowboys
"I Saw the Light" - Hank Williams
"Hey, Good Lookin'" - Hank Williams
"It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels" - Kitty Wells
"I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" - Hank Williams with His Drifting Cowboys
"Jambalaya" - Little Brenda Lee
"New Step It Up and Go" - Maddox Brothers and Rose
"I Walk the Line" - Johnny Cash & the Tennessee Two
"Crazy Arms" - Ray Price
"Bye, Bye Love" - Everly Brothers
"The Long Black Veil" - Lefty Frizzell
"El Paso" - Marty Robbins
"Night Life" - Ray Price
"Hello Walls" - Faron Young
"I Fall to Pieces" - Patsy Cline
"Ring of Fire" - Johnny Cash
"Crazy" - Patsy Cline
"I Can't Stop Loving You" - Ray Charles

Disc Three
"Dang Me" - Roger Miller
"I've Got a Tiger by the Tail" - Buck Owens
"Don't Come Home a-Drinkin' (With Lovin' on Your Mind)" - Loretta Lynn
"Coal Miner's Daughter" - Loretta Lynn
"Kiss an Angel Good Mornin'" - Charley Pride
"Hungry Eyes" - Merle Haggard and the Strangers
"Mama Tried" - Merle Haggard and the Strangers
"Harper Valley P.T.A." - Jeannie C. Riley
"Don't Touch Me" - Jeannie Seely
"Folsom Prison Blues" - Johnny Cash
"Stand by Your Man" - Tammy Wynette
"She Thinks I Still Care" - George Jones
"You Ain't Going Nowhere" - The Byrds
"Me and Bobby McGee" - Kris Kristofferson
"Help Me Make It Through the Night" - Sammi Smith
"Sunday Morning Coming Down" - Kris Kristofferson
"Okie From Muskogee" - Merle Haggard and the Strangers
"Man in Black" - Johnny Cash
"Girl From the North Country" - Bob Dylan with Johnny Cash
"Grand Ole Opry Song" - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
"Will the Circle Be Unbroken" - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Disc Four
"Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way" - Waylon Jennings
"Mule Skinner Blues (Blue Yodel No. 8)" - Dolly Parton
"Jolene" - Dolly Parton
"I Will Always Love You" - Dolly Parton
"We're Gonna Hold On - George Jones and Tammy Wynette
"Texas Cookin'" - Guy Clark
"If I Needed You" - Townes Van Zandt
"I Can't Stop Loving You" - Johnny Rodriguez
"I've Been a Long Time Leaving (But I'll Be a Long Time Gone)" - Waylon Jennings
"Love Hurts (Live)" - Gram Parsons and the Fallen Angels
"Boulder to Birmingham" - Emmylou Harris
"Bluebird Wine" - Emmylou Harris
"Whiskey River" - Willie Nelson
"Miles and Miles of Texas" - Asleep at the Wheel
"Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" - Willie Nelson
"Good Hearted Woman" - Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson
"Family Tradition" - Hank Williams Jr.
"Seven Year Ache" - Rosanne Cash
"Pancho and Lefty" - Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard
"He Stopped Loving Her Today" - George Jones

Disc Five
"Don't Get Above Your Raisin'" - Ricky Skaggs
"On the Road Again" - Willie Nelson
"Amarillo by Morning" - George Strait
"Somebody Should Leave" - Reba McEntire
"Diggin' Up Bones" - Randy Travis
"Why Not Me" - The Judds
"Honky Tonk Man" - Dwight Yoakam
"Streets of Bakersfield" - Dwight Yoakam with Buck Owens
"Where've You Been" - Kathy Mattea
"I'm No Stranger to the Rain" - Keith Whitley
"Go Rest High on That Mountain" - Vince Gill
"Guitar Town" - Steve Earle
"She's in Love With the Boy" - Trisha Yearwood
"Tennessee Flat Top Box" - Rosanne Cash
"Get Up John" - Emmylou Harris & the Nash Ramblers
"Uncle Pen" - Ricky Skaggs
"I Still Miss Someone" - Rosanne Cash
"Will the Circle Be Unbroken" - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

2019-06-13 20:36:17 UTC
Ken Burns has another PBS documentary coming out in September. this one about
country music. The accompanying 5-disc album is coming out in August. The
song listing was announced today.
The song list is rather predictable, so I guess the documentary will
play it old school, in which case why bother? The first part might
provide some nice, unfamiliar footage though.
2019-06-13 21:18:01 UTC
In article <>, Bob
Post by Bob Roman
Ken Burns has another PBS documentary coming out in September. this one about
country music. The accompanying 5-disc album is coming out in August. The
song listing was announced today.
The song list is rather predictable, so I guess the documentary will
play it old school, in which case why bother? The first part might
provide some nice, unfamiliar footage though.
Very similar to the Smithsonian Collection I have, which is 8 disks. It would have to be predictable, if it's a history of Country Music.

Don't Ken Burns' documentaries only contain still pictures?
SavoyBG
They do if the subject is The Civil War or something else before there were movies.
Mark Dintenfass
2019-06-13 23:56:16 UTC
In article <>, Bob
Post by Bob Roman
Ken Burns has another PBS documentary coming out in September. this one about
country music. The accompanying 5-disc album is coming out in August. The
song listing was announced today.
The song list is rather predictable, so I guess the documentary will
play it old school, in which case why bother? The first part might
provide some nice, unfamiliar footage though.
Very similar to the Smithsonian Collection I have, which is 8 disks. It would
have to be predictable, if it's a history of Country Music.
It was precisely that similarity I had in mind when I said why bother.
2019-06-14 00:17:16 UTC
It will differ in the way he will slap s civil rights spin on it and bemoan the fact that black folk were put upon, marigalized, and quashed!!

All of Burns' work are a bullet train freedom ride, baby!!

His documentary skills and structure are nonpareil however!!
Bob Roman
2019-06-14 00:37:43 UTC
Given this song listing, I'm guessing that the film will take the Bristol Sessions 1927 "big bang" interpretation, ignoring earlier recordings by people like Eck Robertson and Fiddlin John Carson.

Also, I notice that western swing is covered entirely by a couple Bob Wills songs. No Milton Brown, no Spade Cooley. That's the second time that Burns has failed to give western swing its proper due.

And, aside from the Everlys, this track listing doesn't deal with the fact that the early white rock & roll had a country influence.

2019-06-14 11:53:37 UTC
You hit the nail AFAIC.
DianeE
2019-06-14 00:41:29 UTC
From the sublime to the ridiculous, is my opinion.
DianeE
2019-06-14 12:13:46 UTC
From the sublime to the ridiculous, is my opinion.
-----------
Meaning I love the early stuff, although much of it was covered by
"American Epic."
With a few exceptions I have no use for country music from the 1960s on.
t***@iwvisp.com
2019-06-14 14:59:37 UTC
Interesting that the guy who had 54 Number One Country hits over 25 years is not included.

Ray Arthur
DianeE
2019-06-18 14:19:26 UTC
Post by t***@iwvisp.com
Interesting that the guy who had 54 Number One Country hits over 25 years is not included.
-----------
That does seem like a serious omission, especially when a song by The
Byrds and *three* by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band are included. Could it
have something to do with the label he was on?
t***@iwvisp.com
I doubt it. Decca, MCA, WB, Electra, WB.
t***@iwvisp.com
2019-06-18 20:19:21 UTC
Post by t***@iwvisp.com
Post by DianeE
Post by t***@iwvisp.com
Interesting that the guy who had 54 Number One Country hits over 25 years is not included.
That does seem like a serious omission, especially when a song by The
Byrds and *three* by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band are included. Could it
have something to do with the label he was on?
I doubt it. Decca, MCA, WB, Electra, WB.
(Mercury), Decca, MCA, WB, Electra, MCA