April tournament entries
2021-04-03 18:47:35 UTC
With reference to the majority of the entries which are from the "in the
Battles but never won" list, I would like to know what other recording
defeated each one. What's the quickest way to find that out?
Roger Ford
2021-04-03 18:55:39 UTC
With reference to the majority of the entries which are from the "in the
Battles but never won" list, I would like to know what other recording
defeated each one. What's the quickest way to find that out?
If nobody comes through before I'll post the info tomorrow (Sun)

2021-04-04 09:15:05 UTC
With reference to the majority of the entries which are from the "in the
Battles but never won" list, I would like to know what other recording
defeated each one.
Q. What's the quickest way to find that out?
A. Carry on reading! :)

Okay here's how all the "in The Battles but never won" nominations
did in their respective yearly battles with details as Diane requested
of how they lost (and of course who to)

NOTE : MANY OF THEM *DID* WIN IN A PRELIMARY ROUND!
But the rules of Bruce's current contest as I understand them state
that all nominations are acceptable if they failed to get a Round One
win in their respective battle

Okay...adjust seat belts.......here we go!!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

MARK

DEAREST DARLING - BO DIDDLEY - 1958
Post by DianeE
PRELIM
4 The Four Coins - The World Outside - Epic 9295
22 Bo Diddley - Dearest Darling - Checker 896
WINNER : BO
R1
28 Eddie Cochran - C'mon Everybody - Liberty 55166
3 Bo Diddley - Dearest Darling - Checker 896
WINNER : COCHRAN
DON'T DOG ME - CLYDE McPHATTER - 1960
Post by DianeE
PRELIM
10 Roger Miller - You Don't Want My Love - RCA 47-7776 60
15 Clyde McPhatter - Don't Dog Me - Atlantic 2049
Nice win for early Drifters number here credited to Clyde solo
WINNER : CLYDE (DRIFTERS)
R1
15 Little Willie John - Sleep - King 5394
11 Clyde McPhatter - Don't Dog Me - Atlantic 2049
Triumph for mediocre LWJ over terrific early Drifters number
WINNER : LWJ
CRAZY ARMS - JERRY LEE LEWIS - 1956
Post by DianeE
R1
Howlin' Wolf - Smokestack Lightning - Chess 1618 v
Jerry Lee Lewis - Crazy Arms - Sun 159
Jerry Lee says bye bye here losing 17-4 but he'll be back later today!
WINNER - WOLF
MAYBE TOMORROW - EVERLY BROTHERS - 1957
Post by DianeE
R1
22 Bo Diddley - Hey Bo Diddley - Checker 860
7 The Everly Brothers - Maybe Tommorrow - Cadence 1337
WINNER : BO
GRANDPA STOLE MY BABY - ROY BROWN - 1953
Post by DianeE
PRELIM
7 The Pelicans - Aurelia - Parrot 793
10 Roy Brown - Grandpa Stole My Baby - King 4609
WINNER : BROWN
R1
4 Roy Brown - Grandpa Stole My Baby - King 4609
13 Jimmy McCracklin - She Felt Too Good - Peacock 1615
Excellent outing by McCracklin here and an excellent win for it
WINNER : MCCRACKLIN
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

BRUCE

LET'S HAVE SOME FUN - SLIM SAUNDERS - 1954
Post by DianeE
PRELIM
11 Slim Saunders - Let's Have Some Fun - Chess 1563
6 Earl Peterson - Boogie Blues - Sun 197
WINNER ; SAUNDERS
R1
9 Slim Saunders - Let's Have Some Fun - Chess 1563
15 The Orioles - In The Chapel In The Moonlight - Jubilee 5154
Sorry to see this terrific Saunders number flounder here as The Orioles claim the win
WINNER : ORIOLES
JUST A LITTLE WALK - BOBBY MARCHAN - 1953
Post by DianeE
PRELIM
5 Pete Hanley - Big Mamou - Okeh 6956
15 Bobby Marchan - Just A Little Walk - Aladdin 3189
WINNER : MARCHAN
R1
Post by DianeE
9 Jimmy Reed - I Found My Baby - Vee Jay 105
9 Bobby Marchan - Just A Little Walk - Aladdin 3189
The second draw....and the better record definitely suffers here. I voted for the
Marchan,a gem from 1953 that Bruce bought to my full attention
WINNER : REED
JUNGLE JUICE - STICKS McGHEE - 1953
Post by DianeE
PRELIM
13 Sticks McGhee - Jungle Juice - King 4672
6 The Orioles - I Cover The Waterfront - Jubilee 5120
WINNER : McGHEE
R1
8 Sticks McGhee - Jungle Juice - King 4672
10 Wynonie Harris - Down Boy Down - King 4685
I voted the other way but both of these are real good
WINNER : WYNONIE
HIGH LOW JACK - BUDDY LUCAS - 1954
Post by DianeE
PRELIM
4 The Orioles - Count Your Blessings - Jubilee 5172
15 Buddy Lucas - High Low Jack - Groove 0030
WINNER ; LUCAS
R1
11 Dr Ross - The Boogie Disease - Sun 212
9 Buddy Lucas - High Low Jack - Groove 0030
Nice to see the Good Dr take his primitive but infectious brand of blues thru to the next round
WINNER : ROSS
YOU'RE GONNA CRY - SPANIELS - 1957

R1
Post by DianeE
11 The Paragons - Let's Start All Over Again - Winley 220
10 The Spaniels - You're Gonna Cry - Vee Jay 257
This was a draw yesterday but a last minute vote favors Paragons
WINNER : PARAGONS
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROGER

SHE'S TOUGH - JERRY McCAIN - 1960
Post by DianeE
.PRELIM
14 Jerry McCain - She's Tough - Rex 1014
8 Bobby Charles - What A Party - Imperial 5681
Maybe the only McCain win we'll see this year? :)
WINNER : McCAIN
R1
Post by DianeE
8 Jerry McCain - She's Tough - Rex 1014
18 The Olympics - Dance By The Light Of The Moon - Arvee 5020
Another good win for the Olympics this time with my favorite record of the year by them
WINNER : OLYMPICS
TO BE LOVED (FOREVER) - PENTAGONS - 1960
Post by DianeE
R1
14 Little Willie John - Heartbreak (It's Hurtin' Me) - King 5356
13 The Pentagons - To Be Loved (Forever) - Fleet International 100
If LWJ can do this good over very formidable opponents then it will be interesting to see
how Jon Thomas gets on with his version in Part 2
WINNER : LWJ
TELL THE TRUTH - RAY CHARLES - 1960
Post by DianeE
R1
11 Ray Charles - Tell The Truth - Atlantic 2068
14 Roy Orbison - I'm Hurtin' - Monument 433
Always thought of this Orbison as kinda second tier. Amazing that it beats
one of the best RC Atlantic offerings of the year
WINNER : ORBISON
A GOOD MAN - IRMA THOMAS - 1960
Post by DianeE
PRELIM
16 Irma Thomas - A Good Man - Ron 330
5 Henry Strogin & The Crowns - Why Did You Go Away - Dynamic 1002
Irma is always good value for money and no exception here
WINNER : IRMA
R1
Post by DianeE
11 Irma Thomas - Good Man - Ron 330
12 The Revels - Church Key - C.T. 1
Sad to see Irma lose out here as the Revels book a Round 2 place
WINNER : REVELS
DARLING HONEY ANGEL CHILD - EARL KING - 1960
Post by DianeE
PRELIM
18 Earl King - Darling Honey Angel Child - Rex 1015
7 Marilyn Michaels - Tell Tommy I Miss Him - RCA 47-7771
King's win here flushes away Ms Michaels and her "Tell Laura..." reply
WINNER : KING
R1
Post by DianeE
5 Earl King - Darling Honey Angel Child - Rex 1015
22 Fats Domino - My Girl Josephine - Imperial 5704
Shame to see the demise of a good King number but he loses to a classic Fats
WINNER : FATS
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

STEVE

SCHOOL OF ROCK 'N' ROLL - GENE SUMMERS - 1958
Post by DianeE
PRELIM
10 Ray Price - Invitation To The Blues - Columbia 41191
9 Gene Summers - School Of Rock 'N' Roll - Jan 100
WINNER : PRICE
HUSH HUSH - JIMMY REED - 1960
Post by DianeE
R1
14 Rochell & The Candles - Once Upon A Time - Swingin' 623
13 Jimmy Reed - Hush Hush - Vee Jay 357
Another of my group favorites comes good!
WINNER : ROCHELL & CANDLES
LIPSTICK POWDER & PAINT - JOE TURNER - 1956
Post by DianeE
R1
Joe Turner - Lipstick Powder & Paint - Atlantic 1100 v
LaVern Baker - Jim Dandy - Atlantic 1116
LaVern does real well here to topple Big Joe 22-4
WINNER - LaVERN
I'M A LITTLE MIXED UP - BETTY JAMES - 1961
Post by DianeE
PRELIM
15 Sam Cooke - Just For You - Sar 122
13 Betty James - I'm A Little Mixed Up - Cee Jay 583
WINNER : COOKE
ANY WAY YOU WANT ME - ELVIS PRESLEY - 1956
Post by DianeE
R1
Chuck Berry - No Money Down - Chess 1615 v
Elvis Presley - Any Way You Want Me - RCA 6643
Chuck tips out a lesser Elvis here 14-9
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

CARL

RAINBOW - GENE CHANDLER - 1962
Post by DianeE
R1
11 Gene Chandler - Rainbow - Vee Jay 468
19 The Tornados - Telstar - UK Decca 11494
Only the 3rd UK record ever to top the US charts gets the win here
WINNER : TORNADOS
YIELD NOT TO TEMPTATION - BOBBY BLAND - 1962
Post by DianeE
R1
8 Bobby Bland - Yield Not To Temptation - Duke 352
12 The Upsetters - I'm In Love Again - Little Star 123
After his earlier win defeat here for Bland at the hands of the uncredited Little Richard
WINNER : UPSETTERS
THE RAINS CAME - BIG SAMBO & THE HOUSE WRECKERS - 1962
Post by DianeE
PRELIM
6 The Van Dykes - Stupidity - Atlantic 2161
16 Big Sambo & The House Wreckers - The Rains Came - Eric 7003
WINNER : SAMBO
R1
7 Big Sambo & The House Wreckers - The Rains Came - Eric 7003
23 The Cascades - Rhythm Of The Rain - Valiant 6026
A big and very memorable pop hit garners most of the votes here
WINNER : CASCADES
HULLY GULLY CALLIN' TIME - THE JIVE FIVE - 1962
Post by DianeE
PRELIM
3 The Escorts - Somewhere - Coral 42336
19 The Jive Five - Hully Gully Callin' Time - Beltone 2019
WINNER : JIVE FIVE
R1
13 Gene Pitney - Half Heaven-Half Heartache - Musicor 1026
10 The Jive Five - Hully Gully Callin' Time - Beltone 2019
Gene's dramatic ballad scores here to see off The Jive Five
WINNER : PITNEY
YOU SHOOK ME - MUDDY WATERS - 1962
Post by DianeE
R1
13 Muddy Waters - You Shook Me - Chess 1827
13 The Kingston Trio - Greenback Dollar - Capitol 4898
A draw here....and because I voted for Muddy the Kingstons go thru
WINNER : KINGSTON TRIO
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

DIANE

ABC'S OF LOVE = FRANKIE LYMON & TEENAGERS - 1956
Post by DianeE
R1
Bill Doggett - Honky Tonk - King 4950 v
Frankie Lymon & Teenagers - ABC's Of Love Gee 1022
After several wins Frankie goes down here big time to the best instrumental on offer 19-4
WINNER - DOGGETT
STAND BY ME - GUITAR SLIM - 1955
Post by DianeE
PRELIM
14 Count Basie - April In Paris - Clef 89162
8 Guitar Slim - Stand By Me - Specialty 542
Great win for Basie here over very good Guitar Slim outing
WINNER : BASIE
A WOMAN,A LOVER.A FRIEND - JACKIE WILSON - 1960
Post by DianeE
R1
16 Elvis Presley - A Mess Of Blues - RCA 47-7777
13 Jackie Wilson - A Woman,A Lover,A Friend - Brunswick 55167
Elvis puts out one of the rare GOOD Jackie Wilson records of the year
WINNER : ELVIS
CHONNIE-ON-CHON - JAMES BROWN - 1956
Post by DianeE
R1
Carl Perkins - Honey Don't - Sun 234 v
James Brown - Chonnie On Chon - Federal 12290
Carl at his best is no match here for a rockin' JB 18-5
WINNER - CARL
WAITIN' IN SCHOOL - RICKY NELSON - 1957
Post by DianeE
R1
10 Ricky Nelson - Waitin' In School - Imperial 5483
21 Roy Hamilton - Don't Let Go - Epic 9257
WINNER : HAMILTON
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

JIM

Jim nominated all "new" items that were never in any battles

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

RICK

DON'T TAKE YOUR LOVE FROM ME - CALVANES - 1955
Post by DianeE
PRELIM
9 Billy "The Kid" Emerson - When It Rains, It Pours - Sun 214
12 The Calvanes - Don't Take Your Love From Me - Dooto 371
Nice Calvanes flipside books place in Round 1
WINNER : CALVANES
R1
16 The Midnighters - It's Love Baby (24 Hours A Day) - Federal 12227
9 The Calvanes - Don't Take Your Love From Me - Dooto 371
I personally like the Brooks original of this song best but the Midnighters cover is close.Good Calvanes flip too
WINNER : MIDNIGHTERS
MAGIC KISS - KEYSTONERS - 1956
Post by DianeE
R1
Amos Milburn - Chicken Shack - Aladdin 3332 v
The Keystoners - Magic Kiss - G & M 102
Keystoners had no chance here against a terrfic Milburn side. Amos wins 18-3
WINNER - AMOS
PEOPLE WILL SAY WE'RE IN LOVE - SPANIELS - 1960
Post by DianeE
PRELIM
9 The Spaniels - People Will Say We're In Love - Vee Jay 342
16 Elvis Presley - The Girl Of My Best Friend - UK RCA 1194
This was locked in a near draw for the longest time but Elvis flexed his muscles at the end :)
WINNER : ELVIS
WALKING ALONG - SOLITAIRES - 1957
Post by DianeE
R1
6 The Solitaires - Walking Along - Old Town 1034
24 The Coasters - Young Blood - Atco 6087
WINNER : COASTERS
MY GIRL FRIEND - CADILLACS - 1957
Post by DianeE
R1
4 The Cadillacs - My Girl Friend - Josie 820
20 Norman Fox & The Rob-Roys - Tell Me Why - Back Beat 501
WINNER : ROB-ROYS

2021-04-04 10:38:56 UTC
Thanks so much for posting this. It brings back memories and clears up
a few mysteries. What could possibly have beaten X? Ohhhhhh....it was
Y! A few of them, though, are headscratchers!
2021-04-04 13:20:56 UTC
Yes, like who were all of these cunts who voted for TELSTAR over RAINBOW.
Will Dockery
It just shows that women shouldn't dabble in music. Damn cunts is right.
Dean F.
2021-04-07 07:48:11 UTC
It just shows that women shouldn't dabble in music. Damn cunts is right.
Sorry your dick is so small.
DianeE
2021-04-07 10:30:45 UTC
It just shows that women shouldn't dabble in music. Damn cunts is right.
Sorry your dick is so small.
I'm pretty sure that wasn't really Will Dockery (the guy from the Dylan
group) who wrote that, because his band has women in it.