#1 HITS (GRADED) - 1954
2018-11-27 16:54:13 UTC
Since all the #1 records in the 1959 and 1960 series of posts
elsewhere have recieved my grading treatment I figured I'd extend it
to the earlier years not covered. So here goes with.....

1954

Oh My Papa Eddie Fisher 0
Secret Love Doris Day 6
Make Love To Me Jo Stafford 6
Wanted Perry Como 5
Little Things Mean A Lot Kitty Kallen 2
Sh-Boom Crew Cuts 3
Hey There Rosemary Clooney 5
This Ole House Rosemary Clooney 6
I Need You Now Eddie Fisher 1
Mr Sandman Chordettes 7

(based on Billboard best sellers chart)

2018-11-27 18:09:40 UTC
Since all the #1 records in the 1959 and 1960 series of posts
elsewhere have recieved my grading treatment I figured I'd extend it
to the earlier years not covered. So here goes with.....
1954
Oh My Papa Eddie Fisher 0 (1)
Secret Love Doris Day 6 (2)
Make Love To Me Jo Stafford 6 (6)
Wanted Perry Como 5 (2)
Little Things Mean A Lot Kitty Kallen 2 (2)
Sh-Boom Crew Cuts 3 (3)
Hey There Rosemary Clooney 5 (6)
This Ole House Rosemary Clooney 6 (5)
I Need You Now Eddie Fisher 1 (1)
Mr Sandman Chordettes 7 (6)
Roger Ford
2018-11-27 18:23:26 UTC
Since all the #1 records in the 1959 and 1960 series of posts
elsewhere have recieved my grading treatment I figured I'd extend it
to the earlier years not covered. So here goes with.....
1954
Secret Love Doris Day 6 (2)
I'm guessing The Moonglows may be to blame for the big difference
here. I give their version a 7 but it doesn't stop me liking Doris'
original as well
Post by Roger Ford
I Need You Now Eddie Fisher 1 (1)
What do you give Jerry Lee's version?

2018-11-27 19:25:53 UTC
Since all the #1 records in the 1959 and 1960 series of posts
elsewhere have recieved my grading treatment I figured I'd extend it
to the earlier years not covered. So here goes with.....
1954
Secret Love Doris Day 6 (2)
I'm guessing The Moonglows may be to blame for the big difference
here. I give their version a 7 but it doesn't stop me liking Doris'
original as well
One has nothing to do with the other for me. Like I gave the Fontanes "Hearts Of Stone" a 6. The Day versoion of "Secret Love" just stinks IMO.
http://youtu.be/VxTsxs0rd-M
Sounds like if the fidelity was good it would 5, maybe even 6. Much better background with the piano and nothing else.
Mark Dintenfass
2018-11-27 20:12:14 UTC
Since all the #1 records in the 1959 and 1960 series of posts
elsewhere have recieved my grading treatment I figured I'd extend it
to the earlier years not covered. So here goes with.....
1954
Oh My Papa Eddie Fisher 0
So that's what a zero sounds like. No argument from me.
Post by Roger Ford
Mr Sandman Chordettes 7
No argument here either. I still like hearing it occasionally. It's
sound was utterly new at the time and it still sounds fresh.