My Last Meal - Jimmy Rogers [Chess] - 1959
2020-07-22 08:49:41 UTC
a tale of a condemned man ordering a *surreal* last meal (...dinosaur
eggs over easy...female banana...) to forstall that long walk to the
chair

[original lyrics]
"I heard the warden say
I had one more day
One last meal before they led me away
And he said, if we ain't got it
We'll go out and get it
You won't have to go 'til we come back with it
So I said..."

https://www.discogs.com/Jimmy-Rogers-Rock-This-House-My-Last-Meal/release/8270844

(with Otis Spann & Willie Dixon)
- from cd

one Hurricane Harry {New York} first recorded the song in 1956 in the
style of Jay Hawkins for Okeh Records

Hurricane Harry w. Leroy Kirkland Orch. - The Last Meal [Okeh 7074]
- from cd
(if you're wondering about the video album cover:
https://www.bluebeatmusic.com/product_info.php?products_id=19693 )
- from 45rpm

the same year, Danny Cobb {New York} released a version on DeLuxe
titled "Hey, Mr Warden"
(posted by Roger)

Hurricane Harry re-recorded the song in the early-mid 60s? with Little
Freddie & The Ripchords on Little Rick Records
https://www.discogs.com/Little-Freddie-And-The-Ripcords-Feat-Hurricane-Harry-The-Last-Meal-Goodbye-New-York-Hello-New-Orlean/release/6991833
audio:
https://wfmu.org/archiveplayer/?show=82593&archive=167703&starttime=00:20:31

OT Bonus - with a great harmonica solo at 1:19 for 50 secs, by Big
Walter Horton

Jimmy Rogers - Walking By Myself [Chess] - 1956
https://www.discogs.com/Jimmy-Rogers-If-It-Aint-Me-Walking-By-Myself/release/3859784
audio:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Rogers
"Jimmy Rogers (June 3, 1924 – December 19, 1997) was a Chicago blues
singer, guitarist and harmonica player, best known for his work as a
member of Muddy Waters's band in the early 1950s. He also had solo
hits on the R&B chart with "That's All Right" in 1950 and "Walking by
Myself" in 1954..."
RWC
2020-07-22 15:56:21 UTC
one Hurricane Harry {New York} first recorded the song in 1956 in the
style of Jay Hawkins for Okeh Records.
'Hurricane Harry' might be the composer of the song, Jack Hammer, a
stage name for Earl Solomon Burroughs, a pianist, singer and
songwriter probably best known as the co-writer with Otis Blackwell of
"Great Balls Of Fire". I've read, on a UK album sleeve from '89, that
a Jack Hammer recorded an unissued version of "My Last Meal" for US
Decca in 1956.
https://www.discogs.com/artist/296493-Jack-Hammer

Decca did release "Football Rock" by Jack Hammer in 1956, and he
certainly sounds a lot like Hurricane Harry:

the poster provides a music career bio for 'Jack Hammer'

(OT trivia: Hammer's youngest daughter, Amelia Hammer Harris, appeared
on season 16 of American Idol in 2018.)
Post by RWC
Hurricane Harry w. Leroy Kirkland Orch. - The Last Meal [Okeh 7074]
http://youtu.be/_ydVSbQKF2M - from cd
The flip is "Pennsylvania Blues", composed by 'Eison' - an anagram for
'Noise' :-)
- another light-hearted psuedo
blues ditty. I like the way he pronounces 'Pennsyl-van-ia'.
This YouTube playlist might actually be appreciated by this
newsgroup's followers (unless you dislike loud 'Jay Hawkins'-like
guttural vocals)
Post by RWC
Hurricane Harry re-recorded the song in the early-mid 60s? with Little
Freddie & The Ripchords on Little Rick Records
https://wfmu.org/archiveplayer/?show=82593&archive=167703&starttime=00:20:31
Could be c.1960 in response to Jimmy Roger's 1959 release (which was
badly miscredited to a 'J. Lane' by Chess).