Joe B. Mauldin, Crickets, 74
2020-02-08 17:16:40 UTC
Joe B. Mauldin, the bassist for Buddy Holly's Crickets died Saturday morning in Nashville. He was 74.

A native of Lubbock, Texas, Mauldin joined Holly's band at age 16, appearing on such early rock-and-roll classics as That'll Be the Day, Peggy Sue, Rave On, Oh, Boy! and Maybe Baby.

After Holly's death in 1959, Mauldin went on to become an engineer at Gold Star Studios in Los Angeles and work with the likes of Phil Spector, Herb Alpert and Leon Russell.

Mauldin and fellow Crickets were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2012, along with Jerry Allison, Sonny Curtis and Niki Sullivan. Holly previously had been inducted in 1986.
Dennis C
2020-02-08 17:36:43 UTC
Pretty matter of fact report there, Raymond!!
The guy just died. You COULD be a little more maudlin about it, baby!!
t***@iwvisp.com
2020-02-08 17:50:30 UTC
You realize I don’t write these, right?!
Dennis C
2020-02-08 18:52:31 UTC
I love killing messengers so!!!

Creative editing, baby!@ Spoon out a little heart and soul, Ray Ray!!
DianeE
2020-02-08 19:47:25 UTC
Post by t***@iwvisp.com
You realize I don’t write these, right?!
----------
He was just trying to make a pun on maudlin/Mauldin, but it flew over
your head....just as Bill's pun about Hank Ballard & the Royals went
right over *Dennis's* head in the "Sir Van" thread.

Not a good day for corny humor today, it seems.
Dennis C
2020-02-09 02:10:56 UTC
Wait a minute!!
Yes, the Hank Ballard Royals reference was over my head but I comedically saved it with the Kaye Ballard allusion!! Sort of like Jim Edmunds laying out on the warning track with his back to the infield to make a sprawling catch!!!

Ray didn't do shit to save his fuck up!!
He was like a slump-shoulder Bill Virdon watching Mantle's blast clear the Forbes Field right center field wall in the 1960 World Series, baby!!
SavoyBG
2020-02-09 02:30:11 UTC
The math does not work. He's got to be older than 74. If he joined the band at age 16, in like 1957, he would have to at least be 78 now.
SavoyBG
2020-02-09 02:31:41 UTC
Post by t***@iwvisp.com
Joe B. Mauldin, the bassist for Buddy Holly's Crickets died Saturday morning in Nashville. He was 74.
Okay, he did die at 74, but that was 5 years ago.

Joseph Benson Mauldin, Jr. (July 8, 1940 – February 7, 2015)

You're getting some very old information, Ray.