Which Version Is Better?
2019-05-22 16:18:20 UTC

2019-05-22 16:28:07 UTC
http://youtu.be/VMyrIqiRVZU
http://youtu.be/CO4GmLn29Rw
Holy shit! How did the Crew Cuts ever make a tolerable "Sh-Boom"?

I remember having the Four Fellows 45.
SavoyBG
2019-05-22 17:32:54 UTC
They didn't. Their "Sh-Boom" is fucking disgraceful.
SavoyBG
2019-05-22 18:09:31 UTC
These two were released only a week or two apart and are on the same label.

Roger Ford
2019-05-22 19:00:20 UTC
These two were released only a week or two apart and are on the same label.
http://youtu.be/gRDLTF0djHg
http://youtu.be/XIEzSOjmLms
Mac Wiseman should have stepped it up and gone

2019-05-23 20:42:43 UTC
Another little known cover, which is better?

SavoyBG
2019-05-27 02:29:29 UTC

2019-05-27 19:38:53 UTC

2019-05-27 19:42:20 UTC

2019-05-29 12:24:13 UTC
http://youtu.be/BDiA7PeYMm8
http://youtu.be/SM12FbM3JuU
This Otto Bash record used to sell real well for us---no doubt due to
the obvious "connection"

2019-05-27 20:04:55 UTC
Good god!! Hands down!!
Elvis!!

Turtles sound like Grossberg, Bugge, Dintenfass, and Dean after tapping a keg of Ballentine, baby!
Roger Ford
2019-05-29 12:15:13 UTC
http://youtu.be/hZAcMTOUO1M
http://youtu.be/Ke9xJFO8rxc
This Turtles version from 1955 is RCA 47-6356 and the Elvis RCA
reissue (up to that point available on Sun) is just ONE number later
being 47-6357.

As far as the Turtles are concerned I prefer "Happy Together" :)

Eric Ramon
2019-05-28 04:14:40 UTC
http://youtu.be/jYaHXgecv4I
http://youtu.be/WFSvUd2Bl8E
good lord! Obviously, this is a rhetorical question.
Roger Ford
2019-05-29 12:09:52 UTC
http://youtu.be/jYaHXgecv4I
http://youtu.be/WFSvUd2Bl8E
Three years earlier these guys covered this one. The original is not
too hot IMO but I'm sure Mike & Jerry would agree that it's a positive
masterpiece compared to this one.

Of course we all had to wait a couple of years for Elvis to finally
nail the song!

2019-05-29 12:01:55 UTC
Another little known cover, which is better?
http://youtu.be/9P5HwKGWqsg
http://youtu.be/hsGN9fQfIXs
Anyone out there got the *other* American cover of this?

It's the 1953 version by Ike Carpenter & His Orchestra recorded for
Decca with vocal by Effie Smith.

I never heard it but Effie had a real good record in 1956 with her
memorably titled "Champagne Mind (With A Soda Water Income)"

For those that haven't heard it---here 'tis

2019-05-29 18:20:56 UTC
Anyone out there got the *other* American cover of this?
It's the 1953 version by Ike Carpenter & His Orchestra recorded for
Decca with vocal by Effie Smith.
I never heard it but Effie had a real good record in 1956 with her
memorably titled "Champagne Mind (With A Soda Water Income)"
For those that haven't heard it---here 'tis
http://youtu.be/3TuqD_O0mVk
Bruce's inane thread finally led to something interesting. Yes, it's
real good. Thanks.
You don't find it interesting to hear just how bad some of these covers were that major labels actually thought were saleable?
Mark Dintenfass
2019-05-29 21:29:06 UTC
Anyone out there got the *other* American cover of this?
It's the 1953 version by Ike Carpenter & His Orchestra recorded for
Decca with vocal by Effie Smith.
I never heard it but Effie had a real good record in 1956 with her
memorably titled "Champagne Mind (With A Soda Water Income)"
For those that haven't heard it---here 'tis
http://youtu.be/3TuqD_O0mVk
Bruce's inane thread finally led to something interesting.
You don't find it interesting to hear just how bad some of these covers were
that major labels actually thought were saleable?
I still have vivid memories of the age of covers so I know how really
bad they could be. The ones you dug up were even worse. Okay, mildly
amusing for a few seconds, but also kind of pointless to hear, which is
what I meant by "inane."
2019-06-01 00:11:33 UTC

2019-06-01 04:11:14 UTC
http://youtu.be/V7e1575X-kw
http://youtu.be/G_-viEUeTP8
"Little Darlin'" was definitely a one off!

2019-06-01 04:19:34 UTC
http://youtu.be/V7e1575X-kw
http://youtu.be/G_-viEUeTP8
Incidentally the Cleftones original came out here (much later than USA
in September 1956) on UK Columbia as part of one of the greatest
double-sided R&B vocal group singles ever!

http://www.45cat.com/record/db3801

2019-05-22 18:59:33 UTC
http://youtu.be/VMyrIqiRVZU
http://youtu.be/CO4GmLn29Rw
I dislike this trite song by anyone (including Russ Miller + Jimmy
Gavin)

2019-06-03 04:53:20 UTC

2019-06-04 18:33:37 UTC
Two sides of the same record:

2019-06-04 19:00:25 UTC
http://youtu.be/AghP18pU8-g
http://youtu.be/OGV3AjBNvQg
I included this one merely so I could say the five words never uttered
before on this group

I prefer the Paul Anka version

2019-06-06 20:01:11 UTC
For this one it's which version is best.

I prefer the Voices version although the Cardinals version is good too. But there's a third version that some of you may like best.

Roger Ford
2019-06-08 11:14:40 UTC
For this one it's which version is best.
I prefer the Voices version although the Cardinals version is good too. But there's a third version that some of you may like best.
http://youtu.be/3LmeMW8Jca4
Yeah I'm not a real big fan of this song but The Voices have the best
version IMO
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/BdvL1KGg4m4
Not the Cardinals finest moment but its okay I guess
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/ReT0blOANCk
LOL!! Those nerdy guys in glasses

Wait a minute....I wear glasses...........

2019-06-08 11:22:15 UTC
For this one it's which version is best.
How about this threesome?

My favorite is #2 but the original #1 is pretty good too

The last one came out several months after the others---and Clyde is
definitely in last place here in more ways than one

2019-06-08 12:45:17 UTC
http://youtu.be/xPJZYcoLSVE
http://youtu.be/G0Q0asyOCiM
http://youtu.be/Sb--X8aUUq4
I like the Perryman best, but I think you're not quite grasping what this thread is about. It's a sarcastic "Which version is better" as a way to showcase horrendous lesser known covers from our era, like that Gadabouts disaster. It's not to compare actual decent to great versions of the same song, which has been done here many times already over the years.
Roger Ford
2019-06-08 13:29:20 UTC
For this one it's which version is best.
How about this threesome?

My favorite is #2 but the original #1 is pretty good too
The last one came out several months after the others---and Clyde is
definitely in last place here in more ways than one
I like the Perryman best, but I think you're not quite grasping what this t=
hread is about. It's a sarcastic "Which version is better" as a way to show=
case horrendous lesser known covers from our era, like that Gadabouts disas=
ter. It's not to compare actual decent to great versions of the same song, =
which has been done here many times already over the years.
Okay point taken

I'll see if I can dig up some horror shows that haven't been mentioned
on here much if at all before

2019-06-15 23:23:09 UTC
Not one that I would have expected a white cover on!

Tony
2019-06-17 13:05:52 UTC
http://youtu.be/VMyrIqiRVZU
http://youtu.be/CO4GmLn29Rw

Tony
2019-06-17 13:18:28 UTC
http://youtu.be/VMyrIqiRVZU
http://youtu.be/CO4GmLn29Rw

SavoyBG
2019-06-17 14:36:39 UTC
Post by Tony
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/VMyrIqiRVZU
http://youtu.be/CO4GmLn29Rw
http://youtu.be/4QhR5IuphiU
http://youtu.be/SaC5ZKRjLUM
Tony, you two are missing the idea of the thread. It's a sarcastic "which version is better" where we showcase horrendous pop covers.
SavoyBG
2019-06-17 22:39:56 UTC

2019-06-18 03:13:39 UTC
The Penguins version or this version:

Roger Ford
2019-06-18 05:01:45 UTC
Post by Tony
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/VMyrIqiRVZU
http://youtu.be/CO4GmLn29Rw
http://youtu.be/4QhR5IuphiU
http://youtu.be/SaC5ZKRjLUM
Tony, you two are missing the idea of the thread. It's a sarcastic "which version is better" where we showcase horrendous pop covers.
You should have made this clearer at the outset. The header just says
"WHICH VERSION IS BETTER?".

And IIRC you started with "I Sit In My Window" where----yes the Crew
Cuts cover lives up to the groups usual standard in being pretty
"horrendous"----but on a song where I dislike the original too (and
the other Gavin cover) so the premise you suggest doesn't quite work

Are you claiming that the Crew Cuts version is not much worse than the Four Fellows version?????
Roger Ford
2019-06-18 06:47:38 UTC
Post by Tony
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/VMyrIqiRVZU
http://youtu.be/CO4GmLn29Rw
http://youtu.be/4QhR5IuphiU
http://youtu.be/SaC5ZKRjLUM
Tony, you two are missing the idea of the thread. It's a sarcastic "which version is better" where we showcase horrendous pop covers.
You should have made this clearer at the outset. The header just says
"WHICH VERSION IS BETTER?".
And IIRC you started with "I Sit In My Window" where----yes the Crew
Cuts cover lives up to the groups usual standard in being pretty
"horrendous"----but on a song where I dislike the original too (and
the other Gavin cover) so the premise you suggest doesn't quite work
Are you claiming that the Crew Cuts version is not much worse than the Four Fellows version?????
I'm simply claiming that from my point of view this is not a very good
example of what you're saying you're trying to show here because I
don't like the song at all even in the original version.

For me the comparison clearly doesn't work the way you're
advocating---as say the galactically huge divide between the Richard
and Boone "Tutti Frutti" or "Long Tall Sally" do

I have 7 and 1.
Roger Ford
2019-06-18 13:36:08 UTC
Post by Tony
Post by SavoyBG
[...]
From 0 through 10, rate both versions of "I Sit In My Window."
I have 7 and 1.
Probably 4 and 1.

The Fellows have better vocals certainly but I dislike the song enough
to rate even theirs sub-average